ADVERTISEMENT

Scott Strasburger is a public menace

That's just a sad story about a person who had achieved so much letting a substance ruin it all for him. His career is shot and his staff is likely unemployed at least for awhile. Maybe he'll turn his life around and can be a positive person for society' sake in the future. Thank God no one was injured.

I have had three friends around my age (mid-50s) enter out-patient rehab, one who should NOW due to problems, and two who have serious liver problems. No rehab for them, they plan to "cut back". All have always been drinkers to varying degrees, but after age 50 the habit really seemed to get acute for them. I don't know if it is a mid-life thing, boredom, being products of the 70's or what. It is depressing and feels helpless watching someone you have known for years slide into despair. I have been happy to see the three in rehab are taking it seriously and have stopped, for now. I feel sorry for Strausburger, but I feel much more sorry for his family who have to stand by and watch him sink.

These kinds of things rob a person of so many things, it's good to review that once in awhile for those who have hung up those demons.

On top of everything it does to one's self, the impact to family and others around you are also just as great if not more so.

The only way to stop I found, is to decide to.

I hope the best for him.

Reactions: red rover 70
I have had three friends around my age (mid-50s) enter out-patient rehab, one who should NOW due to problems, and two who have serious liver problems. No rehab for them, they plan to "cut back". All have always been drinkers to varying degrees, but after age 50 the habit really seemed to get acute for them. I don't know if it is a mid-life thing, boredom, being products of the 70's or what. It is depressing and feels helpless watching someone you have known for years slide into despair. I have been happy to see the three in rehab are taking it seriously and have stopped, for now. I feel sorry for Strausburger, but I feel much more sorry for his family who have to stand by and watch him sink.

There is a difference between an alcoholic and drug addict.

An alcoholic will get drunk, take your wallet, and then usually feel awful and beg forgiveness the next day.
A drug addict will get high, steal your wallet, and then help you look for it.

Reactions: knightwxc5000
That's just a sad story about a person who had achieved so much letting a substance ruin it all for him. His career is shot and his staff is likely unemployed at least for awhile. Maybe he'll turn his life around and can be a positive person for society' sake in the future. Thank God no one was injured.
It's addictions fault. Damn addiction, not.giving people a choice.

...and this country continues the push to legalize drugs. You know what I'm talking about.

If people want to ruin their own lives, that's their choice. The problem is that the effects are much broader than the individual. Families, friends, co-workers, and others that depend on them.

Last edited:
Just to be clear, addiction is not really the problem here. It is the abuse of an addictive drug that impairs your ability to function Safely at work and home. Mr Strassburger has shown he is abusing a medication that is addictive, a double jeopardy for him. I pray for the best for him, he has some real dark times coming up in his life, his family is faced with equally dark times due to his poor choices.

...and this country continues the push to legalize drugs. You know what I'm talking about.

If people want to ruin their own lives, that's their choice. The problem is that the effects are much broader than the individual. Families, friends, co-workers, and others that depend on them.

Legalization is not endorsement. I can't begin to imagine the time and treasure our country would save if about 95% of drugs were legalized

In many cases, the addict (regardless of the substance) has to hit rock bottom before they will accept the help they need to get clean. For good or ill, it looks like Scott is getting there.

We've lost the war on drugs, or at least the war on Mary Jane. Time to stop kidding ourselves and legalize it, then tax it. You cannot tell me cigggy's or alcohol are any worse than pot. You can try, but I won't buy it. Now do I want my kid smoking it? Hell no. But I guarantee if he wants to, he'll get it, and I'd rather have him shopping for it at Bakers than going to some seedy guys apartment or meeting somebody in a dark alley at night, or driving to Colorado to get it. Same for everyone else's kid for that matter.

We've lost the war on drugs, or at least the war on Mary Jane. Time to stop kidding ourselves and legalize it, then tax it. You cannot tell me cigggy's or alcohol are any worse than pot. You can try, but I won't buy it. Now do I want my kid smoking it? Hell no. But I guarantee if he wants to, he'll get it, and I'd rather have him shopping for it at Bakers than going to some seedy guys apartment or meeting somebody in a dark alley at night, or driving to Colorado to get it. Same for everyone else's kid for that matter.

Well then we simply disagree. I don't like seeing our country and our young people circle the drain. Is pot the only reason for this? No. But tell me how it's a positive influence on our country. And don't give me the glaucoma or cancer treatment excuse, because you know that is the exception and not the norm.

That is fine, I am always happy to disagree, and I appreciate you being civil about it. I'm not saying pot is a good thing, but tell me how ciggy's and alcohol are any better? They aren't. People drive drunk all the time. I will take a pot head over a drunk to share the road with any day of the week. I'm just saying it's out there, it's happening, but kids who apply themselves and make good decisions and succeed in life will still do so even if pot is legal. Kids who get in trouble all the time will still do so. No different than alcohol or ciggy's.

My wonderful mom died from cancer. Laid in bed with her for the last few months just hanging out with her, she is the most religious person you ever met. She would have done anything to ease the pain (the prescribed painkillers did little for her), and I would have lit the joint for her personally if I could have, with my very religious father's blessing standing by her side. So for me anyway, it isn't the exception, I saw it. I lived it. Cancer runs deep in my family, everyone gets it, I am certain I will get it. I hope by the time I do, pot is legal, and so is assisted suicide.

I'm sorry about your mom...that's why I won't ever question someone's personal decision in such a difficult time.

You can compare pot to other things. That's fine. It still doesn't make it a positive contributor to today's society, especially among young and otherwise healthy people. Our country is on a downhill slide in this regard, and the deserving negative characteristics of pot use are in direct alignment with this trend.

Last edited:
No matter how you feel about whether what drugs should be legal or illegal, regulating it is not a power enumerated by the Constitution to the federal government. Subsequently drug laws should be state by state. Its not like the guys who set the government up didn't know about drugs and alcohol, but they didn't address it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT