ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP: reported that all UCF assistants coming except...

So that leaves 3 spots Open Wr, TE, and OC counting the 10th assistant in January.

I am thinking they wait if Sumlin is hired, he probably comes for sure.

Sorry for my poor memory but did Osborne have an OC? Was that Frank?

Frank had the title, relayed down what he was seeing and TO called the plays.

There's a good video out there somewhere with Tom talking about a play during (I think) the Orange Bowl against Tennessee. They have Frank sharing his thoughts, recorded from the booth on what he thought was open. It was, TD Nebraska.

So that leaves 3 spots Open Wr, TE, and OC counting the 10th assistant in January.
Unless you take some of the load off the linebacker, special teams coach and keep Bray. Then you might see his QB coach get the OC title.

If Ruud is going to coach, wouldn’t that be 2 since he wasn’t a coach @ UCF. Guessing WR & OC?
What's Ruud going to coach? I suppose maybe he could be the special teams coordinator and help with linebackers taking some load off of the Frost's linebacker/ST coordinator.

There is a possibility that Ryan Held could be the TE coach. The OT recruit from IWCC said so, unless he was confused.

Reactions: HuskerDana
He's definitely coming unless somebody offers him a head coaching job...which I don't see. He'll be an upgrade over Diaco. He loves to attack and blitzes a lot.
I'll admit, I didn't watch any ucf games this year until the CCG this weekend, but his defense worries me. Should we be concerned?

I'll admit, I didn't watch any ucf games this year until the CCG this weekend, but his defense worries me. Should we be concerned?
I believe his defense was top 25 in scoring until the last 2 games when they faced USF and Memphis, which had 2 pretty good offenses. The first time they played, he held Memphis to 13 points. I honestly don't know much more about him, but if Frost thinks he's good enough, then I will give him a chance.

Yeah it isn't great. This is probably the biggest concern. Hard to know how it translates to the BIG10
UCF total D 93rd
Neb total D 103rd

UCF red zone D 70th
Neb red zone D 101st

UCF rushing D 66th
Neb rushing D 114th

UCF passing D 110th
Neb passing D 61st

There are other stats as well.http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/694/p2

Reactions: HuskerHusaria
Memphis has a good O, they beat UCLA earlier this year. UCF D was solid most of the year, the starters were out of a lot of the games by the third quarter so I’m not sure the yardage statistics really tell the whole story. That said UCF’s D did seem to regress towards the end of the year.

Reactions: HuskerHusaria
Reactions: HuskerDana
Yeah it isn't great. This is probably the biggest concern. Hard to know how it translates to the BIG10
UCF total D 93rd
Neb total D 103rd

UCF red zone D 70th
Neb red zone D 101st

UCF rushing D 66th
Neb rushing D 114th

UCF passing D 110th
Neb passing D 61st

There are other stats as well.http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/694/p2

Off the UCF website:

2016 Defensive Stats (National Rankings)

• Red Zone Defense - 70.7% (2nd)
  • Defensive TDs - 5 (3rd)
  • 3rd Down Defense - 29% (6th)
  • Tackles for Loss - 7.9/game (9th)
  • Sacks - 2.92/game (17th)
  • Turnovers - 26 (18th)
  • Interceptions - 15 (22nd)
  • Fumbles Recovered - 11 (24th)
  • Total Defense - 370.3/game (39th)
  • Scoring Defense - 24.6 ppg (42nd)

I think most of us had reservations about Riley bringing mostly his OSU staff to Lincoln - but that was a team with issues over the last few seasons. Turns out - our concerns were valid. Frost is coming off a 12-0 season - I think allowing him to use that staff (most of it anyway) to make the transition to Lincoln makes alot more sense. Yeah the D hasn't been stellar - but they forced turnovers and the points given up actually were pretty good. My guess is Frost will need to make some adjustments on the defensive side of the ball with his coaches.....what that is who knows. Maybe a co-DC at some point. But this was a staff and training program doing all the right things - makes sense to carry it over and let Frost figure out what adjustments are needed - if any.

My impression is that they had depth issues and wore out, and happened to play the #2 and #9 offenses the last two weeks of the season. Remember they lost a lot on defense from a good 2016 D, only had one recruiting class to refill, so they were relying on recruits that came to an 0-12 team. Some of it also has to do with the fact they turned the ball over more as an offense, and their defense struggled to force turnovers. We are going to be more like an Oregon defense and less like our 2009 defense. Extremely aggressive, force turnovers, Make big plays, TFL and such, but will get gashed from time to time. But if you do get gashed you know you have an offense that can run a play every 12 seconds or so.

I'll be shocked if at least one of the assistants doesn't become a target who fans want fired within a year. I'm betting on Chinander mostly because the uptempo offense will gas his defense no matter how competent he is.

From what I can tell 8 out of the 10 assistant jobs are filled. That leaves two open positions.
Two spots to fill OC, WR and TE, most likely. Could always have a GA coach TE’s and add another DB to OL coach too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT