ADVERTISEMENT

Scott Frost

Pennsyhusker

Athletic Director
Aug 6, 2009
Harveys Lake, PA
I read an interview today with Barry Alvarez where he says, among other things, that Frost is a good coach and that Nebraska fans just need to be "patient." Unlike some on on here, I kind of like Barry and so I think his words should be taken seriously. However, all that said, the "Frost problem" remains and provoked some thoughts on my part.

First, I think Frost is a good football coach. But good football coaches come in different types. There are some coaches who are very good at taking a talented team and putting together a winning program. There are other coaches who are very good at turning programs around - - programs that lack talent and are a dumpster fire when the new coach comes in. Frost did a good job at Central Florida but he inherited a talented roster and had a great QB. But he has, so far, failed at Nebraska and so it would seem that he is a coach who is good at taking talent and turning them into winners but maybe not so good at turning around a dumpster fire. On the other hand maybe he is good at turning things around but the dumpster fire was so severe that it will take five or six years to turn this around. Who knows? Furthermore, an argument can be made that by this time Frost has upgraded the talent sufficiently to put a better product on the field than what we have seen. Penalties, turnovers, poor special teams, transfers of our best players ... these are bad signs. The program, in terms of talent, is no longer a dumpster fire and it wasn't last year either. So why the undisciplined play? Why the transfers?

With the hiring of a new AD, and assuming it is not Davison, if Frost has another losing season pressure will mount to fire him. But Barry counsels patience. But how long can we wait? Because even if Frost IS a good coach the fact is that in modern college football you only have a small window of opportunity, for better or for worse, to turn a team around. If you don't do it in four years, the negative recruiting ratchets up, national publicity becomes negative, and an ethos of irrelevance and losing settles in. How can we keep up our recruiting in such an environment? So I ask again: how long do we wait? I HATE the coaching carousel and rolling the dice on yet another new coach is no sure bet. Unless that coach is a huge splash hire which, given the state of our program, is highly unlikely. No great coach in his right mind will want to come to a school where, apparently, coaches go to ruin their careers. So if Frost cannot turn us around this year, who really can? It is a real dilemma.

I honestly don't know what to think other than the fact that if we win this year and turn things around all of this talk will go away. It is my hope that this season is the true turning point. But I have my doubts. In modern football you need a QB who is either a great QB or a great game manager for the talent that surrounds him and does not make mistakes that kill the team. AMart does not fit into either category. So here we sit... and wait. Again.

Alvarez also recommended Eichorst.
Ha! Indeed he did and in the interview he mentions that. But he never admits that it was a mistake. I am not saying that we need to follow Barry's advice on Frost, as I hope I made clear. However, the counsel to patience seems wise to me, but with the caveats I mentioned. We are in a bind as a program if Frost fails again this year.

Very well written and it is quite the dilemma if SF and his staff isn’t turning this thing around this season..I still feel not having any spring football practices last spring hurt this program when it needed the most and I’ve already under stand everyone else had to deal with it too..

Alverez had Eichorst working for him as director of athletics for 6 years so he most likely wouldn’t admit that he was a bad hire being Nebraska AD..

Barry understands the part about it takes some time to build a program and at times it takes longer than some other places..

Very well written and it is quite the dilemma if SF and his staff isn’t turning this thing around this season..I still feel not having any spring football practices last spring hurt this program when it needed the most and I’ve already under stand everyone else had to deal with it too..

Alverez had Eichorst working for him as director of athletics for 6 years so he most likely wouldn’t admit that he was a bad hire being Nebraska AD..

Barry understands the part about it takes some time to build a program and at times it takes longer than some other places..
Yes, we had a talented but inexperienced team last year so the loss of spring practice really hurt. Also... the lack of fans in the stadium hurt us as well since the atmosphere in memorial stadium with fans in the seats can be a real home field advantage which we lost because of Covid.

I like and respect Barry Alvarez for the great career he's had. That said, he also made a huge mistake in recommending Eichorst to Nebraska. But then again sometimes we all make mistakes like that. I also once really wanted Pedey as the AD at the time, what a HUGE mistake/disaster that was. So yes, everyone screws up once in a while.

What the hell is this loyalty to Scott Frost?? If his name was Scott Hagman would yall still be saying this stuff?? Dude makes $5 million a year, damn near 2wice as much as any coach in the history of Nebraska with the worse results in 55 years.

Then you got some saying give him "several" MORE years....wtf! Can you tell me the last school where a coach had 4 losing seasons in a row and didn't get fired? Whose the last coach anywhere that lasted 7-8 years and suddenly hit the switch and started winning?

That's not how it goes, coaches are who they are and you know pretty quick, usually year 2 if they any good. Frost needs to win THIS YEAR and consistently going forward and he KNOWS THAT.

There is a different mindset from Nebraska fans the further you LIVE away from Lincoln. Every program has issues...alot way worse than what Nebraska has and they either turned it around or trying to with a different coach. It's 2021......NO MORE EXCUSES!

What Frost came in to was far worse than it seemed on the surface. Didn't we have 2 scholarship linebackers? Oline was similar, along with many other areas of a team and even the administration. It would have been nice to have a quick turnaround, but was probably very doubtful from the beginning.

We needs Frost to be successful. There has been improvement and some real concerns. Hopefully the coaches and the players start to deliver results. It may take time but what other choice do we have. Change is always risky.

Scott understands the expectations for this program. If it takes another several years for him to get things humming, so be it. It's a learning process, a daily battle, and worth the wait. When we return to prominence, it will be because of the perseverance which will sustain.
If it takes another several years???

Reactions: Chuck003
I read an interview today with Barry Alvarez where he says, among other things, that Frost is a good coach and that Nebraska fans just need to be "patient." Unlike some on on here, I kind of like Barry and so I think his words should be taken seriously. However, all that said, the "Frost problem" remains and provoked some thoughts on my part.

First, I think Frost is a good football coach. But good football coaches come in different types. There are some coaches who are very good at taking a talented team and putting together a winning program. There are other coaches who are very good at turning programs around - - programs that lack talent and are a dumpster fire when the new coach comes in. Frost did a good job at Central Florida but he inherited a talented roster and had a great QB. But he has, so far, failed at Nebraska and so it would seem that he is a coach who is good at taking talent and turning them into winners but maybe not so good at turning around a dumpster fire. On the other hand maybe he is good at turning things around but the dumpster fire was so severe that it will take five or six years to turn this around. Who knows? Furthermore, an argument can be made that by this time Frost has upgraded the talent sufficiently to put a better product on the field than what we have seen. Penalties, turnovers, poor special teams, transfers of our best players ... these are bad signs. The program, in terms of talent, is no longer a dumpster fire and it wasn't last year either. So why the undisciplined play? Why the transfers?

With the hiring of a new AD, and assuming it is not Davison, if Frost has another losing season pressure will mount to fire him. But Barry counsels patience. But how long can we wait? Because even if Frost IS a good coach the fact is that in modern college football you only have a small window of opportunity, for better or for worse, to turn a team around. If you don't do it in four years, the negative recruiting ratchets up, national publicity becomes negative, and an ethos of irrelevance and losing settles in. How can we keep up our recruiting in such an environment? So I ask again: how long do we wait? I HATE the coaching carousel and rolling the dice on yet another new coach is no sure bet. Unless that coach is a huge splash hire which, given the state of our program, is highly unlikely. No great coach in his right mind will want to come to a school where, apparently, coaches go to ruin their careers. So if Frost cannot turn us around this year, who really can? It is a real dilemma.

I honestly don't know what to think other than the fact that if we win this year and turn things around all of this talk will go away. It is my hope that this season is the true turning point. But I have my doubts. In modern football you need a QB who is either a great QB or a great game manager for the talent that surrounds him and does not make mistakes that kill the team. AMart does not fit into either category. So here we sit... and wait. Again.
There is some indication that the transfers we are seeing are not all player initiated .

The locker room last year was not a place of solidarity , if your looking for some indication of this look at the bowl vote. Defense wanted to go bowling , some members of the offense did not.

In business , sometime your best salesman isn’t good for the dynamics of the sales team, in football Your Best Player, is not always a good team member and hurts the team off the field .

There was much mentioned of Scott trying to hard to get along with the players . This will have to change for Scott to be the leader. Tom Landry once said “ it is my job to get you too do the things you don’t want to do, to get you to achieve to the things you want to achieve”

A good leader can not always be your best friend.

I like and respect Barry Alvarez for the great career he's had. That said, he also made a huge mistake in recommending Eichorst to Nebraska. But then again sometimes we all make mistakes like that. I also once really wanted Pedey as the AD at the time, what a HUGE mistake/disaster that was. So yes, everyone screws up once in a while.
Wasn’t Cosgrove his DC for a period of time?

What the hell is this loyalty to Scott Frost?? If his name was Scott Hagman would yall still be saying this stuff?? Dude makes $5 million a year, damn near 2wice as much as any coach in the history of Nebraska with the worse results in 55 years.

Then you got some saying give him "several" MORE years....wtf! Can you tell me the last school where a coach had 4 losing seasons in a row and didn't get fired? Whose the last coach anywhere that lasted 7-8 years and suddenly hit the switch and started winning?

That's not how it goes, coaches are who they are and you know pretty quick, usually year 2 if they any good. Frost needs to win THIS YEAR and consistently going forward and he KNOWS THAT.

There is a different mindset from Nebraska fans the further you LIVE away from Lincoln. Every program has issues...alot way worse than what Nebraska has and they either turned it around or trying to with a different coach. It's 2021......NO MORE EXCUSES!

Anyone who had to come in here to straighten what was left from Eichorst/Riley 3 years here needed to be given adequate time with a bigger contract…. It just so happens SF was the best candidate to do so..

Defense returns pretty much intact with nice additions in Kolarevic and Johnson. Signs of life in the WR and RB rooms. Martinez has trimmed up. If the RB and WR play grades up, I hope to see Adrian’s play being more in line with his freshman year.

There was much mentioned of Scott trying to hard to get along with the players . This will have to change for Scott to be the leader. Tom Landry once said “ it is my job to get you too do the things you don’t want to do, to get you to achieve to the things you want to achieve”
Good advice. I interview for a RVP job with a Texan one time, and he told me (in a very deep drawl) during the interview: "We can be friendly, but we can't be friends. Because someday I may have to fire your ass."

I've never forgotten those words.

I am not sorry when I say this, If Frost doesn't win 6 games this year, he should be fired. Four straight loosing seasons is unacceptable at Nebraska, hell the only reason he is getting a fourth years is because of who he is.

I seriously hope he turns the ship around this year and he throws it back in the face of those of us who doubted him. Prove me wrong Scott, please.

Question for Husker fans… With your AD apparently being forced to retire, is this a message to Frost that he has to win this year or he is gone?

Question for Husker fans… With your AD apparently being forced to retire, is this a message to Frost that he has to win this year or he is gone?
Not exactly that, but his protection is gone, and the new guy won't be bound to verbal committments made by Moos to Frost. The new guy will have his own "message to Frost" and it might be as you said "win or GTFO".

Not exactly that, but his protection is gone, and the new guy won't be bound to verbal committments made by Moos to Frost. The new guy will have his own "message to Frost" and it might be as you said "win or GTFO".
Or it could be "since I played on the same team as you, I will give you an even longer leash than the one you already have on."

It may take time but what other choice do we have. Change is always risky.
We don't really have a choice in the near term, he has a huge buyout, too many people are still in his corner (including TO), and we can't stand anymore churn in the football/athletic program. We are like a woman stuck in an abusive marriage she can't get out of.

I am not sorry when I say this, If Frost doesn't win 6 games this year, he should be fired. Four straight loosing seasons is unacceptable at Nebraska, hell the only reason he is getting a fourth years is because of who he is.

I seriously hope he turns the ship around this year and he throws it back in the face of those of us who doubted him. Prove me wrong Scott, please.
Yes. Frost has a good, experienced roster this year. Not outstanding but definitely capable of 8 wins even with this schedule. Why would fans expect great improvements in the near future if he can't even break .500 in '21? I think we finally break this shitty cycle and qualify for a decent bowl. If not, it's gonna get real ugly.

I honestly don't know what to think about Frost. I want to believe he's a good coach. I want to believe he's the guy. I want to believe he's not an inflexible, ornery, headstrong egomaniac. I want to believe all these things directly in the face of mounting evidence to the contrary.

fact is: Husker football & all the news surrounding it bums me out. I completely agree with the guy who said we are desperate for something, anything positive to take place on the field. I am so sick of seeing us get our balls booted up into our throats every single Saturday.

I honestly don't know what to think about Frost. I want to believe he's a good coach. I want to believe he's the guy. I want to believe he's not an inflexible, ornery, headstrong egomaniac. I want to believe all these things directly in the face of mounting evidence to the contrary.

fact is: Husker football & all the news surrounding it bums me out. I completely agree with the guy who said we are desperate for something, anything positive to take place on the field. I am so sick of seeing us get our balls booted up into our throats every single Saturday.
I agree with this 100%. Husker fans WANT to believe in Frost. We desperately need a good season.

Good fan stuff. Come in this board as it reminds me of what the early OU boards must have looked like in '96-'97. Slaughtered by the Huskers. Hanging on to an OU player as the coach who was a decent recruiter but could not coach his way out of a paper bag. Then a miracle. Get Joe C. as athletic director, brings in Stoops and Leach and things take off. Only took a year. So it could happen. But Riley did a much better job than Stoops in shoring up the D. Firing Mike Stoops a big part of it. Tough choices. So maybe things will start improving for the Huskers. You all deserve a break.

This has been me the last couple of years

tenor.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT