ADVERTISEMENT

Should conference winners be guaranteed a spot in an expanded CFP?

I always preferred a 6-team playoff

5 P5 champs + 1

top 2 get byes

give me a format that better maintains the integrity of the regular season & the conference championship (aka the heart & soul of college football) and I will happily listen

SIAP - or if someone posted a similar opinion

First thing is you have to determine if you are trying to just name a champion or if you are trying to find the best team.

If you are trying to determine the best team, just put the 12 highest ranked teams in the tournament, anything else is simply naming a champion. If there was a tournament this year, the 8th ranked team would be receiving a bye, in this year's tournament. Some year's it isn't an issue, 11 of the top 12 would be in the tournament this year with only Washington left out for Tulane. I don't agree with rewarding conference champs with the bye. The top 4 teams should get the byes.
Here is why I disagree with you...The rankings prove almost every week that they are wrong. Teams ranked ahead of other teams lose all the time...Picking teams by rankings is inherently flawed. Now picking teams by conference championships, every team knows what their path to the playoff is each year. Win my conference and I'm in.

Here is why I disagree with you...The rankings prove almost every week that they are wrong. Teams ranked ahead of other teams lose all the time...Picking teams by rankings is inherently flawed. Now picking teams by conference championships, every team knows what their path to the playoff is each year. Win my conference and I'm in.
Great, but Utah got beat by a middle of the road SEC east team So conferences are not created equally. Rewarding a team for winning a weaker league doesn't prove they are one of the best teams.

What you are attempting to do is take subjective out of part of the process but leaving it in for another part of the process.

Again, do you want to have a tournament with the 12 best teams or do you want to just crown a champion?

Great, but Utah got beat by a middle of the road SEC east team So conferences are not created equally. Rewarding a team for winning a weaker league doesn't prove they are one of the best teams.

What you are attempting to do is take subjective out of part of the process but leaving it in for another part of the process.

Again, do you want to have a tournament with the 12 best teams or do you want to just crown a champion?
I don't care if it is the 12 best teams. I want teams that have earned their right to be there by winning their conference.

Reactions: king_kong_
I always preferred a 6-team playoff

5 P5 champs + 1

top 2 get byes

give me a format that better maintains the integrity of the regular season & the conference championship (aka the heart & soul of college football) and I will happily listen
I would agree. The teams that should be in this year's playoff under that format should be Georgia, Michigan, Clemson, Utah, K-State, and Tulane. Why Tulane you might ask? Tulane beat K-State and won their conference which is why I think they should get the 6th spot

I would agree. The teams that should be in this year's playoff under that format should be Georgia, Michigan, Clemson, Utah, K-State, and Tulane. Why Tulane you might ask? Tulane beat K-State and won their conference which is why I think they should get the 6th spot
a very fun field, and I don't think anyone would argue the winner of that tourney isn't also the "best" team because they didn't have to play non conference champions like ohiost, tcu and alabama

Reactions: moralvictories
I don't care if it is the 12 best teams. I want teams that have earned their right to be there by winning their conference.
Then you don't care if the best teams actually play for the title. With the game against Florida, Utah showed it would finish 4th in the SEC East.

Then we can just expand to 6. Any number of wildcard teams would be subjective. So eliminate it totally.
I would be fully in favor of this

subjectivity would then shift to which G5 league gets the 6th bid, which would be fun some years

Then you don't care if the best teams actually play for the title. With the game against Florida, Utah showed it would finish 4th in the SEC East.
By that logic, Clemson lost to Notre Dame, who lost to Stanford. Therefore, Clemson would finish near the bottom of the Pac 12.

I would be fully in favor of this

subjectivity would then shift to which G5 league gets the 6th bid, which would be fun some years
Since there were no undefeated G5 teams this year, Tulane would be the most deserving of the 6th spot since they beat Big 12 champion K-State.

Last edited:
The Pac 12 was 2-6 against other P5 teams. Washington beating Michigan St and Washington St beating Wisconsin. They were 0-3 against the SEC, Oregon lost badly to Georgia, the Utah/ Florida game and Arizona got pounded by Miss St. Two of the losses were to middle of the road SEC teams, the SEC champ beat Oregon (2nd place in the league) by 40ish and the Pac 12 champ lost to a middle of the road SEC team.

Nope, again, it was a head to head matchup. Utah, Pac 12 champ, lost to 6-6 Florida out of the SEC. Much different than Clemson losing to ND who lost to Stanford.
you really think the 2nd best independent team should get in?

;)

Nope, again, it was a head to head matchup. Utah, Pac 12 champ, lost to 6-6 Florida out of the SEC. Much different than Clemson losing to ND who lost to Stanford.
Clemson should be out due to their loss to ND alone. ND beat Clemson and North Carolina, both of whom played in the ACC championship game, therefore, ND is the true ACC champion.

Say for instance Purdue beats Michigan, or sending Utah and KSU in an expanded playoff?

I wonder how this idea would play out if all P5 conference winners went to the CFP? Would the remaining spots be filled out subjectively like giving a spot to a conference runner up who’s a media darling? Or giving a Cincinnati or UCF a spot?

I guess my idea would try to eliminate subjective popularity polls that are even more obsolete given the CFP. It would be more like the NFL, which given NIL and the transfer portal it already kinda is.
Yes. Win your conference and get a bid. I would like to see the regular season keep some importance. Lose two games in the regular season and you do not deserve to be in the playoff.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT