ADVERTISEMENT

Should the CFP really be expanded to 6 or 8 teams?

Many suggest the CFP should be expanded to 6 or 8, why?

Over the first five years, only 3 programs have won the title. Only one program has appeared each season.
  • Clemson
  • Alabama
  • Ohio State

Only nine teams have participated in the College Football Playoff over the first five years.

Why should it be expanded?

Parity at the top of College Football seems scarce?

Still, only one program is a clear #1. A second seems to have a good hold of #2.

Five questions for 2019?
  1. Will we see a 10th team join the list of participants this season?
  2. Will a fourth team join the other three as a champion anytime soon?
  3. Does the Big 12 have a second worthy participant?
  4. Does the ACC get any credit for Notre Dame's appearance?
  5. Will we see the Pac 12 South, the Big Ten West, the ACC Coastal or a non P5 program sneak up into the CFP any time soon?
Happy June 9th everyone and good morning to each of you!

Reactions: TravisWalker
Of course IMO the playoff should be 8 teams - the 5 P5 conference champions as automatics PLUS the next best 3 teams determined by a representative committee of experts. I've said that from the first day the latest playoff arrangement was even discussed and never wavered from that view.

And Moos and Frost apparently agree with that.

Of course IMO the playoff should be 8 teams - the 5 P5 conference champions as automatics PLUS the next best 3 teams determined by a representative committee of experts. I've said that from the first day the latest playoff arrangement was even discussed and never wavered from that view.

And Moos and Frost apparently agree with that.

That would be the best scenario allowing the Power 5 Conference Championship Game mean something and 3 at-Large teams rewarding someone like UCF having a unbeaten regular season..

Some on here have advocated that they prefer the 8 best teams regardless of conference affiliation, which I’m not in favor of..

Why not just go with 5 P5 winners and #6.

#7 and #8 gives it a NFL flavor.

Hope You don’t mean with no CCG?

conference’s have too many teams now,they need a CCG and you would want a unbeaten UCF or who ever not left out because a two loss team from a power 5 is ranked ahead of them at 7 or 8..

Just go with 8.

People bitched when the basketball went from 32 to 64 and now 68...and all that happened was that people watched more games, bet more games and enjoyed more games.

Reactions: Top_Gun_
Hope You don’t mean with no CCG?

conference’s have too many teams now,they need a CCG and you would want a unbeaten UCF or who ever not left out because a two loss team from a power 5 is ranked ahead of them at 7 or 8..

The conference championship game is the first round of the ultimate Final 4 or 6.

5 automatic P5 champs and best of non-P5.

Again, prefer current system to 3 at-large, with 8. fwiw

The conference championship game is the first round of the ultimate Final 4 or 6.

5 automatic P5 champs and best of non-P5.

Again, prefer current system to 3 at-large, with 8. fwiw

Only flaw is one Power 5 Champion gets left out of the playoffs like the B1G last year...

I prefer the other with 3 at-large berths. Then nobody gets left out or could have a legitimate bitch..

Reactions: saluno22
On the surface I would say 8 makes the most sense. An expanded playoffs will have some additional challenges that may or may not be simple to solve and would more than likely bring recruiting changes with it.

Bowl committees might be most opposed to expansion as it would put less"season finality" importance to their games. Bowl games are not filling the stands like they used to. Coincidence or a product of the playoff system? Debate material. People tend to travel during the holidays and most likely would go to the"important" game.

As the playoffs progress, into the month of January I would assume, will there be an expanded dead period? Will teams involved in the playoffs claim an unfair disadvantage to recruiting since they are practicing, game planning, traveling etc and lobby for a dead period?

Again, 8 team playoffs would seem to be the most logical but there definitely will be details and logistics and technical aspects to iron out. But the skunk is out of the bag and needs to be dealt with. I don't think what we have currently is any where close to the ideal product.

Probably not unless Texas makes it.

Will a fourth team join the other three as a champion anytime soon?

Yes. But maybe not in 2019

Does the Big 12 have a second worthy participant?

Yes. See #1. I still remember what the Horns did to UGA Last bowl game and they have a very good QB finally. Moving in the right direction

Does the ACC get any credit for Notre Dame's appearance?

