ADVERTISEMENT

Screen pass success/failure rate...

NebChicago

Senior
Oct 14, 2009
Any wonky fans have a breakdown of how many screen pass attempts we had vs successful screen completions. I know this is a wrinkle we were all pining for in previous years. But we kind ran it badly yesterday from my memory. Wondering if Tommy is too short to run the screen pass ?

The threat of the screen pass was directly responsible for a TD and at least one other long gain. The screen game is a work in process and a tough play to master. When ran correctly, it can be dangerous. It takes time though.

Reactions: HuskerTimOmaha
The threat of the screen pass was directly responsible for a TD and at least one other long gain. The screen game is a work in process and a tough play to master. When ran correctly, it can be dangerous. It takes time though.
And a line that can get their asses in position.

And a line that can get their asses in position.

I agree. Im not sure our line is very athletic and IMO, you need some athletic big guys to run a consistent screen game.

Any wonky fans have a breakdown of how many screen pass attempts we had vs successful screen completions.

Are you talking screens to our RB's, or do swings/bubbles including WR's work? Regardless.....

WR screen
1st attempt, completion to Westerkamp for 14 yards (TD)
2nd attempt, completion to Reilly for 12 yards
3rd attempt, completion to Reilly for 5 yards

WR swing/bubble
1st attempt, completion to Moore for 7 yards
2nd attempt, incomplete to Turner
3rd attempt, completion to Moore for 22 yards (TD)
4th attempt, incomplete to Moore

RB screen
1st attempt, incomplete to Newby
2nd attempt, complete to Wilbon for 11 yards (called back, illegal formation)
3rd attempt, incomplete to Newby
4th attempt, complete to Wilbon for 13 yards
5th attempt, incomplete to Wilbon

RB swing
1st attempt, completion to Wilbon for 14 yards

As @kaz36 mentioned, although it set up like a RB swing, that is exactly what played a huge part in Trey Foster's TD reception. #41 for BYU recognized Newby on the swing to the short side and Foster had a delayed release. Beautiful set up and play call.

DVR stopped late in the game so anything from around the 6-ish minute mark isn't included. :(

Last edited:
Are you talking screens to our RB's, or do swings/bubbles including WR's work? Regardless.....

WR screen
1st attempt, completion to Westerkamp for 14 yards (TD)
2nd attempt, completion to Reilly for 12 yards
3rd attempt, completion to Reilly for 5 yards

WR swing/bubble
1st attempt, completion to Moore for 7 yards
2nd attempt, incomplete to Turner
3rd attempt, completion to Moore for 22 yards (TD)
4th attempt, incomplete to Moore

RB screen
1st attempt, incomplete to Newby
2nd attempt, complete to Wilbon for 11 yards (called back, illegal formation)
3rd attempt, incomplete to Newby
4th attempt, complete to Wilbon for 13 yards
5th attempt, incomplete to Wilbon

RB swing
1st attempt, completion to Wilbon for 14 yards

As @kaz36 mentioned, although it set up like a RB swing, that is exactly what played a huge part in Trey Foster's TD reception. #41 for BYU recognized Newby on the swing to the short side and Foster had a delayed release. Beautiful set up and play call.

DVR stopped late in the game so anything from around the 6-ish minute mark isn't included. :(
Not to mention the pump and go on the lasy drive that should have sealed it. So close.

Any wonky fans have a breakdown of how many screen pass attempts we had vs successful screen completions. I know this is a wrinkle we were all pining for in previous years. But we kind ran it badly yesterday from my memory. Wondering if Tommy is too short to run the screen pass ?
And what about all the passes to the tight ends we are suppose to have now ?

Did you not watch the game to see how many targets were to the TE? Some of you people are so out of touch with the game of football...

I know! It's like go back and watch the game before you comment. I like what Riley is doing so far. We could get dangerous if we develop a run game.

I know! It's like go back and watch the game before you comment. I like what Riley is doing so far. We could get dangerous if we develop a run game.

I get it with certain aspects, tough to remember everything but damn, that dude really expected all kinds of targets to the TE? Notice he didn't say jack squat about jet sweeps, bubble screens, screens in general, or an improved Armstrong, which were all aspects heavily discussed...

I get it with certain aspects, tough to remember everything but damn, that dude really expected all kinds of targets to the TE? Notice he didn't say jack squat about jet sweeps, bubble screens, screens in general, or an improved Armstrong, which were all aspects heavily discussed...

For sure. Just need to keep moving forward. We are far from dead yet. GBR

Reactions: HuskerTimOmaha
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT