ADVERTISEMENT

Should conference winners be guaranteed a spot in an expanded CFP?

BugsAreQualityProtein

Redshirt Freshman
Sep 14, 2021
Say for instance Purdue beats Michigan, or sending Utah and KSU in an expanded playoff?

I wonder how this idea would play out if all P5 conference winners went to the CFP? Would the remaining spots be filled out subjectively like giving a spot to a conference runner up who’s a media darling? Or giving a Cincinnati or UCF a spot?

I guess my idea would try to eliminate subjective popularity polls that are even more obsolete given the CFP. It would be more like the NFL, which given NIL and the transfer portal it already kinda is.

Say for instance Purdue beats Michigan, or sending Utah and KSU in an expanded playoff?

I wonder how this idea would play out if all P5 conference winners went to the CFP? Would the remaining spots be filled out subjectively like giving a spot to a conference runner up who’s a media darling? Or giving a Cincinnati or UCF a spot?

I guess my idea would try to eliminate subjective popularity polls that are even more obsolete given the CFP. It would be more like the NFL, which given NIL and the transfer portal it already kinda is.
NO

Reactions: BigRedTed
With the expanded BIG and SEC the committee better come with a way to value strength of schedule rather than simple W-L records or the pac 12 - big 12 - ACC are going to feast

Reactions: HominidHusker
Yes. The current system is asinine. We only have two teams worthy of a shot and yet they have to pick 4. It will be worse with 12. At least make the conference title game meaningful
I agree, there’s probably many who disagree but I think the CFP dilutes the sport and expanding it to 12 would only make it worse. I also agree on conference championships which are meaningless to the CFP. I think they should only be done if there is a tie in the conference.

The 2024 - 2025 format gives the 4 top rated conf champions a bye

As of now (before Michigan game) 2 of the group of Utah - KSU or Clemson/NC winner will receive byes

Yes, that's the point of expanding the playoff field. You'll now get the P5 conference champs plus the 7 best teams out of the rest of the field. IMO it's a good way to make winning a conference championship worth something.

Pretty nice setup if you happen to be the 5 seed
With those added bye weeks there already mimicking an NFL playoff.

I guess with my idea there would have to be a lot of agreeance between conferences. Which is why I think it would probably never happen.

no, untill the heads of college football can learn basic math,
the commitee should be allowed to get as many sec teams into the playoff as they desire.

Reactions: AnyOneButYou
Only if divisions are eliminated in conferences that have auto bids. Even then I can be convinced otherwise.

Reactions: AnyOneButYou

People want a playoff. Win your conference championship game and you should be in regardless of record. That’s what a tournament is all about.

Conference champions should get automatic bids. I'm not sure that they deserve byes, that should probably be based on seating. Conferences should be able to determine how their champion is decided: winner of each division in a playoff, two highest ranked/best record teams in a playoff, or just a champion without a playoff.

I've been pushing for an 8 team playoff for 10+ years. This would be all power 5 conference winners and 3 at-large. The final 3 would allow for G5 and independents if they have a great resume. If an 8 went this year it looks like this:

1 Georgia
2 Michigan
3 Utah
4 Clemson
5 KSU
6 Alabama
7 Ohio St
8 TCU or USC

You can't tell me this wouldn't be epic and satisfactory.

Last edited:
Yes. The current system is asinine. We only have two teams worthy of a shot and yet they have to pick 4. It will be worse with 12. At least make the conference title game meaningful
Better chance of getting the right two teams if they have to pick 4. During the BCS years, sometimes it was questionable if the two best teams were truly picked.

I've been pushing for an 8 team playoff for 10+ years. This would be all power 5 conference winners and 3 at-large. The final 3 would allow for G5 and independents if they have a great resume. If an 8 went this year it looks like this:

1 Georgia
2 Michigan
3 Utah
4 Clemson
5 KSU
6 Alabama
7 Ohio St
8 TCU or USC

You can't tell me this wouldn't be epic and satisfactory.
UGA vs TCU/USC
MICH VS OSU REMATCH
UT VS BAMA
CLEMSON VS KSU

That would be your next games.

There are 129 teams (as of June 2022 according to Sports King)... that team left out may be the winning team!!!!
Presently there is 131 FBS according to the NCAA.

And yes conference champions should be part of the 12 team playoff..

Short answer, no. Body of work.

Now if you get blown out in your conference championship game, I may have second thoughts.

Of course they should. Should pro team conf champs be put in their playoffs?

Yes. And no other teams should be invited. Only conference champs. The conference champ games is round 1 of the tournament. Everyone has an equal chance at that point. And there is no picking and choosing who gets in.

The 2024 - 2025 format gives the 4 top rated conf champions a bye

As of now (before Michigan game) 2 of the group of Utah - KSU or Clemson/NC winner will receive byes
Pretty nice setup if you happen to be the 5 seed
GREAT setup for the 5 seed: HOST the last team to qualify... then neutral site against the 4th-best conference champion.

Reactions: Redmich

I don't know if it matters anymore. There's likely not going to be a P5, but probably consolidate into fewer conferences. And there's really only a P2 anymore. That said, an 8 team playoff always made the most sense. But then again it's the NCAA, they can screw anything up.

Reactions: moralvictories
I don't know if it matters anymore. There's likely not going to be a P5, but probably consolidate into fewer conferences. And there's really only a P2 anymore. That said, an 8 team playoff always made the most sense. But then again it's the NCAA, they can screw anything up.
Yes, the only power conferences in the near future will be the B1G and the SEC.

12 teams is going it make it better. Why don't people want to watch games where the teams are actually playing for something?

Really should go to 16.

12 teams is going it make it better. Why don't people want to watch games where the teams are actually playing for something?

Really should go to 16.
Oregon St, Florida St, Oregon and LSU are all around the 13-16 all have 3 losses and one has 4 after losing the CCG..

This is what you get if it’s 16..and one had their chance in a CCG. K-State is the only team among the top 12 with 3 losses but they won 10 by winning the Big12 CCG.

Oregon St, Florida St, Oregon and LSU are all around the 13-16 all have 3 losses and one has 4 after losing the CCG..

This is what you get if it’s 16..and one had their chance in a CCG. K-State is the only team among the top 12 with 3 losses but they won 10 by winning the Big12 CCG.
Oh the horror....

I would give all conference champions a bid. NCAA can tell some of the smaller conferences to merge, but I think every team should control their own destiny and win your conference and you are in.

SIAP - or if someone posted a similar opinion

First thing is you have to determine if you are trying to just name a champion or if you are trying to find the best team.

If you are trying to determine the best team, just put the 12 highest ranked teams in the tournament, anything else is simply naming a champion. If there was a tournament this year, the 8th ranked team would be receiving a bye, in this year's tournament. Some year's it isn't an issue, 11 of the top 12 would be in the tournament this year with only Washington left out for Tulane. I don't agree with rewarding conference champs with the bye. The top 4 teams should get the byes.

I would give all conference champions a bid. NCAA can tell some of the smaller conferences to merge, but I think every team should control their own destiny and win your conference and you are in.
In that case, they should expand the playoffs to 8 teams. All power 5 champions get in plus 3 wildcards.

Reactions: scarletred
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT