ADVERTISEMENT

Should never have joined the Big 12

When Oklahoma and Nebraska would play after Thanksgiving every year in the de facto National Championship semifinal game.
The Big 8 was it. Plus we lost all of those great sign opportunities. The best had to be when Switzer and OU were in town somebody held one up in the stadium that said, "Hey Barry. Does your wife miss the Big 8?" Seems like I remember she had kicked him out of the house for having a fling.

Big 8 was fun but a lost cause as everyone was making moves in the late 80’s and early 90’s. We were already the smallest conference with the least population.

Wasn’t even possible to think we could have survived as is. We needed the Texas schools and you guys just are narrow visioned with the big 8 talk. Had to happen. Yes NU should have maintained annual OU game tho.

We fondly remember the Big 8 because of how dominant Nebraska was with T.O. as the HC.

Coaching is so important. The level of desire in players is just as important though.

When Nebraska starts to have players that eat, breathe, and sleep football, and when coaches are able to motivate a whole recruited team of that type of player into a frenzy, good times will be had.

And I miss all the oranges being thrown on the field during the Oklahoma game. Ohio State-Michigan was second fiddle that weekend

Ohio state vs Michigan is probably the best rivalry in sports even though Michigan can’t beat them anymore. There are plenty of other rivalries, but these schools and states hate each other

Ohio state vs Michigan is probably the best rivalry in sports even though Michigan can’t beat them anymore. There are plenty of other rivalries, but these schools and states hate each other

Duke/North Carolina and it's not even close...

The Big 8 was it. Plus we lost all of those great sign opportunities. The best had to be when Switzer and OU were in town somebody held one up in the stadium that said, "Hey Barry. Does your wife miss the Big 8?" Seems like I remember she had kicked him out of the house for having a fling.

People state that it was the Big 2 but I argue that it was just getting strong at the end. Colorado was a top 10 school, and K-State & KU we’re also having good years.

between 1985 - 1995, the Big 8 had 4 National championship and played for 7 total. That’s pretty good for a conference that small and in the mid-west

And I miss all the oranges being thrown on the field during the Oklahoma game. Ohio State-Michigan was second fiddle that weekend

Oklahoma and Texas say hi. It’s even worse bc the oil economies compete against each other too, beyond athletics this one goes. I realize Ohio and Michigan have it as states also, but in what industry? Auto? Doesn’t compare.

And the game being at a neutral site and the State Fair of Texas is undefeated. Can’t convinced me otherwise. Nothing like it.

OSU and Michigan get their (and understandably so) hype bc closer to the major cities and coasts. OU and Texas rivalry is bigger and better. You need to go to the game to see if for yourself.

OU + Texas = 11 natties in poll era
OSU + UM = 7

OU + Texas = this century about split in W/L’s
OSU + UM = OSU 90% winning. How’s that a big rivalry? 16 of 19 this century lol.

Last edited:

People state that it was the Big 2 but I argue that it was just getting strong at the end. Colorado was a top 10 school, and K-State & KU we’re also having good years.

between 1985 - 1995, the Big 8 had 4 National championship and played for 7 total. That’s pretty good for a conference that small and in the mid-west

OU+TX and the 8 dwarfs are WAY better than OU+NU and the 6 dwarfs were.

We only had CU do anything outside of OU and NU before. Ku, WVU, Baylor, TCU, Kstate, Okie State and Tech. Literally everyone except ISU...has had 11 win seasons in the last 10-12 seasons. And most of those with multiple. The Big 8 maybe the other 6 schools had 1-2 of them achieve that in CU and maybe a OSU season in there with Barry Sanders? In HISTORY of the big 8.

Current or former Big 12 shits on the Big 8.

Reactions: woodside hawk

We only had CU do anything outside of OU and NU before. Ku, WVU, Baylor, TCU, Kstate, Okie State and Tech. Literally everyone except ISU...has had 11 win seasons in the last 10-12 seasons. And most of those with multiple. The Big 8 maybe the other 6 schools had 1-2 of them achieve that in CU and maybe a OSU season in there with Barry Sanders? In HISTORY of the big 8.

It sure did.

Goodbye now.

Oklahoma and Texas say hi. It’s even worse bc the oil economies compete against each other too, beyond athletics this one goes. I realize Ohio and Michigan have it as states also, but in what industry? Auto? Doesn’t compare.

And the game being at a neutral site and the State Fair of Texas is undefeated. Can’t convinced me otherwise. Nothing like it.

OSU and Michigan get their (and understandably so) hype bc closer to the major cities and coasts. OU and Texas rivalry is bigger and better. You need to go to the game to see if for yourself.

OU + Texas = 11 natties in poll era
OSU + UM = 7

OU + Texas = this century about split in W/L’s
OSU + UM = OSU 90% winning. How’s that a big rivalry? 16 of 19 this century lol.

NU + OU = 12 natties in the poll era. Your point?

Reactions: timnsun

Sounds like you’re in the right conference then. Congrats!

I’m glad there is still some American Muscle around. I don’t care for the import, buzzy, fart sounding cars with glow lights and F-14 style wings.
I used to think that way until I was looking to buy an older one for investment purposes.. it did put you back into the seat, but it felt big, overloaded, not connected to the road, technologically much inferior.

Cars today are so much more refined and better in every way to those of the late 60s-early 70s.

I came away from that test drive thinking, jeez, that drove terrible from what I used to remember.

Prob a good investment, but I passed on it.

Reactions: Husker02GT
I like this take. The “Come back to the Big 12” threads are stupid. We were a bad fit in that league. When the Big 12 idea was being floated, NU should have begged the Big Ten for admission then.

I like this take. The “Come back to the Big 12” threads are stupid. We were a bad fit in that league. When the Big 12 idea was being floated, NU should have begged the Big Ten for admission then.

Terrible fit for the 15 years in it:

Played for two natties, won 1.
Multiple Division and Conf titles.
Nationally relevant for duration except (3?) Callahan years.

Now...

The B1G killed what made NU great. I’m sad for you that you don’t see it. Coming from a guy who actually appreciates NU, it’s people and tradition.

Nebraska football was well above avg before Mike Riley. And was competing decent amongst the other B1G institutions.

You vultures need to go away...the Cornhuskers aren't dead yet.

GO BIG RED!!!

Reactions: B3Vandy
At least for awhile. Eventually Texas and Oklahoma will leave for greener pastures and the rest of the Big 12 teams will be scrambling to find non-Power 5 leagues to take them in.

It’s just a matter of time.

The Big XII always sucked. Adding Texas schools from the corrupt Southwest Conference destroyed the Big 8. Now all they are left with is the Longhorn Network while the Big Ten, Pac 12, SEC and ACC have outstanding broadcast partners and their own channels.

Reactions: MUJoey

We should have, but the Big Ten was not ready for expansion at that time. Fortunately we got in 15 years later. Should have never joined the Big XII, but we had no other options at the time other than going independent like BYU. Coach Devaney always wanted UNL to get invited to join the Big Ten.

I used to think that way until I was looking to buy an older one for investment purposes.. it did put you back into the seat, but it felt big, overloaded, not connected to the road, technologically much inferior.

Cars today are so much more refined and better in every way to those of the late 60s-early 70s.

I came away from that test drive thinking, jeez, that drove terrible from what I used to remember.

Prob a good investment, but I passed on it.
Sorry I was referring to the modern Mustangs, Camaro, and Challengers. I love the looks, the horsepower, and that they can actually corner and stop with the best sports cars out there.

The Big 8 is the only conference to ever have 3 teams in the top 3 in the final poll and the first conference to have 4 finish in the Top 10. Screw the Big 12

Terrible fit for the 15 years in it:

Played for two natties, won 1.
Multiple Division and Conf titles.
Nationally relevant for duration except (3?) Callahan years.

Now...

The B1G killed what made NU great. I’m sad for you that you don’t see it. Coming from a guy who actually appreciates NU, it’s people and tradition.

Jesus, don’t be an idiot. The Big Ten has nothing to do with NU’s problems.

LOL.at consideration of a neuveau basketball rivalry.

Congress had to intervene when Ohio and Michigan called up their militia to fight over Toledo in 1835. The hatred has been there ever since.

Ohio St isnt even the best college football rivalry, let alone sports. Nobody gives a damn about that game except BIG followers.

Reactions: Sinomatic

The Big 8 is the only conference to ever have 3 teams in the top 3 in the final poll and the first conference to have 4 finish in the Top 10. Screw the Big 12

Mmmk. Ya go baste in your Big 8 days bc it was good for YOU. And OU. That’s it. Mizzou, CU, Pokes and KU would have a once a decade or every other decade good team. CU then got McCartney in 1986 or so. Until then, it was a joke of a top to bottom league. The current and former Big 12 top to bottom takes 5 dumps on it.

It was very average for the rest of us. B-ball was always good in it. But, for football OU and NU dominated so much no one else could hang up there. The current and firm big 12 allowed / allows for anyone to win bc Texas recruiting grounds levels the playing field

The issue is you guys can’t handle the truth and I knew from 2010 on this would all happen. But what do I know?! Just was engrained with the Big 8 and college sports in diapers. Know your own program better than a lot of your fans.

bash me all you want, and I hated Texas and what they did in 2009 with the PAC temptation and the LHN, but there were ways to work through it. And it’s all in the past now - Dodd’s and Beebe are long gone and Big 12 making record money per team. We’d be the same as the B1G if you guys rejoined, so stop with the money crap.
Call your regents or forever live in this cesspool. Coming from a guy who cares.

Mmmk. Ya go baste in your Big 8 days bc it was good for YOU. And OU. That’s it. Mizzou, CU, Pokes and KU would have a once a decade or every other decade good team. CU then got McCartney in 1986 or so. Until then, it was a joke of a top to bottom league. The current and former Big 12 top to bottom takes 5 dumps on it.

It was very average for the rest of us. B-ball was always good in it. But, for football OU and NU dominated so much no one else could hang up there. The current and firm big 12 allowed / allows for anyone to win bc Texas recruiting grounds levels the playing field

The issue is you guys can’t handle the truth and I knew from 2010 on this would all happen. But what do I know?! Just was engrained with the Big 8 and college sports in diapers. Know your own program better than a lot of your fans.

bash me all you want, and I hated Texas and what they did in 2009 with the PAC temptation and the LHN, but there were ways to work through it. And it’s all in the past now - Dodd’s and Beebe are long gone and Big 12 making record money per team. We’d be the same as the B1G if you guys rejoined, so stop with the money crap.
Call your regents or forever live in this cesspool. Coming from a guy who cares.

UNL is flourishing as a Big Ten university. K-State is stuck in the swamp and has to beg for CU, NU, MU and aTm to return. Fact - Not that it will ever happen, but KSU would immediately leave if the SEC, Big Ten or PAC 12 came calling.

Stop caring. You're like the obsessive ex who hears you went through a little abuse and sees an opportunity.

Once the 11-1 votes started happening and Texas flirted with the PAC Nebraska was gone. And will be forever.

I haven't even watched a Big 12 game in like 3 or 4 years.

Reactions: bshirt73
Stop caring. You're like the obsessive ex who hears you went through a little abuse and sees an opportunity.

Once the 11-1 votes started happening and Texas flirted with the PAC Nebraska was gone. And will be forever.

Same here. No interest.

Reactions: bshirt73

Same here. No interest.

Ditto on the BIG SLOW. Y’alls new brethren are rough as hell to watch! Hold OSU maybe.

Until OSU, PSU, or UM schedules the SEC or Clemson, it doesn’t get any viewers in Kan-Okla-Tex and I doubt in the southeast either. Beat up on patsies and the G5. All go go 6-0, and then the B1G wonders why it flops when it matters. At least Texas put the gloves on and got in the ring with Georgia and LSU, beating Georgia. OU played right with Clemson in 2015 but wasn’t ready. Should have beat Georgia 2017, and HollyWOOD Brown was injured vs Bama or it’s close (still only lose by 10, 45-35?). Meanwhile, since 2015, the B1G has done nothing on the big stage except beating OU in 2016 which was reversed by OU getting it back in 2017. And even at that, OU went out and smoked Auburn in the Sugar Bowl while OSU got goose egged! UM got walloped by Florida last year. UM has the only good win for the B1G in the last 3 seasons. And that was a 6-2 ND this year who almost lost to VT last week.

And you haven’t watched the B12 prob you turn off sports when the playoffs start bc the B1G hasn’t been in them in 5 years! 2015 and 2016 mine as well stayed home. Was a worse look to even show up.

Last edited:
I’ve said it before & I’ll say it again. I miss the Big12 because it was way weaker than the B1G.

The top is better in the B1G. The middle is way better in the B1G. And the bottom is better in the B1G.

Basically, I just miss winning.

Ditto on the BIG SLOW. Y’alls new brethren are rough as hell to watch! Hold OSU maybe.

Until OSU, PSU, or UM schedules the SEC or Clemson, it doesn’t get any viewers in Kan-Okla-Tex and I doubt in the southeast either. Beat up on patsies and the G5. All go go 6-0, and then the B1G wonders why it flops when it matters. At least Texas put the gloves on and got in the ring with Georgia and LSU, beating Georgia. OU played right with Clemson in 2015 but wasn’t ready. Should have beat Georgia 2017, and HollyWOOD Brown was injured vs Bama or it’s close (still only lose by 10, 45-35?). Meanwhile, since 2015, the B1G has done nothing on the big stage except beating OU in 2016 which was reversed by OU getting it back in 2017. And even at that, OU went out and smoked Auburn in the Sugar Bowl while OSU got goose egged! UM got walloped by Florida last year. UM has the only good win for the B1G in the last 3 seasons. And that was a 6-2 ND this year who almost lost to VT last week.

And you haven’t watched the B12 prob you turn off sports when the playoffs start bc the B1G hasn’t been in them in 5 years! 2015 and 2016 mine as well stayed home. Was a worse look to even show up.

LOL. The Big Ten won the first College Football Playoff title. The Big XII has never won a single CFP game. Nice try.

LOL. The Big Ten won the first College Football Playoff title. The Big XII has never won a single CFP game. Nice try.

OK great? Nice D riding on OSU. The ONLY team that can win a big game in the SLOW.

This century, the Big 12, ACC, and SEC are the only conferences that have multiple teams that have won natties tho. The B1G has OSU. The PAC has USC. THATS IT. And then 3 teams if we go back 20 years with NU’s 1997. PSU’s natty days are over. And they never won one in the Big 10, all were as independent. UM can’t get out of their own way. It’s OSU or bust for the B1G. OU may still make it in this year. KState or Texas will be in the playoff next year.

SW Lincoln Boy, you can keep defending your lost cause all you want. It’s a joke as an outsider to watch and see. I REALLY feel sorry for you. You are BLIND.

I would have loved to have stayed in the conference we were.... before the big 12. Too bad the big8 didn't use the BIG model. When the 4 schools came in from the corrupt $WC, they should have became members of the Big8. Keeping the rules and by-laws. Simply an expansion of the big8. 7 schools sold their souls to the devil because of jealousy of Big brother. 11-1 is pretty hard to want to be a part of.

What's done is done and water under the bridge. We're where we are in a stable conference. As for the big 12, that remains to be seen

OK great? Nice D riding on OSU. The ONLY team that can win a big game in the SLOW.

This century, the Big 12, ACC, and SEC are the only conferences that have multiple teams that have won natties tho. The B1G has OSU. The PAC has USC. THATS IT. And then 3 teams if we go back 20 years with NU’s 1997. PSU’s natty days are over. And they never won one in the Big 10, all were as independent. UM can’t get out of their own way. It’s OSU or bust for the B1G. OU may still make it in this year. KState or Texas will be in the playoff next year.

SW Lincoln Boy, you can keep defending your lost cause all you want. It’s a joke as an outsider to watch and see. I REALLY feel sorry for you. You are BLIND.

I am defending leaving your sorry Big XII as anyone else with a brain is doing. Go beg aTm, CU and MU to return and they will laugh in your face, too. Why are you wasting all of your days praying for us to return to the Longhorn Network? Get a life, dude. We are all perfectly happy where we are. K-State has never won anything of importance. Hell of a trophy case.

Big XII/Texas 10 still have not won a college football playoff game and only one of your schools has ever made it (OU). Still waiting...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT