ADVERTISEMENT

Seriously ND?

TheHuskeRed

Sophomore
Dec 9, 2006
Per ESPN … Purdue's band to be without World's Largest Drum vs. Notre Dame, first time since 1979

The World's Largest Drum is officially too big for Notre Dame Stadium, Purdue said on Friday.

As a result, Purdue's All-American Band will play its first halftime performance without its giant bass drum for the first time since 1979. “According to a communication from the University of Notre Dame, our Band will not be permitted to take the World's Largest Drum through their tunnel and onto the football field for this Saturday's game," said Aaron Yoder, a spokesman for the university's bands and orchestras. "Notre Dame Athletics has restricted use of their main tunnel to their own football team and band, which is the only entrance large enough for the Drum. We have been told that visiting teams and bands have to use a separate tunnel that is much smaller. Our Drum is about 10 feet tall on its carriage and 565 pounds so it doesn't even come close to fitting in this other tunnel."

AZZ6iH.gif

Per ESPN … Purdue's band to be without World's Largest Drum vs. Notre Dame, first time since 1979

The World's Largest Drum is officially too big for Notre Dame Stadium, Purdue said on Friday.

As a result, Purdue's All-American Band will play its first halftime performance without its giant bass drum for the first time since 1979. “According to a communication from the University of Notre Dame, our Band will not be permitted to take the World's Largest Drum through their tunnel and onto the football field for this Saturday's game," said Aaron Yoder, a spokesman for the university's bands and orchestras. "Notre Dame Athletics has restricted use of their main tunnel to their own football team and band, which is the only entrance large enough for the Drum. We have been told that visiting teams and bands have to use a separate tunnel that is much smaller. Our Drum is about 10 feet tall on its carriage and 565 pounds so it doesn't even come close to fitting in this other tunnel."
Yeah, I was there for the game we turned Notre Dame Stadium red. I recall the stadium seeming to really show its age. They built an addition that partially obscured Touchdown Jesus, but didn't do much else with the infrastructure as far as I could tell. Figures only one of the tunnels to the field is over 10 feet. The rest must be tunnels that feel like catacombs. Same with the Rose Bowl, all those weird tunnels leading into the stadium.

pure-don't can't bring their big drum? Now there's no reason to watch the game.

Last edited:
Yeah, I was there for the game we turned Notre Dame Stadium red. I recall the stadium seeming to really show its age. They built an addition that partially obscured Touchdown Jesus, but didn't do much else with the infrastructure as far as I could tell. Figures only one of the tunnels to the field is over 10 feet. The rest must be tunnels that feel like catacombs. Same with the Rose Bowl, all those weird tunnels leading into the stadium.
Um….did you read the original article? The entire stadium was renovated in 2017.
The problem is the visitors tunnel is not large enough. The stadium itself is now world class.

• Haha
Reactions: nemeth#5 and WHCSC
I just hate Notre Dame.
I dislike nd a lil bit because they can't forgive michigan, and join the big 10.
which would make the most sense for everyone.
other then that I'm not sure why I should dislike them, holtz always had good things to say bout NU
and we won the last time we played them.......so just that michigan thing ...

nd hate and ncaa hate eludes me....for some reason people hate both but can't articulate why...hmmm

Should I not comment on ND because that is what they want? I'm not trying to tell ND what to do. I'm just commenting on a Nebraska board that I think they are lame and petty. Just talk.
Don't take it wrong, you can do what you want. In fact, I didn't even reply to you until you replied to me.

I am simply saying that the reaction is exactly what ND wanted. ESPN is writing a story, and if the Nebraska board is talking about it, I can only assume the Purdue board is blowing up that there big ass drum won't be on the field.

I just think it is funny that people are getting worked up about a drum. Even if it is the world's largest drum.

Should I not comment on ND because that is what they want? I'm not trying to tell ND what to do. I'm just commenting on a Nebraska board that I think they are lame and petty. Just talk.
Guys, guys, guys. I was just pointing out a silly thing for any university team to do. Their stupid drum has been used for 42 straight years and for whatever reason, a tradition rich university feels compelled to deny another team their tradition. Lame and petty? Indeed.

Nebraska fans have forgotten what Rivalries are..... this was a no brainer by ND.

Nebraska fans.... you remember that 'rivalry' you had with Texas? Just imagine Nebraska admins allowing Bevo to run right out through your holy tunnel? You wouldnt be happy!

Um….did you read the original article? The entire stadium was renovated in 2017.
The problem is the visitors tunnel is not large enough. The stadium itself is now world class.
Ah, world class stadium but walkways built for your leprechaun mascot

Yes we turned the stadium red. But, do you remember that they forbid us from bringing Lil Red. They stated as a Catholic institution it was against their beliefs to allow a hermaphrodite to enter the stadium. So this isn’t new!

Purdue and Notre Dame have played 84 times.

I assume Purdue didn't have their big drum in 2012 the last time they played at Notre Dame?

Iowa paints the visitors locker room pink. It’s NDs prerogative to make the band go through the visitors tunnel like all other teams.

Yes we turned the stadium red. But, do you remember that they forbid us from bringing Lil Red. They stated as a Catholic institution it was against their beliefs to allow a hermaphrodite to enter the stadium. So this isn’t new!
Whoa, now. How did ND determine that Lil Red has both male and female parts?

Welp, in 2011 Lil Red was technically a juvenile at 18 YO - Nebraska State law dictates age of content is 19 YO. Back in 2001, he was an 8 YO.

Do they make mascot physicals mandatory? Was Larry Nassar involved? How many mascots met a wet fate at PSU? Did Larry TCG feed Eric Crouch a ham sandwich? Is Lil Red part Irish... on his mom's side? Is this "The Luck of the Irish"?

Last edited:
Well if denying a program having their drum on the field during pre-game and half time doesn’t fire up a team to beat the snot out of an opponent I don’t know what will.

If ND manages a win Kelly better not tell any post-game drum jokes.

No, I didn't read the article. Nebraska has a policy (I think) about what kinds of mascots can come into Memorial Stadium. Hooved animals like buffalos and longhorns can't come due to turf concerns. I would hope if Purdue wanted to bring their drum to Nebraska, the athletic department would accommodate them.

Notre Dame Stadium may very well be "world class" now and I'd love to see it if we played another game there. But that isn't the point. The point is not letting the Boilermakers bring in their drum when there is a means to do it smacks of being petty.

Don't take it wrong, you can do what you want. In fact, I didn't even reply to you until you replied to me.

I am simply saying that the reaction is exactly what ND wanted. ESPN is writing a story, and if the Nebraska board is talking about it, I can only assume the Purdue board is blowing up that there big ass drum won't be on the field.

I just think it is funny that people are getting worked up about a drum. Even if it is the world's largest drum.
I'm guessing a blowup on the Purdue board is six, maybe seven people. That includes the spammy weirdos with links to paintshop helmets and selling free weights.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT