ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP: Ron Brown gone?

Found this quote interesting:

The hype machine around here has transfer quarterbacks winning Heisman Trophies, Frankie London as the next Tommie Frazier and Jeff Perino as the next Brook Berringer before they’ve even taken a snap,” Frost said. “I think that does affect our kids. They can buy into that too fast — probably doesn’t help their development — and then when they don’t play well, things can turn on them, and that’s hard to do deal with, too.”

Who, exactly, is doing the over-hyping?

The hype machine around here has transfer quarterbacks winning Heisman Trophies, Frankie London as the next Tommie Frazier and Jeff Perino as the next Brook Berringer before they’ve even taken a snap,” Frost said. “I think that does affect our kids. They can buy into that too fast — probably doesn’t help their development — and then when they don’t play well, things can turn on them, and that’s hard to do deal with, too.”

I remember Frost's first year, a reporter made note of Frost's hyping of freshmen and saying it was something Osborne would rarely (if ever) do. Different times, but Frost certainly is a culprit here.

I think Adrian said it during this season: kids these days aren't taking to the tough love as well as in the past.

Once again blaming others and taking no responsibility. Until he takes some personal responsibility, he has zero chance of success here.

My new favorite word to despise..... reimagining, reimagine etc. Can we just say change. You can't just hit a reset button and get a mulligan. There's consequences AND a realization that there's a reason for change

My new favorite word to despise..... reimagining, reimagine etc. Can we just say change. You can't just hit a reset button and get a mulligan. There's consequences AND a realization that there's a reason for change

But how can people make themselves seem like visionaries with great plans?

Ron was a good coach a decade plus ago but he got let go and they are trying to let him down easy ... the fact that they initially tried to bury this in a footnote of an article with a title about a special team analyst released on a holiday weekend speaks volumes

maybe in the search for a guy to fill this role they will focus on someone qualified for the job rather than a friend and "hero" of the head coach

lost a lot of talent because a "hero" of the head coach was hired rather than someone qualified for the job

Which is why another change with Frost’s program bears worth watching closely, because it could help NU in a key area where it has struggled some: Recruiting and retention of players.

Frost wants to reimagine the director of player development role previously held by longtime Husker staffer Ron Brown, who Frost calls “my hero” but was no longer a good fit for what Frost envisions.

That role is almost all-encompassing, and if you have a really good guy in that role, it takes a lot off everybody else’s plate and it helps the players out a lot. Ron was really good at some of those things but he’s getting old. Even though he’s my hero, he’s getting old. Maybe going over to dorm three times a week wasn’t in his wheelhouse.”

Frost suggested the need for a new guy was “partially” underlined by “having a handful of kids who left before the season even really started, and having somebody here who made sure they got integrated into life and feel comfortable.”

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT