ADVERTISEMENT

Season for Yellow Jerseys

Native Nebraskan

Sophomore
Feb 20, 2006
At this point take back the Black Jerseys for the remainder of the season. Until the defense shows to be consistent for at least 4 to 5 games at least. Give out Yellow Jerseys because this team requires “ Baby Steps”.

The defense has improved by quite a bit.
We are starting a walk on at QB that went into camp as 3rd string.

It has been rehashed, but the most important position on the field was not solidified and we went into the first game rolling the dice with one QB. That gamble worked for a grand total of 3 quarters.

I guess I'm not seeing a huge reason to bag on the defense here. They only gave up 253 total yards and 12 first downs. That was a first half last year for Bob Debacle's defense. They got 2 turnovers, had 3 sacks and 8 TFL. The offense put them in a bad spot a few times.

Defense is looking really good, especially considering where they were last year. If people can't see that they are blind.
I CAN SEE..ITS A MIRACLE..
In all seriousness, the defense has improved. Still have an issue with a certain linebacker continually over pursuing and not playing his gap, as well as a certain CB, still looking like a deer in headlights..but reinforcements are on the way!

Reactions: SoFL Husker
Defense wasn’t the problem..Special teams were not good yesterday and give me a break you are handed the ball at the 8 yard line and you only get a FG, on one of the plays I believe Bunch chose to not hand off and ran up the middle which there was a hole.If healthy 2AM would have scored on that play..

This offense should be good enough to score a TD from 8 yards, we score 7 instead of a FG we more than likely win the game.

Why pull Blackshirts? I hardly put these two losses on the defense. The defense has only given up 648 yards of total offense in 2 games. That’s a 324 average. And they’ve only given up 187 on the ground. They have 10 sacks on the season in 2 games, and they had 14 all season long last year. The defense, especially the Dline, might be the most improved unit on the field. The secondary is still suspect, but we knew that coming into the season and even though it’s still suspect it’s much better than it was last season. The team has yielded 57 points. 24 of which have come off turnovers or special teams. So the defense has only given up 33 points in terms of actual sustained drives by the opponent. That’s 16.5 a game due to actual sustained drive. Those are not bad numbers. In fact the Defense did what they needed to, to keep us in the game yesterday. Offense coughs the ball up and just a few plays later Jackson gets an INT, and the offense does nothing with it. Cam Taylor falls on a muffed punt inside the Red Zone and the Offense can’t punch it in for 6. If we’re looking at those numbers with a 2-0 record we’re all screaming for the defense to receive their Blackshirts.

These two losses can be directly attributed to 1. Penalties. 2. Turnovers. 3. Poor Special Teams play. 4. Lack of quality depth a key positions, namely QB. The offense and defensive schemes have been called and executed well enough to win both of those games.

I CAN SEE..ITS A MIRACLE..
In all seriousness, the defense has improved. Still have an issue with a certain linebacker continually over pursuing and not playing his gap, as well as a certain CB, still looking like a deer in headlights..but reinforcements are on the way!

I don't know what LB your talking about, but Honas was a little too aggressive on their first rushing TD (right after Mo Barry got tossed for targeting) and took a bad angle to where he could only get his arm on the runner. After that though, he was playing really well on filling his gap and making hard form tackles. All these guys (offense and defense) are inexperienced in these systems, they need game time to get that experience which will lead to faster, smarter play.

This offense should be good enough to score a TD from 8 yards, we score 7 instead of a FG we more than likely win the game.

I want to know what the hell happened to the offensive line? Where are the guys that were mauling CU in the first half last week? Talk about a regression. They looked more like last year’s Oline than what they did last week. They just got their butts kicked yesterday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT