ADVERTISEMENT

Scott Frost vs Dan Hawkins

HuskerAlum92

First Team All-Big Ten
Jan 8, 2007
Living and working in Boulder in 2009, I remember that it was unanimously agreed that Dan Hawkins would not succeed as CU’s football coach. And yet CU brought him back for a 5th season because it would make the buyout cheaper. I remember thinking how pathetic that was, to delay a reset that was so obviously needed.

Let’s compare the first 3 seasons…
Hawkins: 2-10, 6-6*, 5-7 : overall 36.1%
Frost: 4-8, 5-7, 3-5 (COVID) : overall 37.5%

Frost ever so slightly better by win %. Given the COVID year eliminated non-conference games which should mean 1-2 easier wins, that gap in Frost’s benefit is slightly higher.

However, Hawkins did get his team to a bowl game which is more than Frost’s high water mark. His win over #3 Oklahoma is also significantly better than Frost’s best HC game for NU. That more than neutralizes a small difference in overall win %. But, neither had any momentum entering year 4.

Year 4…
Hawkins: 3-9
Frost: 0-1 so far

If Frost goes 3-9 this year, will we pull the trigger? Or pull a CU? I would ask if we will end up with something better than Jon Embree, but I don’t even want to go there.

I'm pretty confident that Scott Frost is already unofficially fired behind closed doors and they are working on a list or reaching out to people.

But yes as the saying goes, gotta let the season play out as frustrating as it is to wait.
If we’re 2-2 going into the Michigan St and Northwestern games..Trev will know where he stands for sure after those 2 games..

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
The NCAA rules "violation" of off-site workouts is what the university will use to void his contract. The infraction may be a nothing in most cases, but it's the pathway to both firing Frost and avoiding the payout.

I was at The Hawk's final game, the amazing choke job at KU in 2010. What an epic collapse. CU up 45-17 with 12 minutes left but loses 52-45 in regulation. Turner Gill outcoached him. Turner f-ing Gill.

Living and working in Boulder in 2009, I remember that it was unanimously agreed that Dan Hawkins would not succeed as CU’s football coach. And yet CU brought him back for a 5th season because it would make the buyout cheaper. I remember thinking how pathetic that was, to delay a reset that was so obviously needed.

Frost ever so slightly better by win %. Given the COVID year eliminated non-conference games which should mean 1-2 easier wins, that gap in Frost’s benefit is slightly higher.

However, Hawkins did get his team to a bowl game which is more than Frost’s high water mark. His win over #3 Oklahoma is also significantly better than Frost’s best HC game for NU. That more than neutralizes a small difference in overall win %. But, neither had any momentum entering year 4.

Year 4…

If Frost goes 3-9 this year, will we pull the trigger? Or pull a CU? I would ask if we will end up with something better than Jon Embree, but I don’t even want to go there.
The Hawk was 3-5 in that final year (2010) going into the game at KU, the 52-45 come-from-ahead defeat that sealed his fate. Brian Cabral took over and beat both ISU and KSU to give CU a chance at a bowl if they were to beat NU, but we won big with Rex Burkhead and Cody Green playing QB. I really liked Cabral, and the Hawk didn't bother me much either, despite the lame attempts to dis Nebraska.

The NCAA rules "violation" of off-site workouts is what the university will use to void his contract. The infraction may be a nothing in most cases, but it's the pathway to both firing Frost and avoiding the payout.
He already laid out his defense and that was that it was done with the full knowledge and approval of the previous AD. Assuming that's true he might have an argument given the fact that he works for and has a contract with the university athletic department and not the NCAA. In other words if he received direction from the university that this was O.k., it's pretty hard for the university to argue now that it wasn't. Let's be honest. The only reason the university would push this narrative that he did something wrong in breach of contract is because he isn't winning football games and they'd be trying to avoid a buyout payment. That would be obvious to all involved.

Colorado has a pretty cash-poor athletic department, so this move might have made more sense for them. I remember when Ricardo Patton, a mediocre BB coach with an inflated opinion of himself, demanded an extension from CU as he entered the last year of his contract. Patton even said if he didn't get the extension, he would not return the following year. The AD called his bluff and let Patton coach out the season as a lame duck.

I think we will beat both Fordham and Buffalo. But the OU game will be one of the ugliest in recent memory. The knives will be out after that game. It will be a complete humiliation.

He already laid out his defense and that was that it was done with the full knowledge and approval of the previous AD. Assuming that's true he might have an argument given the fact that he works for and has a contract with the university athletic department and not the NCAA. In other words if he received direction from the university that this was O.k., it's pretty hard for the university to argue now that it wasn't. Let's be honest. The only reason the university would push this narrative that he did something wrong in breach of contract is because he isn't winning football games and they'd be trying to avoid a buyout payment. That would be obvious to all involved.
Other schools have done it too. Nobody should trust a word Scott Frost says anymore.

I'm pretty confident that Scott Frost is already unofficially fired behind closed doors and they are working on a list or reaching out to people.

But yes as the saying goes, gotta let the season play out as frustrating as it is to wait.
What gives you that idea that he is already fired

What gives you that idea that he is already fired
I don’t know… maybe SF’s lousy record has something to do with it? Maybe that he never seems to have the Offense prepared to play even in year 4? The worst HC at Nebraska in the last 20 years? If he wasn’t SF, he’d be gone two years ago!

I don’t know… maybe SF’s lousy record has something to do with it? Maybe that he never seems to have the Offense prepared to play even in year 4? The worst HC at Nebraska in the last 20 years? If he wasn’t SF, he’d be gone two years ago!
I just read where SF stated he got outcoached by Bielema. What the Hell? What is to gain by that admission? Is he seeking us fans sympathy or does he think that is a valid excuse for losing last Saturday? Start putting your players in winning situations. Maybe find someone who can punt, kick PATs and have some brains when it comes to fielding punts. (How many games does Cam get to F up before he is pulled at punt returns?). Run the ball and mix in short, quick-hitting passes. Adrian is not a drop back passer. (I bet half this board could design an offense that would work better than what they are calling).

Update 9/1/2021. I just listened to SF’s press conference. He won’t change. When asked about Cam returning punts he responded by saying he loves Cam like a son, stating he is a captain and a Blackshirt. In other words Cam’s actual performance is not the deciding factor on him returning punts rather what is more important is his stature on the team. Winning requires putting these players in the best situation to win.

Last edited:
I just read where SF stated he got outcoached by Bielema. What the Hell? What is to gain by that admission? Is he seeking us fans sympathy or does he think that is a valid excuse for losing last Saturday? Start putting your players in winning situations. Maybe find someone who can punt, kick PATs and have some brains when it comes to fielding punts. (How many games does Cam get to F up before he is pulled at punt returns?). Run the ball and mix in short, quick-hitting passes. Adrian is not a drop back passer. (I bet half this board could design an offense that would work better than what they are calling).
I agree with all your points. I appreciate his honesty but SF is in over his head if he has no contingency plans and is unable to adjust in game. He is a JV level coach in a big boy league. Maybe in 20 years he can learn to be more competitive?

Year 4…

Anything less than a bowl game is fireable offense. No improvement

I think we will beat both Fordham and Buffalo. But the OU game will be one of the ugliest in recent memory. The knives will be out after that game. It will be a complete humiliation.
I’m not saying NU is going to win, but OU has been absolutely plagued by injuries so far this year. It may not be crazy bad.

If you care about the buyout you are a weirdo.

He signed a contract, he should get his money. Don't blame him for taking money that someone promised him.

Reactions: oldjar07
Is the Texas tech score of 77-10 in jeopardy?
No. Frost won't do what Callahan did where he threw in a new QB and then proceeded to keep throwing the ball with interceptions being the result. And Oklahoma will clear its bench and will be playing its fourth string by the middle of the third quarter.

Exactly. And the longer they wait, the more obvious it will be that they are firing him for losing games and not because of the off campus work outs or using an analyst as a coach.

ADVERTISEMENT