ADVERTISEMENT

Sellout streak

Riled Up

Walk On
Oct 13, 2019
With the way things are going, how much longer do you see it continuing? If we start the season showing little to no improvement I could see it ending fast.

• Haha
Reactions: Cornfield
I think some people don't really understand that going to the game, for a lot of fans, is a custom. They have been going for years, it is their hobby, just like some people go hunting or collect baseball cards or whatever.

They spend thousands on tailgating and invest their time as a way to be with friends and family, old and young.

Very few people are going to the game and are only concerned about the score.

I think some people don't really understand that going to the game, for a lot of fans, is a custom. They have been going for years, it is their hobby, just like some people go hunting or collect baseball cards or whatever.

They spend thousands on tailgating and invest their time as a way to be with friends and family, old and young.

Very few people are going to the game and are only concerned about the score.
I'm one of the few and haven't been very happy for many years 😬

I don't know if the sellout streak is going to end, but I'm pretty certain the demand for tickets is significantly less than it used to be - I'll give you an anecdotal example: the company I work for has always bought a big block of tickets - it used to be very rare that you would be one of the lucky employees who was offered a free ticket; the last few years, I could have gone to one or two games a year - for free - if I hadn't turned the tickets down.

The streak will not end this year. Mainly because I highly doubt that the B1G will allow full capacity attendance this Fall if Covid is still an issue, which I think it will be. But one more losing season this Fall with Frost still being retained as head coach and I think the streak will officially end in 2022. I know... there are those who claim the streak is a fiction anyway. I disagree with that view, but it has been debated enough on here and no need to rehash all of the old arguments. But if we have another shit season this Fall, by 2022 the debate will be settled. The streak will be officially dead.

The streak will not end this year. Mainly because I highly doubt that the B1G will allow full capacity attendance this Fall if Covid is still an issue, which I think it will be. But one more losing season this Fall with Frost still being retained as head coach and I think the streak will officially end in 2022. I know... there are those who claim the streak is a fiction anyway. I disagree with that view, but it has been debated enough on here and no need to rehash all of the old arguments. But if we have another shit season this Fall, by 2022 the debate will be settled. The streak will be officially dead.

Warren better not pull that crap again next fall Covid or no Covid ... Everyone in the SEC, Big12 and ACC are planning on have full stadiums next fall no reason why memorial stadium can’t be either..

Warren better not pull that crap again next fall Covid or no Covid ... Everyone in the SEC, Big12 and ACC are planning on have full stadiums next fall no reason why memorial stadium can’t be either..
Really? Full stadiums? Even in States that have severe restrictions in place and probably still will? I hope so. That would be awesome

No it won't. Go outside and cheer up

Ill take it to. If were better u stop trolling and go away and if not the sellout streak ends. Ill put in a call to the football gods and tell them its over pull the plug.
If we don’t make a bowl game I want a written apology

I want a winning lottery ticket. But thats not gonna happen either.

Winking

500_F_260915741_DQU3tUI2K6lZqNLbgzN6TSKLFxQnVVlY.jpg

I think it will start with the students. Eventually, like at a lot of schools, the pre-game party turns into "We should just stay here and keep partying." instead of going into the game. Fast forward that a few years and those grads are also not going to the game but just tailgating.

I think it will start with the students. Eventually, like at a lot of schools, the pre-game party turns into "We should just stay here and keep partying." instead of going into the game. Fast forward that a few years and those grads are also not going to the game but just tailgating.
I think that is already taking place.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
So when the season starts and there is improvement will you go away OP?

in 2017 a failed coach was replaced on the heels of a 3 win - 5th place divisional conference campaign

since this time the high water mark for the current staff heading into year 4 remains 3 conference wins and a 5th place finish in a terrible division

so I ask .... how in the world has there been no improvement to date when the bar was set so low and how can expectations remain so uninspired that simple improvement will be lauded

neb could have hired the staff at Ogallala for a 100k and gotten the same results

and as we see above - JohnRossEwing and "fans" of his ilk would still be happy as a clam as long as they have a meeting place to imbibe in some jolly good fun while watching their team continue to embarrass ... that sweet four bagger in the rousing pregame cornhole contest will be continue to be lauded for years to come despite the team getting their teeth kicked in by Illinois

in 2017 a failed coach was replaced on the heels of a 3 win - 5th place divisional conference campaign

since this time the high water mark for the current staff heading into year 4 remains 3 conference wins and a 5th place finish in a terrible division

so I ask .... how in the world has there been no improvement to date when the bar was set so low and how can expectations remain so uninspired that simple improvement will be lauded

neb could have hired the staff at Ogallala for a 100k and gotten the same results

and as we see above - JohnRossEwing and "fans" of his ilk would still be happy as a clam as long as they have a meeting place to imbibe in some jolly good fun while watching their team continue to embarrass ... that sweet four bagger in the rousing pregame cornhole contest will be continue to be lauded for years to come despite the team getting their teeth kicked in by Illinois
Yeah, I am one of those weirdos that likes to hang out with my friends and have fun.

I always laugh when you get dorky posters, like yourself, that are like "I have found better ways to spend my Saturday" and then you list off some stupid shit like "I did yard work" or "I took a walk" or "I started a home project"

Why can't you do that on Sunday...or after the game?

You get 12-13 of these each season. Time to hang out with friends, talk about life, bring up old stories from years past.

Why would what a team does embarrass me? Such an odd way of thinking.

Look at yourself for example, you are on this site, of a team you are not a fan of, posting ALL THE TIME. My god, that is amazing.

What would a fan have to do to show you that his expectations are absolutely not being met? Would I have to live on this site all the livelong day, every single day, and post the same whiny, repetitive, pants-pissing rants over and over and over and over again?

Reactions: scarletred
Look at yourself for example, you are on this site, of a team you are not a fan of, posting ALL THE TIME. My god, that is amazing.

you have over 10,000 posts and average more posts per year on here than I do .... RollingLaugh

No. Start putting a really good team on the field and people will return. There are very few status activities in NE, but good Nebraska football qualifies. Winning will cure what ills us.

Reactions: JohnRossEwing
Yeah, I am one of those weirdos that likes to hang out with my friends and have fun.

I always laugh when you get dorky posters, like yourself, that are like "I have found better ways to spend my Saturday" and then you list off some stupid shit like "I did yard work" or "I took a walk" or "I started a home project"

You get 12-13 of these each season. Time to hang out with friends, talk about life, bring up old stories from years past.

I see both sides. I do believe a bit of fan base apathy has set in. Fans want to success but right now the bar is lowered. I would probably stop watching altogether if the program remains in it’s current state for a couple of more years.

That said, hanging out at the tailgates or just going to a watch site is sometimes more fun than watching the game in person. Beer is available, you can see replays, bathrooms are more readily available.

The one thing that Nebraskans could always hang their hat on was the fact that we had a very good football team. When you live out of state or are on trips and wearing a Nebraska shirt people would approach you because that was the state’s identity. That has been replaced with people approaching and asking when will it go back to that and why is the program in the current state. Some people sort of self identify with the football team, so when the football team sucks, they aren’t as outspoken and probably a bit embarrassed by current status. So, like I said, a little more hesitant to talk about the team. When I was younger and lived in the state, I was like that too. Now that I am older and have been away from the state for 30 years, I am less invested than I was then.

just my view from my porch, coffee in hand, on a beautiful sunny morning, temps in the upper 60’s with a slight south breeze.

I see both sides. I do believe a bit of fan base apathy has set in. Fans want to success but right now the bar is lowered. I would probably stop watching altogether if the program remains in it’s current state for a couple of more years.

That said, hanging out at the tailgates or just going to a watch site is sometimes more fun than watching the game in person. Beer is available, you can see replays, bathrooms are more readily available.

The one thing that Nebraskans could always hang their hat on was the fact that we had a very good football team. When you live out of state or are on trips and wearing a Nebraska shirt people would approach you because that was the state’s identity. That has been replaced with people approaching and asking when will it go back to that and why is the program in the current state. Some people sort of self identify with the football team, so when the football team sucks, they aren’t as outspoken and probably a bit embarrassed by current status. So, like I said, a little more hesitant to talk about the team. When I was younger and lived in the state, I was like that too. Now that I am older and have been away from the state for 30 years, I am less invested than I was then.

just my view from my porch, coffee in hand, on a beautiful sunny morning, temps in the upper 60’s with a slight south breeze.
Oh for sure! I totally agree, I am just saying that for most fans the game is reason for the gathering with friends and family.

We all want them to win, there is no doubt about that, but I, and most of us, don't look at the team like we would a an appliance or car. If I bought an appliance and it sucked, I would not buy that brand again.

But, I also don't have a dozen friends coming over every Saturday to watch my dishwasher.

So I started this beautiful Sunday on my porch with a cup of coffee. Ending it in similar fashion with a cold beer on the same porch, roughly the same 70 degree temp and same slight breeze off the Gulf of Mexico, watching the sun set with my pups and some Pearl Jam. I could think of a million worse ways to end a weekend but very few better ways.
Peace to you all. Even the Salts brothers. 😉

The sellout streak likely died sometime during Riley's tenure - the true sellout streak that is (i.e., fans buying individual tickets). We live in a world of lies and deceit, so it shouldn't surprise anyone that the current "sellout streak" is artificial and only kept alive for appearances.

Reactions: Riled Up
I’ll say this season tickets are bought and before the season starts,at times the season ticket holders don’t end up selling or don’t bother going to the game(s)..

I know you were being sarcastic, but I do think it is weird.

Why would people want to hang out with other people and listen to bs as they drink themselves into telling more bs about things that nobody cares about and so on.

As you can see, I'm not an overly social person..

I have this theory that many guys are happy enough with message boards, radio, and tv, that they really don't have to interact with anyone outside their domain, and that to me, is pretty normal.

ADVERTISEMENT