ADVERTISEMENT

Should we feel good about this win?

BetterRed

Head Coach
Jul 7, 2006
Somewhere in the middle of Omaha
Sounds like a dumb question, but really, look at the performance of our defense. I do think Mike Riley can do some good things with our offense. I think he's much in the same mold as Dr. Tom in that he has a creative offensive mind. So I don't worry about where our offense is going. In fact, in almost all our games, the offense hasn't really been the issue. But our defense? Man, it is still bad and cause for concern. Despite the win, MSU, and just about every team we've played, has dictated everything offensively. MSU didn't even punt in the second half until the drive before they gave us the ball the last time. That near ten-minute drive is really concerning me.

So we get a nice win, but you still have to worry about our defense. Even in a win, you still think changes need to be made on that side of the ball. Our guys just seemed confused. Our secondary seems lost and we can't get a pass rush to save our lives. And we have the guys to do it. So despite the nice win, there are concerns. I think Riley is fine. It's his defensive coaches that need some explaining.

Reactions: RedSea
Sounds like a dumb question, but really, look at the performance of our defense. I do think Mike Riley can do some good things with our offense. I think he's much in the same mold as Dr. Tom in that he has a creative offensive mind. So I don't worry about where our offense is going. In fact, in almost all our games, the offense hasn't really been the issue. But our defense? Man, it is still bad and cause for concern. Despite the win, MSU, and just about every team we've played, has dictated everything offensively. MSU didn't even punt until the drive before they gave us the ball the last time. That near ten-minute drive is really concerning me.

So we get a nice win, but you still have to worry about our defense. Even in a win, you still think changes need to be made on that side of the ball. Our guys just seemed confused. Our secondary seems lost and we can't get a pass rush to save our lives. And we have the guys to do it. So despite the nice win, there are concerns. I think Riley is fine. It's his defensive coaches that need some explaining.
Didn't see it this way,, MSU had several 3 and outs throughout the game. Thought our D really stood up. Do they have work to do, Yeah, but saw a lot of improvment and heart last night.

A win always feels good, and it should. Beating an undefeated conference foe after the season we've had so far...just wow!!!

Yes, there are still big problems here. But perhaps this can be a springboard to help us turn the corner.

Boy way to try to bring everyone down. I will say the secondary concerns are legit, but the corners looked better. The safeties are cause for concern because it seems like they are struggling to adjust to a different coverage scheme.

Saying Michigan state dictated to us on offense seems barrow sighted. I'm sure they would have preferred to be able to run the ball and we had that fairly well contained most of the night. We just need some play makers in the secondary and the defense will be much better off.

Just enjoy it and start getting ready for Rutgers.

Boy way to try to bring everyone down. I will say the secondary concerns are legit, but the corners looked better. The safeties are cause for concern because it seems like they are struggling to adjust to a different coverage scheme.

Saying Michigan state dictated to us on offense seems barrow sighted. I'm sure they would have preferred to be able to run the ball and we had that fairly well contained most of the night. We just need some play makers in the secondary and the defense will be much better off.

Just enjoy it and start getting ready for Rutgers.
Hey HBG, still waiting for you to talk to that base drummer. Those last two plays could've used a dose of:
boom boom
D fense
boom boom
D fense
That chant is a Husker staple, what have we got a rookie in percussion? Cool

MSU a team known for their defense gave up more yards than Neb

This is the new world of college football .. dominating defenses are extremely rare and more and more games are shoot-outs. Defenses are going to give up yards and points and games are going to come down putting your defenders in a position to make a crucial play and hope they execute.

Our players seem to be in position to make plays but just don't ... we had defenders right there on a couple of their touchdowns and key 3rd down conversions but just didn't make a play on the ball ... these situations are easier to get fixed than getting manhandled at the LOS and having it run down your throat all day

in addition to the above you can't make key mistakes --- INTs in the red zone, Gerry makes a great read on the screen pass on 3rd down but decides to tackle the player .. that extended a drive that led to a TD

oh and to the question about whether we should feel good about the win ... fook ya we should

Hell Yes! This was a much needed win. Gives hope to something positive. Like a bowl game for the kids. And some chemistry.

Reactions: jlb321
I don't think it's crazy to be concerned about the defense, I'm just choosing not to focus on it. Nebraska just beat an undefeated top 10 team, late in the season in the midst of a really frustrating season. I'm encouraged by the resilience of the team. They could've packed it in after the Purdue loss but didn't. They got the win and that's all that matters.

Is the defense a concern? Sure. But sometimes you just need to enjoy the win and save that concern for another day.

Even I am happy with this Husker Win.
I undersand the Michigan St. side of this game, and would honestly have to agree with a lot of them.
BUT...
If Sparty is to keep playing to the level of their competition, you will eventually lose a game.
Michigan St did not take this game serious enough. Many strange decisions by Michigan St coaching staff could be discussed. But it is, what it is now.
Riley and staff get their first meaningful Husker win (still have a long way to go).
Despite how the Huskers got it....
Even I am enjoying this Win.

Reactions: Wasker77
Sounds like a dumb question, but really, look at the performance of our defense. I do think Mike Riley can do some good things with our offense. I think he's much in the same mold as Dr. Tom in that he has a creative offensive mind. So I don't worry about where our offense is going. In fact, in almost all our games, the offense hasn't really been the issue. But our defense? Man, it is still bad and cause for concern. Despite the win, MSU, and just about every team we've played, has dictated everything offensively. MSU didn't even punt in the second half until the drive before they gave us the ball the last time. That near ten-minute drive is really concerning me.

