ADVERTISEMENT

Shane Komine

Dec 2, 2014
I'm only 20 years old and didn't get into Nebraska baseball until '05 or so. I'd like to hear your best stories/facts/remembrances about the man, the myth, the legend, Shane Komine.

Didn't he come out of the bullpen to close out a game for us once, with Buck Beltzer going crazy? Maybe it was in a regional?

Didn't he throw over 150 pitches in a game once, or something?

Stuff like that. Let's hear it!

The game you are referring to was the Super Regional Series against Richmond in 2002. He essentially got the win on Friday's game and then came in to close and get the win on Sunday's game.

One of my favorite memories of Komine was when he got 4 K's in one inning. He had so much spin on his Slider that batters would swing but the ball would spin off the dirt. One batter actually struck out but made it to 1st because the ball got away from the catch (Jed Morris I believe). So he then struck out the next three guys to get 4 strikeouts in one inning.

In 2002 he missed about half the season with an injury but still finished with a 10-0 record I believe, simply amazing.

Another memory of Shane is every game he wasn't scheduled to pitch he would sit in the stands behind home plate and sign autographs for every kid that wanted one all game long.

Originally posted by NebrasketballGuy:
Didn't he come out of the bullpen to close out a game for us once, with Buck Beltzer going crazy? Maybe it was in a regional?
It was actually the first year at Haymarket Park in game 3 of the 2002 Super Regional against Richmond to advance to the CWS.

In 2000 at the regional in Minneapolis, he took a hot shot to the face and broke his jaw:
http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=2316&DB_OEM_ID=100

He returned the following week to pitch game 2 in the Super Regional at Stanford with his jaw wired shut (L 7-1).

The only game I ever saw at Buck Beltzer was 2001 against KSU on Friday, with Shane on the mound. It was miserably cold and the umpire was full of crap, so Komine's line wasn't great. Nebraska won 9-6.

I remember throughout that season the radio crew (Jim Rose and John Bishop) talking about the canned nuts Shane's parents sent to the booth from Hawai'i, and the luck that can provided when Nebraska overcame a huge deficit to eventually beat Okie State in extra innings
3dgrin.r191677.gif
pointless and stupid memory.

In that 1st win in the 2002 Super Regional vs Richmond, here was Komine's line.

9 IP 0R 4H 6K in a 2-0 win.

Komine finished his NU career 20-0 at home and was the 6th pitcher in NCAA history with at least 40 career wins and 500 career strikeouts. Best Husker pitcher I ever saw...including Joba Chamberlain. He also was like 5-foot-7 and 140 pounds.

Komine baffles Richmond

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT