ADVERTISEMENT

Short term Investment Options

I use Vio bank for my online high yield savings account and have gotten above 2% since I opened it. It takes longer to access (and deposit) but that was the point for me. I wouldn't touch the money unless I actually needed it and I earned more interest in 10 days than I had in 2 years at a big bank. Highly recommend them though if you go the online high yield savings account route.

Ps, any money you put in the bank is no longer technically yours. Instead, you become an unsecured creditor of the bank, and your only protection is FDIC, who does not maintain the reserves necessary to bail out the domino effect of bankruptcies. Whatever you do, don’t keep money in HSBC, Santander, Soft Bank, or Deutsch Bank.

Ps, any money you put in the bank is no longer technically yours. Instead, you become an unsecured creditor of the bank, and your only protection is FDIC, who does not maintain the reserves necessary to bail out the domino effect of bankruptcies. Whatever you do, don’t keep money in HSBC, Santander, Soft Bank, or Deutsch Bank.

Why those banks in particular?

In my opinion, the market is coming down soon, it typically doesn’t preform well in election years anyways. It’s always something “no one” sees coming and seemingly when things have never been better and there’s only reason for optimism. I am shorting, but I wouldn’t short that puppy in your situation, if you have near plans for that money.

You could look into buying Tax liens. Omaha’s tax lien sale is coming up in March and would be probably a safe 3 month (or so) investment earning 14%. They’re tough to buy though because they are such a solid investment. Other than that, high yield online savings account or CD, as almost everyone else has said already.

Why those banks in particular?

In my opinion, the market is coming down soon, it typically doesn’t preform well in election years anyways. It’s always something “no one” sees coming and seemingly when things have never been better and there’s only reason for optimism. I am shorting, but I wouldn’t short that puppy in your situation, if you have near plans for that money.

You could look into buying Tax liens. Omaha’s tax lien sale is coming up in March and would be probably a safe 3 month (or so) investment earning 14%. They’re tough to buy though because they are such a solid investment. Other than that, high yield online savings account or CD, as almost everyone else has said already.
They're foreign banks but they're still insured by FDIC I believe.

Reactions: huskerfan66
I just received a small cash windfall from an inheritance and wanting to invest or do something other than putting it in a CD or savings. I will need the money in about 8 to 12 months to put down on a home purchase. What have you done, short term. to maximize, lets say $60K to $70K? For example, I have a buddy who buys and sells all types of farm equipment, says he makes some good money each year doing this. I don't have the knowledge or land to put farm equipment on,but wanted to bring up an example.
If you need the money in that quick of time, I would put it in an online savings account. Make close to 2% on it and start looking for houses.

Yep. Best option for 12 months out there. Might as well earn 2 percent with no risk. Better than a savings account that will pay virtually nothing.
Sure Wells Fargo and other big banks are ripping people off with 0.01% savings interest, but check out the online savings accounts. You can do 1.5-2% with no risk. The bond market right now has more risk than it normally does. If anything right now, I would do a short term bond index fund. But again, if you're going to pull it out quickly, why bother?

I'm betting a certain someone knows his chances of winning a certain election right around the corner goes way up if the market stays up so I don't think one needs to worry about the market at an all time high for a bit, it can still grow.
The corporate tax cuts that certain someone put through has helped Wall Street and it will continue to be fine if the village idiots he takes advice from do not lead him astray.

LFCU has some of the best checking and savings accounts on the market.

savings .75%

checking 4.00% I believe

Last edited:
This is cash that you don't want to depreciate and have a home for. Sorry about the pun. I would go conservative and use a CD or short term bond if available. You don't want to risk not having your down payment of your dream house.
Yes it's not sexy but you'll have it when you need it
This is all you need to know.. very solid advice.

Reactions: TheBeav815
Dang I just got an offer from my local bank if 5 month and 15 month CD @ 2%

A big +1 to the posters who have said that "short term" and "investment" do not belong together in a sentence. This is not investing money, this is money you already have earmarked for a need. Put it in a savings account so that it's there in a few months when you need it.

Putting into farm equipment sounds like one of the worst goddamned ideas I've ever heard. You wanna make money selling farm equipment, get a job at John Deere. For every story of a guy who got rich plunking down on his buddy's business idea, there's a hundred stories of a guy who lost the money and the buddy in the process.

Investing money is money you can stomach watching go down in value and eventually back up. I have my 401K in a very cheap S&P 500 fund and a fund for dividend paying stocks. Both very low cost. That is money I will not touch for many decades. Fashioned after Warren Buffett's advice to casual investors and the success of his "Million Dollar Bet."

Online savings (FNBO Direct...Ally Bank...etc.) will pay upwards of 2% and are fully insured for that amount. Easy to open and withdraw.

Liberty first in Lincoln ne has a 4% checking acct up to $40000.

But you have to have an auto debit or credit every month, check your e statement online, and charge the debit card 10 times in the month...

I generally wouldn’t recommend putting money in the market at an all time high with the run we’ve had and the uncertainty of our economic and political climate of you want to pull it out in the next year.
Agree. That is why I would put it all in a little technology called, Opti-grab!

Liberty first in Lincoln ne has a 4% checking acct up to $40000.

But you have to have an auto debit or credit every month, check your e statement online, and charge the debit card 10 times in the month...
Easy to do!

1 direct deposit
E statement enrolled
12 debit card post and settled
Check banking

their savings is a great deal. We get 4.75%, 4% in checking and .75% in savings, it automatically sends the 4.75% to the savings account.

they have a 13 month cd special at 2.15%

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT