ADVERTISEMENT

Scott Frost

I think if Frost somehow got Mckenzie Milton to play for a year we'd easily make a bowl and have good odds at winning the division. Our schedule is pretty brutal and somehow Minnesota, Iowa and Wisconsin always draw easier schedules.

I think if Frost somehow got Mckenzie Milton to play for a year we'd easily make a bowl and have good odds at winning the division. Our schedule is pretty brutal and somehow Minnesota, Iowa and Wisconsin always draw easier schedules.
he had a chance to do just that.

instead, it was more 'is he better than what we've got?', while Milton lights it up in the FSU spring game.

My issue with Frost the last three years is that the Offense makes stupid mistakes and plays with very poor fundamentals. Very odd coming from an Offensive minded head coach. These details should get better each year but they are not. Other teams with not as much talent seem to play with better fundamentals than us. So yeah, the coaching needs to get better…fast!

He would have already been fired at Florida or on the verge of being fired. Considering how often he gets out coached in the Big Ten…woof, him coaching in the SEC would have been even uglier. Luckily for Florida, they were smart enough to tell him he would need to hire a big boy staff.

As for UCF, yep…he should have stayed there in a nice cushy league where nobody plays defense. That seems to be more up his alley.

hard to see easier schedules for any of those 3. Minn. gets Ohio State and Indiana. Wisconsin,: N. Dame and Penn State; Iowa gets Indiana, Iowa State (not OU, but close) and Penn State. Tough schedules all around. Looks like Big 10W will likely have a 2 loss team in the CCG. Good luck.

hard to see easier schedules for any of those 3. Minn. gets Ohio State and Indiana. Wisconsin,: N. Dame and Penn State; Iowa gets Indiana, Iowa State (not OU, but close) and Penn State. Tough schedules all around. Looks like Big 10W will likely have a 2 loss team in the CCG. Good luck.
Mostly talking about the part of the schedule controlled by the Big Ten. Out of conference strength of schedule is on the individual teams.

Indiana had a good year last year but are not on the level of OSU, Mich, or PSU.

This is exactly right. Which is why our season will rise or fall on the health of Amart and on whether or not he improves.
Mario is all but screaming for Adrian to just play within himself and limit dumb plays. If they don't have each and every play where he made a dumb decision and play it on loop for him, they should. He improves when he stops thinking every play can be 6.
Coming out of the spring, I saw three backs that can play: Ervin, Scott and Yant. If Stepp get's the foot situation resolved, he adds another big back presence and has three years in P5 football. Ervin may have the makings of an every down back.
If AM has a backfield he can trust, I think things open up for him a bit.

Ha! Indeed he did and in the interview he mentions that. But he never admits that it was a mistake. I am not saying that we need to follow Barry's advice on Frost, as I hope I made clear. However, the counsel to patience seems wise to me, but with the caveats I mentioned. We are in a bind as a program if Frost fails again this year.
Why believe (or care about) anything Alvarez says? Of course he's not going to admit he was wrong, and do we expect him to say that Frost is not a good coach?

What is "fails?" We will have a solid, experienced D, likely (at the very least) a respectable O line, a 3 year starter at QB, with some good talent in the receiving corp, and yet we are projected to win 6 games. How patient should we be? The only way this gets better is killing it in recruiting, but if we can't even figure out how to put together a top 25 team, that isn't going to happen.

Pennsy, I am not certain of Barry's exact quote on Frost but if he used the word "good" that would put him in the category of a lot of coaches who are good, but not great.

Pick a sport, pick a level and you will see the differences between the good coaches and the very good ones. That extreme attention to detail in every phase of the game, each position, epitomize the truly great coaches. They can see and correct mistakes before they even happen. We simply do not have that on our staff in spades. How else do you explain why we continually make the same mistakes, same poor technique, same results.

Special teams is a picture of this team's overall success. How in the world can we be through year 3 with such lousy (and that is being kind) special team play? We have 160 players on the team but yet can't find guys to play ST? No, we are being completely out coached, out prepared and outsmarted.

The margin in the B10 is very small so every misstep by a lineman shows up big, every peek into the backfield, goes over your head, etc. Good teams, not even great teams, take advantage of mistakes in technique.

Until Frost sees where the constant mistakes are coming from and is willing to address them, we will see this same page over and over like we have the past three years. This staff is going to eventually be shaken up, it just inevitable to me but I could be wrong.

I also don't completely buy into the line that Riley is the fault of all of this. If you are a good coach you will see what you have coming up and work like heck to fix it. Either poor evaluation of who you have or poor coaching of the same. Where was the portal used to fix all these problems the last three years?

No doubt QB play is killing us. No doubt there has not been a supporting group for him as well. Why hasn't there been more development of players? That's my beef, just pick a position and ask yourself why. DB comes as close as any I suppose.

This team needs to play up to their star ratings which they have not come close to so far. This is concerning, especially in year three going on four. Where is the QB to back up Adrian this year WHEN he goes down and for that matter, next year when he may be gone? That is both poor player development and roster managment.

Covid has been blamed as a reason our young team.has not developed but in the other hand, we have an experienced D coming back because of it.

The heat is clearly on Frost and his staff as well it should be. You are seeing the results in recent recruiting so the signs are there. I would fully expect if this isn't as good as expected some assistants will be on the block. Frost is here to stay, sink or swim.

Yes, I think Frost is timing this correctly, at least for his longevity. If we are 6 or fewer wins this year, he gets to let one or two guys go, giving the appearance that he is trying to shake it up. Combine that with the buyout cost and "we just need to be patient" mantra and he will get at least two more years after this year. I am wondering when some assistants (on the D) start appreciating the situation and start looking elsewhere.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Mario is all but screaming for Adrian to just play within himself and limit dumb plays. If they don't have each and every play where he made a dumb decision and play it on loop for him, they should. He improves when he stops thinking every play can be 6.
Coming out of the spring, I saw three backs that can play: Ervin, Scott and Yant. If Stepp get's the foot situation resolved, he adds another big back presence and has three years in P5 football. Ervin may have the makings of an every down back.
If AM has a backfield he can trust, I think things open up for him a bit.
Hasn't Mario been his coach for 3 full years?

In the end, Scott Frost does not win. He's got the opportunity to prove us wrong. Anyone else would've been fired for such awful results. I hope he figures it out.

Frost has walked away from the small quick guys he was able to use at UCF and has beefed up the backfield and WR's. The defenses in AAC don't have the freak athletes that are big and can run... I think he is going to the ground and pound with moments of spread. If he make AM hand off 80% of the time I think this team wins a lot. If AM is throwing 65-75% of the time the wins go 4 or fewer... Don't make this kid think, he is not good at it.

I agree with waiting but we need something positive. An upset, clean play, great recruiting, something.
One thing that we can see as a a positive sign is the quality depth this team should have for the next two seasons. Also the team is bigger and stronger than it's been in years.
Frost coached his first game at NU with his only option at QB being a true freshman who missed his senior season in HS. Even though the record was poor in 2018 he did a good job coaching with what he had. AM lost his 3 best playmakers on offense (Spielman, Morgan, and Devine) in 2019 which handcuffed him and was a significant reason for his regression. Still, Frost improved his record to 5-7.
Last year might have been another improvement in his record if he had stuck with Martinez throughout the season. This has been his biggest blunder so far. I don't see any others that he has made with the cards dealt him.

One thing that we can see as a a positive sign is the quality depth this team should have for the next two seasons. Also the team is bigger and stronger than it's been in years.
Frost coached his first game at NU with his only option at QB being a true freshman who missed his senior season in HS. Even though the record was poor in 2018 he did a good job coaching with what he had. AM lost his 3 best playmakers on offense (Spielman, Morgan, and Devine) in 2019 which handcuffed him and was a significant reason for his regression. Still, Frost improved his record to 5-7.
Last year might have been another improvement in his record if he had stuck with Martinez throughout the season. This has been his biggest blunder so far. I don't see any others that he has made with the cards dealt him.
I also think we may have won a few more home games if there had been a full stadium and the usual game day atmosphere. Illinois leaps out as an example. We played so emotionally flat in that game it was unbelievable. Fans in the stands may have changed that.

I also think we may have won a few more home games if there had been a full stadium and the usual game day atmosphere. Illinois leaps out as an example. We played so emotionally flat in that game it was unbelievable. Fans in the stands may have changed that.

No. You're grasping at straws at this "What if?" scenario. It's up to Frost to motivate them. Surely, he could have won at least 6 games without the excuses.

Needed a full and raucous crowd to maybe not get rolled by Illinois. VERY promising.

• Haha
Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Yes the team around AM is much deeper and better, but AM has always been the weak link and will continue to be until proven otherwise.

my expectations are low, but Scott needs to turn a corner and very quickly.
for all kinds of reasons.

The above post nails it. The entire key to this season the D playing solid and steady. And a healthy O line so they are a run first team. When AM has to make 1 or maybe 2 reads or take off he’s good. When he has to think in multiples he’s bad. Also don’t fumble

I love crowd noise and always yell loudly when the D is on the field to support the Blackshirts and hopefully make it hard for the opposing O to communicate. Loud, rocking stadiums are fun to me.

But if the team is emotionally flat, then they’re simply not competitors. They should be sick and tired of losing and not making it to a bowl game. If they have any pride at all, they don’t need a F’n crowd to get up for a game, period. That’s on the coaches as much as the players.

Yes the team around AM is much deeper and better, but AM has always been the weak link and will continue to be until proven otherwise.
I agree that AM isn’t a great QB. But the rest of the O has been terrible too. Center: can’t snap the Freaking ball. Other linemen act like statues or matadors. RB’s haven’t been great, definitely no break-away speed. WR’s don’t get separation or catch consistently.

I think there is better talent at all positions other than QB. Obviously a great QB makes a difference between playing and not playing for championships. But if the O can snap the ball and not throw off AM’s timing and actually block somebody so he doesn’t panic, that would be a significant improvement. Opening up holes and RB’s that can hit a hole and pick up big chunks of yards will help. And a WR or 2 that can stretch the field will help. That can be the difference between >6 wins and sitting at the house in December.

That’s where we need to start.

I agree that AM isn’t a great QB. But the rest of the O has been terrible too. Center: can’t snap the Freaking ball. Other linemen act like statues or matadors. RB’s haven’t been great, definitely no break-away speed. WR’s don’t get separation or catch consistently.

I think there is better talent at all positions other than QB. Obviously a great QB makes a difference between playing and not playing for championships. But if the O can snap the ball and not throw off AM’s timing and actually block somebody so he doesn’t panic, that would be a significant improvement. Opening up holes and RB’s that can hit a hole and pick up big chunks of yards will help. And a WR or 2 that can stretch the field will help. That can be the difference between >6 wins and sitting at the house in December.

That’s where we need to start.
He did play a decent game at Rutgers last year to close out the season (sans a bowl game). He also handed the ball off a lot to Mills. He passed for 255 and Mills ran for 191 and we won by 7 points.

I get that is a starting point, and the theme seems to be hand the ball of and limit his running.. make him a game manager, but that barely squeaked us by Rutgers.

If we can squeak by 6 this year I guess we get a bowl game and call it good right?

yay!

Last edited:
Reactions: 10Trvln
He did play a decent game at Rutgers last year to close out the season (sans a bowl game). He also handed the ball off a lot to Mills. He passed for 255 and Mills ran for 191 and we won by 7 points.

I get that is a starting point, and the theme seems to be hand the ball of and limit his running.. make him a game manager, but that barely squeaked us by Rutgers.

If we can squeak by 6 this year I guess we get a bowl game and call it good right?

yay!
5 TOs probably made the game closer than it should have been… take even two of those away and the win looks a lot more comfortable. I think we outgained them by something like 300 yards…

I love crowd noise and always yell loudly when the D is on the field to support the Blackshirts and hopefully make it hard for the opposing O to communicate. Loud, rocking stadiums are fun to me.

But if the team is emotionally flat, then they’re simply not competitors. They should be sick and tired of losing and not making it to a bowl game. If they have any pride at all, they don’t need a F’n crowd to get up for a game, period. That’s on the coaches as much as the players.
Yes. It's yet another excuse for a team that, time and time again, hasn't been prepared or coached up. We've got good talent, but lacking in leadership. It looks like the D may, collectively, be the guys that can at least help light a fire on Saturdays. But, still very much a question as to what in the hell is going on Mondays thru Fridays.

Reactions: 10Trvln

yay!
It’s the sad reality of where our football program is right now.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
It’s the sad reality of where our football program is right now.
Again, play that game without the turnovers and it’s a blowout. Get some discipline and our program is in a much better place.

I know I’m stating the obvious, but some of you are acting like we barely competed with Rutgers and were lucky to win.

Again, play that game without the turnovers and it’s a blowout. Get some discipline and our program is in a much better place.

I know I’m stating the obvious, but some of you are acting like we barely competed with Rutgers and were lucky to win.
of course.

A.) it's f'ing rutgers
B.) it's f'ing rutgers without their quarterback
C.) it's f'ing rutgers for crying out loud

let's not forget we also allowed a kickoff return for a TD in that game, too.

yay!
Rutgers. Lol

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
ADVERTISEMENT