ADVERTISEMENT

Sinomatic, Apology

Status
Not open for further replies.

CC_Lemming

All-American
Oct 21, 2001
@Sinomatic
This is not an attempt to revive the past discussion, just something I didn't get to post because something came up and the thread got closed. And I can't send personal messages.

I agree completely that communication is a lot different in person, and I feel ashamed for trying to belittle your point of view, rather than just disagreeing with it. I apologize for that.

I don't totally understand your ideas about class and culture, but perhaps the following is right. You seem to think that God created "prime" classes. As was probably apparent, I was speaking of class in a different sense--simply as something which is classified or distinguished from other things. The way I think about it, classes are human ways of carving up the world to conceptualize it. (Well, some classes, especially socio-political ones, were created for more nefarious purposes, e.g., to exclude and marginalize). Some classes are pretty fixed, others are much more malleable and even fleeting (e.g., being sick). A lot of classes are not well-defined (e.g., classes of race). If you think of classes as human ways of carving up the world, no class is in principle immune to revision, since most classes (e.g., biological, cultural) are the product of contingent factors or human ways of defining boundaries. It seems you think there are some classes (the "prime" ones) that are completely stable, have fixed boundaries, and not subject to revision. I guess this would make sense if you think those classes were created by God.

I am really sympathetic to your remarks about WHO you are--you are not defined by a feeling, an action, or even one role you perform. The issue of personal identity is complex. I'd also agree that how you identify yourself does not make you that. (If I conceive of myself as an honest person but I lie all the time, I'm not an honest person, right?). But then what defines WHO we are? I think our character, values, actions, and history. But because my idea of classification does not rest on much more than that, I see no basis for denying anyone classification if that classification in fact coheres with their character, values, actions, and history. That includes desires and proclivities like the proclivity to engage in homosexual activity.

Anyway, this all ended up being a much more theoretical discussion than what I was thinking you were initially saying. So I should have just asked for clarification initially.

Last edited:
It’s a football message board, there are reasons the mods don’t want religion and politics to get involved in a forum where only the written word is involved. Too many of us can’t always accurately articulate what we want to say without offending. Myself included. It’s just better to shut it down.

I am sure if we all hung out at a bar, the conversations would be more civil and the ideas would be more accurately conveyed, but alas this is what we have.

Anyone who get offended needs to realize it is what it is.

It’s a football message board, there are reasons the mods don’t want religion and politics to get involved in a forum where only the written word is involved. Too many of us can’t always accurately articulate what we want to say without offending. Myself included. It’s just better to shut it down.

I am sure if we all hung out at a bar, the conversations would be more civil and the ideas would be more accurately conveyed, but alas this is what we have.

Anyone who get offended needs to realize it is what it is.

good points, thanks, I hope no one took offense to anything I messaged. Certainly wasn't meant as such, but enjoyed the friendly discussion, at least it was friendly from my viewpoint.

@Sinomatic
This is not an attempt to revive the past discussion, just something I didn't get to post because something came up and the thread got closed. And I can't send personal messages.

I agree completely that communication is a lot different in person, and I feel ashamed for trying to belittle your point of view, rather than just disagreeing with it. I apologize for that.

I don't totally understand your ideas about class and culture, but perhaps the following is right. You seem to think that God created "prime" classes. As was probably apparent, I was speaking of class in a different sense--simply as something which is classified or distinguished from other things. The way I think about it, classes are human ways of carving up the world to conceptualize it. (Well, some classes, especially socio-political ones, were created for more nefarious purposes, e.g., to exclude and marginalize). Some classes are pretty fixed, others are much more malleable and even fleeting (e.g., being sick). A lot of classes are not well-defined (e.g., classes of race). If you think of classes as human ways of carving up the world, no class is in principle immune to revision, since most classes (e.g., biological, cultural) are the product of contingent factors or human ways of defining boundaries. It seems you think there are some classes (the "prime" ones) that are completely stable, have fixed boundaries, and not subject to revision. I guess this would make sense if you think those classes were created by God.

I am really sympathetic to your remarks about WHO you are--you are not defined by a feeling, an action, or even one role you perform. The issue of personal identity is complex. I'd also agree that how you identify yourself does not make you that. (If I conceive of myself as an honest person but I lie all the time, I'm not an honest person, right?). But then what defines WHO we are? I think our character, values, actions, and history. But because my idea of classification does not rest on much more than that, I see no basis for denying anyone classification if that classification in fact coheres with their character, values, actions, and history. That includes desires and proclivities like the proclivity to engage in homosexual activity.

Anyway, this all ended up being a much more theoretical discussion than what I was thinking you were initially saying. So I should have just asked for clarification initially.

CC, hey apology accepted, I never held any of what you said in contempt, it is very easy to also not communicate very well on purpose. I'm guilty of being lazy and only typing so much. I use a smart phone, and I usually have more to say but I just get lazy typing, so that's on me.

I believe God created man and woman and we were all in one camp at one time. But then split after a confusion of language at the tower of Babel.

I do not believe in evolution, but do believe in adaptation. So different men came about because of language firstly and then environment and smaller gene pools led us to what we see today due to limited DNA information and language(ironic right!?) being the primary barrier of DNA going very far swiftly.

I really think that folks who say they are a part of the homosexual community end up making that their prison. They paint themselves into a corner with a big bucket of rainbow paint, and totally miss the mark on who they are. And a lot of people are out there egging them on, and in my opinion that's really not helping anyone to become happy with whom and where they are. I believe it just clads their heart with iron and puts a filter in front of their eyes.

However I do agree with you that what you practice changes your character and in the end that is what you become. So a little hypocritical of me as well.

My apologies to you if I come off as a jerk, I don't mean to be, I just can be a jerk. Haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT