ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP: Lubick hired

Looks like some UW fans are upset on the development piece. I think some of that had to do with Peterson losing motivation this last year. Don't know how lubick "ruined their wr room"

then again, when was UW ever Receiver U?? Maybe I’m old but it’s bad when the only WR of theirs I can remember is Spider Gaines.

Reactions: Thrasher31
Helfrich, Brady from LSU
Helfrich conceivably could still come as an analyst. Sincerely doubt he would have taken the WR/OC job and not been able to call the plays. Brady had one year as a passing game coordinator and LSU was his alma mater. Do you really think he was going to come to NU to coach WRs and be the OC who didn't call plays when he had several NFL teams hotly pursuing him to be their OC?

He resigned from UDub in January, 2019. I hope he is a great recruiter and a good coach because nobody resigns from a Power 5 job to pursue a job in private business as he stated when he left the Huskies. Petersen obviously forced him out.
He was not a good fit for Peterson' offense. Again. Frost has worked with him. He knows what he's getting.

Helfrich conceivably could still come as an analyst. Sincerely doubt he would have taken the WR/OC job and not been able to call the plays. Brady had one year as a passing game coordinator and LSU was his alma mater. Do you really think he was going to come to NU to coach WRs and be the OC who didn't call plays when he had several NFL teams hotly pursuing him to be their OC?

Joe Brady played at William and Mary

Reactions: LonghornInOmaha
Well.....that was fast! Not sure how I feel about always hiring your friends tho. Not sure what program that has been working for that has had alot of RECENT success. HOPE it works out tho.....
Well, at Nebraska we've seen with prior coaching staffs what it looks like when a staff is definitely not friends and that didn't work out so well either. I'll take a staff that has cohesion and works together any day.

Kind of reminds me of our feelings about Bob Diaco when Purdue hired him. The general feeling outside of our fanbase(and even from some in our fanbase) was that the one year he spent here was an anomaly and it was a good hire by Purdue. I don't see why the same thing can't be true here too. Not every coach is a good fit in every place. Sometimes coaches do better when they're with people they're familiar with too. I'm not concerned with what their fans think.

We will see. I don't doubt he was a tireless recruiter when he was younger and had head-coaching aspirations. But he's almost 50 now, and last year he said he left the coaching business because he was burned out, and wanted a better work-life balance and to spend more time with family. Being an assistant at Nebraska means flying all over the country to recruit, spending days away from your family. Hopefully he's recharged after a year off and will put in the effort and energy that Held and Fisher do.

I just can’t see why we didn’t go after Joe Brady. You know he would be all over it if Frost offered him a contract.

We will see. I don't doubt he was a tireless recruiter when he was younger and had head-coaching aspirations. But he's almost 50 now, and last year he said he left the coaching business because he was burned out, and wanted a better work-life balance and to spend more time with family. Being an assistant at Nebraska means flying all over the country to recruit, spending days away from your family. Hopefully he's recharged after a year off and will put in the effort and energy that Held and Fisher do.

I mean that's just coach-speak. Why do people take what coaches say so literally? better work-life balance Laughing

really? I misread his bio I guess. My bad.

This is what Wikipedia has about Brady. I know some people don't like Wikipedia, but I checked the Panthers website and they listed William and Mary too

Brady spent four years as a wide receiver for the William & Mary Tribe from 2009–2012. As a junior, he appeared in all 11 games, recording one reception for 13 yards in the win at VMI. As a senior, Brady appeared in 10 games and earned a start against Richmond. He was also chosen to the CAA Academic All-Conference team for the second consecutive season.[2][4][5]

This guy is a bang on hire, but we have to check our enthusiasm and hype for this guy. I mean hell, I could hype him up myself mentioning he helped Frost create some legendary offenses at Oregon as well as helped Washington's offense become so devastating it lead them to the playoffs in 2017 and won them another conference title in 2018, but like I said we must limit our hype and expectations for this guy.

All his long list of accomplishments mean NOTHING until he proves he can be successful at Nebraska and show some results on the FIELD. PERIOD!!!

washington receivers werent the problem....harry
So “within 24 hours” Walters decides to step down then Lubick is contacted, talks to wife about job, contract negotiated, and introduced. I’m going to go out on a limb and say this has been in the works for longer than a day.
weird, you didnt offer an opinion on if you liked the hire

Lubbick is a great hire. Frost is very familiar with him and he fits perfectly with what Frost wants to do on offense. Frost is going to be calling plays so you can forget the pipe dream that he isn't. I never would have guessed Mickey Joseph would have been interested in us in the first place after what he accomplished at LSU this season so I don't feel too bad about missing out on him.

Reactions: WHCSC
Lubick promptly accepted the position of wide receivers coach at Ole Miss that same December. Less than a month later, he resigned to take the same position at Baylor. Two months later, he finally made up his mind and accepted a position back in the PAC-12, without ever coaching a game for the Rebels or Bears.

I think he was on the other side of the field for Oregon when we beat them in 2016. He was their OC.

Don't know why he left UW, but they scrubbed him from their history. He's not listed as a coach on the 2017 or the 2018 coaching staff on the UW football website.

So, we’ve got a couple processed kids today with Raridon and Jefferson. I hope they get to the portal and get 1-2 more 6’1”^ WRs for Lubick to work with. There are some potent weapons in the corps, but need more depth.

Reactions: Oldie but goodie
We should be able to top that, look what LSU pays their assistants, that's what it takes to win a national title.
For an assistant of that caliber, we should have no problem paying it. That being said, Lubick has worked with Frost in the past and have produced some damn good offenses in their own right. I don't think we should overpay assistants, but I do think we should try to get the absolute best and I wouldn't mind having the highest assistant payroll in the country if we were able to get the best ones here.

This guy is a bang on hire, but we have to check our enthusiasm and hype for this guy. I mean hell, I could hype him up myself mentioning he helped Frost create some legendary offenses at Oregon as well as helped Washington's offense become so devastating it lead them to the playoffs in 2017 and won them another conference title in 2018, but like I said we must limit our hype and expectations for this guy.

All his long list of accomplishments mean NOTHING until he proves he can be successful at Nebraska and show some results on the FIELD. PERIOD!!!
Hey Bo, nine wins still good enough? You know, sorta like iowa, just a tad better?

For an assistant of that caliber, we should have no problem paying it. That being said, Lubick has worked with Frost in the past and have produced some damn good offenses in their own right. I don't think we should overpay assistants, but I do think we should try to get the absolute best and I wouldn't mind having the highest assistant payroll in the country if we were able to get the best ones here.
Well we had no problem paying Diaco to get an assistant of his caliber. Laughing

Always remember that fit and coaching chemistry matter.

We should feel good about this, right?

Idk much about the guy.
I am mixed honestly. I don't like that he jumps around like crazy. This program needs stability. In an interview with him he say he is going to keep his house in Colorado, and "be there as much as possible". Most of his friends and family live there. His last year (2018) at Washington he said, his heart just wasn't in it anymore and it took too much of his time from family. Said that this Neb job, came up quickly, and unexpectedly, was one of the only ones he would have taken, do to his relationship with Frost and Neb proximity to Colorado. (So he could be close to home)

Looking at his past jobs. He was a runner up for assistant coach of the year, and won the wr coach of the year at duke (2012)and helped them get to a bowl game for the 1st time in 15 years
At Oregon, he helped Josh Huff set the single-season mark for receiving yards in a season with 1,140 - breaking a school record that stood for 43 years.Oregon set a school record for total offense in a season at 7,345, besting the old mark of 7,319 in 2011, which happened during a 14-game season.
Also hearing he basically recruiting the whole class while at AZ st
Besides 1 year at Duke and a couple at Oregon. I haven't been able to find a ton of standout success at any other places. His last 2 years at Washington he didn't have a single WR over 1000 yrds. Their passing offense was ranking in the 70s
1995 Colorado State (GA)
1996 Cal State Northridge (DB)
1997–1998 San Jose State (WR)
1999–2000 Oregon St (DB)
2001–2004 Colorado State (WR)
2005–2006 Ole Miss (WR)
2007–2009 Arizona State (DB)
2010–2012 Duke (WR)
2013–2015 Oregon (PGC/WR)
2016 Oregon (OC/WR)
2017–2018 Washington (co-OC/W
R)

Hopefully he and Frost can mesh like they did at Oregon and create a dynamic offense together.

Reactions: SoFL Husker
He also was named WR Coach of the year in 2012, when he worked for Cutcliffe.
It's obviously going to be more than that though.
Adjustments to scheme, finding and putting guys in the best spots, he does that.
I think taking away guys from our offense has started now, in other words, it'll now be pick your poison opposing D's, because someones getting open.

ADVERTISEMENT