ADVERTISEMENT

SI - BO

bo can't win in FCS right now.

They hired a position coach from Cincinnati to clean up the mess he left behind at YSU.

He probably will. YSU is used to being competitive, and has a football guy running the university.

Pelini's timing was good. He was going to get canned with one more finish in the bottom half of the MVFC (finished in the bottom half 4 of his 5 years there).

His final conference standings at YSU:

2015: 8th
2016: 3rd
2017: 6th
2018: 7th
2019: 8th

They hired a position coach from Cincinnati to clean up the mess he left behind at YSU.

He probably will. YSU is used to being competitive, and has a football guy running the university.

Pelini's timing was good. He was going to get canned with one more finish in the bottom half of the MVFC (finished in the bottom half 4 of his 5 years there).

His final conference standings at YSU:

2015: 8th
2016: 3rd
2017: 6th
2018: 7th
2019: 8th
and yet, people will be quick to remind us all how great it would feel to beat southern miss and illinois and purdue (gasp!) while getting our teeth kicked in every time it matters.

pounding your chest about 9-10 wins and zero trophies. nothing could be more iowa.

never an acceptable standard, in my opinion. Frost needs to do better.

I just love how photogenic he is
opm5-44866.jpg

547bae50ede5b.image.jpg

opm5-44866.jpg

131271951_crop_north.jpg

452540381.0.jpg

PeliniHat.jpg

Youngstown%20State%20head%20coach%20Bo%20Pelini%20gets%20upset%20over%20a%20call%20during%20the%20Saturday%2C%20November%2014%2C%202015%20game%20against%20North%20Dakota%20State%20University%20at%20Stambaugh%20Stadium%20in%20Youngstown%2C%20Ohio.%20%0ACarrie%20Snyder%20%20The%20Forum

bo.jpg

oCdYpwJc9DCKzib7rOSFUyqUXIP7VfKeo6W0bC_x7t_U1YgkcDyVPg8NH6Dux55_DDYRz1A7ei_dhfAYEr76y68mUasqaYlNCraeBWo-X5TlmXSOUo1mmTDxGfW8SIZhwoA

ap_nebraska_penn_st_football_60086474.jpg

BoPelini-500x381.jpg

bo can't win in FCS right now.
No sh!t. If Bo is such a good coach, why cant he out recruit teams like South Dakota, South Dakota St, Northern Iowa, Illinois St, Indiana St. Hell he had 5 years. Why wasnt he making Youngstown the new North Dakota St in his conference?
If it wasnt ALL recruiting why were those teams listed above routinely beating his brilliant ass? If the talent was somewhat near equal why did Indiana f-ing State put up 43 on him in 2018, South Dakota and North Dakota St 56 on him in 2019, Illinois St 35 while shutting him out in 2017, South Dakota St 38 in 2015, and still gets beat by 3 touchdowns by North Dakota St in his best year by far in 2016.

Bo could coach and cared about his players, but with his personality and temperament he's not cut out to be be a head coach at a major university like Nebraska. He can't live in a fish bowl or answer to the fans, alumni, university administrators, etc. But I still like Bo more than I like Shawn Eichorst. Nebraska's biggest mistake wasn't firing Bo, it was hiring Smilin' Mike Riley.

Bo could coach and cared about his players, but with his personality and temperament he's not cut out to be be a head coach at a major university like Nebraska. He can't live in a fish bowl or answer to the fans, alumni, university administrators, etc. But I still like Bo more than I like Shawn Eichorst. Nebraska's biggest mistake wasn't firing Bo, it was hiring Smilin' Mike Riley.

Yep you said it. First and foremost you have to win and win championships (conference or natty). Aside from that you have to be able to represent the state, deal with boosters, media, etc. Bo couldn’t do the latter which actually hurt him in achieving the former. Once the boosters and Eichorst were against him, Bo pretty much pushed his way to get fired.

Reactions: aNUstart
I'd take him right now.

Cause our current coach is terrible right now.
If we are waiting on talent to improve we have the wrong coach.

Now this is a tad harsh, and I respect your opinion. The B10 is a lot stronger top to bottom now than when BoBo was here. Bo also inherited the talent pool from Callahan and recruited relatively well up until 2012. Now back to Frost, I do believe if he wasn’t from Nebraska his approval rating right now would be in the low 30s. But the good thing with Frost is if he ever gets it going, he’ll stay with us and not bolt for greener pastures.

Reactions: countrybob
Watch his last game against Iowa and then tell me with a straight face he wasn't trying to get fired...because if you would try and convince me of that, then I would say it was either that, or he was the worst coach ever...faking a punt when the other team knew it was coming and left their defense on the field even. Total effing moron, or trying to get fired...it's one of those two. Having said that, he was our best coach since T.O. if you ask me.

Reactions: CatColumbia
Watch his last game against Iowa and then tell me with a straight face he wasn't trying to get fired...because if you would try and convince me of that, then I would say it was either that, or he was the worst coach ever...faking a punt when the other team knew it was coming and left their defense on the field even. Total effing moron, or trying to get fired...it's one of those two. Having said that, he was our best coach since T.O. if you ask me.

Agreed. Had we made the right hire after Bo, we would be a top 10-15 team today, no doubt. Eichorst hiring Riley literally set us back 8 years (or a decade).

Nope. What was his thing about pointing "the thumb" instead of "the finger"?

He must have meant everyone besides Bo Pelini should point the thumb, not the finger.

Not a bad point in that regard. I was angling more at his fiery attitude and spirited demeanor never changing. The finger pointing at the fans was a really bad look because every single fan base has fair weather fans if a sports brand is big enough. But I think, even in the finger pointing, he stuck to his guns and showed exactly who he was. And that's what got him booted from NU.

Reactions: Mack In Motion
I'd take him right now.

Cause our current coach is terrible right now.
If we are waiting on talent to improve we have the wrong coach.

I was going to try and make the argument that the BIG10 West had gotten tougher since Bo Bo. However after digging in that isn't the case. Amazingly it has stayed almost exactly the same.
When looking at Bos 4 years the "west" ( or the division Neb was in)was 154-117 for win % of 56%. From 2015- current the west is 218-168 for a 56%. Then I thought well maybe these have been extra good two years. Nope 87-68 for a, you guessed it 56%. So the West overall strength hasn't changed much since Bo. It has been Nebraska that has just dropped off. Sorry Scott I tried to help ya out.

I was going to try and make the argument that the BIG10 West had gotten tougher since Bo Bo. However after digging in that isn't the case. Amazingly it has stayed almost exactly the same.
When looking at Bos 4 years the "west" ( or the division Neb was in)was 154-117 for win % of 56%. From 2015- current the west is 218-168 for a 56%. Then I thought well maybe these have been extra good two years. Nope 87-68 for a, you guessed it 56%. So the West overall strength hasn't changed much since Bo. It has been Nebraska that has just dropped off. Sorry Scott I tried to help ya out.
You're definitely right, Nebraska has fallen off a cliff and it doesn't have much to to with the level of competition.

I guess I’m looking at it from an angle that Michigan, Penn St, Minnesota, Purdue, Northwestern, Indiana have gotten better. We’ve lost to all those teams since ‘17.

What do you mean? I didn't pay attention to YSU or what happened when Bo coached there.
What happened here at YSU is that he was a piss poor head football coach.

Same prickly attitude, just without any winning, which kept P5 interest in him at a level of zero once the Nebraska money ran out.

He would be a great linebacker coach in the NFL.

let's be crystal clear:

bo pelini produced iowa-level results at NU, never winning anything of substance, while completely embarrassing everyone invested in Husker athletics with his behavior.

yea, I don't miss that one bit, nor has anything he's done post-NU given me any reason to believe it would've gotten even 1% better had he stayed.

Last edited:
let's be crystal clear:

bo pelini produced iowa-level results at NU, never winning anything of substance, while completely embarrassing everyone invested in Husker athletics with his behavior.

yea, I don't miss that one bit, nor has anything he's done post-NU given me any reason to believe it would've gotten even 1% better had he stayed.
Bo produced Iowa level results
Frost produces Vanderbilt level results.
Callahan produced Tulane level results.
Solich produced Osborne level results.

Fun topic. We should do this more often.

Interesting data and talking point.

One thing to consider is that up until 2016 the B1G played four OOC games versus the three they do now. It may not seem like much, but that's roughly 8% of a 12-game schedule.

Both from 2011-2014 and from 2018-2019 the division won 69% of its OOC games including bowl games.
From 2011-2014 the division won 50% of its conference games, the number is only at 51.8% for 2018-2019 even with Nebraska falling off.

You can't argue with what happened, but assuming the 69% OOC winning percentage held and the teams were given that game, it's fair to say that the division would have won an extra 8.28 combined OOC games (1 OOC game for each team x .69 win probability x 6 teams x 2 years) giving it an adjusted record of 95-60 and a winning percentage of 61.2%.

It's probably fairer to take the average of the OOC winning percentage versus the conference winning percentage (68.9%+51.8%/2 = 60.35% win probability) and the combined adjusted wins would be increased by 7.24 games for an adjusted record of 94-61 with a winning percentage of 60.6%.

Or do nothing, but I just want to point out that the B1G is now playing three OOC versus the four they used to.

Reactions: husker2612
Bo produced Iowa level results
Frost produces Vanderbilt level results.
Callahan produced Tulane level results.
Solich produced Osborne level results.

Fun topic. We should do this more often.
ha! I can see why you worship at the altar of pelini.

I certainly disagree on Solich, and I hope NU never settles for iowa level results. ever.

Reactions: Crazyhole and WHCSC
Interesting data and talking point.

One thing to consider is that up until 2016 the B1G played four OOC games versus the three they do now. It may not seem like much, but that's roughly 8% of a 12-game schedule.

Both from 2011-2014 and from 2018-2019 the division won 69% of its OOC games including bowl games.
From 2011-2014 the division won 50% of its conference games, the number is only at 51.8% for 2018-2019 even with Nebraska falling off.

You can't argue with what happened, but assuming the 69% OOC winning percentage held and the teams were given that game, it's fair to say that the division would have won an extra 8.28 combined OOC games (1 OOC game for each team x .69 win probability x 6 teams x 2 years) giving it an adjusted record of 95-60 and a winning percentage of 61.2%.

It's probably fairer to take the average of the OOC winning percentage versus the conference winning percentage (68.9%+51.8%/2 = 60.35% win probability) and the combined adjusted wins would be increased by 7.24 games for an adjusted record of 94-61 with a winning percentage of 60.6%.

Or do nothing, but I just want to point out that the B1G is now playing three OOC versus the four they used to.
Yeah that is a good point

Reactions: hedonistimpulse
Bo is not fit to be a Power 5 head coach.
Bo is not fit to be a Power 5 position coach.
Bo is not fit to be a Walmart greeter.
Bo is lucky to be employed, as are most arrogant pricks.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
You said he was a good head coach and the media pressure at Nebraska was the problem. No pressure at YSU and he wasn't good.
Except that's not at all what I said. I said he could coach. I made it clear he wasn't a good head coach. And I never mentioned the media. I said his personality and temperament was the problem. So basically, everything you took from my post is incorrect. DC is probably the ideal position for him.

he's not cut out to be be a head coach at a major university like Nebraska

Sorry, I thought by this you meant that he WAS cut out to be a HC at a lesser school, which he has proven to be not true

The people I work for in Nebraska own a company in New Orleans and I go down there about 4 times a year. I know a whole bunch of LSU fans, and for years they gave me all kinds of shit because Pelini was a national laughingstock because of his tantrums. I just hope there is some way this can blow up in their faces so I can laugh at them. Pelini literally has a personality disorder and no amount of revisionist history will change that. He shows his true colors time and again.

They pine for 9 wins. It was Bo's ceiling.
and yet, people will be quick to remind us all how great it would feel to beat southern miss and illinois and purdue (gasp!) while getting our teeth kicked in every time it matters.

pounding your chest about 9-10 wins and zero trophies. nothing could be more iowa.

never an acceptable standard, in my opinion. Frost needs to do better.

Exactly!

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
ADVERTISEMENT