ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP....Have Scott or Fred made a statement...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look all I’m going to say here is that ALL lives matter... I hate that Mr.Floyd was killed by that officers actions, however his life is no more valuable then the two young officers who were killed at the hands of rioters, two officers that have not received any media attention from what i have seen, all those lives are equally valuable, regardless of the color of their skin... everyone can make statements, however there will never be any true change until there is true action, what that means is that the police force needs to weed out the bad cops, and hold those cops accountable just as they hold the general public accountable, stop circling the wagons around the horrible actions of bad cops... on the flip side the general public needs needs to join together and stand up for what is right, demand accountability. The riots will not change anything, it will only put the poultice in edge, pearly protests are fine stop looting building, stop throwing bricks of innocent animals (police horses) it makes no sense and gets no where... DO WHATS RIGHT and speak up when you see injustice

"You're diluting the issue"
-Ice-T

I'm a huge fan of @TheBeav815 . We are probably polar opposite on the political climate spectrum, but that is cool. For the most part I am here to talk football and we seem to agree more than we disagree on that aspect of life.

However, I tend to agree that we, as a people, become a little more outraged over things based on nothing more than what the media allows us to know. I hate that anyone loses their life as a result of police brutality or whatever. I feel sick watching that dude screaming for his life. But at the same time, I wonder why we don't have videos of a white, Hispanic, asian or whatever color human being abused by police or shot or killed by police, and why we don't, as a society, have this same sort of reaction when those lives are lost.

I absolutely HATE that situations exist, where a person's live is taken by police or any law enforcement. What I don't understand is how blowing shit up, stealing shit, breaking other shit, beating the hell out of others, or whatever, is going to make this situation any different, any better, any more/less just. I just have a hard time seeing how a dude getting a couple of 60" TVs is going to somehow make George Floyd's death any more tolerable for anyone.

Good luck to you all.
Here is the Tonya Timpa video for you, if you really want to see a white guy choked to death by the police.

I'm a huge fan of @TheBeav815 . We are probably polar opposite on the political climate spectrum, but that is cool. For the most part I am here to talk football and we seem to agree more than we disagree on that aspect of life.

However, I tend to agree that we, as a people, become a little more outraged over things based on nothing more than what the media allows us to know. I hate that anyone loses their life as a result of police brutality or whatever. I feel sick watching that dude screaming for his life. But at the same time, I wonder why we don't have videos of a white, Hispanic, asian or whatever color human being abused by police or shot or killed by police, and why we don't, as a society, have this same sort of reaction when those lives are lost.

I absolutely HATE that situations exist, where a person's live is taken by police or any law enforcement. What I don't understand is how blowing shit up, stealing shit, breaking other shit, beating the hell out of others, or whatever, is going to make this situation any different, any better, any more/less just. I just have a hard time seeing how a dude getting a couple of 60" TVs is going to somehow make George Floyd's death any more tolerable for anyone.

Good luck to you all.
Because there is disproportionate killing of black men by cops.

F3.large.jpg

Risk of being killed by police use of force in the United States by age, race–ethnicity, and sex
police-sixth-leading-cause-of-death-for-young-black-men.png

https://news.umich.edu/police-sixth-leading-cause-of-death-for-young-black-men/

That’s half the equation, I’ll be waiting for the outrage, the protests and the nonstop coverage

And heres the worst thing. It will be Ignored by the country and there will be no mass riots going on over this. The white man died, oh well. His life doesn’t matter. And IF whites did rise up and protest this, we’d be called racists. It’s more then F_cked up.

"You're diluting the issue"
-Ice-T
No there is no diluting the issue with my statement... if you feel that way please add some substance as to why you think so instead of just quoting someone... the issue at hand is social injustice, and if you run your own statistical stats you’ll see some surprising facts... what I am saying from my statement is that NOT ONE LIFE IS ANY MORE VALUABLE THEN THE NEXT... I don’t care about the color of your skin of what your profession is, it really is very simplistic, treat other how you want to be treated, treat all humans with respect and dignity, yes some people are criminals, some people are bad, but that does not give the cops the right to murder someone right there in the streets... Now on the other hand, just because there have been cops that have taken lives, it does not make it right to go burn down buildings, steal TVs or anything else in the name of protesting... that is not protesting that is rioting, and looting... do not judge the whole by the actions of the few, and that goes for all races, all religions, all professions, all genders, and all sexual identities...

Reactions: Hyattea
People in public positions (like coaches, politicians, etc.) can and should make favorable supporting statements for equal justice. But getting real, political statements rarely have any lasting impact.

What needs to happen IMO to solve the problem is that local mayors (and in turn their police chiefs) clean up their local police departments to root out any police men or women that behave in a prejudicial manner. And the police all have records on their job behavior/performance so it's not really a secret as to who the offenders are. This is a local jurisdiction matter and that's the level of government where the problem needs to be solved. So everyone can/should insist on their mayors taking action. Vote them in or out based on their actions, not their speeches.

The perp in Minnesota had a track record of something like 17 complaints. So why was he still on the force? Who's responsible for that?

You say people in public positions can and should make statements, but then say they don't have a lasting impact. So what is the point?

What were the nature of the complaints? What was the makeup of the complainant? This cop was doing this in broad daylight with lots of people around who had cameras. Either this was about something more than him being a racist cop who wanted to hurt a minority, or he is hands down the dumbest human being on the planet to do what he did in plain sight with no apparent concern whatsoever that he was being filmed. I would be willing to guess that the complaints about this cop came from all kinds of different people, even people that look like him. My guess is that this cop is a massive pos who, when he had the opportunity, abused his power.

A man is dead, and he shouldn't be. The man who did it, and those who took part in it, will get what they have coming to them. I'm not going to assume this was racism just because of the color of a person's skin. Nobody should. Now, billions of dollars of damage and the innocent lives of many are forever going to be destroyed.

Last edited:
No there is no diluting the issue with my statement... if you feel that way please add some substance as to why you think so instead of just quoting someone... the issue at hand is social injustice, and if you run your own statistical stats you’ll see some surprising facts... what I am saying from my statement is that NOT ONE LIFE IS ANY MORE VALUABLE THEN THE NEXT... I don’t care about the color of your skin of what your profession is, it really is very simplistic, treat other how you want to be treated, treat all humans with respect and dignity, yes some people are criminals, some people are bad, but that does not give the cops the right to murder someone right there in the streets... Now on the other hand, just because there have been cops that have taken lives, it does not make it right to go burn down buildings, steal TVs or anything else in the name of protesting... that is not protesting that is rioting, and looting... do not judge the whole by the actions of the few, and that goes for all races, all religions, all professions, all genders, and all sexual identities...
The saying is a direct rebuke to the ridiculous refrain "ALL lives matter," which is designed to be antagonistic to "black lives matter." Of course all lives matter. Nobody questions that when they say "black lives matter." "Black lives matter" does not insinuate that other lives do not matter. It's a statement (and movement) that raises awareness against the violence and systematic racism targeted at black people. When you see someone wearing a breast cancer awareness ribbon do you go up to them and say that we need to raise awareness for all cancers and make claims that Eve's cancer diagnosis is more important than Adam's? Of course not. Look, as good intentioned as your post may have been, saying "ALL lives matter" is a dog whistle phrase and it dilutes the issue at hand. Who is really claiming that George Floyd's life is more valuable than the officers killed anyway?

Imagine being the coffee shop owner who was cited in Colorado for opening, or the salon owner in TX who was arrested, or the barber who had his lisc taken away for opening his shop.....watching all of this.
So the moral of the story is that if you want to protest, make sure to be as violent and destructive as possible so as to really show others how passionate and legitimate your protest is.

You say people in public positions can and should make statements, but then say they don't have a lasting impact. So what is the point?

What were the nature of the complaints? What was the makeup of the complainant? This cop was doing this in broad daylight with lots of people around who had cameras. Either this was about something more than him being a racist cop who wanted to hurt a minority, or he is hands down the dumbest human being on the planet to do what he did in plain sight with no apparent concern whatsoever that he was being filmed. I would be willing to guess that the complaints about this cop came from all kinds of different people, even people that look like him. My guess is that this cop is a massive pos who, when he had the opportunity, abused his power.

A man is dead, and he shouldn't be. The man who did it, and those who took part in it, will get what they have coming to them. I'm not going to assume this was racism just because of the color of a person's skin. Nobody should. Now, billions of dollars of damage and the innocent lives of many are forever going to be destroyed.
I'm thinking trillions. Time for a another bailout.

The saying is a direct rebuke to the ridiculous refrain "ALL lives matter," which is designed to be antagonistic to "black lives matter." Of course all lives matter. Nobody questions that when they say "black lives matter." "Black lives matter" does not insinuate that other lives do not matter. It's a statement (and movement) that raises awareness against the violence and systematic racism targeted at black people. When you see someone wearing a breast cancer awareness ribbon do you go up to them and say that we need to raise awareness for all cancers and make claims that Eve's cancer diagnosis is more important than Adam's? Of course not. Look, as good intentioned as your post may have been, saying "ALL lives matter" is a dog whistle phrase and it dilutes the issue at hand. Who is really claiming that George Floyd's life is more valuable than the officers killed anyway?
BLM is a racist movement full of racists.

Reactions: OzzyLvr and Hyattea
94% of blacks are killed by other blacks. I’ve hardly ever heard anyone say anything about that. There are no riots to stop it. No speeches. Nothing. Not a thing. Why?
Absolutely !!! I guess the politically correct forces don't want us to bring the true facts up. Ask some of those 94% why they don't think Black Lives Matter !!!!!

How much research have you actually done into the black lives matters movement? I’m guessing you have done very little and only taken the media’s word at face value, and that’s nothing against you almost no body has researched anything into that movement... but that’s another one of those things where people would be surprised if they actually looked into it... now I’m not saying that black lives don’t matter, and I’m not saying all lives matter just to be antagonistic towards that movement... I say all lives matter because that gets lost in this black lives matters movement... we focus so much towards the movement that we over look the cops that have been beaten, the businesses that have been burned, or robbed, if you all care so much about equality where is the gay lives matter? Where is the equality there? Look I’m saying is do research before you jump behind a cause and if you’re going to fight for justice for all, then truly fight for justice for all, don’t label it with a color or anything

How much research have you actually done into the black lives matters movement? I’m guessing you have done very little and only taken the media’s word at face value, and that’s nothing against you almost no body has researched anything into that movement... but that’s another one of those things where people would be surprised if they actually looked into it... now I’m not saying that black lives don’t matter, and I’m not saying all lives matter just to be antagonistic towards that movement... I say all lives matter because that gets lost in this black lives matters movement... we focus so much towards the movement that we over look the cops that have been beaten, the businesses that have been burned, or robbed, if you all care so much about equality where is the gay lives matter? Where is the equality there? Look I’m saying is do research before you jump behind a cause and if you’re going to fight for justice for all, then truly fight for justice for all, don’t label it with a color or anything
any "justice" with a qualifier should be thoroughly scrutinized.

I don't think that the idea that all lives are important is controversial (at least to any reasonable person). I'm not going to make assumptions about your viewpoint, but I think there's a disconnect where people who support the BLM movement mean "Black Lives Matter (Too)" while those who respond with "All lives matter!" tend to hear it as "(Only) Black Lives Matter!" Obviously that extra word on either end makes a big difference.

I imagine we have a similar ideal end state (everyone is treated fairly regardless of race, religion, etc, as you said above) but probably disagree about how close we are to that situation. I think we have a long way to go to get there, because there are long-standing systemic issues that disadvantage various minorities. One of the symptoms of those issues is that minorities are treated differently than white people by police. That doesn't mean that white people are never treated poorly by police -- I think we need to reform our police and approach to law enforcement/criminal justice for everyone's benefit (people of all types and police included).

It's upsetting that the protests have involved rioting and looting. I'm not going to get into the fallacy of pretending they're two separate groups of people, because no doubt there's overlap. I try to keep in mind that the legitimacy of the cause isn't tied to the behavior of some individuals advocating for it.

Anyway, trying not to be confrontational. Hopefully most people want the same thing - peace, freedom, equality, and justice for everyone. Success for Husker football would be nice, too.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I don't think that the idea that all lives are important is controversial (at least to any reasonable person). I'm not going to make assumptions about your viewpoint, but I think there's a disconnect where people who support the BLM movement mean "Black Lives Matter (Too)" while those who respond with "All lives matter!" tend to hear it as "(Only) Black Lives Matter!" Obviously that extra word on either end makes a big difference.

I imagine we have a similar ideal end state (everyone is treated fairly regardless of race, religion, etc, as you said above) but probably disagree about how close we are to that situation. I think we have a long way to go to get there, because there are long-standing systemic issues that disadvantage various minorities. One of the symptoms of those issues is that minorities are treated differently than white people by police. That doesn't mean that white people are never treated poorly by police -- I think we need to reform our police and approach to law enforcement/criminal justice for everyone's benefit (people of all types and police included).

It's upsetting that the protests have involved rioting and looting. I'm not going to get into the fallacy of pretending they're two separate groups of people, because no doubt there's overlap. I try to keep in mind that the legitimacy of the cause isn't tied to the behavior of some individuals advocating for it.

Anyway, trying not to be confrontational. Hopefully most people want the same thing - peace, freedom, equality, and justice for everyone. Success for Husker football would be nice, too.
I absolutely agree with what you said here, and regardless of how my previous posts have came across I also agree that we are not very close to equality.

I fully recognize that minorities have a lot of disadvantages, and I recognize that no matter what minorities are constantly fighting any uphill battle, and I whole heartedly hate that.

My stance of all lives matter is just that, all lives matter, the way I see life is, me as a 35 year old white male, should have no advantage over any other male or female regardless of their race, color, or sexual preference. That is not the America that I signed up to fight for, that’s not the America that I want my kids to grow up in... I want my kids, who are mixed to not have to worry about any in equalities I don’t want anyone to worry about any in equalities.

I will say though I think you and I see things similarly, the only difference for me is i don't say black lives matter, not because they don’t, because they absolutely do, but because that movement has openly called for riots, and looting, and violence, especially in the past... so for that reason I don't use the phrase black lives matter, but instead choose to say all lives matter, that’s not to insinuate that others don’t think all lives matter.

Reactions: Hyattea and Enrozes

End thread.

I absolutely agree with what you said here, and regardless of how my previous posts have came across I also agree that we are not very close to equality.

I fully recognize that minorities have a lot of disadvantages, and I recognize that no matter what minorities are constantly fighting any uphill battle, and I whole heartedly hate that.

My stance of all lives matter is just that, all lives matter, the way I see life is, me as a 35 year old white male, should have no advantage over any other male or female regardless of their race, color, or sexual preference. That is not the America that I signed up to fight for, that’s not the America that I want my kids to grow up in... I want my kids, who are mixed to not have to worry about any in equalities I don’t want anyone to worry about any in equalities.

I will say though I think you and I see things similarly, the only difference for me is i don't say black lives matter, not because they don’t, because they absolutely do, but because that movement has openly called for riots, and looting, and violence, especially in the past... so for that reason I don't use the phrase black lives matter, but instead choose to say all lives matter, that’s not to insinuate that others don’t think all lives matter.

That's cool man, I'm glad that you feel that way. I'll say, as was pointed out above, that you have to be aware of the implications and connotations attached to certain language. I get where you're coming from and why you prefer "all lives matter," but I'm sure you can see why some people who don't understand your motivations might react with hostility. I'd humbly suggest you try something else, but obviously you're free to speak your mind in whatever way you believe is best.

Go big red.

You guessed wrong, then.

See Fred’s statement.... he has an incredible platform for not only change but relationships with his kids.
Nothing a coach says or does will cause change of knucklehead racists. I wouldn't criticize him making a statement but I think the statements he makes to his players are more important than trying to change the behavior of 40 year old mouth breathers.

It's not hard to see who the racists are by the type of arguments they make and parrot. They are just sad, misguided, uncultured people. Easily manipulated people. As recent events have shown us, people with poor futures in this country.

Lol. Are you outraged?

.... about the horribleness of violence by police against black young men? If not,
WHY not?? 70-80% of their teams are young men of color who need a white voice standing for them.... they may be in some cases, a father figure...
Just me venting... why NOT be the strongest leader???

Because he doesnt need to be woke. He needs to be a leader of young men. His position isn't political.

Now the Big 10 said they were gonna launch some Race based BS stuff. Total pandering

Reactions: OzzyLvr

See you are worried about #6, why not spend a similar or more amount of time on dealing with #3?

I love the "will be killed by police during their lives" Shouldn't the sentence end with will be killed by police?

When you provide only portions of the data it doesn't really help the argument. To me it just raises more questions, such as, how many encounters with the police does the average black boy/man have as opposed to encounters with police that the average white, asian or hispanic boy/ man have. When you have that number, then you can look at the number of deaths per encounter.

With that number, whatever it is, and the research why are those numbers the way they are. What is the cause?

Then lets look at the number of black boys/ men killed by black cops. I think that would be an important data point. Especially when we are talking about race relations and the inference that all of these black men are killed by "Aryan nation" white cops. Maybe the number is small? Who knows? But until that information is available it is just a guess. We make that assumption because of the information provided to us by the media. Like I said, lots of stuff to look in to. Lots of data points that go unresearched at best or unreported at worst.

I didn't care one way or the other. I am not so easily offended. I'll have to go back. Aren't you the one calling people racist because they are not peacefully protesting or looting or whatever it is called now.

Young guardsmen that volunteered to protect the United States are being mocked by your peaceful protesters. Grow up, @Suhrreal .

Last edited:
Because he doesnt need to be woke. He needs to be a leader of young men. His position isn't political.
Well, glad I brought THIS topic up... some people I normally agree with don’t agree here and that’s fine.... many other interesting side notes to examine...
My thoughts for the statements( Scott’s the think is great as well) is this..... these 125 players on football, black AND white, and the 15 basketball players , black AND white, probably know close up how their coaches feel about things.... but unless you ARE black( and I’m not) I/ you may not sense the feeling of constant imminent judgement, and I think these kids appreciate the fact that their coaches will go to bat for justice for them, publicly....
I stand by my original comment and wish Gods blessings on you all

See you are worried about #6, why not spend a similar or more amount of time on dealing with #3?
Because that would require severe introspection and some blame to be laid. That isn't the angle the politicians want. Helpless victims of the state sells more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT