ADVERTISEMENT

si.com article mentions Frost

Cedric

Redshirt Freshman
Jun 20, 2001
If you have a minute, go read the si.com article about Florida hiring Dan Mullen. It has some real interesting Scott Frost material in there. It says frost was one of three finalists. Universally, the search committee found his interview unimpressive as he was "not ready for a job this big." Frost apparently told the search committee he'd call them back after his team's final regular season game. Snickered one member of the search committee, "we're still waiting for that call." An interesting story about the inner workings of a coaching search. Sorry I don't know how to copy the article here

If the article is true, no they weren’t.
This is not looking for a dude to fill the job at Bakers grocery store

Everyone coach they "interviewed" they wanted, that is why they "interview" like 2 or 3 tops. Period, that is how it works.

Well they called him and the guy said Frost was going to call them back after his staff meeting and they are still waiting for that call.
He said that after the phone interview that they were unimpressed by. It’s not like they were going to be rude and tell him not to bother calling back.

It literally says they thought he wasn’t ready for the job… unless they’re lying it means they didn’t want him. Of course they could be lying, but the fact that they admit they wanted Chip and got spurned tells me they’d likely admit the same if it were true of Frost.

This is not looking for a dude to fill the job at Bakers grocery store

Everyone coach they "interviewed" they wanted, that is why they "interview" like 2 or 3 tops. Period, that is how it works.
You think if a team interviews a HC candidate it means he has an offer? Wow. Interviews at that level do matter. If it’s true they came away thinking he wasn’t ready for that job, then no they didn’t want him.

He said that after the phone interview that they were unimpressed by. It’s not like they were going to be rude and tell him not to bother calling back.

It literally says they thought he wasn’t ready for the job… unless they’re lying it means they didn’t want him. Of course they could be lying, but the fact that they admit they wanted Chip and got spurned tells me they’d likely admit the same if it were true of Frost.
Idk, it’s easy to kick someone when their down, when was this information all available? From what I remember, frost could’ve had any opening that year, frost might have already verbally committed to nebraska and had no interest in looking around, I remember an article saying moos and frost met before ucf played temple, nebraska was at penn state that same weekend. Frost hasn’t performed well here but I do believe he is a loyal guy to his team, genuinely believe he didn’t want to leave ucf prematurely but couldn’t be seen turning his back on nebraska again. The question is, who would have been our coach if frost doesn’t come here?

Idk, it’s easy to kick someone when their down, when was this information all available? From what I remember, frost could’ve had any opening that year, frost might have already verbally committed to nebraska and had no interest in looking around, I remember an article saying moos and frost met before ucf played temple, nebraska was at penn state that same weekend. Frost hasn’t performed well here but I do believe he is a loyal guy to his team, genuinely believe he didn’t want to leave ucf prematurely but couldn’t be seen turning his back on nebraska again. The question is, who would have been our coach if frost doesn’t come here?
I agree in hindsight it’s easy for them to make fun of him. And I agree he was likely always coming to Nebraska. But based on what we’ve seen from him so far I can totally believe Florida was unimpressed in an interview. Again, probably didn’t matter. And whether it’s true or not, we’ll never know.

Reactions: Husker_AMG63
Coach, how are you going to manage special teams?

Frost: "I'll hire some random 24-year-old analyst to manage special teams."

Coach, are you going to be the offensive coordinator or will the focus be on being the head coach of the team?

Frost: "Like hell I'm not calling my own plays even if I say I will not to the media."

I doubt Moos and Davison even interviewed him.

Hey Frosty, you want the Nebraska job?

Frost: "Maybe."

Moos: "Ok, here is your contract."

More openings than just Nebraska? Yes.

Any opening that year? No.
He was linked to Florida, FSU, Tennessee. Was coach of the year, Cinderella darling and the buskers lucked out he was one of us, honestly think he would’ve done ok at FSU, could’ve played weaker competition in acc and then get slaughtered by Clemson but who didn’t the last 4 years. This is OT but I’ll admit, the B10 is a far superior conference of coaching and programs than I thought it was when we joined , frost took it for granted and maybe was t prepared to coach it, he would’ve faired the same in sec

I don't look at the media, other schools, fans, and Nebraska themselves as being dumb or anything like that when it comes to hiring Scott Frost.

What he did in the second year at UCF was never done in college football history and a lot of people thought he would be the next Nick Saban.

Turns out he is an awful head coach.

There is nothing wrong with admitting everyone was wrong about him and cut ties and move on.

Oklahoma is going to beat the living shit out of Scott Frost in a few days and that will be the official start to end of Scott Frost. depending on how bad Oklahoma whips Nebraska, we could see Frost getting fired on Sunday and letting the DC take over the rest of the season since that side of the ball actually has some positive stuff to it, unlike the offence which is a total shit show.

I don't look at the media, other schools, fans, and Nebraska themselves as being dumb or anything like that when it comes to hiring Scott Frost.

What he did in the second year at UCF was never done in college football history and a lot of people thought he would be the next Nick Saban.

There is nothing wrong with admitting everyone was wrong about him and cut ties and move on.

Oklahoma is going to beat the living shit out of Scott Frost in a few days and that will be the official start to end of Scott Frost. depending on how bad Oklahoma whips Nebraska, we could see Frost getting fired on Sunday and letting the DC take over the rest of the season since that side of the ball actually has some positive stuff to it, unlike the offence which is a total shit show.
Calm down. What are you going to say after we beat Oklahoma this week?

Or it probably means their egos were hurt after being rickrolled.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Or it probably means their egos were hurt after being rickrolled.
I’m not ruling that out. But I could totally see him bombing the interview. Also those same egos admitted in that article they were “rickrolled” by Chip Kelly, so I don’t see why they’d be ashamed to admit they wanted Frost too.

He was linked to Florida, FSU, Tennessee. Was coach of the year, Cinderella darling and the buskers lucked out he was one of us, honestly think he would’ve done ok at FSU, could’ve played weaker competition in acc and then get slaughtered by Clemson but who didn’t the last 4 years. This is OT but I’ll admit, the B10 is a far superior conference of coaching and programs than I thought it was when we joined , frost took it for granted and maybe was t prepared to coach it, he would’ve faired the same in sec
I believe December 1st Jimbo quit at FSU. December 2nd Frost accepted the Nebraska job so I doubt Frost was ever linked to FSU.

Texas A&M never considered Frost and neither did UCLA. Florida only considered Frost because UCLA took Chip Kelly away from them.

Florida AD (Stricklin) made it sound like he would've considered Mullen much sooner had Stricklin not have the connection to Mississippi St. that he did.

Yes Florida did pursue Frost, but had Chip Kelly been available then the "frost could’ve had any opening that year" would not hold true for even the Florida job.

So you basically have the Florida job and maybe Tennessee (any reports on Tennessee pursuing Frost?) along with Nebraska pursuing Frost with 1 (maybe 2 with Tennesse) having Frost as their #1 overall choice.

Last edited:
Yep...They did not interview Frost, Frost interviewed UF. Just because he has sucked hee doesn't mean UF was not begging for him, wining and dining him.
Of course Florida was interviewing him. Follow the story, they spent hours talking to Chip and loved his intellect, especially for football. He was their top choice going in and the interview confirmed it. Chip says no, happens. They talked to Frost, call it what you want, he was interviewed and didn't impress the committee but still remained in the mix.

Nothing was mentioned about Frost and Nebraska. The side plot of the story was the connection to Mississippi St and having to face his friends when he stole their coach.

Correct me if I interpreted the article wrong but out of the gate they had three candidates not including Gundy. Frost was not in the top two.

You think if a team interviews a HC candidate it means he has an offer? Wow. Interviews at that level do matter. If it’s true they came away thinking he wasn’t ready for that job, then no they didn’t want him.
Maybe but I feel like By the time they get to the official "interview" they already know if they want the guy or not, at that point it is trying to convince the coach to take the job.

Unless you totally **** it up and end up waiting 90 days and hire Billy C

Even with Mike Riley, it was not an "interview" it was trying to convince him to take one last, last, final last adventure. It was not asking him "where do you. see yourself in 5 years"

Last edited:
I think that comment was simply sarcasim.
maybe. But the comment was made that Florida called him, he said he was stepping into a staff meeting and he would call them back. He never did.

the sarcasm was when he said, “we’re still waiting for that call” with the wry grin.

maybe Florida was never going to make an offer but after Kelly turned them down, and Frost did a poor job in the interview, they initiated additional contact.

This is why you always get the details WHEN IT HAPPENS. It is a known fact that Florida wanted Frost but they told him he couldn't bring his whole staff with him. He also was waiting for the Nebraska job to open up as everyone knew Riley was going to be canned.

maybe. But the comment was made that Florida called him, he said he was stepping into a staff meeting and he would call them back. He never did.

the sarcasm was when he said, “we’re still waiting for that call” with the wry grin.

maybe Florida was never going to make an offer but after Kelly turned them down, and Frost did a poor job in the interview, they initiated additional contact.
If Frost interviewed badly (and he might have but I don't think so) it is because he knew he did not really want that job.

I have interviewed for jobs I did not really want before and the way I interviewed was really different than how I normally would interview.

These guys have such egos. Not sure what was gained by them taking a shot at Frost. At the time he was the hottest candidate in the country. If he was having a lot of success at Nebraska right now, that comment never gets made

These guys have such egos. Not sure what was gained by them taking a shot at Frost. At the time he was the hottest candidate in the country. If he was having a lot of success at Nebraska right now, that comment never gets made
I think this was a case of the guy getting in the article doing the old "Check out how smart I(we) were, we knew Frost was not good"

When in reality they got turned down by Kelly, never heard back from Frost and landed with their 3rd choice and so far it has been good for them.

Frost will not get fired after this weekend no matter how the OK game turns out.

Coach, how are you going to manage special teams?

Frost: "I'll hire some random 24-year-old analyst to manage special teams."

Coach, are you going to be the offensive coordinator or will the focus be on being the head coach of the team?

Frost: "Like hell I'm not calling my own plays even if I say I will not to the media."

I doubt Moos and Davison even interviewed him.

Hey Frosty, you want the Nebraska job?

Frost: "Maybe."

Moos: "Ok, here is your contract."
you could have just shortened you interview.
You: Coach are you going to run the option, because that is all I care about"
Frost: We'll have some option concepts, but it wont be the focus of our offense
You: Yeah, we'll call ya.

you could have just shortened you interview.
You: Coach are you going to run the option, because that is all I care about"
Frost: We'll have some option concepts, but it wont be the focus of our offense
You: Yeah, we'll call ya.
"Are. you Jeff Monken from Army? You aren't? Oh, yeah, we will call you"

Reactions: leodisflowers
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT