ADVERTISEMENT

Season start

Husker Red 182

Walk On
Oct 28, 2019
Is it me or does it make no sense for the big ten to drag its feet in scheduling unless it does not want to have a season? To me it’s let’s start fall camp Friday and get going sept 5. Indiana is back working out. If Michigan st and Rutgers need to start a week or 2 later so be it. There are only talk of 10 games so I’m sure we can fit bye weeks and flex scheduling to accommodate an outbreak. On another note why even test assymptomatic? If someone is not sick why do they need a test to tell them they are sick. They can still do their job and the virus I believe they are saying is airborne. We got protocol in place and modifying equipment. Does my logic make sense?

The B1G said in a letter last week they will make a decision on whether fall camp will start within the next five days...which is basically early this week.

A schedule is just a schedule. It can come now or later or not at all. The Pac12 isn't any closer to having football than we are because it's public knowledge that USC and UCLA play week one.

. On another note why even test assymptomatic? If someone is not sick why do they need a test to tell them they are sick. They can still do their job and the virus I believe they are saying is airborne. We got protocol in place and modifying equipment. Does my logic make sense?

asymptomatic and presymptomatic are not the same thing

concern based on studies like the one linked that peak infectiousness occurs from day -2 to 0 from symptom development - in other words there is no way of knowing if a positive individual who is asymptomatic will remain asymptomatic or if they are going to develop symptoms (presymtomatic). Studies suggest that individuals are at peak infectiousness prior to developing symptoms.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0869-5.pdf?origin=ppub

"We observed the highest viral load in throat swabs at the time of symptom onset, and inferred that infectiousness peaked on or before symptom onset..... Disease control measures should be adjusted to account for probable substantial presymptomatic transmission."

Reactions: nu2u
Is it me or does it make no sense for the big ten to drag its feet in scheduling unless it does not want to have a season? To me it’s let’s start fall camp Friday and get going sept 5. Indiana is back working out. If Michigan st and Rutgers need to start a week or 2 later so be it. There are only talk of 10 games so I’m sure we can fit bye weeks and flex scheduling to accommodate an outbreak. On another note why even test assymptomatic? If someone is not sick why do they need a test to tell them they are sick. They can still do their job and the virus I believe they are saying is airborne. We got protocol in place and modifying equipment. Does my logic make sense?

No you don't make sense.

You question the need to test asymptomatic individuals and then close with "we got protocol and modified equipment so let's go".

If you hadn't noticed this whole summer...the conferences have been saying testing asymptomatic individuals is part of the protocol.

Essentially the time for debate was months ago. The powers that be have laid out what they were going to do in lengthy documents and how the decisions will be made. The only thing we don't have a handle on is we don't know exactly what part of the case trends that Warren feels demarcates acceptable from unacceptable.

On another note why even test assymptomatic? If someone is not sick why do they need a test to tell them they are sick. They can still do their job and the virus I believe they are saying is airborne. We got protocol in place and modifying equipment. Does my logic make sense?
irNgqF.gif

....much less spell it correctly.

Reactions: brc2
asymptomatic and presymptomatic are not the same thing

concern based on studies like the one linked that peak infectiousness occurs from day -2 to 0 from symptom development - in other words there is no way of knowing if a positive individual who is asymptomatic will remain asymptomatic or if they are going to develop symptoms (presymtomatic). Studies suggest that individuals are at peak infectiousness prior to developing symptoms.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0869-5.pdf?origin=ppub

"We observed the highest viral load in throat swabs at the time of symptom onset, and inferred that infectiousness peaked on or before symptom onset..... Disease control measures should be adjusted to account for probable substantial presymptomatic transmission."
I just think there is a big difference between testing positive and being sick with covid.

I just think there is a big difference between testing positive and being sick with covid.

You are absolutely correct ... wish there was a way to differentiate

There isn’t a way to tell if someone who tests + will develop symptoms or not - if you wait to isolate until they develop symptoms they have been infectious for several days

Last edited:
I am just ready for some husker football. I see a 6 and 4 season with high expectations for 2021
At this point, I would sign up for a 4-2 season. Six games. I'm not a fan of the idea for moving back the start of the season 2-4 weeks.

At this point, I would sign up for a 4-2 season. Six games. I'm not a fan of the idea for moving back the start of the season 2-4 weeks.

SEC has warmer weather during the fall so I can see why they could wait till the end of September but I don’t know why the B1G would wait that long..Longer the B1G waits the less amount of games they could end up playing..

Reactions: arf_man
I would love to have a season this year, but it isn’t going to happen. Baseball is a non-contact sport and look what is already happening with MLB. False positives alone will lead to cancellation of games when you are talking about testing 120 “ass”symptomatic players per game per week. When one player tests positive and lives with two more and has been participating in full contact drills with everyone in his position group, how many people would be recommended to quarantine.

Not happening this year.

If big 10 flakes out , it would be nice to see maybe some non-con games with sec. would be cool to play am and Missouri again. And of course, we want Bama and LSU.
IF the Big 10 cancels the season, and IF NU decides it doesn't want to go along, something like this is possible. The Big 12 is about to announce a 9-game conference schedule plus each school having the ability to play one non-conference game. It doesn't take much to imagine NU busing down to Lawrence, Manhattan, Ames, Norman and Stillwater. NU could end up justifying this by pointing out that Nebraska is a long way from Rutgers, Penn State and Michigan State, which have had issues that NU has not. But in the final analysis, it's hard to think that NU would buck the conference. It could lead to some real hard feelings and perhaps even some backlash. We'll see.

Missouri has a full slate of games in the SEC.

I don’t see any B1G team breaking away playing games away from the conference..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT