ADVERTISEMENT

Shout out to Alex Henwood from the baseball team. . .

HuskerNorm

Walk On
Jan 28, 2004
I'm not going to get in the middle of a Darin Erstad/success of the baseball team argument but I did want to give Alex Henwood some love for what he did last night. If we had more Huskers with this kind of heart in all sports we would be far better off.

From the LJS:

In the eighth inning of NU's victory over the fourth-seeded Gophers that sent the Huskers into winner's bracket, second baseman Alex Henwood snagged a soft liner and dove for the bag to try and complete a double play.

A balky shoulder that sideline him earlier this season popped out of place. Henwood lay motionless on the dirt as teammates surrounded him and Erstad joined Nebraska's trainers in running from the dugout.

"I don't know if I've ever cried on a baseball field, but I almost shed a tear," said the man who owns a World Series ring. "I literally watched his shoulder pop back into socket. He said to me, 'Coach, there's nothing left in there anyway. I've got to have surgery. I'm staying in the game. I just kind of smiled and walked away.

"That's what it's all about. Those are my kind of guys."

That was cool. The camera showed Erstad as he walked off the field after that and he was smiling and shaking his head like he couldn't believe the guy wanted to stay in.

He already had my respect for mentoring Chick through his early-season slump and maintaining a positive attitude while not getting much playing time himself. Now playing through a shoulder injury the last month-plus, taking advantage of his late-season opportunity when Acker had a family obligation, having his shoulder pop out and pop it back in on the field AND staying in the game... THEN going 3/3 with 2 BB yesterday. Wow. I hope nothing but success for Alex.

Reactions: huskerfan66
ADVERTISEMENT