ADVERTISEMENT

Seed Possibilities (Updated 10:00 p.m. Friday)

coolonetoo

Junior
May 12, 2003
According to my calculations, Nebraska can be seeded as high as #1 or as low as #7 at the Big Ten tournament next week. Here are the possibilities with each number of wins vs. Purdue (assuming no weather cancellations):

3 WINS - Seeded 1-5. Can reach #1 if Maryland and Indiana both get swept, Iowa loses 2 or more and Michigan and Rutgers combine for 5 or fewer wins. Will be #5 only if Maryland and Indiana both win at least 1 and Iowa and Rutgers both sweep.
2 WINS - Seeded 3-6. Can reach #3 if Iowa wins 1 or fewer and Michigan and Rutgers both win 2 or fewer. Will be #6 only if Iowa wins 2 or more and Michigan and Rutgers both sweep.
1 WIN - Seeded 3-6. Can reach #3 if Iowa gets swept and Michigan and Rutgers both win 1 or fewer. Will be #6 only if Iowa wins 1 or more and Michigan and Rutgers both win 2 or more.
0 WINS - Seeded 4-7. Can reach #4 if Michigan and Rutgers both get swept and Michigan State sweeps. Will be #7 only if Michigan, Rutgers and Michigan State all win at least 1.

IMHO, the odds of finishing seeded either 1-3 or 7 are incredibly small. Neither Maryland nor Indiana is going to get swept. Iowa is going to sweep Northwestern. And I don't see Purdue sweeping Nebraska. Here's how I think it will shake out:

1. Maryland
2. Indiana
3. Iowa
4. Nebraska
5. Rutgers
6. Michigan
7. Illinois
8. Purdue

I think we're in good position to get the 4 or 5 seed and, short of the miraculous happening and finishing on top, I think it's ideal, for several reasons: 1. Win game 1 and we'd likely get another shot at Maryland, away from their bandbox ballpark, on Thursday night, with Kaminska taking the ball. 2. It would set up a potential finals matchup with Iowa (could be a soul-crusher but the flipside is pure glory.) 3. The 4/5 game at 6:00 p.m. on Tuesday or 2:00 p.m. on Wednesday is perfect. The 3/6 game at 10:00 a.m. on Tuesday is the one game all week I cannot attend and I will be a little bitter if NU ends up there!

Last edited:
It's crazy, but basically this weekend it's all the top half of the league playing on the road vs the bottom half.

#1 @ #8
#1 @ #11
#3 @ #13
#4 @ #8
#4 @ #12
#4 @ #10

(Ties obviously)
1. Indiana (39-14, 15-6) @ #8 MSU
1. Maryland (35-18, 15-6) @ #11 PSU
3. Iowa (37-12, 13-7) @ #13 NU
4. Nebraska (29-20-1, 13-8) @ #8 Pur
4. Michigan (26-23, 13-8) @ #12 tOSU
4. Rutgers (32-19, 13-8) @ #10 Minn

It's crazy, but basically this weekend it's all the top half of the league playing on the road vs the bottom half.

#1 @ #8
#1 @ #11
#3 @ #13
#4 @ #8
#4 @ #12
#4 @ #10

(Ties obviously)
1. Indiana (39-14, 15-6) @ #8 MSU
1. Maryland (35-18, 15-6) @ #11 PSU
3. Iowa (37-12, 13-7) @ #13 NU
4. Nebraska (29-20-1, 13-8) @ #8 Pur
4. Michigan (26-23, 13-8) @ #12 tOSU
4. Rutgers (32-19, 13-8) @ #10 Minn
Yep, and the team in the middle in 7th place, Illinois, is the odd team out playing a non-con series. Almost impossible but it happened.

Reactions: sklarbodds
Updated standings with two games left:

1. Maryland (16-6)
2. Indiana (15-7)
3. Iowa (14-7)
4. Nebraska (14-8)
5. Rutgers (13-9)
5. Michigan (13-9)
7. Illinois (12-12)
8. Michigan State (11-11)
9. Purdue (10-12)

Maryland can clinch the #1 seed with one more win. Nebraska can clinch no worse than the #4 seed with one more win.

My most fervent wish - We sweep Purdue and somehow Northwestern mans up, wins one game at home against Iowa. That would give us a micro percentage lead on Iowa for the 3 seed.

Sadly, this is what I'm reduced to. Wishing for someone to lose and help us. Weak. I mean, we could have won just one game at Iowa and never looked back. Oh well.

Another thing, how weird is it that all six chalk are on the road in this the last weekend?

Reactions: saluno22
Michigan's loss to Ohio State clinches no worse than the #5 seed for Nebraska. With Rutgers-Minnesota and Indiana-Michigan State still in progress, here's a summary:

If Nebraska Loses Tomorrow
-Nebraska will play in the 4/5 game.

If Nebraska and Iowa Both Win Tomorrow
-Nebraska will be the #3 seed if Indiana loses tonight and tomorrow and Rutgers wins tonight and tomorrow. Nebraska will play in the 4/5 game with any other set of results.

If Nebraska Wins and Iowa Loses Tomorrow
-Nebraska will be the #2 seed if Indiana loses tonight and tomorrow and Rutgers wins tonight and tomorrow.
-Nebraska will be the #3 see if Indiana wins tonight or tomorrow.

Reactions: saluno22 and k9_r
It's over in Minneapolis and East Lansing. With Rutgers losing again, Nebraska has clinched no worse than the #4 seed. Here's how the last day shakes out, assuming no cancellations, ties, or other weirdness:

If Nebraska Loses
-Nebraska will be the #4 seed (6:00 p.m. on Tuesday or 2:00 p.m. on Wednesday).

If Nebraska Wins
-Nebraska will be the #3 seed (10:00 a.m. on Tuesday) if Iowa loses.
-Nebraska will be the #4 seed if Iowa wins.

Updated standings and comments:

1. Maryland (16-7)
2. Indiana (15-8)
3. Iowa (14-8)
4. Nebraska (14-9)
5. Rutgers (13-10)
6. Michigan (13-10)
7. Michigan State (12-11)
8. Illinois (12-12)
9. Purdue (11-12)

-Maryland has clinched the #1 seed and at least a share of the regular season title.
-Northwestern had lost 16 straight conference games before beating Iowa today.
-Michigan State and Illinois have clinched the last two tournament berths.
-Purdue is eliminated.

I like it. We can just go bullpen tomorrow and whatever happens happens. Make sure everyone is ready to pitch Tuesday and beyond. Obviously we don’t play Brice tomorrow either way.

Reactions: coolonetoo
It appears we will be the 4 seed regardless of the results today with Iowa up 10-0 in the 8th right now. Time wise it actually works better for me to attend the game whether it is Tuesday at 6 or Wednesday at 2. Anyone else going to the game?

Iowa scored 7 in the 8th against Northwestern to go up 10-0. Nebraska is headed for the #4 seed win or lose today. Against Rutgers if scores in progress hold. That works for me.

Reactions: RobsterMobster
It appears we will be the 4 seed regardless of the results today with Iowa up 10-0 in the 8th right now. Time wise it actually works better for me to attend the game whether it is Tuesday at 6 or Wednesday at 2. Anyone else going to the game?
Same here. I would have had to miss the opener if we got the #3 seed. I’m attending all games involving Nebraska (hopefully, 4+) and perhaps some others.

How is it that a Maryland decision dictates that the 4/5 game will be either Tuesday or Wednesday?

Why does the 1 seed get to make that choice?

How is it that a Maryland decision dictates that the 4/5 game will be either Tuesday or Wednesday?

Just a new deal they did this year which I find odd. I guess I could see why Wednesday would be better if you had to use your starters longer this weekend but I’d assume any team would take Tuesday to allow for the extra day of rest for your bullpen this week. May actually be better for Nebraska to play Wednesday oddly enough.

The 1 seed gets to choose when the 1 seed’s game is. The 4/5 game is in the other slot. I suppose it’s the right thing from a purely competitive standpoint. But MECA would surely prefer Nebraska play Tuesday evening.

Just a new deal they did this year which I find odd. I guess I could see why Wednesday would be better if you had to use your starters longer this weekend but I’d assume any team would take Tuesday to allow for the extra day of rest for your bullpen this week. May actually be better for Nebraska to play Wednesday oddly enough.
Tuesday is definitely better if it’s necessary to come though the losers bracket. I think we’ve already established Nebraska needs to start 2-0 to have a chance so it’s not a huge difference. That said, I hope Maryland opts to play Wednesday. :)

Tuesday is definitely better if it’s necessary to come though the losers bracket. I think we’ve already established Nebraska needs to start 2-0 to have a chance so it’s not a huge difference. That said, I hope Maryland opts to play Wednesday. :)
I can go to either game so I’m fine either way. A night game would be much more fun for Nebraska fans though.

I think I know the answer, but can you guys confirm why single game tickets for Thursday's 6pm game are not showing on Ticketmaster?

I think I know the answer, but can you guys confirm why single game tickets for Thursday's 6pm game are not showing on Ticketmaster?
I assume the athletic department for each school gets an allotment and then it will be opened up based on what is returned? Just a guess as I usually just get the all session passes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT