ADVERTISEMENT

Should a college football program

This is really ridiculous.

1. Nebraska's talent sucked terribly when Frost arrived. Any offense or defense they inserted would've struggled.

- the team possessed 2 underclassmen scholarship linebackers.

- the roster included only 3 viable Big Ten caliber scholarship underclassmen scholarship offensive linemen.

- the secondary was too small to compete in the Big Ten.

- there were 0 Big Ten quality underclassmen RBs in the roster.

- there were only two Big Ten caliber underclassmen receivers on the roster.

2. What fvcking offense or defense did you want to run?

- this roster would've struggled with any schematic makeup.

Its obvious you're longing for some type of revisionist adoration of Husker lore. Go check out YouTube.

-
Exactly why most of us stick to the past. The people in charge ruined a once great program starting with Spanier on to Perlman etc etc. The legacy of Delaney, Osborne, Solich, and Pelini is dead and I pray Frost can bring it back to at least Pelini levels. Nebraska is an afterthought in general besides those great coaches ‍♂️

We need a power running game we can rely on. Our wide receivers need to be able to block the perimeter. We need better production all-around.

We need a power run game. That will help our defense also.

Wrong coach for that type of offense. If you wanted to run that offense, you needed to to hire a coach that ran that type of offense.

That’s fine but I don’t really care about competing for bowls nor do I particularly care what worked 25 years ago. I want to root for a program that strives for championships and as far off as we are I don’t want to implement a scheme or recruiting strategy that tops out below that. To your question I think it’s both. It’s not feasible to expect frost to implement an entirely new scheme every year based on the variations of his roster from year to year and it’s not feasible for college kids to relearn a new scheme every season. I think he’s taking the bumps and bruises now because he believes when the team masters his scheme the offense will be elite. But at the same time you can’t ask your players to do things they can’t do and expect success.

How many spread teams have won championships? I am not saying we can't be a spread team, but we need to be able to rush. Regardless.

Imo, we need to change from some of the zone blocking scheme and have defined holes. You folks thank I want to change the offense completely. I don't. In fact, with Austin being the run game coordinator, I think we'll see more of what I'm suggesting.

Exactly why most of us stick to the past. The people in charge ruined a once great program starting with Spanier on to Perlman etc etc. The legacy of Delaney, Osborne, Solich, and Pelini is dead and I pray Frost can bring it back to at least Pelini levels. Nebraska is an afterthought in general besides those great coaches ‍♂️
It’s Devaney, imo bo didn’t coach long enough to leave a legacy, really frank didn’t either jmo

Reactions: scarletred
so the issue becomes a chicken and egg theory. Do you win without elite players, or do you have to get elite players to win????

As I have said countless times, Nebraska could have hired a coach that ran an offense similar to what Pelini/ Beck ran after they fired Pelini. With the players on the roster at that time, the next coach probably has more success than Riley had. Same could be said when hiring Frost. Had they hired a coach that ran an offense that wan't the polar opposite of what Riley ran, you don't run off 2 of the 4 QBs in the QB room. You may not lose other players, some of the players that didn't work out for Frost may have worked out for the coach that ran a system they were more suited for.

The point is, Frost can recruit enough talent to win here. Again, I know this is sacrilege but he hasn't shown that he can win games at Nebraska with just the talent he inherited. Is that because the talent was so bad, or is it because he chose to redshirt large parts of classes and basically tanked the first couple of years to develop for years 3,4 and 5? If we don't see an increase in wins this season, or at least an increase in the level of competitiveness in all games, some will question whether Frost is the right guy. It probably doesn't change anythng, but the decision to hire Frost will be debated.

We are very close in agreement, I think. There are too many things wrong with the program.

One thing they can do is teach and recruit guys that love football.

How many spread teams have won championships? I am not saying we can't be a spread team, but we need to be able to rush. Regardless.

Imo, we need to change from some of the zone blocking scheme and have defined holes. You folks thank I want to change the offense completely. I don't. In fact, with Austin being the run game coordinator, I think we'll see more of what I'm suggesting.

I would say 4 and probably 5 of the last 7 run a spread offense.

I would say 4 and probably 5 of the last 7 run a spread offense.

Separate the athletes and look at the teams. LSU is an outlier. They will have multiple first round skill position players and really has nothing to do with Nebraska because we could never recruit them currently.

You can say this or that and talk about championships, but we're a long ways from that.

I just want to see good football played by the Huskers. I want to see development. I want see discipline. I want to see those kids having fun. I'll be watching and rooting regardless. I can't help it.

Man, some of you dudes are crazy. Once we get a decent line in, with the skill players we have? We're about to blow some doors off.

ADVERTISEMENT