ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP: Lubick hired

It's obviously going to be more than that though.
Adjustments to scheme, finding and putting guys in the best spots, he does that.
I think taking away guys from our offense has started now, in other words, it'll now be pick your poison opposing D's, because someones getting open.
We desperately need to recruit and develop WR. It seemed like last year we always had to scheme someone open, because we didn’t have WR that could get open and make plays against man or zone.

Reactions: TFrazier
Well we had no problem paying Diaco to get an assistant of his caliber. Laughing

Always remember that fit and coaching chemistry matter.
Diaco was extremely overrated from the start and the whole situation was not well thought out. Billy Devaney may be the biggest waste of a salary we've had in the athletic department.

Frost and Lubick will be speaking the same language from Day 1. Looks like Austin will be working run, Lubick pass and Frost game plan and play calling.

Agree, good continuity and familiarity with each other, which is a positive for coaching staff. He looks a little like a spook but maybe that makes him a good investigator and researcher and street recruiter. We shall see. GBR

Reactions: Thrasher31
We should feel good about this, right?

Idk much about the guy.
I have heard a little bit of a mixed bag. I heard he got a little lazy the last year recruiting, I also know FANS said he did not develop the WR room well. There was a real drop off in production that might bear that out. I am going to cross my fingers and hope this is just the type of job/scheme that gets him going and the other stuff is just like some of us, spewing opinions, not fact. I am including myself in that.

It's obviously going to be more than that though.
Adjustments to scheme, finding and putting guys in the best spots, he does that.
I think taking away guys from our offense has started now, in other words, it'll now be pick your poison opposing D's, because someones getting open.

We desperately need to recruit and develop WR. It seemed like last year we always had to scheme someone open, because we didn’t have WR that could get open and make plays against man or zone.

The other part of that equation is making sure we develop the QB to be able to hit open guys. This was not happening in 2019.
A lot of work to do this off season. Hope Lubick can get that passing game humming.

The other part of that equation is making sure we develop the QB to be able to hit open guys. This was not happening in 2019.
A lot of work to do this off season. Hope Lubick can get that passing game humming.
A lot of work between our qbs and wrs. Practice makes closer to perfect.
When a wr knows he's the go to guy, he needs to be ready, find the seam,get the edge,position his body etc.

I just had the feeling it wasnt fine tuned. That should change.

Reactions: headcard
So, we’ve got a couple processed kids today with Raridon and Jefferson. I hope they get to the portal and get 1-2 more 6’1”^ WRs for Lubick to work with. There are some potent weapons in the corps, but need more depth.

Just saw Hazelton from Virginia Tech is transferring for his last year.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
I love the new hire(s). I just hope our next set of excuses for not doing well will be "Oh well our team didn't have enough time to adjust to the whole new coaching schemes and regime. This is their first year being coached under (insert new coaches name) and therefore they need time in order to get familiar with the new system" blah blah blah.

That's what I *better* not hear as an excuse for not making a bowl game again next season.

Diaco was extremely overrated from the start and the whole situation was not well thought out. Billy Devaney may be the biggest waste of a salary we've had in the athletic department.

Bruce Read made more $$ than Devaney if I remember correctly.

Well only Frost could answer that question for sure. However the way it all unfolded, I'd say Frost pushed them out because he was not satisfied with their performance last year. JMO, but clearly the offense and for sure the special team performance was not up to expectations.
Who called the plays on offense? Oh that's right it was Scott Frost

I love the new hire(s). I just hope our next set of excuses for not doing well will be "Oh well our team didn't have enough time to adjust to the whole new coaching schemes and regime. This is their first year being coached under (insert new coaches name) and therefore they need time in order to get familiar with the new system" blah blah blah.

That's what I *better* not hear as an excuse for not making a bowl game again next season.
As with every program under the sun, there will ALWAYS be excuses as to why a program is not doing good.

He called the plays he didn't do the hands on teaching and coaching of players. Thats what the OC/ WR, RB, QB ect coaches are for. If those guys aren't teaching these guys what to do or how to do it correctly, it doesn't matter who calls the plays or what the plays are. Frost made mention many times the last 2 years. The WR weren't in their right spots, or they weren't hitting their blocks. That was on Walters to get these guys doing their jobs. He wasn't, so Frosts Job as an HC was to find a coach who could. Hopefully he did in Lubick.

The thing I kind of read about him, literally and between the lines, is the guy got burnt out on coaching when he moved to U-dub. Notice the time off from coaching. Apparently had a lot of personal issues and problems he needed to work out. Hopefully his time out gave him a fresh awakening.
Not exactly the resume I'd look for in anew hire.

Reactions: Red I 73
Not exactly the resume I'd look for in anew hire.
Former WR Coach of the year, best recruiter the HC at Duke had ever seen, best recruiter at ASU the last 20 years, WR coach and passing game coordinator for a team that played in the National Championship game, former OC at two PAC 12 schools.

What about his resume don’t you like?

Reactions: WHCSC and OzzyLvr

We need to understand something in regards to playcalling. It isn’t a one man deal. There is more to it than people think. The idea that Coach Frost calls the offense without input from up top is not what happens. Vulnerability of the defense is communicated from up top. The familiarity of Lubick and Frost should be a good thing. Yes, Walters and Frost should have had similar familiarity, but there must have been a disconnect to some level with the two.

In addition, last year’s offense was not going to be successful. The concerns of Morgan and Ozigbo being gone manifested themselves in a big way. The hope was that Noa could come in and fill Morgan’s void. As we all saw, that wasn’t going to happen. Then you had the uncertainty of Maurice Washington off and on the field. Mills was expected to fill the Ozigbo void. It took him a good portion of the season, but he ended the season looking like a more than capable back. The Adrian Martinez health factor may be the biggest of the factors with regards to Nebraska’s offense in 2019. I’m interested to see what Adrian’s 2020 season looks like, as he has a lot of critics that he would like to prove wrong. He will have a chip on his shoulder (hopefully that shoulder stays healthy for a full season, he will have an experienced offensive line, he will have an upgraded receiving corp (featuring Omar Manning, JD Spielman, Wandale Robinson, Marcus Fleming, Kade Warner, Darien Chase, Jamie Nance, Will Nixon, Zavier Betts, Jack Stoll, Travis Vokolek, and Austin Allen). I don’t want to make any crazy proclamations, but let’s just see what happens in 2020. I think there are some pieces in place.

Last edited:
We need to understand something in regards to playcalling. It isn’t a one man deal. There is more to it than people think. The idea that Coach Frost calls the offense without input from up top is not what happens. Vulnerability of the defense is communicated from up top. The familiarity of Lubick and Frost should be a good thing. Yes, Walters and Frost should have had similar familiarity, but there must have been a disconnect to some level with the two.

In addition, last year’s offense was not going to be successful. The concerns of Morgan and Ozigbo being gone manifested themselves in a big way. The hope was that Noa could come in and fill Morgan’s void. As we all saw, that wasn’t going to happen. Then you had the uncertainty of Maurice Washington off and on the field. Mills was expected to fill the Ozigbo void. It took him a good portion of the season, but he ended the season looking like a more than capable back. The Adrian Martinez health factor may be the biggest of the factors with regards to Nebraska’s offense in 2019. I’m interested to see what Adrian’s 2020 season looks like, as he has a lot of critics that he would like to prove wrong. He will have a chip on his shoulder (hopefully that shoulder stays healthy for a full season, he will have an experienced offensive line, he will have an upgraded receiving corp (featuring Omar Manning, JD Spielman, Wandale Robinson, Marcus Fleming, Kade Warner, Will Nixon, Zavier Betts, Jack Stoll, Travis Vokolek, and Austin Allen). I don’t want to make any crazy proclamations, but let’s just see what happens in 2020. I think there are some pieces in place.
There is a reason the QB touches the ball every play. They are a very very important factor to an offense working or not working. Adrian was hurt and off his game most if not the whole year, the offense struggle heavily as a result.

As with every program under the sun, there will ALWAYS be excuses as to why a program is not doing good.

And if there are those excuses in year 3 here at Nebraska, then there will ALWAYS be coaches getting fired for that here. Point blank period.

We will see. I don't doubt he was a tireless recruiter when he was younger and had head-coaching aspirations. But he's almost 50 now, and last year he said he left the coaching business because he was burned out, and wanted a better work-life balance and to spend more time with family. Being an assistant at Nebraska means flying all over the country to recruit, spending days away from your family. Hopefully he's recharged after a year off and will put in the effort and energy that Held and Fisher do.
50 is pretty young in coach years.

Former WR Coach of the year, best recruiter the HC at Duke had ever seen, best recruiter at ASU the last 20 years, WR coach and passing game coordinator for a team that played in the National Championship game, former OC at two PAC 12 schools.

What about his resume don’t you like?

No National Championships! No Super Bowl Rings!

When he fails to produce one of those next year, I want it said that I was first to rightfully dump on the guy!

Reactions: headcard
If there Is any worry about him, it is his commitment. According to the impeccably researched Wikipedia, three ago he took three jobs in one offseason, quitting the first two before settling on the third. That is pretty weird.RollingLaugh

There ya go, very next post, Chin up ;)

we had more guys open than walters is getting credit for. not saying it was great, but our QB play was subpar.
If those guys were that open that often, a short passing game will tear up a defense.
If they aren't where theyre supposed to be,but open, is that within the timing of the play? If the wr gets hung up on the line, and he's supposed to be open for a quick hitter, but is tied up on the line, he's out of position, even if open later, where the progression goes away from the reciever,and the qb is then looking elsewheres.
Thus, our guys were out of position, but also open.

Unless we know the read, the progression etc, we don't really know if the guys open when he's supposed to be open.
This is just one example where things get blamed on the qb,but it was the failure of the wr to clear the LOS in time actually

There ya go, very next post, Chin up ;)

So I'm guessing you've just been loooving these past 3 years in a row of bowl-less season in which 2 of them were under Scott Frost and his staff then huh? You just don't got noooothing critical to say about it then. We're just a cruising along n kicking ass without a care in the world to you then I suppose huh?

Get real. It's 2020 now brother.

So I'm guessing you've just been loooving these past 3 years in a row of bowl-less season in which 2 of them were under Scott Frost and his staff then huh? You just don't got noooothing critical to say about it then. We're just a cruising along n kicking ass without a care in the world to you then I suppose huh?

Get real. It's 2020 now brother.
Guessing can be positive, I guess, but right on par, you guessed wrong

And if there are those excuses in year 3 here at Nebraska, then there will ALWAYS be coaches getting fired for that here. Point blank period.
Huh? not sure what you mean. Coaches will be fired for excuses?

If those guys were that open that often, a short passing game will tear up a defense.
If they aren't where theyre supposed to be,but open, is that within the timing of the play? If the wr gets hung up on the line, and he's supposed to be open for a quick hitter, but is tied up on the line, he's out of position, even if open later, where the progression goes away from the reciever,and the qb is then looking elsewheres.
Thus, our guys were out of position, but also open.

Unless we know the read, the progression etc, we don't really know if the guys open when he's supposed to be open.
This is just one example where things get blamed on the qb,but it was the failure of the wr to clear the LOS in time actually

You can come up with all sorts of crap. There were numerous times where Martinez took his drop, had plenty of time, had receivers open, and didnt throw the ball.

You can come up with all sorts of crap. There were numerous times where Martinez took his drop, had plenty of time, had receivers open, and didnt throw the ball.
Whether you like him or not, what changed, or did he do this in '18 too?
But then again, he had Stan. Is that coincidence?
And of course, you've had a coach saying our wrs weren't getting open, now a OC fired, a new one coming in, yet, it's the qb?
Please explain why all these other things?

Whether you like him or not, what changed, or did he do this in '18 too?
But then again, he had Stan. Is that coincidence?
And of course, you've had a coach saying our wrs weren't getting open, now a OC fired, a new one coming in, yet, it's the qb?
Please explain why all these other things?

Martinez was definitely more indecisive in 2019. No idea why.

I'm not saying the WR did great or that a change wasnt justified, but either way, we need better qb play than we got.

I have heard a little bit of a mixed bag. I heard he got a little lazy the last year recruiting, I also know FANS said he did not develop the WR room well. There was a real drop off in production that might bear that out. I am going to cross my fingers and hope this is just the type of job/scheme that gets him going and the other stuff is just like some of us, spewing opinions, not fact. I am including myself in that.
There's a lot of factors that go into it. I have no inside information but wasn't Lubick a co-OC at Washington? How much input did he have and did he get along with the other half, for example? Was he fit with that staff and the offense?

And on the other hand, in Walter's case, why was he so effective at UCF and not at Nebraska? Why did he seem to regress from year one to year two at Nebraska? Was it simply losing Stanley? If so, then maybe his development abilities were limited. In any event, the staff was the same in both places, the scheme was the same. So did he just lose grey matter by drinking Lincoln water or what?

At this point it isn't worth spending a lot of time on those answers because we've got what we've got. You trust the head coach or you get rid of him - that's the choice.

Martinez was definitely more indecisive in 2019. No idea why.

I'm not saying the WR did great or that a change wasnt justified, but either way, we need better qb play than we got.
Fully agree. my guess? is, AM was hurt enough to cause his passes to be bad even, snaps, bad wheel, his knee was braced. I've torn labrums in both shoulders, you can't really reach above your head, and throwing involves a certain motion, a certain balance, using the non throwing side, so that could have been part of it, add in sore knee, another, add in bad wrs, it gets him guessing too.
I'm hoping thats all it is, because year one was totally different.

Huh? not sure what you mean. Coaches will be fired for excuses?

With all due respect my message was so clear and simple that literally a 10 year old could figure it out.

Or maybe you missed/forgot the last message I posted that I was reffering to in which I said:

Point is if we have any more excuses for not making a bowl game in year 3 of ANY coach's tenure, then they will be fired. Point blank period.

With all due respect my message was so clear and simple that literally a 10 year old could figure it out.

Or maybe you missed/forgot the last message I posted that I was reffering to in which I said:

Point is if we have any more excuses for not making a bowl game in year 3 of ANY coach's tenure, then they will be fired. Point blank period.
You sound like a wooried fan from another team. This would be the perfect wish for them.
Oh, don't go all tough guy hard on the coaches mewings, if people haven't learned the continual flipping of coaches firsty weakens your team, then we can use you as an example of that then?

If that's your only answer, insanity is described as doing the same thing over and over but expecting different results. So, no excuses from you, this is all you got?

You sound like a wooried fan from another team. This would be the perfect wish for them.
Oh, don't go all tough guy hard on the coaches mewings, if people haven't learned the continual flipping of coaches firsty weakens your team, then we can use you as an example of that then?

If that's your only answer, insanity is described as doing the same thing over and over but expecting different results. So, no excuses from you, this is all you got?

Oh c'mon man. Enough with that "You must be a fan of another team bullsh*t". I'm not even responding to that anymore.

If Frost comes out and misses yet another bowl game in year 3 of his tenure, I can almost guarantee you he will get fired, and we'll hire someone else like an Urban Meyer, P. J Fleck, Brent Venables, or somebody who either has already or can figure things out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT