ADVERTISEMENT

Scott Frost and Quads: How Nebraska Will Win With Overloaded Formations

Jul 10, 2018
Fun read!

Scott Frost’s University of Central Floridaoffense was so damn pretty. It was beautiful. The prospect of the 2017 Associated Press Coach of the Year at Nebraska has me excited.

I love how Frost spreads teams out to run the ball, getting advantageous box counts, pulling all sorts of linemen and favoring the run to the pass. (He often talks with a run first mentality) The attack is a delicious layer cake, starting with a small package of tempo plays and building up....

More at Link:

http://insidethepylon.com/pylon-u/t...nebraska-will-win-with-overloaded-formations/

I’m starting to realize just how much we upgraded at coach and it’s got me giddy.

This article is the best 'explain' of the Frost O I have seen.....not a real big X's and O's guy....but this made it understandable .....the complexity is there to see....no wonder Coach Verduzco gives tests on this stuff....wow. Don't know it by instant....don't play.

Who can stop this O??

REALLY looking forward to Akron and the first 'live time runthru'.

Go Big Red!

GoBlue!

Fun read!

Scott Frost’s University of Central Floridaoffense was so damn pretty. It was beautiful. The prospect of the 2017 Associated Press Coach of the Year at Nebraska has me excited.

I love how Frost spreads teams out to run the ball, getting advantageous box counts, pulling all sorts of linemen and favoring the run to the pass. (He often talks with a run first mentality) The attack is a delicious layer cake, starting with a small package of tempo plays and building up....

More at Link:

http://insidethepylon.com/pylon-u/t...nebraska-will-win-with-overloaded-formations/
Great write-up. As I'm into the second paragraph, what I'm thinking is that it's very taxing on a defense and it's designed to make their heads spin. What you think you're getting is rarely what you're actually getting. They make you set up for one thing, then motion into something else forcing you either to declare what the coverage is, or to stay outnumbered.

Urban and other coaches did this to Bo with great success. Little motion told them everything the needed to know and gave them the counts to abuse the defense.

HOWEVER, in order to make the defense's heads spin, our offensive players' heads cannot be spinning. They have to know what to do, when, and at what pace. That's going to take time.

Watching Milton on that first play, nothing really looks open. He buys a little time and then his WR goes to scramble rules and sneaks behind the defenders into a space in the zone. Milton sees it and threads the ball in there for a nice gainer. Auburn did not defend that play badly by any means, that's a very patient, heady play by Milton and his WR.

This why the QB race is going to be won between the ears.

Look how Milton leaves that ball a little short on the 14:25 first quarter play against Navy. If he puts that in stride or out front, he gets picked or gets his guy killed. He leaves it on his back hip in the perfect spot to shield it before the defender can get there.

SMART kid.

Reactions: GoBluePureMichigan
When he starts talking play-action protection I see Osborne's fingerprints. Nebraska would have two guys out in a PA pass pattern and just gash the defense because they had those guys attacking the run so hard.

They'd pull a guard or tackle out in pass pro, cut block guys with the PA fake. Subtle genius that by the time the defense knew what was happening, it was too late.

Man the Memphis defense takes a beating in this article don't they? If I were their DC I'd want this removed from the internet lol

This is a real photo of the Memphis DC.... asking his graduate assistants by the third quarter what Coach Frost's O is doing !!

gallery-1469114627-anigif-enhanced-buzz-4880-1401449246-8.gif

This article is the best 'explain' of the Frost O I have seen.....not a real big X's and O's guy....but this made it understandable .....the complexity is there to see....no wonder Coach Verduzco gives tests on this stuff....wow. Don't know it by instant....don't play.

Who can stop this O??

REALLY looking forward to Akron and the first 'live time runthru'.

Go Big Red!

GoBlue!

I don't mean to be a buzz kill but I remember back in 2004 when Callahan was going to out scheme everyone with the Corn Coast offense. And man I was a believer and convinced that a "MNC" was in sight after seeing all the pre-snap movement and Joe Dailey rush for a TD and then throw for 4 more to go up 35-0 in the middle of the 2nd quarter of the season opener...even if it was against Western Illinois. Then, just as my buzz was wearing off reality set in as Joe went on to throw 4 INTs. I mentioned it was against Western Illinois, right?

In all seriousness, though, thanks for sharing. This time will be different.

October 14 7:1
I don't mean to be a buzz kill but I remember back in 2004 when Callahan was going to out scheme everyone with the Corn Coast offense. And man I was a believer and convinced th

at a "MNC" was in sight after seeing all the pre-snap movement and Joe Dailey rush for a TD and then throw for 4 more to go up 35-0 in the middle of the 2nd quarter of the season opener...even if it was against Western Illinois. Then, just as my buzz was wearing off reality set in as Joe went on to throw 4 INTs. I mentioned it was against Western Illinois, right?

Just sayin.......

2017 UCF
14-0 ...!

I think the water is warm enough to jump in......

Come on jrhuskerdad....we will jump together.....Laughing

08814db9-5990-4534-8f5b-aa54dcf9dd2e.gif

Reactions: jrhuskerdad
My favorite part of the article was not the Quad formation, the Shotgun-style playaction or what Frost was able to do with Milton or Otis Anderson as their Duck R.

My favorite part was the explanation of what Frost said at a UCF clinic, saying that each year he creates wrinkles, new shootoffs off his base schemes, whereas Chip Kelly didn't do that at the Eagles. In other words, he is trying to make Nebraska a moving target.

Obviously a company/brand/organization has to be in sync bottom to top, but (to me) the best companies in any industry are the ones who continue to innovate what they are already good at to make it great and even harder to copy. Internally at Nike, they refer to this as the "Relentless Flow of Product." New products breath life into any brand or company. That's what got me jacked up and out of my chair after reading this.

Last edited:
I don't mean to be a buzz kill but I remember back in 2004 when Callahan was going to out scheme everyone with the Corn Coast offense. And man I was a believer and convinced that a "MNC" was in sight after seeing all the pre-snap movement and Joe Dailey rush for a TD and then throw for 4 more to go up 35-0 in the middle of the 2nd quarter of the season opener...even if it was against Western Illinois. Then, just as my buzz was wearing off reality set in as Joe went on to throw 4 INTs. I mentioned it was against Western Illinois, right?

Callahan did some really good things with his offense. I loved watching it when it was clicking. It was a passing option attack. The problem is he only had the QB to run it for 2 years and never really had a good D to go with it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT