ADVERTISEMENT

Scouting Iowa

They are a solid team. Strong D, as good as Wisconsin’s. A very strong old school offense. They run zone read on O and their huge O line opens allot of holes. Their running game has been their Achilles tendon this year, but with our defensive line, they will probably have pretty good success. Their passing game is very good, especially the mid to long route. They don’t beat you with mistakes. You have to stop their run game and go after their quarterback in order to win the game. Their quarterback does not like pressure from the middle, but does a good job of scrambling on the edges. Is one of the leading percentage throwing quarterbacks in the conference and is a big, tough guy to bring down. He’s a big dude. They have a consistent field goal kicker and a very good punt returner. All around, I would put them in the same level as Wisconsin. Will be a tough game to win

They are a solid team. Strong D, as good as Wisconsin’s. A very strong old school offense. They run zone read on O and their huge O line opens allot of holes. Their running game has been their Achilles tendon this year, but with our defensive line, they will probably have pretty good success. Their passing game is very good, especially the mid to long route. They don’t beat you with mistakes. You have to stop their run game and go after their quarterback in order to win the game. Their quarterback does not like pressure from the middle, but does a good job of scrambling on the edges. Is one of the leading percentage throwing quarterbacks in the conference and is a big, tough guy to bring down. He’s a big dude. They have a consistent field goal kicker and a very good punt returner. All around, I would put them in the same level as Wisconsin. Will be a tough game to win
Good post. I would disagree with your assessment of our DL though. They have been very solid all year, our LB's on the other hand have been downright bad, that is my biggest concern Friday. I am afraid Iowa will expose our LB's in the run game and the passing game.

Bad weather will help us as it will limit their ability to pass. Keep them under 4 yards per carry. Easy throws (if first or 2nd guy aren’t open, don’t dance around, just take off). We’ve been showing the option a fair amount and I’m expecting the ole qb play action where the qb takes a few steps down the line giving an option look to bring the db’s in only to stop and take a couple steps back and hit a wide open TE streaking down the middle. I’m sure there’s a better name for that play. Of course, the occasional deep ball. We need to be on + side of turnovers obviously.

Good post. I would disagree with your assessment of our DL though. They have been very solid all year, our LB's on the other hand ave been downright bad, that is my biggest concern Friday. I am afraid Iowa will expose our LB's in the run game and the passing game.

Yup - my guess is they look at some MN film and have a similar plan.

Unfortunately, I watch/listen to Iowa football as much as I do Husker football for the simple reason I like watching them lose. Beating Iowa is simultaneously simple and difficult. Special teams has to be sound and I like what we did last week with the short high kicks. Stay in your lane and make them start from the 25 or 30... when we are on defense we should load the box and make them drive the field. Illinois did this really well and slowed Iowa to a crawl. Iowa fans hate Stanley throwing it deep as his decision making and accuracy can be suspect. He will hit his tight ends and receivers a few times and then throw it over their heads just as many times. Once Iowa gets in the red zone they struggle, so patience is key in not giving them the big play... Ferentz is not a risk taker and will kick field goals. Iowa beat both Illinois and Iowa State by kicking 4 field goals so just don’t give up the TD in big plays from the middle of the field. You don’t need to hit Stanley just put a little bit of pressure on him. Offense is where the game will be won or lost. The approach we took to Wisconsin was pretty good in taking some time off the clock and letting the defense rest. Iowa lives off turnovers and while they don’t score much off them, they use them to kill opponents drives. Illinois lost because of this. Martinez gambling with the ball will lose the game quickly. Iowa can be run on, but you have to go right at them particularly with QB runs or counters. They run well laterally but putting in McCaffery on occasion might keep them off balance. Run right at Epenesa or their interior line and then throw deep on a quick predetermined route. If it isn’t there, throw it away or it will be picked. Keep Martinez in the move as their pass rush is very good.

Overall, our chances are not good but anything can happen. Ferentz designs his game plans to be within a one score game every week so if we can minimize turnovers and similar mistakes we have a shot..

Alright head coaches, what is the scouting report on Iowa?

-What are their strenghts?
-Are they better than last year's team?
-Will we be able to move the ball on them and score in the red zone?
-What do we have to do to beat them?

GBR

Strengths - Their DL is good, and QB play is good when he is on.
Better than Last year - No; Their O_Line hasn't meshed real well.
Will we be able to move the ball - If the weather is bad, I think it is going to be tough, but otherwise I think we will move it, just have to punch it in
Keys to victory - Get to the QB and LB's need to play well.

Iowa plays a bend but don't break defense. They give up a ton of yards but very few points. The secondary keeps everything in front of them and makes you execute down the field. They are really stout in the Red Zone. Iowa doesn't blitz much and will get pressure with 4, but they will send timely blitzes when teams aren't expecting Teams have been able to run on Iowa, especially up the middle. It's when teams get behind on downs and end up with 3rd in long that they get in trouble. Epenesa is the real deal, he requires a double team or at least TE/RB help.

Offensively Iowa has struggled with the run, teams have figured out the zone blocking system. True Freshman Tyler Goodson (Georgia HS player of the year last year) has taken over the RB position and has athleticism that Iowa typically doesn't have. Stanley is a game manager in that he rarely makes bad decisions, he has been up and down on his accuracy down the field and missed on a ton of huge gains this year (and last). With losing 2 TEs to the first round of the NFL last year, the WRs have stepped up. They have 4 WRs that can make plays, which is rare for Iowa. Iowa's offensive line has 3 great lineman, Wirfs at RT is top 10-15 pick and has really played like it. LT Jackson is also an NFL Lineman, C Linderbaum is a Freshman and has future AA written all of him. The Guards have been average to bad all year which has led to the running game struggles. Teams have stacked the box against Iowa to force them to throw, if weather is a factor, this could greatly impact the offense.

Last edited:

GBR
One note not mentioned yet. Stanley is a big strong dude. You cannot assume if you get him in backfield you bring home down. Every game I watched a defender leaves his feet t thinking he will drag him down ends up with Stanley breaking away and gaining yards or completing a pass. Every 3rd down will be huge so letting one of those go away is probably worth points toward final score

I approve of these posts. Pretty spot on.

The only minor clarification, on D they don’t give up a ton of yards as one mentioned. Near the top of conf and nation... but the post was accurate in intention. Giving up yards does not bother them. They are sound and believe college kids will mess up if they have to go 10 plus plays to score (which seems funny as Iowa’s offensive philosophy is to do just that - long drives). What bothers Iowa’s D and DCoordinator is giving up big plays. They consider those 20+yd plays.

Weather is going to turn this into a TO game. Meaning who does it less, or not at crucial times or field position will probably win. Weather is going to take away Iowa’s passing game. With good weather Iowa’s balance would have made it really, really tough sledding for Nebraska. With weather helping make Iowa 1 dimensional, I believe this is a 50/50, low scoring game.

Reactions: nu2u
Iowa Offense:

OL- Struggled immensely against UM with pass protection. We gave up 8 of our 21 sacks on the year in that game alone. If Nebraska can generate pressure up the middle, they could get home a lot on Friday. The 2 OT's are both really good and candidates to leave for the NFL after this season as they are both juniors. The run game has improved this year it seems like but is still in the bottom half of the conference.

QB- Stanely has the arm strength to make every throw needed. He struggles with accuracy, especially on passes down the field. He will miss at least one deep ball on Friday due to an overthrow. Not a huge threat to run though he has kept it on a couple zone reads this year for decent gains. The most running you will see from him is 3rd or 4th and short. His success on QB sneaks is extremely high in those situations.

RB- True freshman Tyler Goodson took over as the starter for the Minnesota game and has been the featured back since. Prior to that we were rotating him, Mekhi Sargent and Toren Young. Goodson has a bright future at RB and is also a threat to catch the ball out of the backfield or lined up in the slot as he has 21 catches this season.

TE/WR- Our production at TE has dropped significantly this season after losing 2 first round picks. True freshman Sam LaPorta has seen an increase in his role in the passing game the last few weeks. Our TE's will probably combine for only 2-3 catches on Friday. Luckily, our WR's have emerged and picked up the lost production from the TE position. RS FR Tyrone Tracy has emerged as a playmaker and plays both out wide and in the slot. Smith-Marsette is the speed guy and also returns kicks at a high level. Brandon Smith was having the best year for our WR's prior to suffering a foot injury. He may be back this weekend. The 4th WR that gets reps is RS FR Nico Ragaini who is similar to a Nick Easley or Matt Vandeburg from past Iowa teams.

Iowa Defense:

DL- We will play 7 or 8 up front. The DE's, Epenesa and Gholston are the most talented guys of the group. Sack numbers have started to come on lately after a quiet start there to start the season.

LB- We will probably only play 2 LB's for a majority of the game, Welch and Colbert. The other LB/DB hybrid has been true freshman Dane Belton. The LB corps is our weakest spot on defense by quite a margin, IMO.

DB- Strong group like usual under Phil Parker. Geno Stone at safety is the star of the group.

Reactions: CatColumbia
I approve of these posts. Pretty spot on.

The only minor clarification, on D they don’t give up a ton of yards as one mentioned. Near the top of conf and nation... but the post was accurate in intention. Giving up yards does not bother them. They are sound and believe college kids will mess up if they have to go 10 plus plays to score (which seems funny as Iowa’s offensive philosophy is to do just that - long drives). What bothers Iowa’s D and DCoordinator is giving up big plays. They consider those 20+yd plays.

Weather is going to turn this into a TO game. Meaning who does it less, or not at crucial times or field position will probably win. Weather is going to take away Iowa’s passing game. With good weather Iowa’s balance would have made it really, really tough sledding for Nebraska. With weather helping make Iowa 1 dimensional, I believe this is a 50/50, low scoring game.

Cecil's analysis is spot on. He has a lot of connections to the Iowa program and I believe to the fine folks to the west of Iowa as well.

As an Iowa fan, I admire how well Iowa plays team defense on a consistent basis. They have better talent on that side of the ball that most will acknowledge (Epenesa is the one that jumps out obviously) but they are a testament to what can be done with a sound scheme, coached well and guys who play hard and will sacrifice for team success.

Close to a pick-em game in my mind (weather playing a huge role). If Iowa can't throw the ball, they will have even more trouble scoring than they already do.

Iowa plays a bend but don't break defense. They give up a ton of yards but very few points. The secondary keeps everything in front of them and makes you execute down the field. They are really stout in the Red Zone. Iowa doesn't blitz much and will get pressure with 4, but they will send timely blitzes when teams aren't expecting Teams have been able to run on Iowa, especially up the middle. It's when teams get behind on downs and end up with 3rd in long that they get in trouble. Epenesa is the real deal, he requires a double team or at least TE/RB help.

Offensively Iowa has struggled with the run, teams have figured out the zone blocking system. True Freshman Tyler Goodson (Georgia HS player of the year last year) has taken over the RB position and has athleticism that Iowa typically doesn't have. Stanley is a game manager in that he rarely makes bad decisions, he has been up and down on his accuracy down the field and missed on a ton of huge gains this year (and last). With losing 2 TEs to the first round of the NFL last year, the WRs have stepped up. They have 4 WRs that can make plays, which is rare for Iowa. Iowa's offensive line has 3 great lineman, Wirfs at RT is top 10-15 pick and has really played like it. LT Jackson is also an NFL Lineman, C Linderbaum is a Freshman and has future AA written all of him. The Guards have been average to bad all year which has led to the running game struggles. Teams have stacked the box against Iowa to force them to throw, if weather is a factor, this could greatly impact the offense.
13th in the country at 306.1 per game but ok.

spot on analysis above

the mindset is something that is hard to gauge.

Iowa just went thru an emotional senior day and their bowl destination is pretty well set with going to a San .. one of the other it looks like.
Neb playing for Senior day and a bowl game to possibly a cold weather destination , but more importantly is the extra practices they get .

I think in the recent series, Iowa won a game against a better neb team once, and Neb won an overtime game against a better Iowa team once . So I believe the better team has won these matchups .

the weather is a big factor . but I am not sure who it helps , honestly .

Iowa's linebackers haven't been the best either .And the guards for Iowa have been a weak link as some have already mentioned Pressure up the middle has killed iowa .

the obvious, turnovers and finishing drives are the keys . Quick , easy scores off turnovers may decide this one.

its a toss up

Unfortunately, I watch/listen to Iowa football as much as I do Husker football for the simple reason I like watching them lose. Beating Iowa is simultaneously simple and difficult. Special teams has to be sound and I like what we did last week with the short high kicks. Stay in your lane and make them start from the 25 or 30... when we are on defense we should load the box and make them drive the field. Illinois did this really well and slowed Iowa to a crawl. Iowa fans hate Stanley throwing it deep as his decision making and accuracy can be suspect. He will hit his tight ends and receivers a few times and then throw it over their heads just as many times. Once Iowa gets in the red zone they struggle, so patience is key in not giving them the big play... Ferentz is not a risk taker and will kick field goals. Iowa beat both Illinois and Iowa State by kicking 4 field goals so just don’t give up the TD in big plays from the middle of the field. You don’t need to hit Stanley just put a little bit of pressure on him. Offense is where the game will be won or lost. The approach we took to Wisconsin was pretty good in taking some time off the clock and letting the defense rest. Iowa lives off turnovers and while they don’t score much off them, they use them to kill opponents drives. Illinois lost because of this. Martinez gambling with the ball will lose the game quickly. Iowa can be run on, but you have to go right at them particularly with QB runs or counters. They run well laterally but putting in McCaffery on occasion might keep them off balance. Run right at Epenesa or their interior line and then throw deep on a quick predetermined route. If it isn’t there, throw it away or it will be picked. Keep Martinez in the move as their pass rush is very good.

Overall, our chances are not good but anything can happen. Ferentz designs his game plans to be within a one score game every week so if we can minimize turnovers and similar mistakes we have a shot..

This is spot on. Wife is a husker fan so house divided for me this week. I think this game is won or lost with Stanley. If you get pressure on him consistently we are in for a long day. Also Martinez scrambling will wreck havoc on Iowa's linebackers who have been super inconsistent outside of Kristen Welch. We will see how it goes. Good luck to you but hopefully we keep the heroes trophy one more year.

Reactions: cidsports

GBR

- Response
  • Iowa is 2-1 in trophy games and is seeking to go 5 straight vs. Minnesota, Iowa State and Nebraska (last one)
  • Iowa is 3rd behind Minnesota and Wisconsin in the B1G West
  • Finished 1-1 against those two fine opponents
  • Costly fumbled snap at UW, under center in 2Q lead UW to 14-6 half, rather than a 7-6 half, like at Iowa State game in Ames. Iowa won 18-17 on the road
  • Iowa +2 TO margin against ISU, but in 3 losses negative turnover margin in all three B1G losses
- Strengths
  • Junior PK Keith Duncan set a Big Ten record with FGs
  • Iowa was #1 in red zone offense, until Saturday, against Illinois, now #3 (#3 in Defense, as well)
  • Iowa is fifth in TO margin and was +2 in win over #1 Illinois, so TO margin IMPORTANT TO WATCH
  • Most efficient unit is Special teams, #9 FPI nationally, Penn State is #2
  • As Scott Frost was asked, the coaching staff roots are 21 seasons now as head coach, but as Mitch Sherman pointed out this week, his first experience was back in 1981 (1979 was the first modern Iowa vs. Nebraska game, kicking off Hayden Fry's first season at the University) .... Continuity
  • Iowa won 10-7 in coach Kirk Ferentz first game as a Hawkeye
  • This is the first season, Kirk is talking about living in Iowa, for 30 years now
  • Strength & Conditioning coach and defensive coordinator are in their 21st season at Iowa
  • DC Phil Parker, former Michigan State safety and Iowa defensive back coach, since 1999, now DC
- Better (one could say trending that way)
  • Iowa was 8-5 in 2017
  • Iowa was 9-4 in 2018
  • Iowa is now 8-3 in 2019
  • Recruiting has been moving upward, since 12-0 regular season in 2015
  • However, loss at Wisconsin, was fourth straight
  • So, fourth straight season, not playing for a Big Ten title
Iowa at Nebraska
  • FPI would say Iowa has a 70% chance to win
  • Iowa is favorite and favorite hasn't lost, since the 2013 game, when Iowa began B1G win streak in Memorial Stadium
  • Iowa is more efficient in offense, defense and special teams, than Nebraska, on the season per FPI
  • Nebraska lost a tough, hard fought game in 2018, at Kinnick, on a final field goal
  • Yes, Nebraska will move the football on Iowa
  • Iowa held Minnesota to FGs in the redzone much of the game
  • Explosive plays will be a key, as any game against Iowa
Winning the game
  • Turnovers, miscues, penalties, staying ahead of chains
  • Explosive plays
  • Tackling
  • Do I sound like P.J. Fleck, yet?
  • Or, Lovie Smith?
Ultimately, it is a football game and winning the line of scrimmage is a major key. You don't want to beat yourself. Isn't that Iowa, Nebraska football ultimately?

Neither team is Ohio State. Let alone Alabama or Clemson.

Neither team is Penn State, Michigan or Wisconsin either.

Iowa should win. Nebraska will not make that easy. If close, who do you like?

Iowa hasn't lost too many games, since 2015, that haven't been close. Not sure one can say that about Nebraska currently or throughout the nine years in the Big Ten, or years, since 2001.

It should be a good one. Maybe as good as any, since the series began an annual affair?

Reactions: c3o and Bonerfarts
This is spot on. Wife is a husker fan so house divided for me this week. I think this game is won or lost with Stanley. If you get pressure on him consistently we are in for a long day. Also Martinez scrambling will wreck havoc on Iowa's linebackers who have been super inconsistent outside of Kristen Welch. We will see how it goes. Good luck to you but hopefully we keep the heroes trophy one more year.

I would say Iowa's Linebackers have been inconsistent without Kristian Welch. Who is back. Leads Iowa at MLB and has been Iowa's player of the game on defense, in wins against Minnesota and Illinois.

Is Welch going for his third straight game against Nebraska with an interception?

As I recall, I think he got one there in relief role in 2017. Maybe he didn't get another at Kinnick. He really has stabilized the back 7. He played at Iowa State and had a sack, like the past two games.

[QUOTE="CatColumbia
Defense, special teams, FG Kicker. Blocking, tackling,

Yes and No. Early exit of TEs Hockenson and Fant left a big hole in the offense. WRs have stepped up but had to rely on freshmen Tracy and Ragaini who are now just getting comfortable. Running game is spinning wheels but freshman Goodson has started to emerge late. Stanley will be starting his 37th straight game but has continued the Jeckyl and Hyde routine ...sometimes great, sometimes awful. Cannon arm, cement legs.

On defense, the decision of B10 Defensive POY Amani Hooker and DE Anthony Nelson to declare was a big hit but they have filled in nicely with a combo of experience and talented freshman.

Move the ball -yes. RZ score? TBD -that is the key for both offenses IMO. Iowa stalls and defaults to FGs frequently.... some 30-odd FGAs. Iowa's RZ defense is very good.

Establish the run, limit turnovers and penalties, make Iowa settle for more FGs

If history is any guide, two strikes for us there; our D hasn't been especially good at getting home, and Martinez has been trying way too hard to not run when a play breaks down, which is a double whammy because he has also been struggling with accuracy. Unless there is a receiver fairly wide open, he needs to take the 5-10 yard scrambles if they are there for the taking.

GBR

They're just a solid team. Nothing flashy, but balanced. Iowa is like the Goldilocks of college football: "Not too hot; not too cold." Rarely anything overly flashy, but, who are we to criticize them at this point in time...

As far as moving the ball, based on the forecast for Friday, I think this game is ultimately going to be won by the offensive and defensive lines. The passing may be a bit difficult with freezing rain or snow. No offense to our OL, but I do wonder if they can keep up, and open some holes. That's what she said.

I was excited to see our defense step it up last week, but this year's Iowa team isn't exactly this year's Maryland team (no offense to Maryland fans here).

Again, this game will be won in the trenches - an area which Nebraska hasn't exactly excelled this season.

Reactions: nu2u
Posters here know Iowa as well as Hawkeye fans do. So instead of a scouting report Ill offer strategies that NE could utilize to beat 2019 Iowa.

Play extremely aggressive D - blitz and/or sellout against the run. This will generate early punts on at least 70% of drives. Giving up a big play is ok coz your still fresh D gets to regroup near your ez where Iowa struggles yugely. Giving up FGs on 30% of drives but significantly increasing possessions for your O is a great trade off for NE.

Bad weather will help us as it will limit their ability to pass. Keep them under 4 yards per carry. Easy throws (if first or 2nd guy aren’t open, don’t dance around, just take off). We’ve been showing the option a fair amount and I’m expecting the ole qb play action where the qb takes a few steps down the line giving an option look to bring the db’s in only to stop and take a couple steps back and hit a wide open TE streaking down the middle. I’m sure there’s a better name for that play. Of course, the occasional deep ball. We need to be on + side of turnovers obviously.

As an Iowa fan if there is rain that is a big negative for Stanley. He has played poorly in bad elements. Last year he was atrocious versus PSU & Purdue. Cost Iowa a chance at competing for the west last year. He throws a nice 15-20 yard dart but is inaccurate on long plays and also makes slow decisions which with poor guard blocking has magnified that weakness.

Reactions: RiLLLLLLLLey
- Response Iowa won 10-7 in coach Kirk Ferentz first game as a Hawkeye
Neither team is Ohio State. Iowa should win. Nebraska will not make that easy. If close, who do you. Maybe as good as any, since the series began an annual affair?
All good info in there. Do have to correct something though. Kirks first game as head coach for Iowa was 42-7 loss to Nebraska.

So the weather will limit Iowa’s passing game but not ours?

So the weather will limit Iowa’s passing game but not ours?
I believe so. Even in good conditions I believe Iowa would want AM putting it up as often as possible. Gholston and Epenesa will be the best ends faced since OSU. Toss in Evans...getting behind and behind the chains isn’t a good thing in this game. Iowa’s Secondary is sound, very sound- they keep everything in front of them. Very accurate passers with good receivers inch down the field vs Iowa(ie Minn, isu did too). Nebraska doesn’t have that very accurate passer. Only receiver to really gouge Iowa has been Bell from Purdue. Nebraska doesn’t have one of those either, nor is AM the arm talent PU put on the field.

But, AM has something that is chryptonyte to Iowa’s scheme...QB that is an excellent runner. But AM needs to have a running mentality first and foremost in this game imo.

Nebraska can’t fall behind. If they do and become 1 dimensional vs Iowa in the wet/cold elements, with thin receiving depth chart, and an erratic QB prone to risky throws...no one want to see that. AM will really need his legs in this scenario- running for his life w/7 in coverage = Ick

with Iowa, their most productive unit on O will be slowed by the sh!77y weather. They haven’t run on anyone well. Respectable vs Rutgers, MTSU, and Minnesota. Serviceable at best vs the others - except for putrid ground games vs Mich and Illinois.

then again, what do we know. Sometimes when everyone is expecting a low scoring game, a shootout breaks out.

we’ll see Friday

Last edited:
Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Iowa fan here

Rain will help your chances a ton. It will limit our passing game and also Stanley has been notoriously bad in weather games! Stanley is a very off and on thrower and in the elements he doesn't get on track right away it seems.

Iowa offense- stop the run and put pressure on them to make plays down the field. Overall, we have a better receiving corps this year and will get Brandon Smith back, BUT Stanley very rarely makes a positive play if moved off his mark. OL has great tackles but sub par guards. RB is solid with a Frosh getting a lot of snaps in Goodson. TE has been a huge drop off but LaPorta shows promise as a Frosh and started last game.

Iowa D- You will have to move the ball methodically and capitalize on the 1-2 big plays that are open to you a game. We basically play sound D that makes the other team execute the short routes consistently to beat them. The only team that has kind of ran on Iowa this year is Wisconsin. There is a gap between the LBs and Safeties for throws. Always our weak spot but you have to have a QB that is patient and able to make the throws.

Special Teams- It has been above average at punter and really good at PK. Smith-Marsett is due for a long kick return.

Should be a good game. Weather might play a huge role. I wouldnt be shocked to see either team wins. Might be a classic whoever has the most mistakes/turnovers loses type game.

They’re passing game is better than ours, so it’s a net win. And anything that will discourage the coaches from calling a lot of passing plays is perfectly fine with me; I’m quite concerned with Martinez in the passing game.
Especially in the red zone. He was putrid with his red zone passes against Maryland

All good info in there. Do have to correct something though. Kirks first game as head coach for Iowa was 42-7 loss to Nebraska.

I believe I shared his first game as OL coach in 1981 was a 10-7 win against Nebraska. You are right, Iowa lost 42-7 in 1999. Iowa started a converted TE at LT. Very ugly game for the Hawkeyes.

Line play was critical for the win in 1981, lost in 1999 and will be critical on both sides of the ball again in the 2019 HyVee Heroes Trophy game.

Ferentz' football philosophy in a nutshell: the team which makes fewer mistakes will win most of the time. Ferentz' game philosophy in one word: execution. It all boils down to execution.

This is Chinander's easiest preparation week of the season. Iowa is vanilla pudding. The playbook is a pamphlet and the schemes are basic. Its been that way at Iowa for 20 years. Once or twice per season, Iowa will throw in a zinger or gadget play from the Hayden Fry archives but it has to go through an approval process even IBM would find burdensome.

Iowa plans to "out execute" Nebraska. Nothing fancy. Tackle better, block better, make fewer mistakes. That's Ferentz football.

Ferentz' football philosophy in a nutshell: the team which makes fewer mistakes will win most of the time. Ferentz' game philosophy in one word: execution. It all boils down to execution.

This is Chinander's easiest preparation week of the season. Iowa is vanilla pudding. The playbook is a pamphlet and the schemes are basic. Its been that way at Iowa for 20 years. Once or twice per season, Iowa will throw in a zinger or gadget play from the Hayden Fry archives but it has to go through an approval process even IBM would find burdensome.

Iowa plans to "out execute" Nebraska. Nothing fancy. Tackle better, block better, make fewer mistakes. That's Ferentz football.
Yes, and the chances of doing so are about 6 points according to Vegas. It’ll be a good game, and a really tough one, yet not insurmountable, to the underdog

That was always my favorite play

Iowas defense is one of the tops in the country. The team dont make many mistakes. They are patient and take advantage of their opponents mistakes. We cant afford any turnovers and we have to keep the penalties to a minimum. This game could come down to field position so hopefully Frost will be patient as well. Iowas offense is horrid.

Iowa fan here

Rain will help your chances a ton. It will limit our passing game and also Stanley has been notoriously bad in weather games! Stanley is a very off and on thrower and in the elements he doesn't get on track right away it seems.

Iowa offense- stop the run and put pressure on them to make plays down the field. Overall, we have a better receiving corps this year and will get Brandon Smith back, BUT Stanley very rarely makes a positive play if moved off his mark. OL has great tackles but sub par guards. RB is solid with a Frosh getting a lot of snaps in Goodson. TE has been a huge drop off but LaPorta shows promise as a Frosh and started last game.

Iowa D- You will have to move the ball methodically and capitalize on the 1-2 big plays that are open to you a game. We basically play sound D that makes the other team execute the short routes consistently to beat them. The only team that has kind of ran on Iowa this year is Wisconsin. There is a gap between the LBs and Safeties for throws. Always our weak spot but you have to have a QB that is patient and able to make the throws.

Special Teams- It has been above average at punter and really good at PK. Smith-Marsett is due for a long kick return.

Should be a good game. Weather might play a huge role. I wouldnt be shocked to see either team wins. Might be a classic whoever has the most mistakes/turnovers loses type game.

I’m just going to hope for a good game, and that I don’t freeze to death.

I simply think Iowa’s offensive and defensive lines will win the game. But I’m 90% wrong 75% of the time.

I believe I shared his first game as OL coach in 1981 was a 10-7 win against Nebraska. You are right, Iowa lost 42-7 in 1999. Iowa started a converted TE at LT. Very ugly game for the Hawkeyes.

Line play was critical for the win in 1981, lost in 1999 and will be critical on both sides of the ball again in the 2019 HyVee Heroes Trophy game.
Ahhh as O-Line coach. How odd his first game as asst and as head coach were against Nebraska. Line play will always be key in football and we fell off in that with Riley and Frost is working hard at it. We still have a ways to go. I know Scott gets it so we should improve over time and create a better rivalry in years to come

Ahhh as O-Line coach. How odd his first game as asst and as head coach were against Nebraska. Line play will always be key in football and we fell off in that with Riley and Frost is working hard at it. We still have a ways to go. I know Scott gets it so we should improve over time and create a better rivalry in years to come

It ultimately is what football is for Wisconsin, Iowa and many other B1G teams.

We shall see what Nebraska football is in Year 3-5 under Scott Frost.

@Sean Callahan shared, "I think this season more than anything showed people that it’s not an overnight rebuild. There has been 15 years of dysfunction at Nebraska and it finally caught up with them. NU doesn’t have the depth or experience on the lines to consistently compete against the top teams in the conference."

Iowa fans experiencd 17 seasons of real down football, worse than back to back 4 game seasons. Hayden Fry was hired 40 years ago. But, it wasn't until OL coach Kirk Ferentz was hired in Year 3, did line play really improve. His running mate on the DL was Dan McCarney. Both did a good job developing linemen.

While Nebraska was going through great heights in late 60s and 70s, Iowa was having AD issues, as they saw at Nebraska prior to Moos being hired from Washington State.

Iowa is going through a transition with new DL coach this year and a newer OL coach, who was an OC, and not a OL coach at his previous stop.
  • It will be a key tomorrow on both sides of the ball
  • As will turnovers
  • Explosive plays
  • Tackling
Should be an interesting game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT