ADVERTISEMENT

Season expectations?

Martinez staying healthy is directly tied to him not having the most carries on the damn football team for the 3rd time in 4 years.

In 2018 QBs accounted for 35% of the rushing attempts. RBs 61% and others 4%
In 2019 QBs accounted for 37% of the rushing attempts. RBs 44% and others 19% - skewed because of Wandale Robinson's rushing attempts and not knowing how many of the rushing attempts he was lined up as a RB.
In 2020 QBs accounted for 45% of the rushing attempts. RBs 36% and others 19% - again skewed because of Wandale Robinson.
Looking at those stats tells me how piss poor Frost has been. If we can't run the damn ball with all those scholarship backs fire Held mid-season!

This is what I "thought" was going on.

The play called by Frost or whomever, can be run to either side, it is not necessarily formation specific. The QB is reading the end or OLB on any zone reads and the WR's are reading the DB's coverage as is the QB. With each play, that is an RPO which I assume are quite a few - your take is that is predetermined?

I tend to think there is a lot more "reading" and adjusting going on. The WR sees the opportunity for an option route and the QB has to make the same read to be on the same page. That might account for some of the confusion at times.

If the QB is not allowed to change plays, I am confused as to why he is not. Even HS kids have this ability.

This is what I "thought" was going on.

The play called by Frost or whomever, can be run to either side, it is not necessarily formation specific. The QB is reading the end or OLB on any zone reads and the WR's are reading the DB's coverage as is the QB. With each play, that is an RPO which I assume are quite a few - your take is that is predetermined?

I tend to think there is a lot more "reading" and adjusting going on. The WR sees the opportunity for an option route and the QB has to make the same read to be on the same page. That might account for some of the confusion at times.

If the QB is not allowed to change plays, I am confused as to why he is not. Even HS kids have this ability.
if you're right and the bulk of plays are reads, Adrian Martinez is even worse than I thought.

I really don't think this is the case, however. sure, we run some RPO/read option, but I would bet 60%+ of the plays we run are called by Frost and the 'reads' are predetermined. the rest of the action is window dressing, with Lubick observing the defense's reaction from above.

why? well, your guess is probably as good as mine (Frost's ego). also, though, having eyes in the booth/on the sideline evaluating the defense's alignment at the time of the first feigned snap should give a play caller a pretty big advantage with ~15 seconds on the play clock to set his team up for success. it's 9/10 of the point of running an up-tempo offense.

somehow, we remain insanely predictable.

Last edited:
if you're right and the bulk of plays are reads, Adrian Martinez is even worse than I thought.

I really don't think this is the case, however. sure, we run some RPO/read option, but I would bet 60%+ of the plays we run are called by Frost and the 'reads' are predetermined. the rest of the action is window dressing, with Lubick observing the defense's reaction from above.

why? well, your guess is probably as good as mine (Frost's ego). also, though, having eyes in the booth/on the sideline evaluating the defense's alignment at the time of the first feigned snap should give a play caller a pretty big advantage with ~15 seconds on the play clock to set his team up for success. it's 9/10 of the point of running an up-tempo offense.

somehow, we remain insanely predictable.
This is nothing new, as I have said it before but I am convinced that Adrian doesn't see and read the field well. Be that in the passing or running game. Some have it naturally, others will never learn it. Similar to throwing a player open, few can see it.

How sad is it to say in year four that our O is still a work in progress? That should tell us all something.
When you read that out loud it’s really sobering. IMO if you predict anything better than 6-6 you have your husker colored glasses on sipping the koolaid.

don’t act like we don’t already know we’re going to be -3 in turnover margins in Champaign and that game is going to be a self induced nail biter. Or blowout like last season.

Reactions: B1G RED RULES
You are talking about winning 6 games.

If Nebraska stops beating Nebraska we would have won the west last year. Yes last year. The teams we lost to , outside of OSU, are no more talented or better then Nebraska. They played better fundamental football. ST's lost us 2 games probably. Turnovers and penalties lost of most of the rest with ST's.

We will be 7-5 or better
If its and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have one hell of a Christmas.

• Haha
Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Are we drinking the kool-aid yet? It's inevitable it seems that every year half the posters think the team will blow away all expectations and win 9 or 10 games (or more). I don't see it happening, personally. I'd be content with 6 wins and a bowl invite, but 4 or 5 wins wouldn't surprise me either.

What say you?
Well, after the first game I'd say that 4 wins seems very likely.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT