ADVERTISEMENT

Schwelly MLB Draft

Doesn't have big numbers but sure one heck of a versatile b-ball player. Hope he is a first rounder

Reactions: baseball31ne
Would be awesome if he stayed. Imagine if we can keep Povich, schwelly, and drew christo. That would be a heck of a rotation plus have a really good ss. Personally I expect all 3 to be drafted in the first 3-5 rds and all 3 gone but would be cool

Reactions: huskerfan66
I don't really see it. His batting numbers are nowhere close to being a first round pick, especially in the big ten. He's been lights out as a reliever, but relievers pretty much never go in the first round of the draft. Then again, what do I know.

Reactions: huskerfan66
From MLB.com:

No player in this Draft creates more split opinions on whether he has a brighter future as a hitter or pitcher than Schwellenbach. Though the Indians drafted him in the 34th round as a pitcher out of a Michigan high school in 2018, he didn't take the mound in college until this spring because of an elbow injury that he sustained as a prepster and required a ligament repair procedure after his freshman year at Nebraska. He has displayed three quality pitches as a closer in 2021 and some clubs envision him as a mid-rotation starter, while others think he could sneak into the first round as a shortstop.

The Cornhuskers have handled Schwellenbach's arm carefully and had used him for just eight innings through mid-April, but that and fall practice has been enough to show the makings of three plus pitches. He strolls in from shortstop at the end of games and unleashes 94-97 mph fastballs that have peaked at 99, low-80s sliders and mid-80s changeups with power sink. He commands all three offerings well with a simple delivery and definitely has the look of a starter, though it's unclear if he could handle that workload. Scouts have noted some parallels to Jacob deGrom, who barely pitched before his junior year at Stetson.

While everyone loves Schwellenbach's pure stuff on the mound, there's more divergence about his value as a position player, with some teams seeing him fitting in the top two rounds and others valuing him five rounds lower. His biggest backers see him as an improving right-handed hitter who generates huge exit velocities and flashes plus running times, while others see his bat, power and speed as more ordinary. He obviously has a strong arm, and while he has a good internal clock at shortstop, the consensus is that his range is more suited for second or third base.

They have him ranked as their 42nd best draft prospect. Interesting, I had no idea he was so highly regarded.

He's been lights out as a reliever, but relievers pretty much never go in the first round of the draft. Then again, what do I know.
Historically that has been true, but with MLB teams now leaning so heavily on their bullpens, college relievers are attracting more draft attention. Still rare for them to go in Round 1, but not unheard of.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Shaun Marcum at Missouri State was a similar player. Everyday SS, closed games, and then was a starting P for several years in the majors.

Reactions: Cornicator
From MLB.com:

No player in this Draft creates more split opinions on whether he has a brighter future as a hitter or pitcher than Schwellenbach. Though the Indians drafted him in the 34th round as a pitcher out of a Michigan high school in 2018, he didn't take the mound in college until this spring because of an elbow injury that he sustained as a prepster and required a ligament repair procedure after his freshman year at Nebraska. He has displayed three quality pitches as a closer in 2021 and some clubs envision him as a mid-rotation starter, while others think he could sneak into the first round as a shortstop.

The Cornhuskers have handled Schwellenbach's arm carefully and had used him for just eight innings through mid-April, but that and fall practice has been enough to show the makings of three plus pitches. He strolls in from shortstop at the end of games and unleashes 94-97 mph fastballs that have peaked at 99, low-80s sliders and mid-80s changeups with power sink. He commands all three offerings well with a simple delivery and definitely has the look of a starter, though it's unclear if he could handle that workload. Scouts have noted some parallels to Jacob deGrom, who barely pitched before his junior year at Stetson.

While everyone loves Schwellenbach's pure stuff on the mound, there's more divergence about his value as a position player, with some teams seeing him fitting in the top two rounds and others valuing him five rounds lower. His biggest backers see him as an improving right-handed hitter who generates huge exit velocities and flashes plus running times, while others see his bat, power and speed as more ordinary. He obviously has a strong arm, and while he has a good internal clock at shortstop, the consensus is that his range is more suited for second or third base.

They have him ranked as their 42nd best draft prospect. Interesting, I had no idea he was so highly regarded.

After his last few outings, I'm more convinced that he could be a starting pitcher at the next level.

Then again, I'm not a MLB Scout, nor have stayed a Holiday Inn Express lately.

MLB.com's most recent mock doesn't have him in the first round, but does mention that going 20th to the Yankees is a possibility with the Yanks liking him more as a SS than P.

ADVERTISEMENT