ADVERTISEMENT

Scott Frost

This is what I'm afraid of. He's coached some really good quarterbacks at Oregon and Florida, but he is not done well at all in Nebraska going into year four. I expected he could get better players with his resume. Milton was a special player. Made it look easy
As John Wooden once said, "if you want to be a great coach you better get great players." IMO, Frost's biggest problem this past couple of years has been QB play and I think he knows that. Likewise Harbaugh has had the same problem. They need to be able to take some of the dependence off of their QBs making decisions and trying to make game winning plays. We HAVE to have a great running game if we expect to win in the B1G.

I think it comes down to finding a quarterback... until frost separates the wagon from AM we are in trouble. If AM leaves after this year I think we will be depending on a freshman quarterback next year in Torres. Quarterback is too important of a position to just settle. I don't care if you have to take 2 every year you HAVE to find a stud to run this offense.

I think it comes down to finding a quarterback... until frost separates the wagon from AM we are in trouble. If AM leaves after this year I think we will be depending on a freshman quarterback next year in Torres. Quarterback is too important of a position to just settle. I don't care if you have to take 2 every year you HAVE to find a stud to run this offense.
All this is on Frost. Why he doesn't have someone to challenge Amart is beyond me. We're entertaining Year 4 and we're stuck with the same old losing football.

As John Wooden once said, "if you want to be a great coach you better get great players."
Agree, but I also remember a story (not sure if true) about a Brooklyn kid named Lew Alcindor who was the hottest HS BB player in the country and couldn't wait to play for Coach Wooden. Lew anticipated his first day of practice when Wooden would fill up the blackboard with plays of how to get to the hoop. Wooden came out first practice with a pair of socks and shoes and spent the next half hour instructing the players how to properly put them on. Years later Kareem said he was pissed and felt condescended to at the time, but went on to learn EVERYTHING flows from solid fundamentals (even with great players).

As I've mentioned before, I fear the "culture" at Nebraska right now is too much blackboard and not enough shoes and socks.

All this is on Frost. Why he doesn't have someone to challenge Amart is beyond me. We're entertaining Year 4 and we're stuck with the same old losing football.
They're trying. AMarts presence and descent from his freshman year has no doubt hurt their efforts. Loosing Gebbia was a killer IMO.

Some on here won’t agree with this, but if he would have went to Gainesville he would have been very successful compared to taking over here in Lincoln after the mess Riley left..

Florida is 29-9 with one division title since 2018 with the talent they were left with in Gainesville SF could have had similar results..
From a financial standpoint, Nebraska was the best move for Frost. His results have been disastrous, yet we gave him a meritless extension. If he had two seasons at Florida like he had starting out here, he would already be fired.

Being terrible has been extremely lucrative for him at Nebraska.

As John Wooden once said, "if you want to be a great coach you better get great players." IMO, Frost's biggest problem this past couple of years has been QB play and I think he knows that. Likewise Harbaugh has had the same problem. They need to be able to take some of the dependence off of their QBs making decisions and trying to make game winning plays. We HAVE to have a great running game if we expect to win in the B1G.

Exactly. If we can't run the ball with authority we're in deep, deep doo-doo.

Issues are far deeper than just QB. Martinez is/has been mediocre at best but it’s not like he’s been surrounded by great talent. And that includes Frost and Verduzco who are both lame ducks. Minimal(if at all) development across the board on offense and Frost has been outed as a pretender as a play caller. Unfortunately for him, some teams actually play defense in the Big Ten.

Buckle up, because when Martinez gets hurt again it’s going to be an interesting ride as the backups are a noddle arm who shouldn’t be a power 5 QB and a true freshman that’s not anywhere close to ready.

Reactions: umpy69er
Issues are far deeper than just QB. Martinez is/has been mediocre at best but it’s not like he’s been surrounded by great talent. And that includes Frost and Verduzco who are both lame ducks. Minimal(if at all) development across the board on offense and Frost has been outed as a pretender as a play caller. Unfortunately for him, some teams actually play defense in the Big Ten.

Buckle up, because when Martinez gets hurt again it’s going to be an interesting ride as the backups are a noddle arm who shouldn’t be a power 5 QB and a true freshman that’s not anywhere close to ready.
Yeah, it's interesting. You use "lame duck," which, at this point, unfortunately, is probably accurate. Pisses me off to think of having to hold on for another 2 to 4 years to something that I know isnt going to work and then having to start over, again.

I believe this is finally the year. My insider source told me that Scott Frost has been visited by the ghosts of Nebraska Football Past, Present and Future and has had an epiphany. The talent is there and now the coaching will be there too. A happy football season to all of Husker Nation!
I think the ghosts of Nebraska Football past may be a part of the problem. Maybe its time to let go of certain traditions and thoughts about NE football. Modernize the brand a bit. Too many people looking back at the good ol' days. Most of the recruits were not born in the 90s

I think the ghosts of Nebraska Football past may be a part of the problem. Maybe its time to let go of certain traditions and thoughts about NE football. Modernize the brand a bit. Too many people looking back at the good ol' days. Most of the recruits were not born in the 90s
Which traditions would you suggest letting go? We have already let go of the tradition of winning football games and championships. What else is there? The rest is just window dressing and eye candy for those who don't know good football when they see it.

Reactions: B1G RED RULES
Same agony OU went through for 11 years after Switzer canned. Gary somebody, great OU linebacker, for 6 years, then the drunk for one year (Howard somebody) then Blake a great OU lineman. And nothing. Losing to the Huskers by 60 points? Then the miracle. Joe C. hired as the AD. Stoops the head coach. Maybe you guys will get as lucky soon.

Which traditions would you suggest letting go? We have already let go of the tradition of winning football games and championships. What else is there? The rest is just window dressing and eye candy for those who don't know good football when they see it.
Well recruits care about branding. Modern, sleek. Window dressing yes. It means something to recruits now. Selling the 1990s does not seem to work. As for good football...well 'nough said

Well recruits care about branding. Modern, sleek. Window dressing yes. It means something to recruits now. Selling the 1990s does not seem to work. As for good football...well 'nough said
I think you are right. Alabama’s sleek uniforms have recruits jumping over each other to play there.

Reactions: Chuck003
Yeah, it's interesting. You use "lame duck," which, at this point, unfortunately, is probably accurate. Pisses me off to think of having to hold on for another 2 to 4 years to something that I know isnt going to work and then having to start over, again.
I have much more of a problem with the lame duck thing. I'm completely fine with starting over, but holding onto a lame duck head coach at a supposed blue blood program is despicable.

Exactly. Perhaps hiring former players for our head coaching jobs isn't the best route to go.

I feel a little sorry for Frost. He had things cooking at UCF, but gave it up to come back home and try to revitalize the home state program. However, not clear he'll ever reach that noble goal now.

I feel a little sorry for Frost. He had things cooking at UCF, but gave it up to come back home and try to revitalize the home state program. However, not clear he'll ever reach that noble goal now.
If I knew for a fact that he was putting absolutely everything into this gig, maybe. But that doesn't seem to be the case. Google knows. So do my eyes. And yours.

ADVERTISEMENT