ADVERTISEMENT

Shoe is now on the other foot.

Mack In Motion

Graduate Assistant
Jun 20, 2001
Alvarez wants the 21 day "sit out time" reduced now that his program is the one affected by it.

But we learned a couple things a couple short months ago

1) The BIG doesn't really hold votes. They just get together on an issue until everything is agreed to unanimously. Which requires give and take. As in, if you want to change from what was agreed to (21 days) in order to benefit your football program then you get to give as well -- might have to agree to something other programs deem a benefit to their program.

2) you don't speak out publicly against BIG decisions. 21 days was agreed to by the conference

I thought that Barry giving some teams the shaft -- schedule wise -- who were outspoken about wanting a football season might come back around one day. Hopefully that day is today.

Last edited:
Alvarez wants the 21 day "sit out time" reduced now that his program is the one affected by it.

1) The BIG doesn't really hold votes. They just get together on an issue until everything is agreed to unanimously. Which requires give and take. As in, if you want to change from what was agreed to (21 days) in order to benefit your football program then you get to give as well -- might have to agree to something other programs deem a benefit to their program.

2) you don't speak out publicly against BIG decisions. 21 days was agreed to by the conference

I thought that Barry giving some teams the shaft who were outspoken about wanting a football season -- schedule wise -- might come back around one day. Hopefully that day is today.
What a joke of a conference.

So here’s the thing, supposedly, Wisconsin doesn’t fit the criteria of a “red-red” status, but yet they can take action as if they were and suspend their team activities on their own. Article below states they are currently an “orange-red” and that the suspension of team activities was NOT mandated by the Big 10. How the hell can Wisconsin self impose restrictions that not only effect themselves, but the opposing team in this case, when they don’t even meet the criteria agreed upon by the conference? Yes, their testing numbers are shit, but you shouldn’t be allowed to cancel the game on your own, without meeting the criteria, and expect the cancellation to count as a ‘no contest’. Wisconsin cancelled on their own, should count as a forfeit.

Then Barry Alvarez has the nerve to petition to review the 21 day quarantine rule saying that the heart scan may not be needed after all. Just watch, the Nebraska game will be counted as a no-contest and Wisconsin will have everyone available for the Purdue game.

This should be a forfeit. Wisconsin doesn't want to get beat playing their 4th string QB, so they game is not being played. Forfeit.

Yup. Then they’ll petition the big 10 to change the quarantine time from 21 days to 10 like the ACC which would allow most of these players that tested positive to play against Purdue.

Reactions: GBRforLife1
Yup. Then they’ll petition the big 10 to change the quarantine time from 21 days to 10 like the ACC which would allow most of these players that tested positive to play against Purdue.
Petition all you want.

The BIG makes decisions not by vote, but by unanimous agreement with all parties represented.

At least that's how they said they do it.

Reactions: dinglefritz
So here’s the thing, supposedly, Wisconsin doesn’t fit the criteria of a “red-red” status, but yet they can take action as if they were and suspend their team activities on their own. Article below states they are currently an “orange-red” and that the suspension of team activities was NOT mandated by the Big 10. How the hell can Wisconsin self impose restrictions that not only effect themselves, but the opposing team in this case, when they don’t even meet the criteria agreed upon by the conference? Yes, their testing numbers are shit, but you shouldn’t be allowed to cancel the game on your own, without meeting the criteria, and expect the cancellation to count as a ‘no contest’. Wisconsin cancelled on their own, should count as a forfeit.

Then Barry Alvarez has the nerve to petition to review the 21 day quarantine rule saying that the heart scan may not be needed after all. Just watch, the Nebraska game will be counted as a no-contest and Wisconsin will have everyone available for the Purdue game.

I'd say this would be too obvious, but yeah. Wisconsin will have everyone available next Saturday. If and when if happens, we should immediately make plans to leave the conference.

I thought that Barry giving some teams the shaft -- schedule wise -- who were outspoken about wanting a football season might come back around one day. Hopefully that day is today.
sure. change the rules.....going forward Dont change the punishments already in effect. Their players AND COACHES are not allowed to participate in team activities for 21 days.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Did they test positive prior and still play? If so, they should have to forfeit the game for playing ineligible players.
I’ll try and find a source on web but I heard on radio today that Paul Chryst believes Mertz may have been positive prior to Saturday when it came out. Not sure why he would say that. I will research.

I’ll try and find a source on web but I heard on radio today that Paul Chryst believes Mertz may have been positive prior to Saturday when it came out. Not sure why he would say that. I will research.
Unless they said it to try and get him back in time for the Michigan game? Regardless, he should not play in the Michigan game per the 21 day minimum rule. First tested positive on Saturday 10/24 and confirmed either Sunday or Monday. Even if you count 21 days from 10/24 he should be allowed to come back on day 22 (11/15). What I don’t know is do they count 21 days from the first day testing positive or the second time it is confirmed? Regardless, he shouldn’t be allowed to play in the Michigan game or even practice with the team prior to that. But Uncle Barry will get that fixed. Just wait and see!

Unless they said it to try and get him back in time for the Michigan game? Regardless, he should not play in the Michigan game per the 21 day minimum rule. First tested positive on Saturday 10/24 and confirmed either Sunday or Monday. Even if you count 21 days from 10/24 he should be allowed to come back on day 22 (11/15). What I don’t know is do they count 21 days from the first day testing positive or the second time it is confirmed? Regardless, he shouldn’t be allowed to play in the Michigan game or even practice with the team prior to that. But Uncle Barry will get that fixed. Just wait and see!

Remember that the 21 day rule is a combination of 14 days of quarantine and then 7 days of ‘cardiovascular activities’ which includes all of the heart scans and getting players re-acclimated to football. But the report above says that all of the heart testing may not be needed. We’ll see how many of these so called ‘rules’ get updated next week.

ADVERTISEMENT