No. They aren’t in the ACC for football

Will we see the Pac 12 South, the Big Ten West, the ACC Coastal or a non P5 program sneak up into the CFP any time soon?

Yes. Between USC, Miami, & Nebraska there are 23 National championship.Nebraska is likely the first one to show up. Don’t think it will be 2019 but definitely like our chances in 2020 with a JR AM

Remember most of the 80’s & all of the 90’s people thought USC was dead

Then from 95 to 99 people thought Miami was over

Both came back. Now both are down again. Won’t surprise me to see them bounce back soon

The College Football Playoff took care of any problem now.

No....the Big 10 and PAC 12 pulled their heads out realizing they weren’t playing for a National title allowing for the playoffs to work.They both agreed that their conference champion if in the top 4 would play in the playoffs regardless what bowl game it was played at not named the Rose Bowl..;)

Reactions: huskerfan66
Should be 8, but I'm not sure if I want to make it easier for Mediocre Dame to get into the playoffs.
PDKzCpu.png

Reactions: huskerfan66

Over the first five years, only 3 programs have won the title. Only one program has appeared each season.
  • Clemson
  • Alabama
  • Ohio State

Only nine teams have participated in the College Football Playoff over the first five years.

Still, only one program is a clear #1. A second seems to have a good hold of #2.

Five questions for 2019?
  5. Will we see the Pac 12 South, the Big Ten West, the ACC Coastal or a non P5 program sneak up into the CFP any time soon?

I'd keep it at 4 until more teams prove they can compete. We could have had a 2 team playoff this year they were so far ahead of everyone else.

I never wanted a playoff. I still don't care for it. But, since it's happened, it needs to be expanded to 8. What is the point of having a Power 5 otherwise? Either get rid of the Power 5 distinction or increase the playoff field.

Oh, and if it ever does go to 8, Notre Dame needs to be blackballed until they join a conference. They should be blackballed now, but...........

Last edited:
Reactions: huskerj12
I've said 8 since the beginning. If your team didn't make the top 8, you have NO business whining.
And 8 is not so much that it overextends the season, injury risk, etc.

I think most people assume that if the playoffs were expanded that the championship would have more parity, but I actually think the opposite would be true. Teams like Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State have such a massive recruiting advantage that adding additional layers to the playoffs would make the path to a championship even more difficult for teams like Nebraska. Think of it like this, would you rather play Alabama in a best-of-three for the title or a best-of-five?

Just go with 8.

People bitched when the basketball went from 32 to 64 and now 68...and all that happened was that people watched more games, bet more games and enjoyed more games.

Same thing with CFB bowl games.

Never understood the folks who complained about adding more.

Go Blue!

Same thing with CFB bowl games.

Never understood the folks who complained about adding more.

Go Blue!

Comparing the NCAA Basketball tournament and more College bowl games isn’t even in the same stratosphere.

Last edited:
I don’t like the idea of one of the power 5 Conference champions being left out of the playoffs..

And there maybe 2 teams in the same division that both are as good as teams in the playoffs that gives you 2 at large berths and a UCF or Notre Dame would make the 8 team playoffs..

I don’t like the idea of one of the power 5 Conference champions being left out of the playoffs..

And there maybe 2 teams in the same division that both are as good as teams in the playoffs that gives you 2 at large berths and a UCF or Notre Dame would make the 8 team playoffs..

I can see the argument both for and against expansion. On the one hand, there's really only been 1 team left out that had a really good case to be made for inclusion. The honest truth is that most years there are only 2 teams that stand head and shoulders above everyone else anyway so the other 2 teams aren't that important. On the flip side, I look back on years like 1993 where there were 3 teams that were all pretty equal and Notre Dame got left out so maybe it would be best to have a situation where all of the conferences are represented, as the crossover games can't tell the whole story of the season. If I had to pick a side it would probably be for expansion but I would also be afraid that the SEC would always get the benefit of the doubt for at-large berths.

I can see the argument both for and against expansion. On the one hand, there's really only been 1 team left out that had a really good case to be made for inclusion. The honest truth is that most years there are only 2 teams that stand head and shoulders above everyone else anyway so the other 2 teams aren't that important. On the flip side, I look back on years like 1993 where there were 3 teams that were all pretty equal and Notre Dame got left out so maybe it would be best to have a situation where all of the conferences are represented, as the crossover games can't tell the whole story of the season. If I had to pick a side it would probably be for expansion but I would also be afraid that the SEC would always get the benefit of the doubt for at-large berths.

SEC more likely would get a at- large..But one of the other conference championships that upset the higher ranked team in their CCG would have a opportunity to also get a at-large berth if things panned out right..

Notre Dame lost to B.C at home the week after beating FSU...

SEC more likely would get a at- large..But one of the other conference championships that upset the higher ranked team in their CCG would have a opportunity to also get a at-large berth if things panned out right..

Notre Dame lost to B.C at home the week after beating FSU...

I remember, but they still beat what many people were calling the greatest team in history and both ended up with only 1 loss. I felt like an argument could be made for and against all 3 teams, as we had some pretty ugly wins that year.

If you are going to just take the champions of the P5 CCG, you might as well do away with rankings. They become meaningless. If you are a P5 conference champ and you aren't in the top 8, then you don't deserve a chance at the national title, your resume is clearly flawed.

A team that wins a conference title shouldn't automatically qualify for anything with regards to FBS football. We aren't taking about 64+ teams like we are in basketball, baseball, softball, women's basketball. Nearly 1 of every 5 teams makes the tournaments in those other sports. To get where 1 in 5 FBS teams makes the CFP, you would need to be at 26 teams. As it sits now, only 3% 4 of of the teams make the CFP, where as in basketball, 19%, (68 or 351) make the tournament. When the selection process for football is that tight, there needs to be a strict standard for deciding who gets in, and being the conference champ simply isn't strict enough.

• Clemson
  • Alabama
  • Ohio State

Five questions for 2019?

We are in an era of inclusiveness and I don't like it. There is no way there are more than 4 teams that deserve to be the national champion and most years I will argue there are only one or two. So if everyone wants a 8-4 or 9-3 SEC team to get included and then because of venue selection get a home field advantage and goes on to knock off a better team by all means lets get more teams in. If it were up to me and it is not I would leave it to the two top teams and play the game. (as an example. Everyone knew last year by the second game that Clemson and Alabama were far superior to every other team. ND and OU were very undeserving teams. The 2014 Alabama semi final game with Ohio State was close and the 2017 game with Georgia and OU was also close, but the rest of the playoff games have been blow-outs)

Last edited:
Reactions: Dean Pope
If you are going to just take the champions of the P5 CCG, you might as well do away with rankings. They become meaningless. If you are a P5 conference champ and you aren't in the top 8, then you don't deserve a chance at the national title, your resume is clearly flawed.

A team that wins a conference title shouldn't automatically qualify for anything with regards to FBS football. We aren't taking about 64+ teams like we are in basketball, baseball, softball, women's basketball. Nearly 1 of every 5 teams makes the tournaments in those other sports. To get where 1 in 5 FBS teams makes the CFP, you would need to be at 26 teams. As it sits now, only 3% 4 of of the teams make the CFP, where as in basketball, 19%, (68 or 351) make the tournament. When the selection process for football is that tight, there needs to be a strict standard for deciding who gets in, and being the conference champ simply isn't strict enough.

Agree 100% those 8 teams (if it went to eight) shouldn’t be based on CCG winners it should be strictly based on the same 13 Member Committee that currently does the seeding. In some cases a CCG might not get in.

We are in an era of inclusiveness and I don't like it. There is no way there are more than 4 teams that deserve to be the national champion and most years I will argue there are only one or two. So if everyone wants a 8-4 or 9-3 SEC team to get included and then because of venue selection get a home field advantage and goes on to knock of a better team.by all means lets get more teams in. If it were up to me and it is not I would leave it to the two top teams and play the game. (as an example. Everyone knew last year by the second game that Clemson and Alabama were far superior to every other team. ND and OU were very undeserving teams. The 2014 Alabama semi final game with Ohio State was close and the 2017 game with Georgia and OU was close all the rest of the playoff games have been blow-outs)
Thats pretty much it in a nutshell. How many times in all honesty have we had a team deserving of a title shot not been given one? It always seems to sort itself out even when we didnt have a playoff.

Reactions: scarletred
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT