ADVERTISEMENT

Should the tunnel walk be ended?

redwine65

Offensive Coordinator
Jun 23, 2010
after watching it a couple times this year, Im not sure if the players know they are going to a football game or disco ??? the players from troy didn't think the game was a disco, they though it was a football game. I'm sure whoever is making this dance fever tunnel walk thing means well, but it gotten way out of controll. I think the team needs to focus more on the gridiron about their responsibilities, and a lil less about the hype.

after watching it a couple times this year, Im not sure if the players know they are going to a football game or disco ??? the players from troy didn't think the game was a disco, they though it was a football game. I'm sure whoever is making this dance fever tunnel walk thing means well, but it gotten way out of controll. I think the team needs to focus more on the gridiron about their responsibilities, and a lil less about the hype.
Wow. Just wow.

I don't think the tunnel walk should be ended. That is not the solution to our problems, obviously. But I think the OP raises a valid point. Are our guys too hyped up on all of the home game atmosphere emotion? I think the players are pressing too much in these first few games. They too bought into the Frost frenzy and hyped up and unrealistic expectations. And they are therefore playing without proper focus and discipline. Trying too hard to make a homerun play on every down or making that "wow" hit on defense.

As I said in another thread, I think an away game against a big name opponent is just what this team needs right now. Get out of the hot house frenzy that is Lincoln.

Troy nearly defeated LSU in the swamp last year...fairly certain the tunnel walk had nothing to do with the outcome .

I still say, despite being wrong about ending the tunnel walk, that the OP has a point.

If the start to this season proves anything it is that this once proud football program is now a completely different animal than the one we grew up with. College football has changed radically and we did not keep up and we have regressed. And yet, all of the trappings of success that we once had are everywhere, convincing all of us that this is still the same ol' Husker football program when it isn't.

I am now completely with Tuco. Let's cut out all of the nonsense about the sellout streak. Let's stop worrying about the tunnel walk music or the blackshirts or the stupid balloons. There is only one tradition from our past worth hanging onto: winning. And if we start winning again, maybe we can start some new traditions - - traditions tied to the present and not some golden age from 20-30 years ago.

I think one of the things that plagues Nebraska is the same thing that plagues Texas. It is that arrogant mentality that thinks it is our birthright to win games because of that "N" on the side of our helmet or those "horns". We are "Texas" damn it! We are the Nebraska Cornhuskers damn it!

Time for us to acknowledge that we are basically starting from scratch again. We need Frost to be the next Devaney. We desperately need to stop living in the past.

I still say, despite being wrong about ending the tunnel walk, that the OP has a point.

If the start to this season proves anything it is that this once proud football program is now a completely different animal than the one we grew up with. College football has changed radically and we did not keep up and we have regressed. And yet, all of the trappings of success that we once had are everywhere, convincing all of us that this is still the same ol' Husker football program when it isn't.

I am now completely with Tuco. Let's cut out all of the nonsense about the sellout streak. Let's stop worrying about the tunnel walk music or the blackshirts or the stupid balloons. There is only one tradition from our past worth hanging onto: winning. And if we start winning again, maybe we can start some new traditions - - traditions tied to the present and not some golden age from 20-30 years ago.

I think one of the things that plagues Nebraska is the same thing that plagues Texas. It is that arrogant mentality that thinks it is our birthright to win games because of that "N" on the side of our helmet or those "horns". We are "Texas" damn it! We are the Nebraska Cornhuskers damn it!

Time for us to acknowledge that we are basically starting from scratch again. We need Frost to be the next Devaney. We desperately need to stop living in the past.

I am replying to both you posts at the same time.

No offense, but he pregame excitement and hype is short lived. The first time you get hit, that all wears off. Every college team has some sort of pregame ritual or they run from the tunnel to music, or down a freaking hill. All of them have music.

I don't believe the OP has a point at all. The only thing I took away from his post is that he doesn't like change.

Reactions: redwine65

annnnd none of that will help win football games. Now, back to you in the booth, Pennsyhusker!

I am replying to both you posts at the same time.

No offense, but he pregame excitement and hype is short lived. The first time you get hit, that all wears off. Every college team has some sort of pregame ritual or they run from the tunnel to music, or down a freaking hill. All of them have music.

I don't believe the OP has a point at all. The only thing I took away from his post is that he doesn't like change.
I don't disagree with much of this. You need all of those things as part of your home game atmosphere. But I guess I did not connect the dots with regard to my larger point: we are living in the past and it is hurting us. We need a whole new mentality that says "we are going to make our own winning tradition and we are going to create our own new traditions out of that winning".
But I do disagree somewhat with the idea that all of the pressure of a home game in Lincoln disappears after the first hit. I think all of the Frost hysteria has created a pressure cooker atmosphere in Lincoln right now that is creating stress from unrealistic expectations.

Might as well get rid of the Runzas and Valentinos while we are at it.

For the record (and then I will stop jabbering about this):
I am not in favor of doing away with any of our traditions. As I said at the beginning, I think we should keep the tunnel walk. And I like the frigging balloon thingy too. But insofar as all of those things contribute to our illusionary belief that we are still some special kind of program, I think they are a distraction. All of those things are nice, but we need to wake up to the idea that we really are starting from scratch.

I agree, generally, about the over-hyping factor. More business, less flash, would be nice. Something similar to Tyson and his white towel for a robe.:Cool: Right now, it feels like eerily like Rocky IV, Apollo Creed and James Brown. We all know how that ended.:(

If we don’t have the awesome tunnel walk to get excited about what do we have left? It’s like the five minutes before kickoff are the most exciting part of the game. We aren’t winning a lot on the field this season so we have to win the entrance

I agree, generally, about the over-hyping factor. More business, less flash, would be nice. Something similar to Tyson and his white towel for a robe.:Cool: Right now, it feels like eerily like Rocky IV, Apollo Creed and James Brown. We all know how that ended.:(

I got the first part from rocky, the second part was from red october, where he says things can get out of control :Cool:
I guess I was trolling and complaining with the post a bit, but all the spinning lights and such and then to lose, just doesn't seem right (louie Anderson impression)

Recruits like the tunnel but I do think the balloon tradition should go away as an outside observer. I'm no tree hugger but that's just wasteful and bad for the environment

Recruits like the tunnel but I do think the balloon tradition should go away as an outside observer. I'm no tree hugger but that's just wasteful and bad for the environment
but the ballon signify something was done right...so thats a-ok..

maybe they could keep the original tunnel walk, allen parsons with no disco lights..
then if they win have the disco lights on the way off the field.
and if they lose then just no allen parsons no disco lights on the way off the field...

but the ballon signify something was done right...so thats a-ok..

maybe they could keep the original tunnel walk, allen parsons with no disco lights..
then if they win have the disco lights on the way off the field.
and if they lose then just no allen parsons no disco lights on the way off the field...
UCF just did something similar with the tunnel(probably on more of a budget). I'm wondering if Frost had that project green-lighted for this past offseason while he was still here

The OP has a point. Jack Stark would say he has a point too. Look at the players during the Tunnel walk in the 90s. They weren't dancing or jumping around. They were holding hands and walking to the field.

It pains me to say it, but I think it's time for the balloons to go also. Environment, and also there have been too many games where the first score has been late enough in the game, when it just gets depressing.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
Didn’t Valentino’s change all of their restaurants about 20 years ago?

Probably just a coincidence....
And now Casey's has better pizza than Val's. They used to be the Cadillac of pizzas. I just don't feel that way anymore.

Jeez. Stop trying to fix things for our own beleaguered program. Show support for whatever they are doing, and let SF&Co right the ship. It's a big ship that's been headed off course for a long time.
The bigger the boat, the wider the turn and the longer it takes. I am with you.

Redwine65: we should end the tunnel walk. It’s glitzy and flashy and not what it used to be (I don’t like it).

Backlash...

Redwine65: ok, lets not end it. Let’s just bring it back to what it was (Which was my plan all along).

Nice work on trying to bring back the original tunnel walk! :)

If we don’t have the awesome tunnel walk to get excited about what do we have left? It’s like the five minutes before kickoff are the most exciting part of the game. We aren’t winning a lot on the field this season so we have to win the entrance
Does UCF have a tunnel walk too?

Reactions: timnsun
ADVERTISEMENT