ADVERTISEMENT

Seniors returning

I will chime in

Iowa was pretty split with who was leaving and coming back. The two biggest "stays" were VanValkenberg at DE and Lindenbaum at Center. Can't believe that Lendenbaum is coming back as a lot of people had him fairly high on draft boards.

Gone:
Smith_marsette WR
Smith WR
Sargent RB

I will chime in

Iowa was pretty split with who was leaving and coming back. The two biggest "stays" were VanValkenberg at DE and Lindenbaum at Center. Can't believe that Lendenbaum is coming back as a lot of people had him fairly high on draft boards.

Gone:
Smith_marsette WR
Smith WR
Sargent RB
Linderbaum has been here only three years, so despite his already impressive college resume, he's still not tired of Iowa City (even if I am).

Jackson also left, but that was expected, as did Nixon, also expected. Those are two pretty stellar players, but if Iowa does anything well, it replaces NFL draft picks with solid players who are good fits in their system.

Most all will leave if they have bucks ahead for next year .
Those that come back for the most part checked the waters and if the money was there , they left. If not they come bakc
Simple really with few exceptions

Most all will leave if they have bucks ahead for next year .
Those that come back for the most part checked the waters and if the money was there , they left. If not they come bakc
Simple really with few exceptions
Is that a botched haiku?

If not, here is one option available for help:

Last edited:
Linderbaum has been here only three years, so despite his already impressive college resume, he's still not tired of Iowa City (even if I am).

Jackson also left, but that was expected, as did Nixon, also expected. Those are two pretty stellar players, but if Iowa does anything well, it replaces NFL draft picks with solid players who are good fits in their system.

Update: CB Hankins coming back- surprised a little; thought he would be gone. Good addition to what I thought the DB room would be.

Reactions: 9and4
This season wasn't a success on the field, but it has likely solved NU's youth problem. This was a very small senior class and that shouldn't happen again with the way they've been working the numbers.

It's pretty wild in retrospect to look at how few impact seniors we were talking about having back. Was it even double digits? And that's with multiple guys having transferred in.

You can't stress experience and physical maturity enough at some positions, especially OL, DL, LB. It's clear they needed a mulligan year at RB as well. I just don't know about that room right now.

With RB I keep thinking about how Benning always likes to say "If you don't bark as a pup, you won't bite as a dog." As a dog trainer that's not accurate but I get what he means. If you're that good, it shows pretty early.

We have zero RBs on the roster who have gone into a game and made me go, "Wow, this dude can play."

Update: CB Hankins coming back- surprised a little; thought he would be gone. Good addition to what I thought the DB room would be.
All five DBs returning, so Hawks' back seven should be stellar. And they always seem to find good DL, with Van Valkenburg as the leader next year. Should be another salty D.

All five DBs returning, so Hawks' back seven should be stellar. And they always seem to find good DL, with Van Valkenburg as the leader next year. Should be another salty D.

Yeah back 7 should be really good. Not sold yet on Shannon and that they will be able to replace Nixon even with a rotation.

Now that the dust has settled and we know who is coming back, how is the rest of the B10 looking. Are most of Wisconsin’s, Minnesota’s, Iowa’s and Northwestern’s seniors coming back?

I think Oklahoma is decimated by NFL draft declarations, transfers to other schools, and sr.s not returning. I think only 1 sr. is returning that wasn't nfl draft material.

Although, they had a lot of starters that weren't sr. or nfl draft material nd returning.

This season wasn't a success on the field, but it has likely solved NU's youth problem. This was a very small senior class and that shouldn't happen again with the way they've been working the numbers.

It's pretty wild in retrospect to look at how few impact seniors we were talking about having back. Was it even double digits? And that's with multiple guys having transferred in.

You can't stress experience and physical maturity enough at some positions, especially OL, DL, LB. It's clear they needed a mulligan year at RB as well. I just don't know about that room right now.

With RB I keep thinking about how Benning always likes to say "If you don't bark as a pup, you won't bite as a dog." As a dog trainer that's not accurate but I get what he means. If you're that good, it shows pretty early.

We have zero RBs on the roster who have gone into a game and made me go, "Wow, this dude can play."
We saw some of Rahmir (meh), more of Scott (ok for a true frosh, not exciting), very little of Thompkins (5/22 against tOSU, then milk carton), nothing of Morrison. The transfer from USC runs pretty damn hard. And then there is the new guy. Described in the clip as a North/South runner. I have to think that between the first four and the two new guys, we can get a couple of guys that can play.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT