ADVERTISEMENT

SI - Iowa

To all the Iowa fans defending their coaches to the Nth degree... be serious now. If this exact thing were happening in Lincoln instead of Iowa City, would you be over here telling us how this is all a bunch of lies and made up crap? Would you be defending Frost and Duval? Because it’s a load of crap you’re trying to sell here. No chance in hell you’d be over here defending our coaches like you are your own.

It’s embarrassing the way some of you are trying to defend the coaches here, blindly hearing account after account from former players and saying they didn’t happen...

The way they obsess over Nebraska , I can’t even imagine if this were happening here. It would be Armageddon. They had dozens of trolls over here over a 3-star recruit and obsess over every word of every Frost press conference. Even now, as the nation finds out the “Iowa way” is racism and bullying, they just want to talk about JD Spielman, or whatever Nebraska related topic.

Last edited:
The way the stories are told. A few little irrelevant smears that might be somewhat true, mixed in to confuse...and then the big lies. For instance....notice how that top receiver who got suspended never said WHO suspended him. It wasn't Ferentz. It was the left-wing administration. But he takes cheap-shots at Ferentz, and then says he got suspended because of racism.

So, in this view:

1) There are big problems with race relations boiling out
2) This has resulted in more than 20 former players from Iowa on record citing that race relations are a problem in the football program. Not one or two butthurt individuals. A couple dozen.
3) This is greatly exaggerated, or completely made up (take your pick) and being instigated by outside forces (left wing or right wing, again take your pick) and that
4) Only a Minnesota fan (yourself) posting on a Nebraska board in order to defend the Iowa coaching staff has this figured out.

Strong take.

I have another question:. Why would IOWA, specifically, be the program targeted here? It's not exactly USC or Ohio State or Alabama in it's profile, nationally. If there was some coordinated effort in order to take down a program, you think that it would be Iowa?

So, in this view:

2) This has resulted in more than 20 former players from Iowa on record citing that race relations are a problem in the football program. Not one or two butthurt individuals. A couple dozen.
3) This is greatly exaggerated, or completely made up (take your pick) and being instigated by outside forces (left wing or right wing, again take your pick) and that
4) Only a Minnesota fan (yourself) posting on a Nebraska board in order to defend the Iowa coaching staff has this figured out.

Strong take.

I have another question:. Why would IOWA, specifically, be the program targeted here? It's not exactly USC or Ohio State or Alabama in it's profile, nationally. If there was some coordinated effort in order to take down a program, you think that it would be Iowa?
One correction to all of this... USA Today says it’s over 50 players, not over 20. The rest is spot on. Amazing how well orchestrated over 50 players have gotten to take down iowa.

To all the Iowa fans defending their coaches to the Nth degree... be serious now. If this exact thing were happening in Lincoln instead of Iowa City, would you be over here telling us how this is all a bunch of lies and made up crap? Would you be defending Frost and Duval? Because it’s a load of crap you’re trying to sell here. No chance in hell you’d be over here defending our coaches like you are your own.

It’s embarrassing the way some of you are trying to defend the coaches here, blindly hearing account after account from former players and saying they didn’t happen...
This is spot on and I doubt you'll get an honest response from any Iowa fan.

He didn’t actually say “the ghetto.” He said “Glenville,” which the player interpreted as “the ghetto.” Not defending Doyle here. No reason to foster an environment where guys don’t feel safe, but this incident doesn’t have me clutching my pearls.

“Morrow told ESPN that the incident with Doyle happened during a team workout in January 2009. Morrow said he had been fighting a stomach virus and felt dizzy, so an athletic trainer told him he could ride a stationary bike.

According to Morrow, Doyle ordered him to return to the workout, saying, "You don't deserve to be on the bike."

Morrow got off the bike to speak with Doyle, who, according to Morrow, began a "verbal assault, mother-F'ing me down," and questioning Morrow's toughness.

"After a while, I start firing back. I definitely gave him an F-bomb, like, 'F you, who are you?'" Morrow said. "We're going back and forth. I never said anything racial but it was definitely a verbal altercation, we got face-to-face. That's when he said, 'F--- you, I'll send your ass back to Glenville.' He was insinuating that he'd send me back to where he would always joke about -- the hood, the ghetto. That's what he would always say."

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...d-2009-altercation-strength-coach-chris-doyle

Brandon Simon said Doyle told him to "Go back to the streets".

Terrance Harris said Doyle threatened to "Send him back to the ghetto"

Crazy that these guys, plus 50+ others are all lying about the "Iowa Way".

https://www.thegazette.com/subject/...hawkeyes-football-allegations-tweets-20200611

Last edited:

Flip that and if it was happening at Nebraska, you don't think our fanbase would side with the coaches over a few marginal players? 90% of our fanbase sided with a guy sharing videos of his underage girlfriend. I don't exactly think our fanbase has the moral high ground.

Really not meaning to pile on Iowa here, but any school in their shoes right now is in a no-win situation. Keep the staff and you'll really have trouble recruiting black athletes. Fire them and you piss off a large part of your boosters and fan base. Good luck on what to decide.

Flip that and if it was happening at Nebraska, you don't think our fanbase would side with the coaches over a few marginal players? 90% of our fanbase sided with a guy sharing videos of his underage girlfriend. I don't exactly think our fanbase has the moral high ground.
You’re gonna stick with “a few”, huh? Over 50 players have come forward, I think 11 of them were all B1G players as well, 7 drafted... what number does it have to reach before it’s more than “a few marginal players”? And how did you determine marginal? AllB1G wasn’t enough, huh? Needed to be all American? And it wasn’t enough to be drafted... they needed to be first day draft picks to break the marginal mold?

You are trying so hard to stick to your guns, which I guess is admirable, but it is also misguided.

I will answer your question even though I won’t likely get an answer from you with my questions in this post... if it were Frost and Duval under the microscope for this, I wouldn’t be defending them, but I would be preaching patience till all the facts came out. I would say, “This looks pretty bad... if these allegations are true, this won’t end well.” I wouldn’t say, “It’s a few marginal/disgruntled players.” If 50+ past players said Frost and Duval created a culture detrimental to African Americans, how could anyone say it was all a ruse, no matter how big a fan?

Keep digging that hole.

Good luck finding somebody better if they fire Kirk to. It really is a no win. It would be nice if some players came out in support of him...la
You’re gonna stick with “a few”, huh? Over 50 players have come forward, I think 11 of them were all B1G players as well, 7 drafted... what number does it have to reach before it’s more than “a few marginal players”? And how did you determine marginal? AllB1G wasn’t enough, huh? Needed to be all American? And it wasn’t enough to be drafted... they needed to be first day draft picks to break the marginal mold?

You are trying so hard to stick to your guns, which I guess is admirable, but it is also misguided.

I will answer your question even though I won’t likely get an answer from you with my questions in this post... if it were Frost and Duval under the microscope for this, I wouldn’t be defending them, but I would be preaching patience till all the facts came out. I would say, “This looks pretty bad... if these allegations are true, this won’t end well.” I wouldn’t say, “It’s a few marginal/disgruntled players.” If 50+ past players said Frost and Duval created a culture detrimental to African Americans, how could anyone say it was all a ruse, no matter how big a fan?

Keep digging that hole.

I read through that very long tweet, or article, whatever you want to call it. Oldjar is right...if those exact same things were happening here I just have a hard time believing so many people would call much of that racist. Seems like people are getting confused between getting their feeling hurt because somebody wasn't as nice as they could have been, with actual racism. That's fine, you want to lower the bar that far go ahead, but it's going to boomerang and leave a mark and have the opposite affect of what people are hoping for.

I think this is going to sting and Doyle doesn't stick with the program. That said, is it any different if he said "back to the ghetto" than if he told the white kid "back to the farm"? In the end it is motivation showing the kid the opportunity is in front of you if you want it, if not there is always home.

Good luck finding somebody better if they fire Kirk to. It really is a no win. It would be nice if some players came out in support of him...la

I read through that very long tweet, or article, whatever you want to call it. Oldjar is right...if those exact same things were happening here I just have a hard time believing so many people would call much of that racist. Seems like people are getting confused between getting their feeling hurt because somebody wasn't as nice as they could have been, with actual racism. That's fine, you want to lower the bar that far go ahead, but it's going to boomerang and leave a mark and have the opposite affect of what people are hoping for.
I don’t disagree as far as all those coming out... is it all racism? Probably not. But there’s a LOT more than a few marginalized players making some noise here. I don’t understand the minimizing that oldjar is doing here, and why he continues to beat that drum is all.

Reactions: headcard
I think this is going to sting and Doyle doesn't stick with the program. That said, is it any different if he said "back to the ghetto" than if he told the white kid "back to the farm"? In the end it is motivation showing the kid the opportunity is in front of you if you want it, if not there is always home.
I guess the question I have revolves around connotation. ‘Farm’ doesn’t have the same negative connotation that ‘ghetto’ does. But that could just be me.

On the other hand, saying ‘black people don’t like to be in boats on water’, or ‘since you didn’t run or lift this summer, we’re you gang-banging?’ or however he put it isn’t acceptable under any circumstances, in my opinion.

I gotta say, watching all of the Iowa fans come out of the woodwork and call these players liars is pretty telling of that fan base. 20 years of the “Iowa Way”, which we know now was a pretty bad culture, has rolled its way down to the fan base. Listening to Des Moines radio yesterday, these guys don’t even think this is a big deal because they can’t look at it objectively.

whether we like it or not, this will be a massive black eye on Ferentz’s career at Iowa.

The radio and media in the state walk on egg shells when it comes to Iowa football. They all live in fear of having their access taken away if they actually cover and question the program.

So, in this view:

Strong take.

It's political. It's mainstream Democrat politics. They just had a taste of their dream scenario...everyone locked at home with businesses closed. Their usual FAVORITE tactic is to label the other side as racist (or sexist, a rapist, etc.) and we just saw them burning down businesses. It's EASY to orchestrate this...NFL players kneel, NBA players all wear Black Lives Matter shirts during warmups, etc. Why Iowa? Because Dems there see their MN neighbors, and now they're doing their part...by attacking the state's #1 institution. And Clemson is being attacked because Dabo is a Christian and highest paid, a great target. Wasn't the lockdown and the burndown enough to wake anybody up??

Reactions: OzzyLvr
I can see your point, but it would be interesting who Gary Barta would hire.. Unless it’s Bob Stoops which would be a home run hire but I doubt Stoops wants to go back to recruiting kids again..
When Stoops retired, he was asked if he would consider coaching again, and insinuated he would if it were the right opportunity. He is still close to Iowa football. I agree it would be a home hire, however I don't think these allegations are going to be enough for Ferentz to be fired or resign, unless somehow they get more out about Brian that isn't good. Doyle is just a hardass, and Brian is much more hardass then his father.

Reactions: peacehawk
I agree that a lot of these "claims" lack teeth but with articles out from USA Today, ESPN, Sports Illustrated, etc. perception is often reality. The university needs a bigger response than "we'll fix it". No way Doyle survives but is that as far as they go? Or is there some blame to be placed on Ferentz since it's his program?

Edit: I also agree with what others have said in that can you imagine the amount of Iowa trolls over here calling for Frosts head if it was our strength coach?
You're correct about the trolls that would be here. ;)

This is all ridiculous overreaction. Over the course of two decades, no complaints. Then a few bad apples come out of the woodwork to complain about how they were treated, most likely because their career didn't go as well as they wanted. KF will be fine.
The vast majority of the things I have heard seem to be mostly about coaches being hard asses, like Doyle. Doyle has had some questionable comments though. Akrum Wadley had said that he wore a mask one day, to which Brian Ferentz asked him if he were going to rob a bank. Now, white people have been robbing banks and trains since the 1800's, so I don't think that is racist. Wadley's mother ranted the other night, but she is more pissed that Wadley didn't make it in the NFL and blames that on Ferentz and company. DJK has a whole article completely trashing Doyle and Kirk. He had been kicked off the team at one time for being arrested for drugs. His claim was that drugs weren't his but his roommates. His entire career at Iowa was full of drama and turmoil, and he has made claims that KF had made threats to black ball him from the NFL and had made other threats. That is completely out of context for Kirk Ferentz, so that one seems to be more of a grudge. Dillon Doyle, Chris Doyle's son just announced he is entering the transfer portal, so it makes me think that his Dad is gone. Of course, the kid could just be ashamed of dad and wants out of Dodge. He would be a solid pick up for any team, and Frost should take a look at him.

Ummmm...... good lord, yes it is different. Do you understand what racism is?

When Stoops retired, he was asked if he would consider coaching again, and insinuated he would if it were the right opportunity. He is still close to Iowa football. I agree it would be a home hire, however I don't think these allegations are going to be enough for Ferentz to be fired or resign, unless somehow they get more out about Brian that isn't good. Doyle is just ahardass, and Brian is much more hardass then his father.

He already did Coach this winter in the new semi-pro football league..
He didn’t say pro or college initially..

It's political. It's mainstream Democrat politics. They just had a taste of their dream scenario...everyone locked at home with businesses closed. Their usual FAVORITE tactic is to label the other side as racist (or sexist, a rapist, etc.) and we just saw them burning down businesses. It's EASY to orchestrate this...NFL players kneel, NBA players all wear Black Lives Matter shirts during warmups, etc. Why Iowa? Because Dems there see their MN neighbors, and now they're doing their part...by attacking the state's #1 institution. And Clemson is being attacked because Dabo is a Christian and highest paid, a great target. Wasn't the lockdown and the burndown enough to wake anybody up??

Good God man give it a rest....

Reactions: SkerInCo
I gotta say, watching all of the Iowa fans come out of the woodwork and call these players liars is pretty telling of that fan base. 20 years of the “Iowa Way”, which we know now was a pretty bad culture, has rolled its way down to the fan base. Listening to Des Moines radio yesterday, these guys don’t even think this is a big deal because they can’t look at it objectively.

whether we like it or not, this will be a massive black eye on Ferentz’s career at Iowa.
Yeah, as an Iowa fan, I think that is a very bad look and won’t age well.

Doyle will not survive this. Brian Ferentz and Seth Wallace may have a scarlet letter attached for a while. But Kirk Ferentz has an opportunity to save his legacy by ushering in progressive change.

But, KF can be ridged, ala the Rhabdo incident. Instead of condemning Doyle for that, he thumbed his nose and gave him the ‘Assistant Coach of the Year’ award, an award that had never existed before.

2020 just keeps crapping on everyone, let alone sports fans. But, Iowa is getting a unhealthy portion.

Reactions: SkerInCo
All you have to do is go to a JD thread and see the reaction towards players saying they didn't get a fair shake. They aren't even mentioning anything about racism and are attacked for not buying in, or being recruited by Riley or not working hard. All may be true, but our ( Husker fan base) is defending the coaching staff just like the Iowa fans are defending their fans. Fans will be fans.

Iowa fan. Had one encounter with Coach Doyle at one of his son’s high school games. Did not know it at the time but I sat next to his wife during the game ( no pic - an Iowa board humor) and met him after the game as he was down on the sidelines during the game. He seemed very friendly and would talk with anybody. It was only a 5-minute conversation and everything seemed ok.

All you have to do is go to a JD thread and see the reaction towards players saying they didn't get a fair shake. They aren't even mentioning anything about racism and are attacked for not buying in, or being recruited by Riley or not working hard. All may be true, but our ( Husker fan base) is defending the coaching staff just like the Iowa fans are defending their fans. Fans will be fans.
How are those remotely close to the same thing? Husker fans are Defending a coach for letting a player go who didn’t speak out against the coaches, who apparently wasn’t bought in to the Frost way.

Iowa fans are defending coaches who have been accused of systemic racism for years. How are those scenarios comparable?

Reactions: OzzyLvr
words of wisdom I heard once

" if you know nothing about something, you cant speak of what you don't know " isn't that wise , huh ?

As an Iowa fan I have some mixed emotions, I see no way Doyle should remain at Iowa, Far too much evidence he crossed the line numerous times. The comments from players at todays presser were very telling, Making special mention of how much better the environment in the weight room has been this week.
Seth Wallace’s comments to Jack Kallenberger are inexcusable, Should he be fired, Man tough call, If Jack were my kid I would sure want to kick his ass.
Brian is a hardass, I don’t know that I have seen anything I would consider racial with him, ( I am an older white dude, So I may not be a great judge) The one thing I will say in Brian’s defense is that he is very straight with kids he recruits, He tells them upfront that if they come to Iowa “I’m not your pal, I’m not your friend, I’m your coach”.
As far as Kirk, He is an old, Conservative white man, I don’t believe he is racist, But I do believe he has his image of what the program should look like and he has obviously not been very adaptive towards younger culture both black and white, Most the comments I have seen from current and former players seem positive about Kirk and they feel he can still be an effective leader going forward.
No doubt a very Ugly look for Iowa, As the old saying goes what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger and so far the comments from current players and incoming recruits give me hope that Iowa will be a stronger program going forward in regard to staff/player relationships.

As an Iowa fan I have some mixed emotions, I see no way Doyle should remain at Iowa, Far too much evidence he crossed the line numerous times. The comments from players at todays presser were very telling, Making special mention of how much better the environment in the weight room has been this week.
Seth Wallace’s comments to Jack Kallenberger are inexcusable, Should he be fired, Man tough call, If Jack were my kid I would sure want to kick his ass.
Brian is a hardass, I don’t know that I have seen anything I would consider racial with him, ( I am an older white dude, So I may not be a great judge) The one thing I will say in Brian’s defense is that he is very straight with kids he recruits, He tells them upfront that if they come to Iowa “I’m not your pal, I’m not your friend, I’m your coach”.
As far as Kirk, He is an old, Conservative white man, I don’t believe he is racist, But I do believe he has his image of what the program should look like and he has obviously not been very adaptive towards younger culture both black and white, Most the comments I have seen from current and former players seem positive about Kirk and they feel he can still be an effective leader going forward.
No doubt a very Ugly look for Iowa, As the old saying goes what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger and so far the comments from current players and incoming recruits give me hope that Iowa will be a stronger program going forward in regard to staff/player relationships.
If Doyle crossed the line so many times, and it appears that he did, then I think there is a good argument that Ferentz should be let go for keeping him so long.

If Doyle crossed the line so many times, and it appears that he did, then I think there is a good argument that Ferentz should be let go for keeping him so long.

I think that is fair in some respects, However you do have to look at what players are saying,They said Ferentz was not around the weight room and so far unless I have missed it, Which is very possible, Only one player has said he went to Ferentz with complaints about Doyle.

I think that is fair in some respects, However you do have to look at what players are saying,They said Ferentz was not around the weight room and so far unless I have missed it, Which is very possible, Only one player has said he went to Ferentz with complaints about Doyle.
Ferentz obviously knew about the work out injuries that, according to at least one player, were the result of punishment for losing a bowl game.

That press conference was a joke
tenor.gif

How are those remotely close to the same thing? Husker fans are Defending a coach for letting a player go who didn’t speak out against the coaches, who apparently wasn’t bought in to the Frost way.

Iowa fans are defending coaches who have been accused of systemic racism for years. How are those scenarios comparable?
Both fans unconditionally defend the coaches. Blind faith.

again to anyone that has played athletics and have had the coach push em hard they can relate. Hell, even my cross country coach was wicked to us and I wasn't out for cross country but our basketball coach made us do it . And I bet many of you that played a physical sport was call a wussy , but with a p . I got hit so hard in a stupid and now outlawed drill in football , I saw stars big time .but was told to get back into the drill or leave practice .Or how about the player that grew up on a dairy farm and played for the badgers.. Was told he would have to go back to milking cows if he didn't get it together . Us old folks sort of shake our heads with what is not allowed these days .Not defending anyone but its just that lines cant be crossed anymore but sticks and stones might apply , No ? Anyway, eyes were open and now ears need to be opened but I am sure that Iowa doesn't have exclusivity on this situation . Not a chance there . Its a changed world

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
Both fans unconditionally defend the coaches. Blind faith.
Apples and Oranges. Can’t see how one can compare believing a staff can win, trusting their process, etc vs standing behind racism and bullying.

ADVERTISEMENT