A few things:
1) Enjoy every win. Period.
2) The bad habits of our defensive personnel didn't magically change during the coaching transition. Awful safety play, terrible angles by the linebackers, and incorrect gaps by the defensive line continue, but these aren't new problems. Last night the defense played a whale of a game against one of the best teams in college football this year, in spite of this. Balance your skepticism with the reality that there was a plethora of NFL ready talent on the other side.
3) If you think we have the "guys to do it" regarding a pass rush, I disagree. Not sure what you're seeing there, but our lack of any pass rushing talent from the DE spot is what's killing this defense, more than anything.
4) Wringing your hands about the defense and coaching staff only robs you of joy. We're down this year, but that's part of it. Let go of your angst and enjoy the ride back to the top.

Today everything is right in Huskerland - Great win - hopefully this can lead to many more - no need to bisect the pros and cons of what was done after a big win - lets just enjoy it

Reactions: timnsun
Today everything is right in Huskerland - Great win - hopefully this can lead to many more - no need to bisect the pros and cons of what was done after a big win - lets just enjoy it

+1
This was a Riley taking the keys moment.

sure---------work to be done, but, holy crap-------i woke up with a big smile this morning!!!!
enjoy the win! GBR!

The game winning touchdown was as bad as Miamis return against duke lol but as an Iowa fan I'm not sad to see MSU lose. If that is the atmosphere for black friday it will be a nail biter

Not sure how we "have the guys to do it" regarding pass rush. Did you even see the play of Gangwish and Dzuris last night? If we get the talent to pressure the QB from the edge, this defense improves by leaps and bounds immediately.

Great win!

Reactions: 94husker
I think NU didn't had much to loose so they just laid their ears back and went for it. where msu seemed to be playing not to lose at the end.
Which would be wise against most teams, but not a team like NU with talent and huge experience in frantic roller coaster rides at the end of games.

and I've seen a lot of msu fans say they were expecting to lose one because of the defensive problems. (I think they should have kept their dc last year and payed him millions to stay)

plus I think rileys way of doing things are starting to take root.

when we first hired riley, a osu fan said he loses games he's not supposed to and wins one's he's not supposed to,,,,,sometimes...

I think the #1 factor of riley staying at NU is who's at qb and the depth at qb. because his system hinges on that one position more than another. if them passes are not completed and it's 3 and out,
all game. he can have suh, farley and prince on d, and they would get worn out.

Last edited:

My goodness man, just enjoy this. Let go for a few days and bask in the glory of a win over a top team.

I am enjoying it but there wasnt as much joy at the winning td at the time it happened because of the out of bounds stuff. I really didnt think it was going to count

Reactions: 94husker
I thought that was the best our defense had performed all year. We gave up a ton of yardage and points because Connor Cook is a future NFL pro bowler and he had NFL quality receivers. Go back and watch the film Cook was throwing the into very small windows sometimes between 3 of our defenders. On their last TD drive he threw a seam right over the top to a blanketed receiver where only his man could get it. The guy is a lock to be a 1st round pick next April and our defense held him off enough to get the win, that is cause for celebration

As bad? Was it as bad as the missed PI a few plays before? What a dumb post.
yeah anyone who looks at that play objectively knows that was a terrible terrible call? the consequences were also much greater... far different from bad pass interference calls which happen in every game. Think before you post bud. A bad PI call does not justify that BS

yeah anyone who looks at that play objectively knows that was a terrible terrible call? the consequences were also much greater... far different from bad pass interference calls which happen in every game. Think before you post bud. A bad PI call does not justify that BS
So the bad PI call in the end zone that would have accomplished the same thing as the out of bounds call... Can you help me see the difference eyeo-huh?

It was a good call, go home.

Watched the game with several officials. They all said before the review it was a TD that would stand. I guess you know more than guys that do this for a living?

Reactions: headcard
Do you know why we should feel good about this win? Because...

-We beat a Top 10, undefeated team that beat us soundly the last 2 years
-Our players gained a ton of confidence yesterday
-We found our OLine and RB combination that could take us to a 7-6 season
-Our defensive backfield showed real progress, IMO. There were many throws yesterday where our coverage was solid, but the pass was perfect, and was completed

Watched the game with several officials. They all said before the review it was a TD that would stand. I guess you know more than guys that do this for a living?
they said the call would stand because the refs messed up the call on the field originally? lmao

since when does a penalty equal a TD? im lost with your logic...
So the bad PI call in the end zone that would have accomplished the same thing as the out of bounds call... Can you help me see the difference eyeo-huh?

Your team beats a Top Ten team (always a SIGNIFICANT accomplishment) in a really exciting and entertaining game and then you come on this message board and ask such a stupid question???

Get real! ENJOY this historical WIN for pete's sake!!!

Yeah, anyone that's a fking moron that doesn't know the rules of football would think exactly as you do. Wear it proudly, moron.

Yeah, anyone that's a fking moron that doesn't know the rules of football would think exactly as you do. Wear it proudly, moron.
dude its not a coincidence that you guys are the only fan base in America who thinks the refs made the right call. If it was the other way around you guys who throw a fit. A wins a win but you should be able to look at this from everyone else's perspective. I even said earlier on this thread that I am glad you guys won. But the call was BS. I would be an angry poster too if my team was 4-6

Perhaps asking if we should feel good about the win was a poor phrase. Of course the win feels good. But I probably should have asked if anyone still feels good about the showing and progress of the defense. Even with the win, I still think the defense is laboring. Our defensive backfield still looks confused and there is still essentially no pass rush. I just think this far into the season we should be showing better improvement, and I just don't see it. The ten minute drive and the fact that MSU only had one punt in the second half, which they pretty much laid down and gave us, is still a concern, I think.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT