ADVERTISEMENT

Sipple says

This was the first major decision Frost made (maybe second after picking a coaching staff) and it is becoming more clear that it was wrong. He thought it would be like it was at UCF where AM would take some lumps the first year and then take off. Obviously it hasn’t worked that way, but no reason to compound the problem and keep trotting him out there the next two years, if we have a better option.
I’m not sold on or giving up on McCaffrey or Smothers being the future, but it sure seems like we could benefit from a proven QB transfer to come stabilize the room.
I’m just not certain our current offensive style is even appealing to a transfer QB if they were considering us, esp. if the WR talent is riding the bench right now.
But I would think there’s several QB candidates out there who could accomplish what we want who we could potentially lure away from their current situation.

Reactions: headcard
I’m not sold on or giving up on McCaffrey or Smothers being the future, but it sure seems like we could benefit from a proven QB transfer to come stabilize the room.
I’m just not certain our current offensive style is even appealing to a transfer QB if they were considering us, esp. if the WR talent is riding the bench right now.
But I would think there’s several QB candidates out there who could accomplish what we want who we could potentially lure away from their current situation.
How are you going to judge true freshman Smothers who we've never seen one play of in a Husker uniform? Lukes body of work is also a very small sample size. You guys are tough

As I see it, there are 3 possible answers as to why the team makes so many mistakes in fundamentals. Let me preface this by saying that I don't want to criticize the level of talent anymore. Too many years have gone by and we have recruited relatively consistent over those years to use it as an excuse especially when there are teams out there who do "far more with less" (As if we haven't heard that phrase enough).

So, to me, either we have a lot of players who, while they have the physical talent, lack mental sharpness and are not grasping what the coaches are asking of them or some of our coaches shouldn't be coaching at the D1 level at all. Or it is a combination of the two.

However, If I am to believe we have some decent talent (at least on par with if not greater than most other B1G teams) and I do, it's obviously not translating to wins over opponents we should beat on a more regular basis. In my opinion, this falls mostly on the coaches for not recognizing how to get the most out of that talent, establishing an identity, leaning on what we do well with what we have and avoiding what hasn't worked.

Speaking of what hasn't worked, the bubble screen. There are teams that use it effectively but we have too many issues with blocking and throwing for it to be successful. So, scrap it and save a down for something more reliable. That's just one small example of things to improve upon.
I don't see how somehow we recruited all the dumb players over the last several years. This is definitely on coaching.

How are you going to judge true freshman Smothers who we've never seen one play of in a Husker uniform? Lukes body of work is also a very small sample size. You guys are tough
I mean, Luke had a whole quarter playing from behind to prove himself. Let's move on. LOL WTF.

I like Luke's arm and accuracy so far. I'm ready to see what he's got for the rest of the season. Look at Maryland, a QB with "it" can change everything.

I mean, Luke had a whole quarter playing from behind to prove himself. Let's move on. LOL WTF.

I like Luke's arm and accuracy so far. I'm ready to see what he's got for the rest of the season. Look at Maryland, a QB with "it" can change everything.
Luke might not have 'it', but it's abundantly clear AM doesn't.

better to have a 'maybe' under center than a 'definitely not in a million years'.

I guarantee, there are a lot of people, especially the older people who have been going to games for decades that are sitting at home on gameday due to Covid that are watching on TV wondering if it's worth it to go back to the stadium next season.
This is good, because if they give up their seats, younger people can buy them and our home field advantage will get a lot more hostile. Win.

I think this got misunderstood. ‘Not sold on’ means I haven’t seen enough to believe in them, but that’s not discounting their potential at all, hence the ‘not giving up on them.’. The fact AM is starting clearly shows Frost considers them not ready yet.

I just feel we’re in no position to role the dice on any more development projects, and we’d be better served trying to bring in a more proven commodity to transition us for a year or two. If Luke or Logan beat them out- fantastic, but Luke was always going to be a development project as a QB. I still like his potential, but I’d love to bring in the “poor man’s” Jalen Hurts or Tua’s brother at Maryland, Joe Burrow, Russell Wilson, etc. etc. Go grab a 2nd stringer from a Top 10 team who has maybe played in some games, and we might have better luck. Or maybe better, snatch an overachieving starter at a crappy school who may want to move to the Big Leagues.

It’s amazing how this board sounds just like an Iowa board. I used to do the whole throwing remotes, moping around, etc. Now, I just shake my head. Last week I went trick or treating with my daughter and purposely left my phone at home during the fourth quarter. I knew how it was gonna end.
We didn’t play on Halloween

Perfectly stated. I started watching yesterday’s game 15 minutes late. Never have done that before. Part way through the 4th quarter, a relative stopped by to visit and I shut it off. Something is different. Husker football has sucked for a long time, but Frost has managed to suck out the last bit of hope I had for the program.
I just don't understand the apathy angle. Get a grip people . We are showing some positive signs. We get OSU to start at Columbus and most everybody says good we're Nebraska . We want to play the best.
Hate to tell you all but schedules have consequences. We are 0-2 and probably had no chance of being better than 1-1 but whiners gonna whine.
If you can't maintain hope for the future maybe you weren't the hardcore fan you claimed to be. We are getting closer and football runs in cycles.
How many of you crybabies have taken note of how young this team is ? Do you think that might add to the degree of difficulty at this point ?
The two teams we have played are 6-0. Husker fans the best ? Don't make me laugh.

I just don't understand the apathy angle. Get a grip people . We are showing some positive signs. We get OSU to start at Columbus and most everybody says good we're Nebraska . We want to play the best.
Hate to tell you all but schedules have consequences. We are 0-2 and probably had no chance of being better than 1-1 but whiners gonna whine.
If you can't maintain hope for the future maybe you weren't the hardcore fan you claimed to be. We are getting closer and football runs in cycles.
How many of you crybabies have taken note of how young this team is ? Do you think that might add to the degree of difficulty at this point ?
The two teams we have played are 6-0. Husker fans the best ? Don't make me laugh.
we are 1-7 in our last 8 games, losing each in a more embarrassing fashion than the last

there is zero sign of anything changing

when does basketball start

Answer me this, why is Indiana and Maryland turning it around much faster than us. They are also putting up points. Hell even Colorado finds ways to win. Stop with your excuses and wishful thinking. You want to talk cycles, out of all the “blue bloods” nobody has been more irrelevant longer than us. Frost sucks and stop sugarcoating it. While there are individual players that have improved, no unit has improved to the level that is needed to even be a mediocre 6 win team. Can he get better, yes. And I hope he does because I don’t want to look for a new coach anytime soon.

But you know what, if we do give Frost his time, the best he’ll ever be is a 9 win coach in the weakest division of all power 5.

guys it's like this... when your hungry and you go to the fridge and all you have is some left overs you've eaten the last 2 days but you eat it anyway cause your hungry so you have to deal with what you have... frost is in the same boat RUNNING game sucks... mostly the same O line for the last 2 - 3 years but look what is coming 6' 8 - 6' 10 300 pound plus high schoolers who will kick ass once they get on our weight program... PASSING game sucks the same QB the last 2 plus years and hopefully between 2AM and Luke we can turn it around but when your under pressure ALL the time and the WR's get NO separation any QB will struggle SPECIAL teams suck... I have never seen so many kickers come into 1 class like we did this year and last, obviously frost knows its a big problem and he is addressing it. when have you EVER seen 4 first year WR's play in a year not alone all in 1 game. I agree play calling is questionable but I think when you miss on the talent you recruited you have to run anything that might gain a yard. I was ready to give up yesterday and then I realized I'm a HUSKER fan no matter good or bad GGOOOO BBBIIIIGGGGG RRRRREEEEEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

I don't see Frost taking a veteran transfer quarterback who would come in an compete to be the starter. I think he would see that as disloyal to his recruited quarterbacks and possibly bad for morale.

That's downright scary Penny. At some point, even the hard-core NU fan base will give up if it continues to lose to everybody. I still think HCSF will get it turned around but it's really starting to sting. We'll see....
The Defense is clearly much better. The wide receivers are vastly improved and will show a lot of improvement over the next couple of weeks. The Offensive Line is young but improving each week and will have Cam Jergens back which will help a lot. I think we will play our best game against Penn State which will build confidence, win or lose. Luke will show much improvement in the passing game while the young receivers show significant improvement, including Omar over the next two weeks, I will never stop watching every minute of every game. If we had had the pre conference games to play we would be much better by now. It is going to take one significant positive to go from can't to can win,

Year one tells you what kind of coach you have.

Its been in your face but Husker pride keeps you in denial.

Last edited:
Reactions: oldjar07
Oh great...the guys on the “main” board are coming over to tell the JV members how we should react/think about the impressive performance by the team to start the 2020 season. Winking

8WsTL2t.jpg

Sipple says that Frost needs to be concerned about growing fan apathy. I agree. I grew up in Lincoln. As a boy I sold coke in the stands. I started going to games with my dad in 1965. I have travelled to tons of away games. Was in Norman in 1971. And even though I have lived on the east coast since 1989 I have always flown back to Lincoln every Fall for 2 or 3 games. I am as rabid a Husker fan as you can find. And guess what? I really just don’t give a shit anymore. My pride in the excellence of our football team is gone. Now all I feel is apathy and disgust.
My point? That if I have reached this level of indifference my hunch is so have thousands of other Husker fans.

Frost isn’t going anywhere. He will be our coach for at least a few more years. Too many millions to buy him out in an era of Covid budget crisis. So he needs to look in the mirror really hard and make the changes necessary to turn this around. Because if he doesn’t, our last remaining strength as a program - - fan support - - will be gone.

I agree that the program needs to worry about apathy. I'm a pretty patient guy, without being a "I'll put up with anything" guy and I gave up early in the third quarter. I turned the TV off. Wondered if I'd watch a game the rest of the season. It doesn't mean much if the only wins you can beat are the third tier teams.

I believe that Frost will figure it out but it apparently will take a little while longer.

I believe that there are two reasons that apathy is setting in:

1. It's been nearly twenty years since we've been consistently good. Even with Pelini we didn't reach "consistently good" and he had temper/people skill issues that people weren't willing to deal with. Boiled down: we are tired of waiting and patience is thin.

2. By a majority, Frost was the savior. So to find out he isn't the "immediate" savior is hugely disappointing to a very worn out fan base.

Personally, I think that he will get it figured out. I guarantee that he cares at least as much as any one on this board. Frost has a "nice guy" mentality and I don't have a problem with that. Osborne had the same mentality. One difference tho is that Osborne's nice guy mentality still had room to pull players that were making mistakes.

I was listening to a 95 replay and a penalty was called and the announcers didn't know who the penalty was on. One announcer said "well, look to see who's not in for the next play". There needs to be consequences for repeated mistakes. Whether it is missing one or more play or running stairs next week, at some point consequences need to kick in to solve repeated issues.

Or maybe the players need to take leadership and initiate "blanket parties"!

I jest.

How many were complaining about the tough schedule saying we’d be 0-3 which we might. For some reason frost has a head scratcher game ever year he’s been here like Minnesota last year, no I don’t know the answer. I believe he’ll get 5 years so let’s either back them or walk away and don’t come back. yesterday day’s game sucked but can any tell me is a game ever pretty playing northwestern? They make the game ugly to neutralize their opponents athleticism northwestern is just that so is Iowa to some extent is Wisconsin

Sipple says that Frost needs to be concerned about growing fan apathy. I agree. I grew up in Lincoln. As a boy I sold coke in the stands. I started going to games with my dad in 1965. I have travelled to tons of away games. Was in Norman in 1971. And even though I have lived on the east coast since 1989 I have always flown back to Lincoln every Fall for 2 or 3 games. I am as rabid a Husker fan as you can find. And guess what? I really just don’t give a shit anymore. My pride in the excellence of our football team is gone. Now all I feel is apathy and disgust.
My point? That if I have reached this level of indifference my hunch is so have thousands of other Husker fans.

Frost isn’t going anywhere. He will be our coach for at least a few more years. Too many millions to buy him out in an era of Covid budget crisis. So he needs to look in the mirror really hard and make the changes necessary to turn this around. Because if he doesn’t, our last remaining strength as a program - - fan support - - will be gone.
Frost needs to be concerned with the root cause which pretty obviously is winning games. Win the games and fan apathy at Nebraska isn't a problem. Sipple's observation isn't very profound IMO because anybody with half a brain could have made it.

we are 1-7 in our last 8 games, losing each in a more embarrassing fashion than the last

there is zero sign of anything changing

when does basketball start
Oh my god. When you put like that I'm ready to head to the bathtub with a toaster.

But YEAH, also ready to watch some hoops!

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Everyone has different standards. Yours are lower, no problem. Just like everyone typically finds somebody to marry. Some have certain qualities for their future spouse, some settle for the bar hag. Neither is right or wrong - just different standards.

You make great point! Seriously, after all of the losses since 1998 does it phase anyone any more? I’m not at apathy stage because as a long-time Husker fan I look forward to when they play.

But I’m so numb to the boneheaded losses now that I expect it to happen all the time.

During Big Games I expect us to fall on our faces in spectacular fashion where in the past we rose to the occasion.

For me it is not apathy yet but reality that we will probably lose each game. It is getting hard to be a fan and I see why many are apathetic.
I used to know everything about Neb FB...a true passion. I’d be lucky to name half of the starters now. That said I still cheer for them every week.

Frost needs to be concerned with the root cause which pretty obviously is winning games. Win the games and fan apathy at Nebraska isn't a problem. Sipple's observation isn't very profound IMO because anybody with half a brain could have made it.
I didn’t say it was profound. I said I agreed with it. What is your issue?
Of course winning cures everything. But the point is we aren’t winning and apathy is setting in. So your point that “winning will cure this” really isn’t very profound and anyone with half a brain could have said it.

I agree that the program needs to worry about apathy. I'm a pretty patient guy, without being a "I'll put up with anything" guy and I gave up early in the third quarter. I turned the TV off. Wondered if I'd watch a game the rest of the season. It doesn't mean much if the only wins you can beat are the third tier teams.

I believe that Frost will figure it out but it apparently will take a little while longer.

1. It's been nearly twenty years since we've been consistently good. Even with Pelini we didn't reach "consistently good" and he had temper/people skill issues that people weren't willing to deal with. Boiled down: we are tired of waiting and patience is thin.

2. By a majority, Frost was the savior. So to find out he isn't the "immediate" savior is hugely disappointing to a very worn out fan base.

Personally, I think that he will get it figured out. I guarantee that he cares at least as much as any one on this board. Frost has a "nice guy" mentality and I don't have a problem with that. Osborne had the same mentality. One difference tho is that Osborne's nice guy mentality still had room to pull players that were making mistakes.

I was listening to a 95 replay and a penalty was called and the announcers didn't know who the penalty was on. One announcer said "well, look to see who's not in for the next play". There needs to be consequences for repeated mistakes. Whether it is missing one or more play or running stairs next week, at some point consequences need to kick in to solve repeated issues.

I jest.

I jest.
Good analysis

Took me a while to get in on this but Pennsy, IMO you are spot on. I will give another example that is small, but to me speaks volumes.

My mother is 89 years old. She graduated from NU in '52. She has lived in Lincoln most of her adult life and she loves the Huskers. Talks about how she would sit through blow out losses to support he team, as well as stay to very end of the blow out wins to watch every single 6th stringer play. Once the kids were out of the house she went to every Big 8/Big 12 road game. She still understands football better than many younger, male fans, although it was always funny to watch her stand at Memorial Stadium when she was in her 60's and shout out cheers from her era.

But despite making a short story long, the point of this is that I called her after the game yesterday and she said that she'd had the game on but hadn't watched much of it. This from someone who sat glued to her TV every second for every game she didn't attend in person. That my mother has reached the point that when NU is on she doesn't watch much of the game speaks volumes. Very sad volumes.

I didn’t say it was profound. I said I agreed with it. What is your issue?
Of course winning cures everything. But the point is we aren’t winning and apathy is setting in. So your point that “winning will cure this” really isn’t very profound and anyone with half a brain could have said it.
The point is just what specifically does Sipple want Frost to do other than win games to get more fan support? Does Sipple think he should sign more autographs? Does Sipple want him to attend more charity events? Are those things going to fill the seats when the stadium is back open for business if we continue to lose games? Or does Sipple think Frost doesn't want to win games? There's no unique substance to Sipple's observation IMO - ie. nothing that anyone in Nebraska doesn't already know.

She’s right. Just that a NEBRASKA game was carried on tv was a real treat.
Now, it’s kinda oh hum.

That's not exactly the point. She stopped going to games in her late 70's. She has been glued to the TV for every game since NU joined the Big 10 and was on TV every game. Yesterday was the first time ever she said she was not sitting in her recliner, watching and critiquing every play from opening kickoff to the last play of the game.

Reactions: tarheelhusker
The point is just what specifically does Sipple want Frost to do other than win games to get more fan support? Does Sipple think he should sign more autographs? Does Sipple want him to attend more charity events? Are those things going to fill the seats when the stadium is back open for business if we continue to lose games? Or does Sipple think Frost doesn't want to win games? There's no unique substance to Sipple's observation IMO - ie. nothing that anyone in Nebraska doesn't already know.
Lol. His point is that Frost’s lame excuses are wearing thin with the fans. It isn’t profound. But neither are you.

Year one tells you what kind of coach you have.

Its been in your face but Husker pride keeps you in denial.
Yeah I saw all of this the first game of year one, so I don't know why people are acting so outraged or surprised now. Northwestern hasn't changed anything for me. I want to see how the rest of the year plays out. I hope Frost actually shows something in the remaining games we have this year, because two games into year three, I haven't seen a damn thing.

We aren't gonna have to wait much longer as next year the era of Smothers the Franchise begins as that kid is the absolute real deal and when the real QB battle begins between Smothers and Macaffrey, Logan will walk away with it hands down and there will be no or in between the QBs.

While Mac is very good, he is not good enough to beat Smothers as Smothers has him beat in almost every catagory with a better arm, faster and quicker than luke as Smothers is a T-Mart clone when running the ball with almost the same insane top gear he had prior to injuries as well as decision making abilities (lightning fast blinkers). The only thing that is a wash between them is the competitiveness.

I got a chance back in Oct 2019 to see LS play live down in Bama as I went down there with an ex gf to see her brother who lived in that area and we went to one of his games and it was against the 2nd rated team in Bama's largest class and this kid is for real. What the staff is doing with him now, is getting his arm and body strength built up and conditioned as that's all that's needed as LS already knows the playbook like back of his hand.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT