ADVERTISEMENT

Scott Frost needs to be fired but why did he fail?

antirowboat

Junior
Jan 30, 2021
Anyone is free to post their thoughts on why Scott Frost failed as the head coach. My thoughts are in no specific order.....

1: When he signed AM he said he would live and die with AM. As he goes, they both go type of thing. If I remember correctly, Frost had two QB's committed before he even coached his first game at Nebraska. Since then he only signed 3 QB's. He never created an environment of competition and one of the three QB's he recruited already left the program.

2: Terrible assistant hires. Florida would not allow him to bring his entire staff. Nebraska did and it was the wrong thing to do. There isn't a single elite recruiter on this coaching staff and most of them have no business coaching in the Big Ten.

3: Failing to create an identity right out of the game in the first game. After 3 years and 5 games into the 4th season, there is no identity in the offense. Are we still UCF or an option offense?

4: Using the wrong schemes for the OL and as part of that not believing in the importance of establishing a Big Ten rushing attack. These one cut and go bull shit schemes are fine for the Sun Belt, but not the Big Ten. In the Big Ten you need to allow your blockers to get on the defenders, push them back, create the whole, know you are going to get hit, and create yards after contact. You have to run and run and run to wear down a defense in the Big Ten.

5: Not putting a major emphasis on special teams. When you hire some young 20-year-old kid as an analyst to run the defense, it shows the head coach doesn't believe in the importance of that side of a football game. "oh, just snap the ball and kick?????" WTF?

6: Recruiting. Spamming out 400 plus offers in every class shows the coaches are not recruiting to an identity, but rather throwing out offers to find low-hanging fruit. For the 2022 class, the low-hanging fruit is so low it's turning out to be the worst class in the Big Ten.

7: No accountability. No discipline.

Plenty of other reasons, but IMO, those are major errors and it's going to end up in Frost being fired.

We gave Frost plenty of time and support to fix things. He just didn't get it done.

I honestly feel sorry for you for how much of your life you dedicate to being upset about a bunch of 20 year olds you’ve never met playing a game.

We obviously all love Husker football here. It’s a fun community event. We all get emotionally invested to an extent. But man… do you have a job? A wife? Kids? Cuz you must spend hours writing 20-30 posts each day on here. On that’s probably just your count on an average Tuesday.

I'll add a couple:

Arrogance —he came in here thinking his way was going to light up the B1G. He's been slow to adjust/adapt realize he needs to alter his thinking.

Off-Field Issues—while I don't believe all of the stuff, there's enough smoke to know there's some fire. It had to be wearing on/distracting him. Hopefully he is cleaning those up for his own sake.

I honestly feel sorry for you for how much of your life you dedicate to being upset about a bunch of 20 year olds you’ve never met playing a game.

We obviously all love Husker football here. It’s a fun community event. We all get emotionally invested to an extent. But man… do you have a job? A wife? Kids? Cuz you must spend hours writing 20-30 posts each day on here. On that’s probably just your count on an average Tuesday.
Stupid post. I work full-time, have a family, make a good living. Now let's debate the topic.

Stupid post. I work full-time, have a family, make a good living. Now let's debate the topic.
20 posts per day. 5 mins to write a post. I assume you’ve gotta spend at least that amount of time reading other posts. That’s 3.5 hours a day just spent on a free board.

I’d guess you’re also spending time watching highlights, listening to radio or podcasts, reading articles. You might be spending upwards of 5 hours every day being pissed at 20 year olds. Yikes!

20 posts per day. 5 mins to write a post. I assume you’ve gotta spend at least that amount of time reading other posts. That’s 3.5 hours a day just spent on a free board.

I’d guess you’re also spending time watching highlights, listening to radio or podcasts, reading articles. You might be spending upwards of 5 hours every day being pissed at 20 year olds. Yikes!
5 minutes to write a post? You challenged? It's literally taking me less than 5 seconds to make this post.

5 minutes to write a post? You challenged? It's literally taking me less than 5 seconds to make this post.
Thanks for admitting you put no thought and lots of emotion into everything you write.

If you didn’t spend at least 10 minutes on the long post to start this thread, you’re more unstable than I originally imagined.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Anyone is free to post their thoughts on why Scott Frost failed as the head coach. My thoughts are in no specific order.....

1: When he signed AM he said he would live and die with AM. As he goes, they both go type of thing. If I remember correctly, Frost had two QB's committed before he even coached his first game at Nebraska. Since then he only signed 3 QB's. He never created an environment of competition and one of the three QB's he recruited already left the program.

2: Terrible assistant hires. Florida would not allow him to bring his entire staff. Nebraska did and it was the wrong thing to do. There isn't a single elite recruiter on this coaching staff and most of them have no business coaching in the Big Ten.
It seems like there is a lot of live or die with SF. With his staff and key players, it seems like he decides to ride with someone and that's that.
When I worked in a corporate environment there was a clique of people around management. They were of varying quality, but it was obvious who was in and who was not.
When business was good things worked OK. When business was tough I think this style of management organization creates even more problems.
The core is protected initially, but their limited abilities eventually catch up to them.

Also, high level CFB head coaching requires a micromanager or someone who is very good at picking assistants. It helps if they have assistants they can trust, but ultimately they are responsible for a huge number of things regarding how the team is run: recruiting, development, roster management, game planning, staff management, PR, etc. It takes a special kind of person to do all that. Don't think that's SF; he isn't is a dummy, but it takes a certain type of person to manage all that. He put on a good face initially but he isn't it.

Last edited:
Reactions: cecilB
Thanks for admitting you put no thought and lots of emotion into everything you write.

If you didn’t spend at least 10 minutes on the long post to start this thread, you’re more unstable than I originally imagined.
You are a weird person. If it takes you 10 minutes to type out thoughts, that is on you.

3: Failing to create an identity right out of the game in the first game. After 3 years and 5 games into the 4th season, there is no identity in the offense. Are we still UCF or an option offense?

4: Using the wrong schemes for the OL and as part of that not believing in the importance of establishing a Big Ten rushing attack. These one cut and go bull shit schemes are fine for the Sun Belt, but not the Big Ten. In the Big Ten you need to allow your blockers to get on the defenders, push them back, create the whole, know you are going to get hit, and create yards after contact. You have to run and run and run to wear down a defense in the Big Ten.

5: Not putting a major emphasis on special teams. When you hire some young 20-year-old kid as an analyst to run the defense, it shows the head coach doesn't believe in the importance of that side of a football game. "oh, just snap the ball and kick?????" WTF?

6: Recruiting. Spamming out 400 plus offers in every class shows the coaches are not recruiting to an identity, but rather throwing out offers to find low-hanging fruit. For the 2022 class, the low-hanging fruit is so low it's turning out to be the worst class in the Big Ten.

Plenty of other reasons, but IMO, those are major errors and it's going to end up in Frost being fired.

We gave Frost plenty of time and support to fix things. He just didn't get it done.
1) Arrogance. Announcing the Big 10 would need to adapt to him, and failing to prepare adequately. He believed his hype.
2) Marrying Adrian Martinez and not seeking/allowing other options to develop. “You think he is better than what we got?”
3) Too many recruiting misses and transfers.
4) Endless penalties
5) Bad special teams
6) The contract extension…suddenly he had a golden parachute or nearly endless runway, which showed up in his failure to fix the issues above. He coached like he had an eternity to get things right because we let him think that.

Meh. Some are more invested than others, but I get where the poster is coming from. If it was just "a bunch of 20 year olds...playing a game," Frost and staff wouldn't be making the amount of money they make.

Like it or not, Nebraska has no professional teams. So, Nebraska football is essentially the Cubs, Bears, Blackhawks, etc., all rolled into one. Much/most of those players are still in their 20s. Frankly, I think it's somewhat trivial to get too emotionally invested in any sport.

To me, it's more about the principle of the matter at this point. I've gotten used to watching Nebraska lose, feeling bad/frustrated for about 5-10 minutes, then go about my day.

But last night's head-scratching implosion was different. Again, when you think about it, Frost and staff get paid a shitload of $ for one thing: to make "a bunch of 20 year-olds" play and win. It's no different than any professional organization firing a coach for subpar performance.

In the end, it's all about revenue generation for both college and professional sports. The fact that some attach their personal identities a little too much to a particular team is essentially irrelevant.

I believe this is why many want that faux sellout streak to end. It implies Nebraska fans are still spending their $ to support an organization that, well, sucks right now. Going back to the Cubs reference, just look at the attendance for this year.

Overall, people do not want to spend their money to watch a team suck. Cubs lose revenue. And the higher-ups have to mull whether to continue the course of losing said revenue. This usually results in a change in management.

Thus, Nebraska football is no different than any professional sports organization. People pay to see a good performance. When the performance is shit, they don't pay to see the performance.

Reactions: RothMatt
It doesn’t matter. Rather than spending countless hours rehashing why someone is failing, it’s time to focus on possible new leaders who can get it done. What we’ve witnessed since SF took over has really disappointing to say the least. We were all pulling for him but it’s not happening and if he could have fixed it, he already would have. Time to move on. Who would you hire as the next football coach for the Huskers? GBR.

Reactions: scarletred
The clown-car approach to rotation at WR and particularly at RB is the biggest issue to me. We never allow players to get into a rhythm, which hurts development.

Reactions: kidofSN
Its so funny when anyone questions Scott Frost, rather than debate they just get all triggered send insults. I don't know yet if he should or should not be fired, but I definitely think there is nothing wrong with a healthy debate. So instead of sending insults, tell everyone what he has done that gives you faith things will get better.

1) Keeping his entire staff from the College of Hair Design.
2) Chasing off three quarterbacks before the first spring practice of his first year.
3) Too many recruiting misfires and/or not doing enough to retain the guys he did sign.
4) Not nearly enough emphasis on fundamentals. Winning with fewer penalties, turnovers, special teams mistakes.

Losing six straight right out of the gate his first year was proof he had only done about 10% of the work necessary to get the team ready to play. The coaches had failed in every aspect of the game.

He might have come into this job as one of the most arrogant people on the planet. When he answers a question regarding what adjustments he might need to make in order to be successful in the B1G with the statement that the rest of the conference is going to have to adjust to him you knew where this was going. He's the smartest person in the room. Always has been. Always will be. Just ask him.

#7 is the biggest issue and the main reason he failed. #2 is a close second. Combine these two issues and you get very bad results.

1. I agree with. He hitched his wagon and it is killing him

2. THe defensive staff is decent. His offensive staff is bad, but Fisher has had a lot of offers and as much as people bitch about Chins he is a decent coach. The LB'er group has all got better, so I really have no problem with the defensive side. After the coordinators at the big schools can you really name the lower end coaches?

3. I get the identity issue, but probably wouldn't have that if we had a good QB. We don't have to be only one thing. I don't mind CSF scheme, just needs a good QB to execute it.

4. Arm chair QB's don't know what is happening here. The OL scheme is fine, need a coach here.

5. Yes

6. He's recruited at a decent level. Is it elite? No, but he's had good classes on paper and his last two are actually showing some things.

7. Yes

Frost is like every other coach and is very hard headed and failed to change. He isn't the first or last, but to me his biggest mistake was hitching his wagon to Martinez and not getting another QB, but also just the attention to detail. At a big boy program you have to be really engaged. I think that Trev has helped him here since his hire.

Its so funny when anyone questions Scott Frost, rather than debate they just get all triggered send insults. I don't know yet if he should or should not be fired, but I definitely think there is nothing wrong with a healthy debate. So instead of sending insults, tell everyone what he has done that gives you faith things will get better.
It's interesting that you would feel the need to dredge back up a month old thread where antirowboat staked his original position to fire Frost. For the past several weeks he's been extolling Frost's virtues and how he's the the guy for the job. Then one game apparently changes his mind to the other extreme once again.

It's interesting that you would feel the need to dredge back up a month old thread where antirowboat staked his original position to fire Frost. For the past several weeks he's been extolling Frost's virtues and how he's the the guy for the job. Then one game apparently changes his mind to the other extreme once again.
This.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT