ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP - Rivals reporting tonight Raiola being retained ...

With Jurgens declaring and Nouili getting suspended, along with Teddy going down as well as Keith Williams and the raw material was weak for any P5 team.

Combine that with CT's injuries and then his missing games, during that period, and the "QB Coach" shares much of the "blame" for the offensive woes.

2022 was a season to just turn the page and try to look forward to a new coaching staff and hope NU has better luck with injuries.
CT WENT DOWN AND MISSED GAMES BECAUSE OF THE O-LINE

With Jurgens declaring and Nouili getting suspended, along with Teddy going down as well as Keith Williams and the raw material was weak for any P5 team.

Combine that with CT's injuries and then his missing games, during that period, and the "QB Coach" shares much of the "blame" for the offensive woes.

2022 was a season to just turn the page and try to look forward to a new coaching staff and hope NU has better luck with injuries.
That’s a lot of excuses and sunshine pumping for Raiola. And none of if proves that he’s any good even if it were all the causes of the issues on the online. Honestly Williams O-lines looked way better and we’ve always had injures.

If you want to pump sunshine- at least go with the narrative that Rhule’s coached O-Line. Most of this staff has. The one thing Raiola has is fire. Rhule likes fire. The staff can help DR with teaching and improvement but I think Rhule really likes how DR has passion.

Now I’m not Rhule’s press secretary like Dinglefritz. I dont to kid myself when we lose two bad ass 4 star WRs and get an unknown and act like we made out like roses on the deal, but I do kind of see this move. I understand Rhule’s a hard ass especially when it come to the line plays. He wants fire. DR is a “let’s kick some ass” kind of guy. I think Rhule believes he can help DR teach where he’s weak but you can’t teach the fire.

I readily admit that I’m not an Xs and Os guy but even I understand that. Between Whips offense, the suspension, the injuries and the talent limitations I thought our O linemen made some progress this season. Man we need to find at least one tackle and a center now.
If Teddy and Nouli were healthy and eligible our OL is a different group.

If Teddy and Nouli were healthy and eligible our OL is a different group.
LOL by definition. But that wasn’t the case and we didn’t see coaching that overcame the injuries. Your argument leans toward a strawman defense

Raiola hasn't really had a fair shake, with what he had to work with. However I didn't see any improvement with the line all year. None of us know more than Rhule, so I guess you have to take the wait and see approach... Rhule, Satterfield, and Foley have all been O Line coaches at some point. They must see something we don't 🤷.

Im more concerned that he hasn't been able to announce a DC yet. We have coaches going into recruits living rooms and telling them they don't know who their coordinator is, or what system they're going to run. That's not good for recruiting, I'm much more concerned about that right now! I know success all starts in the trenches but like I said you got to believe Rhule and co know what they're doing there...

Reactions: BleedRed78
First takeaway is this isn’t a drinking-buddy hire. Raiola got s***t-sandwiched between 2 different types of convoluted OL schemes of Greg Austin/Frost and Whipple. Those ridiculously nonsensical and over complicated schemes are why many of our offensive players have blossomed elsewhere. I truly don’t think you can put last year’s blame on Raiola’s shoulders.

And the last time I checked, it isn’t Raiola’s fault that our OL were in D2-shape to play 4Qs of D1-P5 football. That’s the strength coach’s job.

Last edited:
We lost a freaking high NFL draft pick center and replaced him with a walk on. WTH did you expect.
And lost a starter to suspension then the LT got hurt and lost for the season. Forcing another player to move- from being a promising left guard to a struggling left tackle. Add to that trying to teach a new offense and techniques while Frost won’t let you go live.

Raiola must not have been the initial choice or one would think he would have been named immediately so he could go out on the road recruiting. It happens, sometimes plans have to be changed for one reason or another.

Geez the Bears are better because of Fields. Period. All Raiola did for the bears was work with their young linemen and practice squad players. He was an assistant O line coach.

We lost a freaking high NFL draft pick center and replaced him with a walk on. WTH did you expect.
Probably a future Pro Bowler at center.

It's just strange to me that Rhule talked a lot about the importance of Offensive Line and how everything starts up front, yet OL is the one position where he hires a coach who he has no experience working with before.
Rhule is a proponent of showing kids the path to the NFL. Raiola has walked that path and done it recently. I think he knows a lot more football than we're giving him credit for.

Raiola has only been here a year in rough conditions so it isnt enough sample size to say he’s bad. My question is whats he like on the recruiting trail? And thats a genuine question cuz i dont know and we need some horses.

It is a tad disappointing that with rhules supposed expertise with offensive line and his supposed connections that he didnt bring in a proven slam dunk experienced o line coach. Theres no doubt that would be preferable, but the jury should still be out on raiola.

At least I know what I don’t know. 😉. My fellow keyboard kowboys have been bashing him nonstop and I just had this feeling that he was doing a better job than he was getting credit for.
In Raiola's defense, I doubt there is a coach on earth that could have done much with the group of OL that are on the Husker team. Fat, slow, perhaps not exactly mentally sharp, etc. Until the O and D lines are upgraded, expect few wins.

***With apologies to Antwill. If I read the thread I would have known he said much of this first.***

The head coach's philosophy makes a huge difference in how assistants perform. Charlie McBride was a horrible defensive coordinator in the late 80s into the 90s. He was ready to be run out of town. Osborne forced a change in philosophy (from 5-2 monster to the 4-3) and in recruiting (focusing on speed and leanness) and McBride became a wizard.

I'll give Raiola a chance especially knowing the head guy understands o-line.

Last edited:
I remember when people wanted to run Charlie McBride out of town on a rail. Then TO decided to change the defensive scheme and recruit speed.

Let's give Raiola a chance under Rhule. We may be very pleasantly surprised.
So Raiola = McBride? 👍

Otherwise what’s the point of comparing apples to oranges?

I remember when people wanted to run Scott Frost out of town on a rail. Then Trev decided to have him change his staff, and the team got even worse

Last edited:
THis probably means Raiola is pretty good because you literally know nothing.
LOL. Anyone with a brain and even a tiny bit of knowledge of the game of football could tell this was the worst performing unit on the field last yr. and it really wasn't even close. reason(s) to excuse are just that....excuses. Injuries, personnel issues, etc.. happen on every team...every yr. Raiola shouldn't have ever been hired by Frost from the jump. He was never qualified to coach Oline here...just like Mickey was never qualified to be HC at Neb.

But but but... He hasn't worked with Rhule before, shouldn't we be shouting from the rooftops 'Hallelujah'!!!!!

Rhules the coach, he makes the decision, as mentioned he and a few others know what they are looking for in OL and maybe they see something. We can bitch and moan all we want doesn't change the fact.

Also, MAYBE keeps us in with Dylan and on top of that him and Jimmy L. were captains and played their college careers together

I love this board LOL

It is surprising that Raiola was retained, the only coach retained. Raises some eyebrows.

Rhule is in the honeymoon phase. He can do whatever he wants. If the team looks fundamentally sound, all is good.

***With apologies to Antwill. If I read the thread I would know he said much of this first.

The head coach's philosophy makes a huge difference in how assistants perform. Charlie McBride was a horrible defensive coordinator in the late 80s into the 90s. He was ready to be run out of town. Osborne forced a change in philosophy (from 5-2 monster to the 4-3) and in recruiting (focusing on speed and leanness) and McBride became a wizard.

Because Rhule kept him and is no dummy, I wonder if the two sat down and talked o line philosophy and concepts extensively with Raiola doing most of the taking. Assuming Raiola hit it out of the park and jived with Rhule's vision, it then became an easy decision to keep him. That, and he probably did not have that position pre-chosen, as in he couldn't get his first choice or two.

People need to settle down. Raiola knows elite line play and people vouch for him. It's just that we don't know him all that well and he was not a miracle worker his first year which is unfair IMO.

LOL. Anyone with a brain and even a tiny bit of knowledge of the game of football could tell this was the worst performing unit on the field last yr. and it really wasn't even close. reason(s) to excuse are just that....excuses. Injuries, personnel issues, etc.. happen on every team...every yr. Raiola shouldn't have ever been hired by Frost from the jump. He was never qualified to coach Oline here...just like Mickey was never qualified to be HC at Neb.
You are a full on dumb****.

I don't think Raiola is a fantastic hold over, but you've got Rhule focusing on the lines and you also have Foley on staff who has like 18 years of teaching OL. I have no idea how good he was, but at the end of the day, Rhule has a track record of building lines and I'll go with it for awhile. Seems to be doing it the right way so far.

We also have to look at the rest of the staff, missing staff and the budget. While Rhule has a huge assistant budget. It isn't infinitive. He is going to have to balance that along with everything else. Considering that he has stated over and over again that line play is the key for him for winning, I have to believe he knows what he is doing.

I don't think Raiola is a fantastic hold over, but you've got Rhule focusing on the lines and you also have Foley on staff who has like 18 years of teaching OL. I have no idea how good he was, but at the end of the day, Rhule has a track record of building lines and I'll go with it for awhile. Seems to be doing it the right way so far.
So it seems like Rhule and his staff have the Oline covered.

In Raiola's defense, I doubt there is a coach on earth that could have done much with the group of OL that are on the Husker team.
Is Raiola an ace recruiter?

Serious question.

Because he's either got to:

1) massively improve the guys he has or

2) bring in better talent for his unit

Unless we want a repeat of 2022.

***With apologies to Antwill. If I read the thread I would have known he said much of this first.***

I posted none of that first. I try to just throw my thoughts out there and let people read between the lines. Winking

Because Rhule kept him and is no dummy, I wonder if the two sat down and talked o line philosophy and concepts extensively with Raiola doing most of the taking. Assuming Raiola hit it out of the park and jived with Rhule's vision, it then became an easy decision to keep him. That, and he probably did not have that position pre-chosen, as in he couldn't get his first choice or two.

People need to settle down. Raiola knows elite line play and people vouch for him. It's just that we don't know him all that well and he was not a miracle worker his first year which is unfair IMO.
I guarantee this happened. Not only with Rhule but also with all the other coaches on staff who have o-line coaching experience. Raiola obviously impressed him enough to offer him the job. I hope that it works out.

Maybe the OL sucked because they were slow and weak as shit because of the S&G coach? Maybe thats super obvious for a dude like Rhule. Maybe Raiola interviews well, is a stand up guy who doesnt beat women, sold his method to the new coach and out classed the other guys on his list.

ADVERTISEMENT