ADVERTISEMENT

Schwellenbach.....

dinglefritz

Nebraska Legend
Jan 14, 2011
That guy had maybe the single best all around performance I've ever seen from a college baseball player last night. Wow. IMO, NU would have been smacked down without him. Granted it's a team game and plenty of other guys contributed but dang, that guy was clutch last night. What a player. ONE guy can be the difference between a sub .500 season or a conference championship in all of the big 3 Power 5 sports. Schwellenbach is THAT guy. Erstad found a great one in this guy. Now if the football team can just get ONE guy like that to step up and be the difference maker we need there,.

Yea i keep hoping/praying that the Huskers have more in the tank for tonight.

Although the flip side of this is Arkansas is the one under-the=gun this evening - whatever we do from here on out is gravy.

All pressure is on Arkansas, Huskers should play loose. Completely agree with Schwellenbach, Guy plays with some stones.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
All pressure is on Arkansas, Huskers should play loose. Completely agree with Schwellenbach, Guy plays with some stones.
Pretty cool, but he's that guy you look to when you need something big to happen and will come through more often than not.

Great player, but this team wouldn’t be below .500 without him.
Just about every game heard or watched this year he had clutch hits or saved our ass in a relief role. I'm not sure if we would have been over .500 with him or not. No way to know for sure but man he contributed immensely to this team's success.

Just about every game heard or watched this year he had clutch hits or saved our ass in a relief role. I'm not sure if we would have been over .500 with him or not. No way to know for sure but man he contributed immensely to this team's success.
So there is no hope for 2022 then? C'mon, he is a great player, 2nd team All-American in fact, but there were 8 other guys on the field. What he does best for this team is that he is basically 2 roster spots, so next year you will need two players to do what he did.

So there is no hope for 2022 then? C'mon, he is a great player, 2nd team All-American in fact, but there were 8 other guys on the field. What he does best for this team is that he is basically 2 roster spots, so next year you will need two players to do what he did.
Bolt can find another second baseman but no question he will be missed as our closer, he was pretty much money coming in and reliving for us..

Reactions: saluno22
So is the plan for Matthews to play SS next year, or is there a new option coming in? When he filled in at 3B, Matthews looked to have plenty of arm to move to the left side, though playing SS obviously requires a more difficult range of throws.

Cervantes looks okay in the field but I can't see him hitting enough to be the everyday SS.

I know Class B Nebraska HS baseball isn't exactly D1, but I kinda wish Nolan Sailors from Ralston was headed to Nebraska instead of Creighton. That dude flat rakes and looked strong at SS. Saw him play a bunch this spring. I'm thinking Bolt should have some good recruiting building though.

So is the plan for Matthews to play SS next year, or is there a new option coming in? When he filled in at 3B, Matthews looked to have plenty of arm to move to the left side, though playing SS obviously requires a more difficult range of throws.

Cervantes looks okay in the field but I can't see him hitting enough to be the everyday SS.
My guess:

1B - Banjoff / Steil
2B - Chick
SS - Matthews
3B - Anderson

Bolt can find another second baseman but no question he will be missed as our closer, he was pretty much money coming in and reliving for us..
This. As a pure position player, Hallmark is the most valuable. Will be tough losing him.

Schwelly is the most valuable overall because you obviously have to account for his impact as a pitcher and position player. But as a pure position player, his production is replaceable.

Steil was a shortstop in high school.

My guess:

1B - Banjoff / Steil
2B - Chick
SS - Matthews
3B - Anderson
Alot can happen with Efry's bat between now and next spring as that was the reason that kept him off the field until Schwelly pitched. Efry in all honesty is a bit better than Schwelly in fielding, he just can't hit. If Efry can get his hitting down, the lineup will look like this.

1st Steil
2nd Mattews
SS Cervantes
3rd Anderson

LF Chick
CF (Calling my shot) Hallmark will be back
RF Same with Hallmark Acker

C Everitt, Hellstrom may come back as he isn't a super Senior either and then Wessel

Pitchers: We have a plethora with experience returning and a very, very outside possibility of Povich returning along with newcomers in Christo, Hood and Mason.

This team proved that they could play with the big boys even when the odds were stacked against us. The seniors mentioned may very well return as there is unfinished business and very well make Super's next year. Now the nation knows what we are about.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrighteRed24
Alot can happen with Efry's bat between now and next spring as that was the reason that kept him off the field until Schwelly pitched. Efry in all honesty is a bit better than Schwelly in fielding, he just can't hit. If Efry can get his hitting down, the lineup will look like this.

1st Steil
2nd Mattews
SS Cervantes
3rd Anderson

LF Chick
CF (Calling my shot) Hallmark will be back
RF Same with Hallmark Acker

C Everitt, Hellstrom may come back as he isn't a super Senior either and then Wessel

Pitchers: We have a plethora with experience returning and a very, very outside possibility of Povich returning along with newcomers in Christo, Hood and Mason.

This team proved that they could play with the big boys even when the odds were stacked against us. The seniors mentioned may very well return as there is unfinished business and very well make Super's next year. Now the nation knows what we are about.
I don’t see Povich returning. He should be drafted pretty high

I don’t see Povich returning. He should be drafted pretty high
There still is a very, very outside chance he may return. Stanger things have happened plus this team has some unfinished business.

This. As a pure position player, Hallmark is the most valuable. Will be tough losing him.

Schwelly is the most valuable overall because you obviously have to account for his impact as a pitcher and position player. But as a pure position player, his production is replaceable.

This! Hallmark had that swagger with him. I hope he returns for another Sr season… doubt it happens

Reactions: Herbert Husker
There still is a very, very outside chance he may return. Stanger things have happened plus this team has some unfinished business.
In my world, money trumps unfinished business. Coming back for a senior year won’t likely help his draft status, he no longer has leverage of going back. It’s like the senior basketball player.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT