ADVERTISEMENT

Scott Frost Gaining, Retaining More Elite Talent Than Seen in Decades

wkato

Junior
Dec 23, 2006
Waiting for a myriad of posters to list the number of transfers in Frost’s 2+ years here to prove this wrong...

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Really, we would to go back to our championship years to find a similar level of success? Who would have thought.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Waiting for a myriad of posters to list the number of transfers in Frost’s 2+ years here to prove this wrong...

Tranfers are included in the article. As far as the % of 4-stars transferring out, it looks like Frost is actually keeping them around at a similar clip to Pelini and, obviously, much better Riley did:

Pelini: 16/39= 15% left
Riley: 10/15= 67% left
Frost= 4/23= 17% left

He is also bringing them in at a much better rate:

Pelini: 5.6 4-stars per season
Riley: 5.0 4-stars per season
Frost: 7.7 4-stars per season

Guys, Nebraska was in a major free fall before Frost got here. He has not turned it around in 2 years. There have been hiccups. But I believe in the process and think he's the guy to get the job done. I am patient. No coach is going to care more than him about restoring this program.

Great article ... dismal results certainly aren’t a talent/player issue

I see comprehension still isn't your strong suit.

Last year we had 5 classes eligible to compete. The 4 oldest classes gave us a total of 9 4-star players still remaining. 9 TOTAL out of 4 classes. 12 of the 21 had moved on. So tell us again about all this talent....

Last edited:

Last year we had 5 classes eligible to compete. The 4 oldest classes gave us a total of 9 4-star players still remaining. 9 TOTAL out of 4 classes. 12 of the 21 had moved on. So tell us again about all this talent....

i was going to say but you beat me to it, it’s actually quite ridiculous how some guys have their agendas like that.

Riley did pull in some Top 25 range recruiting classes, that he did. But most of those higher rated guys Riley recruited left or didn’t make it at all when Riley was fired. If you take out those 4 star players that didn’t make it at all or transferred out, we’d only pulled in Top 70-75 range classes for those 3 years he was here (as Headcard pointed out, we lost almost 70% of them). Frost DID NOT inherit a bunch of talent. He inherited an absolute disaster of a roster and he had to rebuild our team back up, literally from the ground up.

Frost has brought in as much or more talent then Bill Callahan did for us back in 2005-2007 years. Right now he’s only on year 3 (just completed year 2) and his players were just true freshmen last year (yes I’m not counting the 2018 recruiting class considering he had a month, maybe 2 months to recruit for the Huskers). His 2019 and 2020 classes haven’t had many transfers out of it. When you figure in the 2021 class along with the 2019 and 2020 classes, he is definitely loading the talent up.

Last edited:

You are much nicer than I am. My reply was going to consist mostly of douche and douchebag.
However any of us reply to him however, I'm pretty sure he achieves "release" when he reads enough replies.

I see this being talked about and brought up, so i figured I’d put in the work and show everyone once and for all what type of talent level Scott Frost had when he took over our Huskers via Recruiting rankings. This will show the true level of talent that was available for Frost and this staff had at their disposal.

2018 recruiting class Top 21

Huskers had 9 4 star players total and lost 5 4 star players and lost a grand total of 10 (5 4 stars and 5 3 stars) players all together. With all these players taken out of our class, our Huskers had a Top 89 ranked class from top 21

2017 recruiting class Top 20

Huskers had 7 4 star recruits and all 7 of them left or didn’t make. Huskers lost a grand total of 12 total recruits from that class (7 4 stars and 4 3 stars). With these recruits dismissed from the ranking our Huskers had a Top 99 class from a Top 20 class.

2016 recruiting class Top 24

Huskers had 4 4 star recruits and we lost 2 4 star players. Our Huskers lost a grand total of 10 recruits all together (2 4 stars and 8 3 stars). With these recruits dismissed from our ranking, our Huskers had a Top 77 class from a Top 24 class.

This shows us what type of talent Frost inherited and the level of talent he had to work with. Yes, initially our Huskers recruiting rankings looked good but when you take off the players we lost to transfers or didn’t make it academically or what ever. Our Huskers the last 3 years had a Top 77 class, Top 99 class and a Top 89 class.

Note, the overall rankings would vary because I only figured the Huskers out and no other teams/schools. But it will give us an idea how our class would look. It’s not just about overall ratings as much as overall talent. So again, were is all that talent Frost supposedly had available? He had a grand total of 6 4 star players left on the roster when he took over as our Head Coach.

edited: I figured recruits we had that made it and stayed and added up the recruiting points and compared the grand total of points to the team rankings. Here is the link to the ranking scales and points....https://n.rivals.com/news/rivals-com-football-team-recruiting-rankings-formula

Last edited:
Reactions: HominidHusker
I see this being talked about and brought up, so i figured I’d put in the work and show everyone once and for all what type of talent level Scott Frost had when he took over our Huskers via Recruiting rankings. This will show the true level of talent that was available for Frost and this staff had at their disposal.

Huskers had 9 4 star players total and lost 5 4 star players and lost a grand total of 10 (5 4 stars and 5 3 stars) players all together. With all these players taken out of our class, our Huskers had a Top 89 ranked class from top 21

Huskers had 7 4 star recruits and all 7 of them left or didn’t make. Huskers lost a grand total of 12 total recruits from that class (7 4 stars and 4 3 stars). With these recruits dismissed from the ranking our Huskers had a Top 99 class from a Top 20 class.

Huskers had 4 4 star recruits and we lost 2 4 star players. Our Huskers lost a grand total of 10 recruits all together (2 4 stars and 8 3 stars). With these recruits dismissed from our ranking, our Huskers had a Top 77 class from a Top 24 class.

This shows us what type of talent Frost inherited and the level of talent he as to work with. Yes, initially our Huskers recruiting rankings looked good but when you take off the players we lost to transfers or didn’t make it academically or what ever. Our Huskers the last 3 years had a Top 77 class, Top 99 class and a Top 89 class. So again, were is all that talent Frost supposedly had available?

Please go back and perform the same exercise with the other 76, 98 and 88 teams. Thanks. Looking forward to the detailed breakdown.

Reactions: -LVhusker-
Please go back and perform the same exercise with the other 76, 98 and 88 teams. Thanks. Looking forward to the detailed breakdown.

I don’t care about those team, I’m showing the talent Frost had when he took over our Huskers. Guys like you try and claim he had all this talent and I’m showing he didn’t. Its not even close. Now if you want to do all that, be my guest. And I’ll Adventure out to guess it’s NO WHERE near the difference we had. Again, you want to prove something, you put in the work.

Last edited:
Reactions: bshirt73
I don’t care about those team, I’m showing the talent Frost had when he took over our Huskers. Guys like you try and claim he had all this talent and I’m showing he didn’t. Not even close. Now if you want to do all that, be my guest. And I’ll Adventure out to guess it’s NO WHERE near the difference we had. Again, you want to prove something, you put in the work.

So you reranked the ratings by looking solely at the attrition at Nebraska while ignoring all other teams?

What a sophomoric analysis.

So you reranked the ratings by looking solely at the attrition at Nebraska while ignoring all other teams?

What a sophomoric analysis.

If you say so, I just love proving you wrong is all. And how is it any different then what you’re doing? You are counting players to the roster that aren’t there and I’m taking them off....it’s almost identical....;)

The overall rankings will vary when compared to other teams and players they lost too but it still shows the level of talent we had available. It may not be Top 80-90s but I’m whiling to bet my house we would be ranked in the top 60-70 range if you or someone figured every single team out the way I did the Huskers. Our Huskers lost a lot compared to other teams. It wasn’t so much about team rankings as it was overall talent available.

Last edited:
Tranfers are included in the article. As far as the % of 4-stars transferring out, it looks like Frost is actually keeping them around at a similar clip to Pelini and, obviously, much better Riley did:

Pelini: 16/39= 15% left
Riley: 10/15= 67% left
Frost= 4/23= 17% left

He is also bringing them in at a much better rate:

Pelini: 5.6 4-stars per season
Riley: 5.0 4-stars per season
Frost: 7.7 4-stars per season

How does 16/39=15%? My calculator says its 41%.

Apparently some thought I was making a smart remark. It was the comparison that caught my attention.

The formula is pretty straight forward, getting there isn't.

1. Great coaching
2. Great athletes
3. Combination of 1 & 2

To go back to our "most recent championships" as evidence seems like picking low hanging fruit.

This shows us what type of talent Frost inherited and the level of talent he had to work with. Yes, initially our Huskers recruiting rankings looked good but when you take off the players we lost to transfers or didn’t make it academically or what ever. Our Huskers the last 3 years had a Top 77 class, Top 99 class and a Top 89 class.

Note, the overall rankings would vary because I only figured the Huskers out and no other teams/schools. But it will give us an idea how our class would look. It’s not just about overall ratings as much as overall talent. So again, were is all that talent Frost supposedly had available? He had a grand total of 6 4 star players left on the roster when he took over as our Head Coach.

edited: I figured recruits we had that made it and stayed and added up the recruiting points and compared the grand total of points to the team rankings. Here is the link to the ranking scales and points....https://n.rivals.com/news/rivals-com-football-team-recruiting-rankings-formula
We finished inside the top 20 in both 2018 and 2019 and will do so again this year

We finished inside the top 20 in both 2018 and 2019 and will do so again this year

No doubt, Frost has proven to be a great recruiter and has no problem getting the talent here. 100% agreed. He did that while going 4-8 and 5-7. I can only imagine how he will do winning 8-11 games per season.
Apparently some thought I was making a smart remark. It was the comparison that caught my attention.

The formula is pretty straight forward, getting there isn't.

1. Great coaching
2. Great athletes
3. Combination of 1 & 2

To go back to our "most recent championships" as evidence seems like picking low hanging fruit.

I think everyone would agree. Recipe for titles goes as following

Great coaching #1
level of talent #2
S&C and Player development #3

Take one or two of those away and you very well have a bad team or team that’s not going to compete for titles. I think 100% of us will agree with the old man here. GBR

No doubt, Frost has proven to be a great recruiter and has no problem getting the talent here. 100% agreed. He did that while going 4-8 and 5-7. I can only imagine how he will do winning 8-11 games per season.

I think everyone would agree. Recipe for titles goes as following

Great coaching #1
level of talent #2
S&C and Player development #3

Take one or two of those away and you very well have a bad team or team that’s not going to compete for titles. I think 100% of us will agree with the old man here. GBR

S&C and Player development are in fact part of coaching. Duval is a coach, coaches develop players, position and strength, it all works together.

While other teams obviously suffered attrition, I think this stretch at Nebraska certainly handcuffed Frost. He had a big job to bring in the players he wanted and only now are we going to get a better taste of what a Frost team can do.
We have the opportunity to put more 4* level talent on the field at the same time as we’ve seen in years. It may not shake out exactly that way since a lot of talent is still young, but it’s there.

Culture is being solidified and scheme has had more time to be implemented for all but the newest players (we still have a lot of ‘new’ players).

Duvall has had some time to build up the bodies.

Things are starting to fall into place. Now’s the time to take a big leap forward. It’s make or break time. This season and next represents the fate of the program hanging in the balance. Too many losses and the whole thing may crumble. Pressure is on.

Came here to link this article.

It's a good start in terms of his own recruiting and retention of his recruits. I would like to see it ramp up to average 10+ kids per class signed who are 4*. It would be extra nice for us to sniff some 5* kids once in a while.

The knock is that most of those 4* kids of Riley's left on Scott's watch. Fair or unfair, that's how it happened. The build is happening slowly, but looks like it's happening.

We shall see what we get in terms of a season and progress this year.

So this analysis shows the attrition of Riley's 4 stars that left under Frost? And Pelini's 4 stars that left under Riley? Those players left because the coach that recruited them left and they didn't fit in the new system. Different than just leaving. No way to show that those players wouldn't have had success if Pelini stays or Riley stays.

Secondly, if the talent left on this roster was so depleted, why didn't all of these 4 stars that Frost brought in beat them out?

I have no idea how Brandon Cavanaugh earned a job writing for a living. Even the initial sentence is a total disaster. What is the subject? I don't see that what I think is the subject (the most casusal observer) agrees with the verb. Who or what is intense? A majority of one opinion? Cavanaugh rarely presents interesting subject matter, and it's truly dreadful to read anyway.

The most casual of college football observers have an opinion of Scott Frost today, the majority of them intense.

Reactions: NikkiSixx and WHCSC
Yeah OK lol, you think if we play we aint winning a game...This is laughable at best.

Take a lap or 2 or 10.
I was clearly implying we wouldnt likely play a game by then. Welcome to the ignore list. You're joining quite a few door knobs

S&C and Player development are in fact part of coaching. Duval is a coach, coaches develop players, position and strength, it all works together.

I definitely won’t disagree there. In that case, just add them together and it’s still....Coaching #1, level of Talent #2. You need both to compete for conference and national titles.

Well I agree with you on the fact that Frost did not have a lot of talent to work with. There is no program in the country that has had a higher turnover rate on 4* players than us, and I don't think it is close. However, I do not think "Top 77 class, Top 99 class and a Top 89 class." is an accurate statement. You'd have to include all the kids that left every program to get an accurate location of where we actually finished. There is no way we would be in the Top 25 though with our turnover.

I definitely won’t disagree there. In that case, just add them together and it’s still....Coaching #1, level of Talent #2. You need both to compete for conference and national titles.

"level of talent" .. ie recruiting .. is also part of coaching

so basically it all boils down to coaching

Reactions: huskerssalts
Well I agree with you on the fact that Frost did not have a lot of talent to work with. There is no program in the country that has had a higher turnover rate on 4* players than us, and I don't think it is close. However, I do not think "Top 77 class, Top 99 class and a Top 89 class." is an accurate statement. You'd have to include all the kids that left every program to get an accurate location of where we actually finished. There is no way we would be in the Top 25 though with our turnover.

Agreed, that’s why I said this towards the bottom

“Note, the overall rankings would vary because I only figured the Huskers out and no other teams/schools. But it will give us an idea how our class would look. It’s not just about overall ratings as much as overall talent. So again, were is all that talent Frost supposedly had available? He had a grand total of 6 4 star players left on the roster when he took over as our Head Coach
.“

The main point was showing the talent we lost and didn’t have and I used how our class would have looked without those players as an example. We had somewhere in the range of 20-21 4 stars players in that time frame and we only managed to keep 6 of them. But no, I agree my man. We’d been in the neighborhood of Top 50 to 70 range.

Last edited:
"level of talent" .. ie recruiting .. is also part of coaching

so basically it all boils down to coaching

In that light, it definitely shows why Mike Riley got fired. Hell, Scott Frost is an elite coach. He’s pulled in back to back Top 15 and Top 17 classes while going 4-8 and 5-7 and is currently working on another Top 18 class. Thanks my man. Who says we can’t see eye to eye....;)

In that light, it definitely shows why Mike Riley got fired. Hell, Scott Frost is an elite coach. He’s pulled in back to back Top 15 and Top 17 classes while going 4-8 and 5-7 and is currently working on another Top 18 class. Thanks my man. Who says we can’t see eye to eye....;)

As has been said elite coaching is made up of 3 parts

1. Talent acquisition ... recruiting
2. Talent development
3. Game day planning and coaching

if you are labeling the recruiting as being elite then perhaps #2 and #3 are thus far so lacking that the result is 4-8 and 5-7

he may end up being an elite coach but 3 losing seasons in 4 years as a head coach does not earn you the distinction of being elite ... at least not elite at winning football games

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT