ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP: Purdue hires Illinois DC Ryan Walters to be new HC

@BoilerN - your thoughts?

personally, I don't believe what he did at ILL was any great shakes

Press man & blitz against the nation's worst (and slowest) offenses works every time - always has, always will. everybody on the planet (our previous DC aside) knows this

perhaps he's really good with intangibles? wonder who else was in the running

Last edited:
Reactions: WHCSC
This guys defense was the main reason for Illinois success the past few years and he will be missed. Bielema is going to need a great replacement on the defense to keep Illinois going. We will now see who is really responsible for the rise of Illinois football. Great hire by Purdue.

Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3

Press man & blitz against the nation's worst offenses works every time - always has, always will. everybody on the planet (our previous DC aside) knows this

My guess is they struck out on a couple bigger names, but timing did Purdue zero favors. I like him over tyson Helton. Illinois fans seem to be upset, some claiming he was the reason they were good and now they will step back. His coaches are important. Young, up and comer that recruits will. Let's see what happens.

Looking at next year, if he can keep the Dline room intact and rebuild the back 7, the defense could be pretty good. Offense needs some dudes. They have mockabee and a fairly good OL. Is Alaimo or Allen ready to play QB? Can one of the many highly recruited WR's step up? I think Purdue had issues either way as it was said a third of the team was going to transfer if Brohm stayed. Hopefully they can get jamarcus shepherd back. I'm cautiously opportunistic, but next year could be tough.

353.gif

Reactions: c3o

Press man & blitz against the nation's worst (and slowest) offenses works every time - always has, always will. everybody on the planet (our previous DC aside) knows this

Is there a BoilerN and a BoilerB posting on this board? If so, are they the same person?

• Haha
Reactions: king_kong_
My guess is they struck out on a couple bigger names, but timing did Purdue zero favors. I like him over tyson Helton. Illinois fans seem to be upset, some claiming he was the reason they were good and now they will step back. His coaches are important. Young, up and comer that recruits will. Let's see what happens.

Looking at next year, if he can keep the Dline room intact and rebuild the back 7, the defense could be pretty good. Offense needs some dudes. They have mockabee and a fairly good OL. Is Alaimo or Allen ready to play QB? Can one of the many highly recruited WR's step up? I think Purdue had issues either way as it was said a third of the team was going to transfer if Brohm stayed. Hopefully they can get jamarcus shepherd back. I'm cautiously opportunistic, but next year could be tough.
certainly going to look a lot different.

will be very interested who he tabs as his OC

Well, he’ll be coaching in the same conference, and same division for at least a season, should continue to work, no?

Sorry, but the game is so much more than you give it credit for.

Well, he’ll be coaching in the same conference, and same division for at least a season, should continue to work, no?
yes, I imagine he will continue having success against the plodding B1G west

what's that mean for the overall ceiling of a program? history says absolutely nothing.

Reactions: cpfball05
yes, I imagine he will continue having success against the plodding B1G west

what's that mean for the overall ceiling of a program? history says absolutely nothing.
I think the ceiling remains the same. Now, one could argue what that ceiling is. With the resources and commitment going into football over the past 5 years, Purdue should push to be in that same conversation as Nebraska and Wisconsin. If not, they are going to waste 200 mil in facilities.

I think the ceiling remains the same. Now, one could argue what that ceiling is. With the resources and commitment going into football over the past 5 years, Purdue should push to be in that same conversation as Nebraska and Wisconsin. If not, they are going to waste 200 mil in facilities.
Nebraska and wisc today? I agree with you.

My question is, what does Wisconsin have in the next 5 years that Purdue doesn't. Same with Nebraska.
a good question

thus far, all of our "advantages" have been anything but

lots of new in a league not used to change

a good question

thus far, all of our "advantages" have been anything but

lots of new in a league not used to change
Not sure it's bad. But then again, I said that 5 and 4 years ago. Purdue is investing finally. In football and basketball.

My question is, what does Wisconsin have in the next 5 years that Purdue doesn't. Same with Nebraska.
All that remains to be unseen, but Rhule has more proven record than a defensive coordinator that hasn’t been at the school who hired him..

I was expecting Walters to get the Colorado job, before the Buffs went the celebrity route. Surprised he landed at Purdue, but could work out better for him.

All that remains to be unseen, but Rhule has more proven record than a defensive coordinator that hasn’t been at the school who hired him..
Sure, he built two schools up. Can he sustain it though? I'm not sure you can say he's guaranteed success. Every coaching hire is a risk.

Reactions: moralvictories
There's always a risk when you hire a successful coordinator who hasn't proven himself as a head coach yet. Sometimes it's a brilliant move and other times they can't make the jump to a new role. We'll see which one it is at Purdue.

Reactions: Danimal4NU
N got the best available candidate. Rhule is smart, thoughtful, tough, well-organized, and has a history of winning at this level. He'll have N in the west division running in no time.

Reactions: 9and4
N got the best available candidate. Rhule is smart, thoughtful, tough, well-organized, and has a history of winning at this level. He'll have N in the west division running in no time.
Doing away with divisions after next year. So winning the west is a thing of the past.

This guys defense was the main reason for Illinois success the past few years and he will be missed. Bielema is going to need a great replacement on the defense to keep Illinois going. We will now see who is really responsible for the rise of Illinois football. Great hire by Purdue.
May give Leonhard a call since there is a connection, but more likely will promote Kevin Kane who was DC at SMU before joining the Illinois staff.

His defense is designed to compliment a run heavy offense. I will be interested to see what kind of offense he brings to Purdue.
Very true. I thought Purdue d would be best described as opportunistic. This guy will be a man to man, nasty defense. Whomever got the IL players to play like they did deserves credit, they were a good unit. If it’s this guy I could see Purdue having to adjust their offense to more ball control so the aggressive D gets the needed rest

Surprised they went defense. Purdue seems to do best with an offensive first team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT