ADVERTISEMENT

Scott Frost on the new recruiting....

donahues17

Recruiting Coordinator
Nov 5, 2005
Reactions: Redblood23
Not sure if this has been posted yet or not, I seen it on Facebook. I somewhat agree with him but then again, I doubt he had a shot at any of these types of players. If he did, I am sure he would take them. But I do like the "I want kids that want to play for UCF" rather than kids that want to be primadonas and be recruited.

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=Scott-Frost-I-dont-want-kids-who-want-to-be-recruited
I heard all that the other day. Interesting comments considering he flipped a bunch of kids last minute. He may not like it, but he seems to be some of the same things he despises.

I heard all that the other day. Interesting comments considering he flipped a bunch of kids last minute. He may not like it, but he seems to be some of the same things he despises.
There isn't a coach in America who loves recruiting. They know it's a necessary evil and the life blood of the program. Most coaches have a pretty big ego because they were ex athletes. The last thing they want to do is suck up to an 18 year old kid. I bet some kids are in for a real shock when practice rolls around, and it's not all about them anymore.

There isn't a coach in America who loves recruiting. They know it's a necessary evil and the life blood of the program. Most coaches have a pretty big ego because they were ex athletes. The last thing they want to do is suck up to an 18 year old kid. I bet some kids are in for a real shock when practice rolls around, and it's not all about them anymore.
Did I say that? I pointed out his hypocrisy. If he wants to complain about it, I am sure Husker fans will eat that up like some kind of badge of honor. He should follow with actions showing he is above it.

Did I say that? I pointed out his hypocrisy. If he wants to complain about it, I am sure Husker fans will eat that up like some kind of badge of honor. He should follow with actions showing he is above it.
It's hard for me to call him a hypocrite because I don't know how he flipped them. If he was honest in what he told them and every other recruit he has recruited, I wouldn't call him a hypocrite. He basically said he doesn't like the circus. It actually sounded like something Bo would have said, so most people on this board should bash away.

If your read the article, he said in the first paragraph of the article that won't be the norm in the long-term. But he only had a month to put together this recruiting class after an 0-12 season, so was willing to make a couple exceptions.

Let's keep it simple. I agree with the statements he made whether he had to do differently or not.

What are you reading? There isn't any hypocrisy I can read onto his interview.

Kinda looks like he just complained about the most important part of the new job on practically the first day of the new job. I am sure his new bosses were thrilled to read that. Him wanting to find kids who want to play for UCF and not be "recruited" seems like a tall order, I hope "recruiting" is at least plan B if that falls through.

But whadda bout that pic in the article? Didn't do Frost any favors with that. I didn't know he coild even take a bad pic.

Kinda looks like he just complained about the most important part of the new job on practically the first day of the new job. I am sure his new bosses were thrilled to read that. Him wanting to find kids who want to play for UCF and not be "recruited" seems like a tall order, I hope "recruiting" is at least plan B if that falls through.

But whadda bout that pic in the article? Didn't do Frost any favors with that. I didn't know he coild even take a bad pic.
OK put it in perspective. Alabama has recruits who want to go to Alabama and there aren't many doing the hats on the table bit.

What are you reading? There isn't any hypocrisy I can read onto his interview.
You have to have a basic understanding of what he actually did on the last couple days of the recruiting cycle. It's understandable that some coach-only fans of Nebraska won't understand it, it takes a basic knowledge of actual events to get it (something you lack) The article had nothing to do with his actions being different than his words.

You have to have a basic understanding of what he actually did on the last couple days of the recruiting cycle. It's understandable that some coach-only fans of Nebraska won't understand it, it takes a basic knowledge of actual events to get it (something you lack) The article had nothing to do with his actions being different than his words.
And what did he do you don't like?

They could end this recruiting bull rap glitz and glamour by conspiring with NFL scouts to come out on draft day and say they go back and look at potential draftees and if they partake in that bullshit they are flagged as a potential ego problem!

And what did he do you don't like?
He complains about kids just wanting to be recruited, says "I want kids that only want to play here" then actively goes out and flips multiple kids that were already verballed? Only a Husker fan with blinders on would not see that is hypocritical.

He complains about kids just wanting to be recruited, says "I want kids that only want to play here" then actively goes out and flips multiple kids that were already verballed? Only a Husker fan with blinders on would not see that is hypocritical.
Try to get the whole meaning.
"Long-term, I don’t want to recruit a lot of guys here who are going to be prima-donnas and wait until the last day to put four or five hats on a table and keep teams hostage to wait and see what they’re going to do. I want kids who want to be at UCF, not kids that want to be recruited."
There is nothing in there about flipping and kids who flip see more in the new school then the one who initially pressed him to say yes. They aren't prima-donnas.

His biggest slam was directed at Harbaugh and the circus he created. He also doesn't appreci
I thought his biggest beef was with the Harbaugh theatrics. I don't have a problem with him flipping kids at the last minute. Hell he just completed his staff and barely had any time to recruit. I get his point though about kids that commit but still want to keep taking trips. IF you commit, you should be done. IF you want to take more visits, don't commit. Pretty simple. IF it takes a dog and pony show to win you over, you probably aren't worth the headache you're gonna cause although that DT that Michigan got may be....

His biggest slam was directed at Harbaugh and the circus he created. He also doesn't appreci

I thought his biggest beef was with the Harbaugh theatrics. I don't have a problem with him flipping kids at the last minute. Hell he just completed his staff and barely had any time to recruit. I get his point though about kids that commit but still want to keep taking trips. IF you commit, you should be done. IF you want to take more visits, don't commit. Pretty simple. IF it takes a dog and pony show to win you over, you probably aren't worth the headache you're gonna cause although that DT that Michigan got may be....
You don't think flipping kids after saying they should not take visits or be done after commiting isn't a little hypocritical? It has nothing to do with his hiring process or staff. If those kids are that wishy-washy I would think he would not want them anyway (or so he says)

Last edited by a moderator:
It is a nice theory to have and it may work at a smaller school to a point. But if and or when he makes it to a major program as a head coach (some want him here) it wont work. He will take a 4 or 5 star that wants a little attention.

To the poster who mentioned Bama, those kids want to play for Bama because they are dominant right now. Wait til Saban retires and they fall off the cliff again, it will change and the next school in line will get the kids that "want to play there".

You don't think flipping kids after saying they should not take visits or be done after commiting isn't a little hypocritical? It has nothing to do with his hiring process or staff. If those kids are that wishy-washy I would think he would not want them anyway (or so he says)
No hypocrisy in the least.

Reactions: Big Red Menace
So what he said is I'm different, you won't see me doing that - - - - unless I need to. Detractors see hypocrisy in that. Supporters think its pragmatic. Sure its a nice sentiment. And, I assume its pretty easy to say when you are at UCF. I haven't seen many (or any) of those press conferences with a UCF hat on the table. But the bottom line is he isn't really different than every other coach. If you think he's going to walk that talk, you are pretty naïve, IMO.

You guys are making his comments into too big of a deal I think. He wants guys who are ready to come in and work, and he thinks the guys who make the recruiting process into a big circus are less likely to have that attitude. The fact that he flipped some guys at the end of the process doesn't really factor into that to me.

The issue with (part of) what he is saying is that, whether he intended for it sound like that or not, it comes off that he is saying that kids who take things to the end are prima donnas. The irony is that back when he was a recruit (before a recruit's every movement was tracked by recruiting sites and in social media) taking all or most of your visits and waiting towards the end to make a decision was the norm. Sure some of these kids are prima donnas or whatever...but some kids are actually trying to gather as much information as possible and make an educated decision that EFFECTS THE REST OF THEIR LIFE...any notion that all these kids (or even most) are trying to hold a school "hostage" is actually kind of offensive.

A number of years ago a recruit's father said something that should be told to every recruit...when his kid did not sign on NSD the father said..."National Signing Day is the first day you can sign, not the last!" But once a year, whether it is just a simple press conference or something more, coaches from around the country announce their prize recruiting class, talk them up like they have all already accomplished something and if it is impressive enough boosters open their check books. Yes, what Scott Frost said is hypocritical...why is he (and all coaches) holding the kid "hostage" with a single date in February...because you very well know that unless the kid is a top 10 or so kid that the coach will looking to fill that spot with someone on NSD and not wait...why Scott...because you need to exploit the moment that is NSD so you can get boosters to open their wallets and/or create more excitement for season tickets? Why not just wait to release the name when you release your fall roster?

Yes, there are some kids who fall in love with the process. Why wouldn't some...they get told how great they are by famous coaches, get treated like kings on visits, have had a whole set of media built around where they will attend school, etc. But they didn't build this...you can actually argue that the kids are the ones being held "hostage" by a system where you have coaches, boosters, fans etc practically begging them to commit. But at the end of the day the person whose life is most impacted by the decision is the kid himself. So...Scott...if a kid wants to take all his visits and make his decision as late as possible (meaning as late as he thinks is possible because the way things are they feel NSD is a hard deadline) then let them do it and don't question their integrity...

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT