ADVERTISEMENT

Silver Linings/drink the Kool aid

Huskerz99

Junior
Oct 27, 2019
It appears we aren’t too far off. With what Ohio State is doing to Clemson and what Northwestern did to Auburn if we make some changes we could be very good next year. If Luke moves to receiver and comes in at QB for wildcat purposes I think we will be okay. Probably not making the playoffs but 9-3 or 10-2 isn’t out if the question. Just need a few more pieces and Frost to make some adjustments but I think January 1st, 2022 we will be playing a Bowl game. Can you feel it?

It appears we aren’t too far off. With what Ohio State is doing to Clemson and what Northwestern did to Auburn if we make some changes we could be very good next year. If Luke moves to receiver and comes in at QB for wildcat purposes I think we will be okay. Probably not making the playoffs but 9-3 or 10-2 isn’t out if the question. Just need a few more pieces and Frost to make some adjustments but I think January 1st, 2022 we will be playing a Bowl game. Can you feel it?

stay off the drugs son

Moos is that you? Otherwise go to bed

There isn’t much difference between us and a lot of good teams. The issue is we constantly do stupid things to beat ourselves. Look at the NW game. More yards against them than anyone they played, but six red zone trips and what 13 points. So close, but so far. We are maddening and have to become tough and disciplined.

At least we're physically in the ballpark on defense. The OL has to take the next step forward. At times, they play pretty well. At other times, they play like shit. One would hope the passing game gets better with more Betts and Brown and then adding a guy like Fidone. Still on #2 though to make that happen.

There isn’t much difference between us and a lot of good teams. The issue is we constantly do stupid things to beat ourselves. Look at the NW game. More yards against them than anyone they played, but six red zone trips and what 13 points. So close, but so far. We are maddening and have to become tough and disciplined.
Can’t be that hard to become tough and disciplined. I say this off season we get up super early and go do some navy seal stuff. Like let’s do team building stuff where we have to row rafts in the water and other navy seal stuff to become more tough and disciplined. Do the small things and we won’t be far off

Can’t be that hard to become tough and disciplined. I say this off season we get up super early and go do some navy seal stuff. Like let’s do team building stuff where we have to row rafts in the water and other navy seal stuff to become more tough and disciplined. Do the small things and we won’t be far off

Haven't we done that shit every offseason?

The difference is that all those deep TD’s from Fields tonight would have been called back for holding if it was Nebraska. We always killed ourselves with dumb penalties

Yes it’s good to know NU lost to one really good team and one pretty good team. Now just stop losing to mediocre and bad teams, and I’ll consider that progress.
Had Adrian played against Illinois I don’t think we lose that one. Minnesota I don’t know what that was. I’m hoping Frost coaches better this year since this board had put him on notice.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Tip to Frost, rank whoever we face the following week number one.

As for where we at, we're not far off from being the best team in the west. We need to execute at a least a B+ level every week.

The only thing separating us from being the best team in the West is special teams and dumb costly mistakes. We lost to Northwestern by 8 with a wide receiver playing QB. We lost to Iowa purely because of special teams. Wisconsin was mediocre this year. It's up to Frost now to clean things up and get us playing for division titles again.

The only thing separating us from being the best team in the West is special teams and dumb costly mistakes. We lost to Northwestern by 8 with a wide receiver playing QB. We lost to Iowa purely because of special teams. Wisconsin was mediocre this year. It's up to Frost now to clean things up and get us playing for division titles again.
Yes. This is the good news and the bad news.

Had Adrian played against Illinois I don’t think we lose that one. Minnesota I don’t know what that was. I’m hoping Frost coaches better this year since this board had put him on notice.
I never said anything about Frost being “on notice.” Just because people don’t guzzle Pollyanna bullshit with a funnel and a hose, it doesn’t mean they want the coach fired.

No. Just no. Penalties. Lack of discipline. Poor execution. We do have a little bit of talent and are stronger than in the past, but we are very far off on where we need to be. To even be a top 25 team that is.

What about Minnesota?? Cuz we have Frost and company coaching?

I never said anything about Frost being “on notice.” Just because people don’t guzzle Pollyanna bullshit with a funnel and a hose, it doesn’t mean they want the coach fired.
I am one who put him on notice. I still do. It shows we have some decent players but we have some dysfunction when it comes to execution. But I think we have the players to be a pretty decent program. If Frost can’t figure it out I think someone else will.

No. Just no. Penalties. Lack of discipline. Poor execution. We do have a little bit of talent and are stronger than in the past, but we are very far off on where we need to be. To even be a top 25 team that is.
So a coach who instills discipline would have us in the top 25 every year?

Reactions: onll2004
I don't get this "we are not far off" sentiment. Is this because we beat Rutgers, who were missing many of their key players? It certainly isn't because we lost at home to a 3-4 team who was missing a one third of their players. We have had 4 players drafted in the past 4 years, none higher than the 5th round. The past two seasons we have had two players on the all conference teams, and one was a transfer kicker. We haven't beaten a ranked team in 5 years, and the last one was #22 Oregon who finished 4-8. We have been on the lower half of the rather weak B10 West standings for the last four seasons. You know who else has finished in the bottom half of the West the last four years? Nobody, only us.

We may be on the cusp of being a 2nd or 3rd place team in the Big 10 West, but that is more hope than anything rooted in factual evidence.

Last edited:
Coach Frost has proven to be incapable so far of fielding a team that consistently executes basic football fundamentals. Those fundamentals include kickoffs, kickoff defense, punting, punt returns, blocking, tackling, running to open holes, correct zone reads, mid-downfield passing success, taking what the defense gives, clock management, game management, penalty mitigation, limiting turnovers, and in-game and halftime adjustments. The key to my rant is "consistently". Some games the turnovers are OK, but the special teams are horrible. Some games the penalties are OK, but he decides to go air-Marino on the worse run defense in the league. Until this staff can get the team to consistently execute football fundamentals, which most high school teams seem to manage, Nebraska will always be a team that is "close", but "no cigar".

Did you watch the game at all? We're nowhere ****ing close to either of those teams.

Right now this team can barely crawl. Thinking about few changes we will be abel to run. I would love nothing more then to win 9+ every year. But would love to see you be right

Reactions: countrybob

What else is in the Kool Aid?

I love your optimism but we are a long long ways off. I mean light years away.

We need a QB that can see open receivers to keep defenses honest. We need a stud RB or two. O-Line and coach Austin can’t protect the QB. Defense played much better this year but we are losing some solid Senior players. Special Teams is non-existent. Nothing will improve until Frost stops focusing on calling plays and takes on a CEO role and manages ALL aspects of the team which I don’t see happening.

We can’t handle the good teams or some bad teams in our division let alone the pinnacle team Ohio State. We are the worst team in our division actually. Sorry for sounding all doom and gloom but I’m just keeping it real.

If we just have a winning record with next year’s schedule I will be ecstatic!

If we just have a winning record with next year’s schedule I will be ecstatic!

6 of the 9 conf games are against teams that did not have a winning conf record

2 of the 3 teams with a winning conf record are Northwestern who have a bunch of players leaving and Iowa (both in Lincoln)

They play the 2 worst teams in the east

there are no conf road games against a team with a winning record

the schedule is not difficult - outside of 2 elite teams there isn’t a team on the schedule that in year 4 Neb shouldn’t be expected to win

(Some version of the above is going to get posted whenever the propaganda of having a difficult 2021 schedule gets circulated)

Last edited:
We are a seven penalties and three turnovers a game from being a good team. Tall hill to climb.

I’m not drinking any Kool Aid. This gets brought up every off season and we aren’t any better of a football program since Frost took over. We’re not far away but considering how inept some are, I just don’t see hope in much change. To me the main issue lies with Frost/Adrian/Jurgens. The play caller, the play maker and the center. One of those three always tends to mess up. When they don’t we see good things, but they mess up far more than any top 30 team in the country. Far more.

depends if we run the ball, or expect martinez to turn into joe nameth. maybe if they buy him fur he will.

At least we're physically in the ballpark on defense. The OL has to take the next step forward. At times, they play pretty well. At other times, they play like shit. One would hope the passing game gets better with more Betts and Brown and then adding a guy like Fidone. Still on #2 though to make that happen.
Exactly. It's what I mean when I say "I've seen some really good things from the Huskers". I agree that physically we're getting there. Physically I think for underclassmen our young guys look pretty darned good. They are NOT the freshman O lineman like Ohio State has in Paris Johnson Jr. That dude would have started for us when he got out of his car when he got to campus. 5 star, #1 OT in the country and man he looked like it when he trotted in for their injured starting guard. They never missed a beat.

All that said and as you said, physically I think we're getting there. I think Duvall is doing his job and we're recruiting lineman specifically who have the potential to get to where they need to be for us to be successful. That hasn't been the case since Callahan was fired IMO with the exception of Jaimes IMO. I see way more speed in these last 2 classes as well. When I saw OSU's WRs blow by Clemson's DBs it confirmed my early season posts on how good those guys are. We HAVE to find at least one guy like that every year IMO. OSU has amazing talent. I'm afraid barring some NFL team backing up a Brinks truck to Day's house, that OSU is going to be the B1G bully for a long time. The only question from year to year is what kind of QB play will they get.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT