ADVERTISEMENT

Shake up college football playoffs.

husker2612

Recruiting Coordinator
Nov 29, 2010
https://hailvarsity.com/s/7109/a-proposal-to-completely-shake-up-the-college-football-playoff
Anyone see this article ? Basics:

* Go to 4- 16 team conf
* 8 conf games . +3 games outside your conf, but must play a team from 1 of the 4 conf
* 8 team playoff
* 4 Conf winners gets in
* Will also have 4 sub conferences. Example BIG10 would have "minor league" A BIG10 B team of mid majors so to speak of. Every year Last place of the BIG10 would drop down to its B league and winner of the B league will move up to main conf.
* the best of the midmajors (b teams) get into playoff. Determined by record and H2H matchups.
*3 at large get in determined by 10 coaches voted on the year before by all coaches.

I think the college football structure needs to be change. I think the playoff needs to expand. I don't know if this is the best idea of have seen. I do like the idea of rotating teams in and out of the conf to help keep it competitive and ensuring it continually has good teams in it. However I don't know how you would address reg season schedules and getting all to align in only 9 months time. Obviously couldn't make years in advance like now, because new teams would be coming in and out.

This was basically the same thing that I came up with a few years ago. It seems stupid to have this 120+ teams in the same division and 1/2 of them don't have a legitimate shot at winning a national title. I say split it in 2, have playoffs for each division, and the teams that made the playoff in the previous year move into the top division somehow. Kinda tough to do with conference structures being what they are but this is all pie in the sky thinking anyway.

Reactions: husker2612
Would this be used just for Football?

No Notre Dame doesn’t add up either..

I don’t see the B1G agreeing too this in the first place even if it is hypothetical...

This was basically the same thing that I came up with a few years ago. It seems stupid to have this 120+ teams in the same division and 1/2 of them don't have a legitimate shot at winning a national title. I say split it in 2, have playoffs for each division, and the teams that made the playoff in the previous year move into the top division somehow. Kinda tough to do with conference structures being what they are but this is all pie in the sky thinking anyway.
I think of those 120 there are very few who have a legit shot to every get close to a playoff spot. Why I like the idea of the A league B league idea and rotating teams in and out. Could almost rotate worst 2 or 3 teams of each conf and best 2 or 3. I think doing only 1, makes it pretty tough for teams to get out of the B league. 1 bad year and you could be stuck in the B league forever.

I think of those 120 there are very few who have a legit shot to every get close to a playoff spot. Why I like the idea of the A league B league idea and rotating teams in and out. Could almost rotate worst 2 or 3 teams of each conf and best 2 or 3. I think doing only 1, makes it pretty tough for teams to get out of the B league. 1 bad year and you could be stuck in the B league forever.
Pretty much. Get rid of the media and legal aspect of conferences and this would be pretty simple. You'd just realign every year based on the geography of teams who performed or didn't perform the prior year. Then again, that would likely mean that we would be in the B league this year so I don't know how much I would like that.

I don't like his idea of only 8 conf games. With 16 teams in every conf that means you wouldn't play basically half the conf every year. If the goal is to find the best in the conf and send them to the playoff this would come down to luck of the draw and who you got for your 8 conf teams. I think a ways needs to be figured out so you play every team in your conference.
I proposed awhile back of either going to 6- 14 team leagues. Play all 13 teams in your conf to determine the best of the conf. Playing every team would help guarantee the best of every conf goes to the playoff. No out of conf games. Out of conf games would be for bowl season. 6 conf winners get in and 2 at large teams.
Or go 8 conf of 10 teams each. Play 9 conf games and 3 out of conf games. Winner of conf goes to playoff. Could still do the B team rotation in both situations. I guess I don't care how it is figured conf or team wise as long as every team in the conf plays every other team.

Reactions: scarletred
Pretty much. Get rid of the media and legal aspect of conferences and this would be pretty simple. You'd just realign every year based on the geography of teams who performed or didn't perform the prior year. Then again, that would likely mean that we would be in the B league this year so I don't know how much I would like that.
Haha very true. But we would dominate it. lol

I agree.. starts getting too complicated with sub minor major blah blah.. starts to sound like a music theory class!

I do like the idea of going to 8 teams.. let the conf champions in, then 3 at large bids, or whatever it is.

Reactions: tpmcg
I ignore any conference alignment talk that begins with 4, sixteen team conferences. It assures me that what follows is nothing more than the wishful thinking of the author.

Reactions: saluno22
I saw this and had a lot of issues with it, but one of the first things I thought of with these 4 conferences with 16 teams was-who is going to put these conferences together? Is this supposed to be some top-down solution from the NCAA where they dissolve all current conferences and institute these? That would never fly. Any kind of conference realignment is going to have to be done within the confines of the current conferences. No major conference is going to agree to dissolve and have its teams be part of a top-down solution like this. I'm also not hot on the promotion and relegation idea. Yeah, I get that it's a common thing in European soccer leagues, but this isn't European soccer. It's a foreign concept to US sports.

Reactions: Charlie Marlow
This seems overly complicated.

Just go to an 8-team playoff. 5 automatic bids, 1 bid for the highest-ranked non P5, and 2 at-large bids.
I don't think that there needs to be an automatic bid for a non P5, but if they're undefeated and in the top 12, they better be getting into a 8 team playoff.

ADVERTISEMENT