ADVERTISEMENT

Scott Frost is the worst playcaller on the planet in the Red Zone

It is pretty ridiculous. You're at the 3 yard line, get behind center. You literally need less than 1 yard per play. Not stupid gimmick BS.

They got the touchdown but damn, he sure does make getting 3 yards in 4 plays really difficult.
When we line up and run up the middle and teams know we are doing that, they load the box and overwhelm our blockers. Our blockers struggle one on one as it is... no chance to gain yards up the middle when the opponents load the box. We aren’t good enough.

It is really frustrating to have Mills carry the ball all the way down the field and then not give it to him at all.

Also, somebody else mentioned Allen. Why not Allen and Rafdal at 6’8 and 6’7 line up and run a fade/jump ball on either side? Rutgers CBs stand 5’11 and 6’0.

It is really frustrating to have Mills carry the ball all the way down the field and then not give it to him at all.

Also, somebody else mentioned Allen. Why not Allen and Rafdal at 6’8 and 6’7 line up and run a fade/jump ball on either side? Rutgers CBs stand 5’11 and 6’0.
On the drive Wandale scored Mils was receiving attention on the sideline from a trainer. Adrian always seems to lock up in the redzone which I think scares Frost into calling much that involves a lot of thinking or passing.

The shovel pass to Hickman was a brutal call on 1st down at the two yard line...
It looked like something the chiefs would do. Andy Reid relies on lots of gadget stuff in the red zone. But Hickman is not Travis Kelce.
It reminded me of the old fake PATs we ran under Osborne in the mid-90s where a fullback was lined up on the edge and would receive a shovel pass from the holder immediately after the snap to take advantage of the hard rush along the outside.

Finally a feel good game and all you naysayers can do is complain but that is what you always do.
There's plenty to critique about what didn't work. There's been plenty of praise as well for the domination in the second half.

I'm satisfied with the win, but a better team has much more than a 6-0 lead on Nebraska. We were fortunate Rutgers didn't punch in a TD early and that they stalled a couple times at the edge of field goal range (credit to our defense on that). That kept us in the game. We go down a couple scores, and this psychologically fragile team may have crumbled.

But something changed at some point in the game with Frost's playcalling that really set the team on a dominant path. This thread, however, is focused on the parts that didn't work.

Like I said, I'm happy with the win, but flummoxed with the red zone playcalling as well, particularly near the goal line.

Reactions: K_Y_E
Wouldnt go under center at the opponents 3 yard line but he did at their own 3 yard line. Dude is ass backwards.

There's plenty to critique about what didn't work. There's been plenty of praise as well for the domination in the second half.

I'm satisfied with the win, but a better team has much more than a 6-0 lead on Nebraska. We were fortunate Rutgers didn't punch in a TD early and that they stalled a couple times at the edge of field goal range (credit to our defense on that). That kept us in the game. We go down a couple scores, and this psychologically fragile team may have crumbled.

But something changed at some point in the game with Frost's playcalling that really set the team on a dominant path. This thread, however, is focused on the parts that didn't work.

Like I said, I'm happy with the win, but flummoxed with the red zone playcalling as well, particularly near the goal line.
I think Frost would have run this game plan against better opponents, but it just didn't work, so instead he has to go into his bag of tricks and try to out scheme thrm. There I said it, our coach is a schemer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT