ADVERTISEMENT

Severe is tweeting that there is a rumor

That sucks, if true, our guys have been through too much turnover and instability.

EDIT: I just went on his twitter and don't see anything.

Last edited:
as long as its not a coordinator or our S&C staff, we should be o.k. Having a successful staff is going to lead to coaches moving up by moving on. If at the end of HCSF's career, he has a coaching tree on the level of a Hayden Fry, we will have had a good run.

The only ones I could see leaving are Fisher or Beckton, as they've spent their whole careers in Florida and were there before Frost came in. Most of the others are Midwestern guys or had previous ties to Nebraska or Frost before UCF. Those who've been in Florida their whole lives might not like it here or like all the traveling required for recruiting. Beckton would hurt because he's a big reason for our recruiting success in Georgia.

as long as its not a coordinator or our S&C staff, we should be o.k. Having a successful staff is going to lead to coaches moving up by moving on. If at the end of HCSF's career, he has a coaching tree on the level of a Hayden Fry, we will have had a good run.

Ya Devaney coaching tree sucked!

Held is one I'd hate to lose, Austin is another. You've seen the immediate impact of their coaching and recruiting on their position groups. The CB play improved dramatically, but there isn't a marquee CB signing nor does one appear to be coming. Safety recruiting looks good.

WR recruiting was very good this year, their on-field impact was just ok. Nobody showed me much who hadn't already broken out under Williams.

If the staff is successful, guys are going to get offers to move up. The hardest ones to keep will be the best recruiters.

Last edited:
Held is one I'd hate to lose, Austin is another. You've seen the immediate impact of their coaching and recruiting on their position groups. The CB play improved dramatically, but there isn't a marquee CB signing nor does one appear to be coming. Safety recruiting looks good.

If the staff is successful, guys are going to get offers to move up. The hardest ones to keep will be the best recruiters.
Those guys are both Huskers, so I would think it would take alot for either to leave.

Held applied for the McNeese State job. I don't think he was considered. Very rare for a position coach to get a D-I head coaching job without being a coordinator first.
True. I can't think of many, and the one Husker coach I can think of who has done this is Tony Samuel going from DE coach at NU to head coach at New Mexico State.

1982–1983: Western Michigan (DL)
1984–1985: Stanford (DL)
1986–1996: Nebraska (DE/OLB)
1997–2004: New Mexico State
2005: Purdue (DE)
2006–2013: Southeast Missouri State
2014: Georgia State (OLB)
2015: Georgia State (DL)
2016-present: UNLV (DL)

EDIT: Got intrigued by the mid-90s coaching staff. Kevin Steele was also never a coordinator before becoming head coach at Baylor...

1980: Tennessee (SA)
1980–1981: Tennessee (GA)
1982: Tennessee (OLB)
1983: New Mexico State (LB)
1984–1986: Oklahoma State (LB/TE)
1987–1988: Tennessee (DB)
1989–1994: Nebraska (LB)
1995–1998: Carolina Panthers (LB)
1999–2002: Baylor
2003–2006: Florida State (LB)
2007: Alabama (DC)
2008: Alabama (DHC/ILB)
2009–2011: Clemson (DC/LB)
2013: Alabama (Director Player Personnel)
2014: Alabama (LB)
2015: LSU (DC/LB)
2016–present: Auburn (DC)

Turner Gill was also never a coordinator before becoming head coach at Buffalo (but was "Associate Head Coach" at NU in 2003)...

1989: Nebraska (GA)
1990: North Texas (GA)
1991: SMU (WR)
1992–2002: Nebraska (QB)
2003: Nebraska (AHC)
2004: Nebraska (WR)
2006–2009: Buffalo
2010–2011: Kansas
2012–2018: Liberty

Frank Solich was never a coordinator before becoming head coach at NU...

1966–1967: Omaha (NE) Holy Name HS
1968–1978: Lincoln (NE) Southeast HS
1979–1982: Nebraska (freshmen)
1983–1997: Nebraska (RB)
1998–2003: Nebraska
2005–present: Ohio

Last edited:
Reactions: SOHusker11
I don't see why Walters would leave, unless he wants to be able to call plays somewhere. He's making $700k/year to coach wide receivers. Seems like a great job.

If he does, then I imagine Frost would promote Held to the O.C. title and Ron Brown to WR coach.

Reactions: Black5hirt
I don't see why Walters would leave, unless he wants to be able to call plays somewhere. He's making $700k/year to coach wide receivers. Seems like a great job.

If he does, then I imagine Frost would promote Held to the O.C. title and Ron Brown to WR coach.
Ron Brown will not be an assistant from everything I've heard.

Reactions: Bold Words
If this has legs, that would be my guess too. He was pretty nonexistent on the recruiting trail the last month or so.
No he wasn't, he just doesn't do much social media and avoids pictures. People said the same thing about him last year.

Reactions: TwinsRRUs
No he wasn't, he just doesn't do much social media and avoids pictures. People said the same thing about him last year.
You may be correct. But last year he landed guys like Cam Jones and EJ Smith late. This year we stuck out late on guys like Wallace, Mayo, etc, could just be coincidence, win some lose some. I hope he sticks around, as I think he did a great job with our DB's and we have had too much turnover there.

Reactions: chopter
Agreed. Walters
He interviewed for the Rice HC and the UCF HC last year, so he would obviously move on for a head coaching gig, but there aren't really any of those out there right now. Would he leave for another OC gig where he calls the plays? And what big time OC gigs are vacant? Tennessee?

You may be correct. But last year he landed guys like Cam Jones and EJ Smith late. This year we stuck out late on guys like Wallace, Mayo, etc, could just be coincidence, win some lose some. I hope he sticks around, as I think he did a great job with our DB's and we have had too much turnover there.
I think it was a coincidence. I mean I have no idea if any assistant coach is moving on. With Nebraska going through 6 DB coaches the past 5 years, smart money would be on Fisher, but I really think he did a nice job in recruiting this year. He recruited to what they want as a fit, long athletic guys..Newsome, Farmer and Wright. Still a possibility with Gates. I really just think he doesn't care for the social media fervor.

Reactions: headcard
Said this the other day myself... Walters would be my guess, he needs to start calling plays somewhere if he's ever gonna get a head job.

Said this the other day myself... Walters would be my guess, he needs to start calling plays somewhere if he's ever gonna get a head job.
Needs to get a gig calling plays, so he can then get a gig where he doesn't have to call plays anymore.

If it is Walters...and its for a HC job...does he try and take some of our assistants?

2 things. Does he really need to get an OC job where he calls the plays for a HC job? A lot of HCs let their coordinators call the plays. And why couldn’t he take a lower level HC job to prove himself as opposed to jumping right into P5?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT