ADVERTISEMENT

Seems like many more early offers this year =agree?

Originally posted by bigboxes:
Showing interest early will lead to greater chances at signing these young men later on. Go HCMR!
Back in the 70's I read "How to Pick Up Women" by Eric Weber. Lots of good stuff there, but the overall theme was you don't make sales unless you make the calls. Lets hope HCMR's early calls lead to some good sales.

I don't know the actual numbers to compare but it seemed to me that the old staff was on fire VERY EARLY in the recruiting cycle last year. At the start we actually had more highly rated recruits early last year than the rest of the B1G. I remember posters really bragging it up. There were a LOT of offers out early.

The problem was that eventually the commitments slacked off even though we had so many offers out and then the rest of the B1G caught up and raced past us.

So I'd say that no, the new staff probably does not have more offers out at the point. But that doesn't really matter all that much. What matters is how many offers to highly rated recruits are converted into commitments and how sustained over time that conversion process is going to be.

I agree with Redcap here. The problem with the old staff wasn't so much getting early offers out there or even early commits. The big problem in recruiting with the old staff is they just seemed to give up on their recruiting duties the minute fall practice started. Let's see how MR & co handles the pressure of coaching actual football games @ NU and being able to still recruit. He hasn't had to juggle the 2 yet.

Bo & Co had 2 modes. Offer early or offer late. They just didn't do a ton of offers during the Fall.

Originally posted by spinner4:
I agree with Redcap here. The problem with the old staff wasn't so much getting early offers out there or even early commits. The big problem in recruiting with the old staff is they just seemed to give up on their recruiting duties the minute fall practice started. Let's see how MR & co handles the pressure of coaching actual football games @ NU and being able to still recruit. He hasn't had to juggle the 2 yet.

Bo & Co had 2 modes. Offer early or offer late. They just didn't do a ton of offers during the Fall.
This. They'd jump out to a great start, but there would always seem to be some kind of lull where they sat back and called it good enough. Then the recruits, who are used to CONSTANT contact and attention (and were getting it from other schools) were sitting there wondering why NU didn't care about them any more.

Bo wasn't a recruiter. He hated what the realities of recruiting have become, and it showed. I hate them, too, but they're not going to change. It's like working for UPS and hating the color brown. Guess what, dude? That's how it is here, and if you keep trying to fight that and change that, it's gonna turn out poorly for you.

With HCMR, who knows if he likes how kids are now with a phone grafted to their hand every waking hour (and most sleeping hours, too). But he obviously accepts that's the reality and isn't trying to fight the current. He uses it to his advantage.

ADVERTISEMENT