ADVERTISEMENT

SI: Why is College Football Attendance Tanking?

redfanusa

All-American
Feb 6, 2009
"Students wonder whether it’s worth paying when you don’t know if your friends are going to go. When it might be 125º—or 25º, depending on your school—at kickoff. When you might be watching a blowout. When college is already so expensive that you’re facing decades of debt. When the academics are harder. When there have never been more cheaper entertainment options just a click away. Fans who aren’t in school ask many of the same questions.

"Before we hung up, Hoover recited reasons students didn’t give: “I didn’t hear anything about [traumatic brain injury]. I didn’t hear anything about the violence of the sport, didn’t hear that it was boring relative to other options, didn’t hear anybody complain about long timeouts for TV. The things people think. I never heard any student say those in my class.”

"Hoover’s comments drove home how when we talk about falling attendance in college football, it’s often speculation divorced from students’ actual lives. But this isn’t a referendum on kids these days. It’s a referendum on college these days, which affects college football these days. It sounds obvious, but what did you think would happen when students facing astronomical tuition bills were asked to pay more to watch less competitive games? Declining attendance isn’t a sign of moral weakness or a lack of emotional investment, it’s a sign of shifting realities."

For your consideration:
https://www.si.com/college/2020/01/10/college-football-attendance-decline-ncaa

Reactions: Earn898
We are die hards here. But lets face it-- some places charge $75 a ticket. Try taking a family of four to a game. Maybe you do it once but that doesn't cover parking, snacks, etc. So instead of having season tickets you only go once or twice a year. Or stay home and watch it on your flat screen in hi-def. Schools had better watch how much they charge. There are a lot of options on how to spend your entertainment dollars.

That being said, look at attendance now vs. the 1950's and 60's. Stadiums are huge and some were probably overbuilt. Some schools schedule nothing but cupcakes (KSU, KU) and that turns off people as well. There isn't one easy answer. I've seen similar articles on baseball attendance but the current attendance still dwarfs what is was even 40 years ago. Its cyclical.

"Students wonder whether it’s worth paying when you don’t know if your friends are going to go. When it might be 125º—or 25º, depending on your school—at kickoff. When you might be watching a blowout. When college is already so expensive that you’re facing decades of debt. When the academics are harder. When there have never been more cheaper entertainment options just a click away. Fans who aren’t in school ask many of the same questions.

"Before we hung up, Hoover recited reasons students didn’t give: “I didn’t hear anything about [traumatic brain injury]. I didn’t hear anything about the violence of the sport, didn’t hear that it was boring relative to other options, didn’t hear anybody complain about long timeouts for TV. The things people think. I never heard any student say those in my class.”

"Hoover’s comments drove home how when we talk about falling attendance in college football, it’s often speculation divorced from students’ actual lives. But this isn’t a referendum on kids these days. It’s a referendum on college these days, which affects college football these days. It sounds obvious, but what did you think would happen when students facing astronomical tuition bills were asked to pay more to watch less competitive games? Declining attendance isn’t a sign of moral weakness or a lack of emotional investment, it’s a sign of shifting realities."

For your consideration:

Attending a game is Real Reality, it's not fake alternative virtual reality that's so popular now.

they need to work on memorial stadiums seats, get rid of the benches, seats with a back and cup holder. budget to redo a section each year.
the average height in 1920's was 5'2" todays it is 6'2" adjust accordingly

Last edited:
That article makes some great points; it's weird to think that with all of the money involved in college football now, tickets would be so expensive and not free for students anymore. That and the mountain of debt college incurs now are huge reasons why people are less likely to care now. It isn't the violence of the sport, I don't think.

On the less insidious side, yes, most games are televised now, and football lends itself well to TV.

Bama and the SEC killed college football. Between 1980-1999, we had 16 different schools that won titles. But between 2000-2019 only 11 different schools won titles and 11 SEC championship during that time vs only 4 between 1980-1999. Not one SEC school won multiple titles between 1980-1999 either.

Remember when Bama won the title in 1992? Yeah what happen to them after that? They got hit with probation. They won because Gene was cheating. Bama had 4 major probabtions in a 14 year span. And now you tell me that the program is squeaky clean, during the same time they’ve had their most success in titles and recruitng? A program that was really close to the death penalty. You know why the $EC was down during the 80-99 years? Cause the NCAA was actually doing its job and punishing people for cheating. It’s pretty dam obvious Bama has the NCAA in its pockets

Financially how can Tua’s dad moves his big as family from HI to Tuscaloosa so they can watch their kid play? Can anyone tell me if the Tua family was that wealthy before hand? Cause a move like that would be difficult on most people.

The NCAA kicked USC to nothing for letting Reggie Bush’s family squat. And they moved from San Diego to La? how come no one is looking into Tuas family? How come no one looks into the Tides players all driving nicer cars then most of us?

Can't speak for anyone else but a 75 inch LED HDTV TV and a fridge full of beer with a very accessible bathroom is my excuse. I try to go to one home game a year though.

I couldn’t agree more. Every time I go to a game, I regret it.

Can't speak for anyone else but a 75 inch LED HDTV TV and a fridge full of beer with a very accessible bathroom is my excuse. I try to go to one home game a year though.
Exactly,I remember when there were only 2-3 games a year on T.V.,the only way to watch the huskers play was to buy a ticket and even then you may have to go to an away game,hell we bought K-State season tickets just to go watch the Huskers play them.

Bama and the SEC killed college football. Between 1980-1999, we had 16 different schools that won titles. But between 2000-2019 only 11 different schools won titles and 11 SEC championship during that time vs only 4 between 1980-1999. Not one SEC school won multiple titles between 1980-1999 either.

Remember when Bama won the title in 1992? Yeah what happen to them after that? They got hit with probation. They won because Gene was cheating. Bama had 4 major probabtions in a 14 year span. And now you tell me that the program is squeaky clean, during the same time they’ve had their most success in titles and recruitng? A program that was really close to the death penalty. You know why the $EC was down during the 80-99 years? Cause the NCAA was actually doing its job and punishing people for cheating. It’s pretty dam obvious Bama has the NCAA in its pockets

Financially how can Tua’s dad moves his big as family from HI to Tuscaloosa so they can watch their kid play? Can anyone tell me if the Tua family was that wealthy before hand? Cause a move like that would be difficult on most people.

The NCAA kicked USC to nothing for letting Reggie Bush’s family squat. And they moved from San Diego to La? how come no one is looking into Tuas family? How come no one looks into the Tides players all driving nicer cars then most of us?
The ncaa became toothless when the moved the headquarters from Kansas City to Indy. Just a bunch of bloated bureaucrats getting rich doing nothing

Seating is my issue. Im not a huge guy but big enough to make it uncomfortable for me and those around me.

the Cost is also a part, the price of a ticket, parking, food and drink at the game, and either overnight lodging, or eating at a restaurant before you leave for home. Gasoline for the trip. I suppose if you went really cheap you could get buy with spending $100

Reactions: dpnavy
I'll probably get bashed for being "cheap" here but unless I'm offered a ticket to the game for free, I'm probably not going. Of if I decide I do want to go, I don't buy it any further in advance than 30 minutes prior to kickoff...This strategy will likely change when my 2 year old son gets to be in attendance appropriate age

o_O

:rolleyes:

Is it really declining that much? I haven't noticed....
As has been discussed here, 10 to 20 thousand no shows are happening almost every game. Most non-student sections look pretty full but keep in mind one average fan’s butt can easily fill at least two of the ridiculously narrow bench seats.

We are die hards here. But lets face it-- some places charge $75 a ticket. Try taking a family of four to a game. Maybe you do it once but that doesn't cover parking, snacks, etc. So instead of having season tickets you only go once or twice a year. Or stay home and watch it on your flat screen in hi-def. Schools had better watch how much they charge. There are a lot of options on how to spend your entertainment dollars.

That being said, look at attendance now vs. the 1950's and 60's. Stadiums are huge and some were probably overbuilt. Some schools schedule nothing but cupcakes (KSU, KU) and that turns off people as well. There isn't one easy answer. I've seen similar articles on baseball attendance but the current attendance still dwarfs what is was even 40 years ago. Its cyclical.
Just curious. I'm assuming everyone does like NU and charge booster$$$ in addition to the price of tickets

Seating is my issue. Im not a huge guy but big enough to make it uncomfortable for me and those around me.

This is the main reason why I will only sit in the 600 level because of the size of the seats and additional leg room. Winking

Reactions: dpnavy
Can't speak for anyone else but a 75 inch LED HDTV TV, a fridge full of beer with a very accessible bathroom is my excuse. I try to go to one home game a year though.

Yeah, that would be ideal for me. Living in Texas makes it a challenge for me. I've got to decide, "Do I watch every Husker game or do I miss some games to do other things." I've been doing a lot more other things. Still love the Huskers.

The last 7 years of NU football is like piss in a coke bottle. For some reason people expect consumers to be happy with a product that tastes a whole lot worse than the label promises.

Can't speak for anyone else but a 75 inch LED HDTV TV, a fridge full of beer with a very accessible bathroom is my excuse. I try to go to one home game a year though.

Yep. I live in KC. I have family in Lincoln so lodging is not an issue. But by the time we buy tickets, coordinate with family, pack up the kids and drive up, I’d rather watch at home. Not trying to one up, but yeah, just finished the basement last spring, installed a 86 in Samsung, fridge, toilet, grill... why go to the game??? Hell this day and age I can even pause if I need to make an extra beer or grocery run. NO need to wait until halftime. I still love to go to the stadium to get the full game day experience, but ultimate the comfort and convenience of home is tough to beat.

Yep. I live in KC. I have family in Lincoln so lodging is not an issue. But by the time we buy tickets, coordinate with family, pack up the kids and drive up, I’d rather watch at home. Not trying to one up, but yeah, just finished the basement last spring, installed a 86 in Samsung, fridge, toilet, grill... why go to the game??? Hell this day and age I can even pause if I need to make an extra beer or grocery run. NO need to wait until halftime. I still love to go to the stadium to get the full game day experience, but ultimate the comfort and convenience of home is tough to beat.

I also live in KC. I have to drive home after games and I do not enjoy getting home between 1-2 am after night games. It is so much easier to watch it at home. Usually try to take in a volleyball match so I can at least see one Husker team win in Lincoln.

The last few seasons I have even been able to listen to the games while mowing the lawn at halftime when Nebraska was out of the game...my version of multi-tasking and relieving stress. Hopefully those days are done. Winking

they need to work on memorial stadiums seats, get rid of the benches, seats with a back and cup holder. budget to redo a section each year.
the average height in 1920's was 5'2" todays it is 6'2" adjust accordingly

The average height for males in the US is actually 5'9" and 5'4" for females... we actually peaked in the mid 90's at 5'10" (for males) so it seems we are actually on the decline. In 1920 we were on average shorter but not that much.. no more than 2 to 2.5 inches. However I'd assume our waistline on average has grown much more significantly.

No doubt. I'm only 6 foot and my knees are in the backs of stadium seats. They need to scale back on seats and make the seats they have more fan friendly.
I am 6'7 and my brother closer to 6'9". The few times we have gone together, the cheer is, "Go Big -sorry about my knees- Red"! I realize we are outliers, but even 2 more inches of room (especially in end zones) would be celebratory stuff!

Reactions: HBK4life
im not as interested in college sports, in general.
im not opposed to the money that flows thru it, its what people want to spend their mobey on, im just less enthused to do that with mine.
and im distracted enough with the internet.

Personally, I just don't want to deal with all the drunk bozos on game day when I can hang out in my pajama pants and click the remote control. Why do people even want to deal with all that and the expense of it too? I guess I don't get why anyone would actually go to a game. I do realize my take on this is different than most, so I'm not a representative sample.

Reactions: bshirt73
That's a good question Nikki. As others have mentioned, it's sooooo much easier, more comfortable, and far less expensive to relax in your own home.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
For me I've been too busy in the rest of life to essentially sacrifice an entire day to go to a game. Living in Omaha, it's either leave really early to beat the traffic, or be part of the traffic. Then either be part of the slow traffic after the game or wait around until well after the game to head back. Way too much of a time investment, hassle, stress. While I'm not 6'7 or 6'9 like @ZaneHickey and his brother, even at 6'4 and about 205 lbs sitting in the stands is a pain in the ass. Throw in the commercial breaks where it really slows down the pace and deadens the attitude in the stadium, while at home you can watch at your own pace through DVR (when I do watch, I like to start the game later (about 30-45 minutes after kickoff), fast forward through the commercials, and finish the game live).

Yep, all I'm doing is bitch bitch bitch, but the product on the field hasn't been sufficient to overcome those inconveniences.

The average height for males in the US is actually 5'9" and 5'4" for females... we actually peaked in the mid 90's at 5'10" (for males) so it seems we are actually on the decline. In 1920 we were on average shorter but not that much.. no more than 2 to 2.5 inches. However I'd assume our waistline on average has grown much more significantly.
I embellished a bit for the sake of wanting better seating arrangements for NU fans, so they can focus on the game more and not the person knee in their back. or their knee in someone else's back.

less world's greatest fan's stone work...better seating for the world's greatest fan's.

Reactions: saluno22

For your consideration:
The real question I'd ask is why isn't attendance tanking even more? When the games are as widely available as they are on TV these days and ticket prices keep going up (including those mandatory donations) why would it be any wonder that people aren't attending in person as much as they used to. No mystery to me.

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
When I was a student, it was just what we did, go to the game on Saturday. Party before and/or after. Tickets were $7 ($42 or $49) for a student season ticket. If you needed money, you sold your OU ticket for $90-$120 depending on how the teams were doing.

Reactions: bigboxes
When I was a student, it was just what we did, go to the game on Saturday. Party before and/or after. Tickets were $7 ($42 or $49) for a student season ticket. If you needed money, you sold your OU ticket for $90-$120 depending on how the teams were doing.

Exactly.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT