ADVERTISEMENT

Should there be football in 2020?

Should there be Nebraska football in 2020?

• Yes (>1 game)

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • No (zero games)

Votes: 22 19.3%

• Total voters
The impact of no football would be more devastating than a lot of people probably imagine. There may be a handful of P5 schools that are in major trouble. Like close half of their athletic department down type of trouble. Also, think of all of these small college towns?

Lincoln is one of the bigger Big Ten towns and not having football will crush the city. Now think of the smaller towns. West Lafayette, University Park, Bloomington, Champaign. These towns will be decimated.

And for the 'if we can only save one life' type of thought process, in public policy we never think like that. If we did, all speed limits would be 35 MPH.

Well said.... i hate it when people say that

I just can’t endorse dead bodies littering the roadside so I can go watch a freaking FB game nobody will remember or care about in 2 weeks. We are talking about lives vs entertainment.

Everyone's going to get exposed to the virus. Eventually, it's just going to be forced on everyone anyway.

You will be infected.

Good Luck.

Reactions: huntered
No electricity? Thats a bit much. I realize our country is much bigger land wise and population wise. There are certainly areas that do need to be sent back to their caves. Nebraska is not one of those places. I live in LA and drove back to Neb on May 28. I teach so I have the time to do this. The virus really isnt a problem here at all so I can see why so many want things back to normal. I really do not want to drive back in a few weeks to what is essentially Coronaville. Ive seen both sides of the argument this summer. Ive basically lived both scenarios. While I see why some want things open I also see why thats not a good idea.
My point was if you make everyone stay home I mean all workers hospitals, police,fire, I believe sooner than later people will just say screw it. But going about it the way it was done really didn’t accomplish much, kinda like fighting the Korean War you fought not to win.

No electricity? Thats a bit much. I realize our country is much bigger land wise and population wise. There are certainly areas that do need to be sent back to their caves. Nebraska is not one of those places. I live in LA and drove back to Neb on May 28. I teach so I have the time to do this. The virus really isnt a problem here at all so I can see why so many want things back to normal. I really do not want to drive back in a few weeks to what is essentially Coronaville. Ive seen both sides of the argument this summer. Ive basically lived both scenarios. While I see why some want things open I also see why thats not a good idea.
I do agree with you on the difference of population, I have relatives that live in some of the bigger city’s and they were genuinely scared. I mentioned to them take a drive in the country if possible, just to get out of the of the city. And of course we always have a certain amount of stupid people that do what they please and a certain amount of people that live in filth and no way you’d get them to properly wash up. There’s a reason I live out in the country besides the obvious, I hate stoplights Winking

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
No you don’t need to learn how to live with this virus. Keep quarantined and safe. but this isn’t an all or nothing type of deal. And keep in mind, you can do everything right and still get the virus.

I’m 99.9% sure I got this back in February. Everyone in my office had a bad illness and my son got it too. we all herd the exact same thing from various doctors back then. That we were infected but they didn’t know what it was. All the symptoms I had then match Covid.

now fast forward to now, appeartly someone in my office got it again. We are all quarantined now. We did everything right. Social distancing. Wore a mask. Kept my door shut. I might see someone for 2 minutes in the full 9 hours I was at work. And outside of work I just stay home.

I’m starting to feel the same as I did back in February. Stomach, head, throat, and minor weakness. I still feel ok to run and workout. Honestly when I excrise is when I’ve felt the best with it. But it’s really not that bad for me. I’m healthy. These kids that play sports are healthy and young. I don’t see a reason you can’t play football in this condition especially when kids play with the flu. Ever hear of “bring your flu game”. Hell I always played sports better sick

I had a similar experience in February with myself and my son, so we had our son tested. Came back negative, there was a surge of adenovirus this winter that had similar symptoms that you are saying which is what they “think” we had.

I personally think the whole virus is false, we just need to move on.. play on. I’ll be watching on TV either way...

I’m 100% sure the season will never get completed. As a society we need to get our priorities straight, if I were a season ticket holder I’d already be planning on what else I’m going to be doing on Saturdays because being at game ain’t gonna happen.

Thank god, I'd hate to run into someone as insufferable as you on a Saturday. The virus might never leave... will you stay home forever? Please?

I honestly don't get how everyone seems to have had it back in Jan and Feb. If everyone in your office had "it" and all had symptoms that is nothing like what COVID is showing where most people don't have symptoms.

Add to that fact, even now with testing at a high rate and on people that have reason to be tested, the positive rate is in the teens percentage.

So either "it" was impacting people at a much higher rate before or something else was going on.

Very true. But I trust my body. I don’t lie to my body. What I had in February was not like anything I had before. And I usually bounce back for illness really quickly, but couldn’t shake that for a while. Could have been an awful cold but could have been COVID19. Will probably never know

And in March and April people were very much showing symptoms. If they weren’t showing symptoms then those wouldn’t be symptoms now would they? There is an increase in asymptomatic cases but it’s not the norm.

Also keep in mind the COVID19 in late winter early spring is a different strain then what we have now. So we could see different symptoms as the virus mutates

It doesn't matter what anyone on here thinks. But yesterday, most of the people in Walmart couldn't be bothered to put on a mask while buying their Doritos and Mt. Dew. If there isn't a season then we have no one to blame but ourselves.
People reap what they sow. By not staying home or wearing masks, people have literally sowed coronavirus everywhere. In doing so, they’ve further jeopardized non-essential activities like sports.

Thank god, I'd hate to run into someone as insufferable as you on a Saturday. The virus might never leave... will you stay home forever? Please?
everyone knows you love to greatly exaggerate. no one is staying home all the time. everyone is going places and do some things. they just aren't doing a few things like hang out in crowded indoor places.

I feel like I'm in bizarro world with the hysteria of covid 19. Some folks talk about the importance of masks and staying home and ruining our economy. But they are cool supporting assholes burning down buildings. WTF?

There will be a season because money reaches beyond politics.

I personally think the whole virus is false
OIP.kpXGgF_eNNow0bzF28oJywHaLH

People reap what they sow. By not staying home or wearing masks, people have literally sowed coronavirus everywhere. In doing so, they’ve further jeopardized non-essential activities like sports.
No. There was no stopping it anyway. Just by virtue of having to keep services running in particular in urban areas, this thing was going to keep marching on. As a nation we couldn't have people stay home for the months. This was NEVER about preventing people from getting the virus. This WAS about slowing the spread so that our healthcare system could keep up with demand for care. The CFR and death toll continues to fall from this thing. As your hero Andrew Cuomo stated, "We've tamed the beast. It's time to open back up". We've known all along and even Fauci predicted that there would be hot spots pop up around the country as we fought our way through this. Nobody should be surprised.

There has never been a vaccine for a Corona virus
You mean like the several for swine. one for cattle, one for dogs, one for cats.....let's see am I leaving one out? Anyone know if they make one for sheep?

Very true. But I trust my body. I don’t lie to my body. What I had in February was not like anything I had before. And I usually bounce back for illness really quickly, but couldn’t shake that for a while. Could have been an awful cold but could have been COVID19. Will probably never know

And in March and April people were very much showing symptoms. If they weren’t showing symptoms then those wouldn’t be symptoms now would they? There is an increase in asymptomatic cases but it’s not the norm.

Also keep in mind the COVID19 in late winter early spring is a different strain then what we have now. So we could see different symptoms as the virus mutates

I hear ya. I am not saying you didn't have it and hope I didn't come as an arse.

My main thought is there are a ton of people that felt they had it earlier than what is being reported in the US. I am sure some had it, but just based on numbers most didn't have it and had something else.

It really just shows how little we knew about it then and really not much more now.

Reactions: spinner4
No. There was no stopping it anyway. Just by virtue of having to keep services running in particular in urban areas, this thing was going to keep marching on. As a nation we couldn't have people stay home for the months. This was NEVER about preventing people from getting the virus. This WAS about slowing the spread so that our healthcare system could keep up with demand for care. The CFR and death toll continues to fall from this thing. As your hero Andrew Cuomo stated, "We've tamed the beast. It's time to open back up". We've known all along and even Fauci predicted that there would be hot spots pop up around the country as we fought our way through this. Nobody should be surprised.
Sure, not disputing any of that. But the comment was in reference to people’s attitudes, especially as it pertains to not wearing masks. This public health crisis has been politicized to the point that not wearing a mask is a conscious “don’t tread on me” statement. That is the attitude which ironically will preclude the US from reopening while the rest of the world does. Hence, people reap what they sow.

There’s certainly a case to be made that the tightly controlled football environment (testing, protocols, a motive to comply w/ protocols) may prevent more spread than taking the season away from 150 college age kids, removing them from the confines of that structure and leaving them to do whatever during that time.

I would say it’s more responsible to let them play under tight supervision vs no football = no requirement to follow recommended and oft-disputed guidelines.

Handling stadiums and fans is a different element altogether. But strictly talking teams: playing ball could be better than not playing.

Sure, not disputing any of that. But the comment was in reference to people’s attitudes, especially as it pertains to not wearing masks. This public health crisis has been politicized to the point that not wearing a mask is a conscious “don’t tread on me” statement. That is the attitude which ironically will preclude the US from reopening while the rest of the world does. Hence, people reap what they sow.

A big reason people are rebelling against masks is because the government told them they had to close their businesses and lose their jobs.....while the same politicians also encouraged thousands of people to gather together in the streets to "protest".

Either require masks and open everything up, or ban all large gatherings including protests. Politicians should not be picking and choosing who has the right to assemble based on political reasons.

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
I just can’t endorse dead bodies littering the roadside so I can go watch a freaking FB game nobody will remember or care about in 2 weeks. We are talking about lives vs entertainment.
Go hide in your basement if your scared...society needs to move on

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT